[Today at 11:23:04 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 08:37:46 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 59 %  (Read 6863 times)

Big tuna

• Walk-On
59 %
« on: January 12, 2018, 08:28:55 PM »
Butler shot 59%, 3 turnovers. Does this not describe ?unispired defensive effort? ?

Hmmm. MU back to sieve defense!  94 points.  Com?on,  you play this style and you?ll lose allot of games and win some entertaining games. Its not a formula to consistentlly win.   

How many times did we change our defense tonight?   

tower912

• All American
Re: 59 %
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 08:30:49 PM »
The pick and roll defense was poor.    Butler did a nice job of forcing a small to switch onto Martin.    And MU didn't double the post out of fear of interior passing.   Butler was far more ready for Marquette than Marquette was for Butler.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Big tuna

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 08:51:41 PM »
Your right . Play a zone after a time out for one possession, keep it on if they don?t score.  Press after a made free throw, etc etc. After a tv time out play a match up zone?  Trap the corners, double team the post. Etc etc.   Stop hedging at 1/2 court,  like the announcer said, the mu center had a long way to go to get back to lane. Change the ball screen coverage .

Mu is to easy to coach against because of lack of adjustments and defensive looks. But
most important Wojo?s gotta get these guys ready to go & get in peoples grill every second of the game.  Not sure  team was ready? Again, giving  up a 85 - 100 points is not a winning formula.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 08:55:31 PM »
The hedging on the screens really isn't that much of a problem.  Yeah it burned them a couple times, but the worse problems came with lack of communication on the pick and roll, or when our guards simply can't keep someone in front of them.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 09:01:56 PM »
The hedging on the screens really isn't that much of a problem.  Yeah it burned them a couple times, but the worse problems came with lack of communication on the pick and roll, or when our guards simply can't keep someone in front of them.

This is very true - the inability to stop the ball is the first breakdown. Then the lack of communication, hesitancy to help, or helping and without proper rotation kills this team.  Fundamental team defense stuff. 

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 09:17:30 PM »
Sam was upset on multiple occasions with the defensive miscues of AR, GE and Harry.

Big tuna

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 09:23:41 PM »
MU ranks 243 in the nation in defense.   Luv the offense but this is Very Bad!

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 09:41:09 PM »

Are you a Wisconsin fan or the current president. Can't quite tell which.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 09:55:23 PM »
When will we see a solid, consistent MU defensive team? The pick and roll, staying in front of your man, help defense - this is the 4th year of this.   What is the issue? We recruit only kids who cannot play defense?  Staff can?t teach defense?  Kids can learn but refuse to execute or forget every game?    We need a solution now. 

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 10:05:29 PM »
When will we see a solid, consistent MU defensive team? The pick and roll, staying in front of your man, help defense - this is the 4th year of this.   What is the issue? We recruit only kids who cannot play defense?  Staff can?t teach defense?  Kids can learn but refuse to execute or forget every game?    We need a solution now.

You're kidding, right? It's obvious that Marquette has two elite offensive guards (Rowsey and Howard) that have severe limitations defensively. God himself could come down and teach them defense and they would still be below average.

The only proven commodity defensively is Hauser and he can't guard everyone. Everyone else is either a freshman or completely unproven. I'm unsure how you're expecting them to be a good defensive team in spite of severe physical limitations and lack of experience.

Also - where were you and the rest after we had an excellent defensive game against Seton Hall? Some were calling it the best defensive effort game they had seen? Or did you miss that one.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 10:07:10 PM by yetipro »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 05:57:30 AM »
Didn't realize it was that bad. Those numbers certainly appear to qualify us for the dance.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 08:31:44 AM »
You're kidding, right? It's obvious that Marquette has two elite offensive guards (Rowsey and Howard) that have severe limitations defensively. God himself could come down and teach them defense and they would still be below average.

The only proven commodity defensively is Hauser and he can't guard everyone. Everyone else is either a freshman or completely unproven. I'm unsure how you're expecting them to be a good defensive team in spite of severe physical limitations and lack of experience.

Also - where were you and the rest after we had an excellent defensive game against Seton Hall? Some were calling it the best defensive effort game they had seen? Or did you miss that one.

Good points here but there are teams with much less defensive talent than us that play better defense.  Some of this is on Wojo's coaching.  This collection right now could not be a top 75 defense with anyone's coaching but 173rd?  That is simply awful.

Are these teams below more talented than us defensively?  Per Pomeroy here is who is better than us.  And let's remember Pomeroy adjusts for strength of schedule...

New Orleans
High Point
Sam Houston State
Little Rock
Florida International
Radford
Robert Morris
Florida Atlantic

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 08:40:03 AM »
I'd really like to see some 2-3 zone.  The 1-3-1 puts too much pressure on our center (none of which can play reliable defense), and is prone to giving up easy buckets.

Last night Butler was filling up the hoop inside.  Only extremely late in the game did they start knocking down 3s.

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 08:55:41 AM »
Didn't realize it was that bad. Those numbers certainly appear to qualify us for the dance.
It?s not that bad. Ken Pom says we are 173 after game last night. OP is wrong unless he?s trying To use another stat ranking.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 09:06:32 AM »
It?s not that bad. Ken Pom says we are 173 after game last night. OP is wrong unless he?s trying To use another stat ranking.

If we could hold teams to even 50% FG we could win a lot of games, but 59 and Nova shot 62 or there about is not going it to get it done. In all of our losses they killed us in the paint. I hope Morrow can help plug up that leak next season.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2018, 09:32:51 AM »

For SH, I was also saying it was the best defensive effort of Wojo?s tenure.  The fact remains, these are all Wojo?s recruits, and this is his 4th year.  This is the team he has recruited.  You know and I know you cannot go far without defense.   What do you suggest?   Yes our elite guards are elite offensively.  Yes we have freshmen and sophomores.  Yes Hauser is consistently the best defender.  So now what.  Wait til next year.  If you put these same guys with Huggins, do you think we?d be 173?  Or with Buzz?  Or with....   maybe.   Maybe not.   They are good, hard working kids and I love their never-quit effort. They have a good chemistry.  Maybe, maybe, future recruits, like our freshmen this year, will be tougher defenders from the get-Go.  Maybe the Big East toughness has moved the recruiting needle.   I love the three freshmen playing.  Maybe that is how future recruiting go.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2018, 09:44:19 AM »
For SH, I was also saying it was the best defensive effort of Wojo?s tenure.  The fact remains, these are all Wojo?s recruits, and this is his 4th year.  This is the team he has recruited.  You know and I know you cannot go far without defense.   What do you suggest?   Yes our elite guards are elite offensively.  Yes we have freshmen and sophomores.  Yes Hauser is consistently the best defender.  So now what.  Wait til next year.  If you put these same guys with Huggins, do you think we?d be 173?  Or with Buzz?  Or with....   maybe.   Maybe not.   They are good, hard working kids and I love their never-quit effort. They have a good chemistry.  Maybe, maybe, future recruits, like our freshmen this year, will be tougher defenders from the get-Go.  Maybe the Big East toughness has moved the recruiting needle.   I love the three freshmen playing.  Maybe that is how future recruiting go.

Buzz's teams were frequently cited here for poor defense.     Lack of size on the interior.  Gardner.    Poor switching that led to a wide open lay up against (Vandy? Wake?)    They got better as season's progressed, and he rarely gave time to freshmen because they didn't play defense to his standards or understand the complicated rotations.    And Buzz got skewered for that.     I loved Buzz's teams.    But don't rewrite history to say that everybody thought those teams played great defense all of the time.     Better than we are seeing now?    Yep.

But also, don't forget the people who lost their minds that Buzz would play Derrick, the best on-ball defender on those teams, in front of Dawson.     That he would play Juan instead of Deonte.     That he would not give Gardner 32 minutes a game.   Outraged that Buzz would give minutes to inferior offensive players who happened to play defense the way he wanted to and to the scouting report.    Jake.   Juan.   Derrick.   Otule.     Versus Deonte. Gardner.  May.   Jajuan.    Dawson. 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 09:50:28 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2018, 10:46:54 AM »
Buzz's teams were frequently cited here for poor defense.     Lack of size on the interior.  Gardner.    Poor switching that led to a wide open lay up against (Vandy? Wake?)    They got better as season's progressed, and he rarely gave time to freshmen because they didn't play defense to his standards or understand the complicated rotations.    And Buzz got skewered for that.     I loved Buzz's teams.    But don't rewrite history to say that everybody thought those teams played great defense all of the time.     Better than we are seeing now?    Yep.

But also, don't forget the people who lost their minds that Buzz would play Derrick, the best on-ball defender on those teams, in front of Dawson.     That he would play Juan instead of Deonte.     That he would not give Gardner 32 minutes a game.   Outraged that Buzz would give minutes to inferior offensive players who happened to play defense the way he wanted to and to the scouting report.    Jake.   Juan.   Derrick.   Otule.     Versus Deonte. Gardner.  May.   Jajuan.    Dawson.

Agree on all your points, including that it was better overall defense.  I?m just asking if you gave the same group to another coach, would we be 173?  Or is it just the personnel we have playing who just cannot play defense?

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2018, 10:56:09 AM »
Agree on all your points, including that it was better overall defense.  I?m just asking if you gave the same group to another coach, would we be 173?  Or is it just the personnel we have playing who just cannot play defense?

I vote it is both.  Personnel on this team are not good defenders right now.  At least the ones that have to get the most minutes.  However,  173rd?  I say coaching.  No reason this team could not be something like 110th.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2018, 11:23:52 AM »

I think Buzz could do better.   I think Buzz is a better coach.    However, Buzz never had a team this young.      This small, sure.   But stronger and more experienced.    One of the virtues of recruiting JUCO's with chips on their shoulders.   
    But seriously, look at the personnel.    9 players.   2<6' guards who play a ton of minutes because they are great shooters.    Two rail thin freshmen who are average height for their position.    1 6'5 SF who is actually a pretty solid on-ball defender, but frequently guarding bigger players.  Sam, who is a 6'7/6'8 PF who is very good on position, but not fleet of foot.   Two freshmen bigs.   Harry is a sophomore in eligibility, but he has played the same number of games as Theo.     And Matt,  a hardworking, serviceable big who also dominates no one physically.       
   MU is young.    The youngest in the Big East.    7 freshmen and sophomores.    MU's two starting guards may be the smallest duo in all of D1.   Certainly the smallest in a power conference.   Elliott and Cain are certainly showing signs that they are better defenders, but there are times, like last night, they are going to be physically dominated.   Physics.   Sam and Sacar are decent but not dominant.    The bigs played well against SH, which was running post ups to their bigs, struggled against the pick and roll and switches of Butler. 
   Do I think this collection of talent could be more consistent on defense with a different scheme?   With this roster, not huge improvement.     I think there are small changes that could be made, particularly to the weakside rotation on the high pick and roll.     But to do that, you might have to play two bigs at the same time or be willing to give up more open 3's.    To play two bigs, you might hurt the offensive flow. 
        That is why Wojo is going to keep rolling Harry out there.   If his offensive game takes off and he is able to play more minutes, it changes the potential personnel packages for defense.    Imagine Harry hitting 3's.    Now picture him being used similar to how Sam is or Henry was used.      Imagine this meaning that you could play him and Theo together 15 minutes a game.    Imagine, when Harry hedges on the high screen, it is Theo waiting for the roller instead of Rowsey.    Might that not impact the defense?
    But in the end, there are only so many options with a 9 man roster.   There aren't ways to hide two small, poor defending guards.   There aren't ways to magically make freshmen play like seniors.   

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2018, 11:34:05 AM »
I think Buzz could do better.   I think Buzz is a better coach.    However, Buzz never had a team this young.      This small, sure.   But stronger and more experienced.    One of the virtues of recruiting JUCO's with chips on their shoulders.   
    But seriously, look at the personnel.    9 players.   2<6' guards who play a ton of minutes because they are great shooters.    Two rail thin freshmen who are average height for their position.    1 6'5 SF who is actually a pretty solid on-ball defender, but frequently guarding bigger players.  Sam, who is a 6'7/6'8 PF who is very good on position, but not fleet of foot.   Two freshmen bigs.   Harry is a sophomore in eligibility, but he has played the same number of games as Theo.     And Matt,  a hardworking, serviceable big who also dominates no one physically.       
   MU is young.    The youngest in the Big East.    7 freshmen and sophomores.    MU's two starting guards may be the smallest duo in all of D1.   Certainly the smallest in a power conference.   Elliott and Cain are certainly showing signs that they are better defenders, but there are times, like last night, they are going to be physically dominated.   Physics.   Sam and Sacar are decent but not dominant.    The bigs played well against SH, which was running post ups to their bigs, struggled against the pick and roll and switches of Butler. 
   Do I think this collection of talent could be more consistent on defense with a different scheme?   With this roster, not huge improvement.     I think there are small changes that could be made, particularly to the weakside rotation on the high pick and roll.     But to do that, you might have to play two bigs at the same time or be willing to give up more open 3's.    To play two bigs, you might hurt the offensive flow. 
        That is why Wojo is going to keep rolling Harry out there.   If his offensive game takes off and he is able to play more minutes, it changes the potential personnel packages for defense.    Imagine Harry hitting 3's.    Now picture him being used similar to how Sam is or Henry was used.      Imagine this meaning that you could play him and Theo together 15 minutes a game.    Imagine, when Harry hedges on the high screen, it is Theo waiting for the roller instead of Rowsey.    Might that not impact the defense?
    But in the end, there are only so many options with a 9 man roster.   There aren't ways to hide two small, poor defending guards.   There aren't ways to magically make freshmen play like seniors.

Do you think Morrow next season will improve our defensive game?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2018, 11:38:13 AM »

Most definitely.  I think the defense will be better next year.  Rowsey graduating will do nothing but help on the defensive end.  Adding Morrow will help tremendously.  Add in another year of experience for the freshmen and sophomores (especially John who I think has made big strides this year), and I see no reason why it won't improve.

I think a big question for next year is can the offensive be diversified enough?  I think it will be.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 11:45:42 AM »
Yes.  But the last scholarship matters.  Also Joey and Brendan have size but both will need to shake rust.   But, for the sake of argument, who would you rather have collapsing from the weakside corner, Rowsey or Cain/Morrow/ Anim/Sam?  Who will contest at the rim more effectively?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2018, 11:49:04 AM »
Yes.  But the last scholarship matters.  Also Joey and Brendan have size but both will need to shake rust.   But, for the sake of argument, who would you rather have collapsing from the weakside corner, Rowsey or Cain/Morrow/ Anim/Sam?  Who will contest at the rim more effectively?
I am very bullish on Brendan Bailey. I think he is going to be a major force for us . A taller version of Markus with great basketball IQ.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2018, 12:27:32 PM »
Depends on the coach. I?m sure plenty could do better on defense, but would those same coaches get the same output on offense?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2018, 01:14:06 PM »
FG% isn't the relevant metric. Sure, 59% is bad no matter what, but why are we talking about such a strange % that lacks much meaning or comparability between teams/players/etc?

#FGpercentageIsIrrelevant
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2018, 06:32:16 PM »
It's a fair question if another coach could do better with this group. The answer is most definitely yes. I love Wojo but he's nowhere near the best coach in Division 1. But I think there is a ceiling on this group. Without harming the offense (for example sitting Howard and playing Elliott would make this a much better defensive team), I think the best this team could hope for is between 100-125 in defensive efficiency. Totally made up numbers on my part, just guessing
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2018, 07:36:02 PM »
You certainly are a wordy Debbie downer!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2018, 09:49:37 PM »

I think the defense will be better next year.  Rowsey graduating will do nothing but help on the defensive end.

Agreed. And yet it will be fun to read over and over again next season how much we Scoopers miss Rowsey!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2018, 08:00:18 AM »
Agreed. And yet it will be fun to read over and over again next season how much we Scoopers miss Rowsey!

I'm sure both will be true. Less Rowsey almost has to improve the defense. Maybe moreso less Rowsey and Howard together. But we'll also miss having that kind of shot maker. Just like how we miss this year what Reinhardt and JJ brought in terms of getting to the basket, or Luke's low post offense.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback