[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 01:57:59 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 12:46:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 11:23:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Sac Man Cometh  (Read 10111 times)

Big tuna

• Walk-On
The Sac Man Cometh
« on: February 08, 2018, 07:55:34 PM »
Sacar’s play continues to trend upward!
The Sac man plays d, attacks the rim, takes care of the ball, and rebounds.  He will continue to improve in all areas and I believe his play will be the key to our success for years to come.  Well done Sacar!
Not mention he has a warrior attitude, not taking any crap.

real chili 83

• All American
Re: The Sac Man Cometh
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 08:32:06 PM »
THE ANSWER!

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 08:38:34 PM »
Great post.  Sacar trending upward for sure.  Bright future.  Saw someone mentioned Cain as a possible redshirt candidate for next year (a poster here), thought that would be brilliant - if we could convince Cain to do so. Give him a year to hit the weight room, and not lose a year of eligibility, when the playing time could be tougher to come by next year.

Side note:  Would it be fun or annoying for a player to have their "song" play when they check into a game?  Sacman = Enter Sandman.  Interesting they do it in baseball for guys coming up to bat.  Place for such a concept in basketball?

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 08:40:09 PM »
Sacar’s play continues to trend upward!
The Sac man plays d, attacks the rim, takes care of the ball, and rebounds.  He will continue to improve in all areas and I believe his play will be the key to our success for years to come.  Well done Sacar!
Not mention he has a warrior attitude, not taking any crap.

He's a strong but quiet presence on the floor. If he cleans up some of the easy mistakes, especially finishing better at the rim, he'll become a really strong 2 way guy. He earns his minutes on D right now, but the flashes we've seen of his offensive ability show real promise. A more experienced and more confident Sacar is going to be trouble for the Big East next year.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 10:53:59 PM »
Great post.  Sacar trending upward for sure.  Bright future.  Saw someone mentioned Cain as a possible redshirt candidate for next year (a poster here), thought that would be brilliant - if we could convince Cain to do so. Give him a year to hit the weight room, and not lose a year of eligibility, when the playing time could be tougher to come by next year.

Side note:  Would it be fun or annoying for a player to have their "song" play when they check into a game?  Sacman = Enter Sandman.  Interesting they do it in baseball for guys coming up to bat.  Place for such a concept in basketball?

No interest whatsoever in redshirting Cain.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 10:59:18 PM »
No interest whatsoever in redshirting Cain.

I don't hate it. I worry he could be a transfer risk looking ahead to next year's roster and minutes allocation.

With Markus, Greg, and Sacar seeming to be pretty well locked into the lineup at guard, I don't see Jamal getting a ton of minutes there. Then you have Sam and Joey likely getting a lot of minutes at the 3. I can see a scenario where Jamal is a 3rd option at the 2 and the 3rd option at the 3. Add in a grad transfer PG, and the minutes at the 2 and 3 get even more scarce for guys off the bench, ie- Jamal.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 11:04:49 PM »
I don't hate it. I worry he could be a transfer risk looking ahead to next year's roster and minutes allocation.

With Markus, Greg, and Sacar seeming to be pretty well locked into the lineup at guard, I don't see Jamal getting a ton of minutes there. Then you have Sam and Joey likely getting a lot of minutes at the 3. I can see a scenario where Jamal is a 3rd option at the 2 and the 3rd option at the 3. Add in a grad transfer PG, and the minutes at the 2 and 3 get even more scarce for guys off the bench, ie- Jamal.
Jamal will  play a major role next year.   
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 11:08:33 PM »
Jamal will  play a major role next year.

Do you think Joey will get many minutes? I feel like we'll be a little backlogged at the 2/3, which is good, but it can create some lineup problems. I think we'll have some good lineups with Morrow as the only big on the floor, which gives some flexibility to give Jamal some more minutes, but I'm not sure how often we'll go small like that.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 11:23:25 PM »
Do you think Joey will get many minutes? I feel like we'll be a little backlogged at the 2/3, which is good, but it can create some lineup problems. I think we'll have some good lineups with Morrow as the only big on the floor, which gives some flexibility to give Jamal some more minutes, but I'm not sure how often we'll go small like that.

Yes, Joey will get plenty minutes.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 11:33:48 PM »
Yes, Joey will get plenty minutes.

Who gets shorted or takes a step back from this year, then? I would agree that Joey probably gets a lot of minutes next year, and we know Markus and Sam are going to be getting 30-ish minutes. Sacar is trending up, and Greg's defense has been pretty good when needed this year, so where does Jamal figure in?

I love the depth next year at the 2 and 3, but I think Jamal is either a good reshirt candidate or a possible transfer risk. I know minutes tend to work themselves out, but I think they'll be hard to come by next year for guys like Jamal and Bailey.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 12:02:16 AM »
Who gets shorted or takes a step back from this year, then? I would agree that Joey probably gets a lot of minutes next year, and we know Markus and Sam are going to be getting 30-ish minutes. Sacar is trending up, and Greg's defense has been pretty good when needed this year, so where does Jamal figure in?

I love the depth next year at the 2 and 3, but I think Jamal is either a good reshirt candidate or a possible transfer risk. I know minutes tend to work themselves out, but I think they'll be hard to come by next year for guys like Jamal and Bailey.

All depends on what kind of offseason Jamal has. I could absolutely see him taking minutes from Greg and Sacar next season.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 12:28:04 AM »
If I was going to redshirt on anyone on what we assume will be next year's roster....it would be Theo.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 02:50:04 AM »
If I was going to redshirt on anyone on what we assume will be next year's roster....it would be Theo.

I dunno...I still like Theo wayyy more than Heldt going forward. Matt is Matt, Theo has a way higher ceiling.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 06:08:19 AM »
As it currently stands, there is a logjam everywhere except the point next year.    Markus will start.  Sam will start.  Morrow will probably start.   Lots of competition and lots of depth elsewhere.    I believe that it will work itself out.  Injuries,  transfers.  The best players will emerge.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 06:36:03 AM »
As it currently stands, there is a logjam everywhere except the point next year.    Markus will start.  Sam will start.  Morrow will probably start.   Lots of competition and lots of depth elsewhere.    I believe that it will work itself out.  Injuries,  transfers.  The best players will emerge.

And what will happen with the others? I think that's where the possible redshirt conversation, or the risk of transfer comes in. The offseason is key, with lots of depth and competition. Players will get squeezed out (assuming no injuries), and one or more could be disgruntled by what they see ahead of them. So, strategic redshirts may be key, but potential transfer(s) seem possible too.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2018, 06:56:51 AM »
40% of D-1 basketball players transfer.    I hate it and would really like to see what next year's team could be without it.    But I am not naive. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2018, 07:33:36 AM »
I dunno...I still like Theo wayyy more than Heldt going forward. Matt is Matt, Theo has a way higher ceiling.

Exactly,  so you give John another year to get closer to his potential. Matt you let graduate so you can another young player with high upside.

And while he was great against Providence, Theo has been the weakest of our three bigs this season. I think he could benefit from a redshirt year. Now if Providence becomes his new norm or close to it, then no.

We'll see what happens next year. If we don't get hit significantly by transfers I think we will see a redshirt. I think Harry or Theo are the most likely candidates. We'll need Jamal.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 08:35:29 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 07:39:13 AM »

I agree + I don't know why Theo would agree to this.  I know Prov. was just one game, but he is already showing the potential to take Matt's mins...let alone ceiling.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 07:59:02 AM »

Cain is not a 2 at all right?  He seems like a pretty clear 3 if you are going to put a label on him, so Marcus and Greg won't effect his min at all, Sacar is a 2/3 I would say, Sam and Joey are 3/4 with Joey more of a 4 lean and Sam more of a 3 lean.  Lots of flexibility at the 3 for Cain. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2018, 08:37:35 AM »
Cain is not a 2 at all right?  He seems like a pretty clear 3 if you are going to put a label on him, so Marcus and Greg won't effect his min at all, Sacar is a 2/3 I would say, Sam and Joey are 3/4 with Joey more of a 4 lean and Sam more of a 3 lean.  Lots of flexibility at the 3 for Cain.

Cain is absolutely a 2. He is also a 3 but I think will be at his deadliest when he can move over to the 2. He has all the speed, athleticism, and shooting necessary for the role. Can you imagine the mismatches he could create when he gets a little stronger and more confident?
TAMU

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2018, 08:39:45 AM »
Exactly,  so you give John another year to get closer to his potential. Matt you let graduate so you can another young player with high upside.

And while he was great against Providence, Theo has been the weakest of our three bigs this season. I think he could benefit from a redshirt year. Now if Providence becomes his new norm or close to it, then no.

We'll see what happens next year. If we don't get hit significantly by transfers I think we will see a redshirt. I think Harry or Theo are the most likely candidates. We'll need Jamal.

I agree with the concept, but think that Theo has shown us too much to agree to sit a year. I would be very surprised if he redshirts.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2018, 08:40:45 AM »
I see 3 centers,  2 guards right now,  then at the wings you have a starter in Sacar, Bailey, Sam, and Cain.  PF you have Morrow, Joey and Eke.  I said Cain would
be a good choice has he needs to add 20 pounds to his frame.  That will not happen overnight.  I see none of these kids transferring except maybe Cain, hope that
is not his move.  I think he has a great upside but he is so skinny.  It would really help him if he wants to go to the next level.  If MU had more guards, Elliott needs
to put on 20 pounds at least as well.  Herman I agree he will be very good in due time, but physically he good use an extra year to get stronger.  Four of those seven
will get extensive playing time.  Cain could be the 10th man on the squad with Bailey and Eke.  If those 2 bring anything to the table, MU will be really good.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2018, 08:47:47 AM »

why care who gets playing time, it's not 3rd grade y ball. whoever helps the team win will play if someone doesn't like it, oh well go to another team to get your participation ribbon.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2018, 08:52:41 AM »

Normally I would think Harry is the one you redshirt, but the guy has already sit out a year.   I just think if you redshirt John, you have no "physical option" at center for when you need it.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 08:55:24 AM »

I think a lot of 2's and 3's are fairly interchangeable in college. Wojo will have a lot of different lineups to play with next year, and if we don't get a grad transfer PG, I'm sure there will be some sets where Jamal is playing the 2 and some where he's at the 3. I would agree that he's a better natural fit at the 3, but he's definitely behind Sam right now, and if Joey lives up to his billing, Jamal may fall to #3 on the depth chart. If Markus shifts to the point, then Jamal may be the first guy off the bench to spell Sacar, but he'll have to earn that spot over Greg.

Maybe it'll work out that we go small a lot, and our only starting big man will be Morrow. In that case, you could have Markus, Sacar, Sam, and Joey in the starting lineup, and then Jamal is the first off the bench behind Sam or Joey. I think that's possible, but then we're leaving a lot of size on the bench, which could hurt too.

Lots of possibilities next year and lots of depth. It's a great problem to have, but it might be hard for all of our good guys to get a ton of minutes.

feedback