[Today at 06:46:15 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 59 %  (Read 6862 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: 59 %
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2018, 01:14:06 PM »
FG% isn't the relevant metric. Sure, 59% is bad no matter what, but why are we talking about such a strange % that lacks much meaning or comparability between teams/players/etc?

#FGpercentageIsIrrelevant
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2018, 06:32:16 PM »
It's a fair question if another coach could do better with this group. The answer is most definitely yes. I love Wojo but he's nowhere near the best coach in Division 1. But I think there is a ceiling on this group. Without harming the offense (for example sitting Howard and playing Elliott would make this a much better defensive team), I think the best this team could hope for is between 100-125 in defensive efficiency. Totally made up numbers on my part, just guessing
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2018, 07:36:02 PM »
I think Buzz could do better.   I think Buzz is a better coach.    However, Buzz never had a team this young.      This small, sure.   But stronger and more experienced.    One of the virtues of recruiting JUCO's with chips on their shoulders.   
    But seriously, look at the personnel.    9 players.   2<6' guards who play a ton of minutes because they are great shooters.    Two rail thin freshmen who are average height for their position.    1 6'5 SF who is actually a pretty solid on-ball defender, but frequently guarding bigger players.  Sam, who is a 6'7/6'8 PF who is very good on position, but not fleet of foot.   Two freshmen bigs.   Harry is a sophomore in eligibility, but he has played the same number of games as Theo.     And Matt,  a hardworking, serviceable big who also dominates no one physically.       
   MU is young.    The youngest in the Big East.    7 freshmen and sophomores.    MU's two starting guards may be the smallest duo in all of D1.   Certainly the smallest in a power conference.   Elliott and Cain are certainly showing signs that they are better defenders, but there are times, like last night, they are going to be physically dominated.   Physics.   Sam and Sacar are decent but not dominant.    The bigs played well against SH, which was running post ups to their bigs, struggled against the pick and roll and switches of Butler. 
   Do I think this collection of talent could be more consistent on defense with a different scheme?   With this roster, not huge improvement.     I think there are small changes that could be made, particularly to the weakside rotation on the high pick and roll.     But to do that, you might have to play two bigs at the same time or be willing to give up more open 3's.    To play two bigs, you might hurt the offensive flow. 
        That is why Wojo is going to keep rolling Harry out there.   If his offensive game takes off and he is able to play more minutes, it changes the potential personnel packages for defense.    Imagine Harry hitting 3's.    Now picture him being used similar to how Sam is or Henry was used.      Imagine this meaning that you could play him and Theo together 15 minutes a game.    Imagine, when Harry hedges on the high screen, it is Theo waiting for the roller instead of Rowsey.    Might that not impact the defense?
    But in the end, there are only so many options with a 9 man roster.   There aren't ways to hide two small, poor defending guards.   There aren't ways to magically make freshmen play like seniors.
You certainly are a wordy Debbie downer!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2018, 09:49:37 PM »

I think the defense will be better next year.  Rowsey graduating will do nothing but help on the defensive end.

Agreed. And yet it will be fun to read over and over again next season how much we Scoopers miss Rowsey!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2018, 08:00:18 AM »
Agreed. And yet it will be fun to read over and over again next season how much we Scoopers miss Rowsey!

I'm sure both will be true. Less Rowsey almost has to improve the defense. Maybe moreso less Rowsey and Howard together. But we'll also miss having that kind of shot maker. Just like how we miss this year what Reinhardt and JJ brought in terms of getting to the basket, or Luke's low post offense.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.