[Today at 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[Today at 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

If MU has a choice between Howland or Smart who would Scoop Nation hire?

Ben Howland
42 (42.9%)
Shaka Smart
56 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Tale of the Tape: Howland vs Smart  (Read 4547 times)

Big Papi

• All American
Tale of the Tape: Howland vs Smart
« on: March 23, 2014, 01:01:30 PM »
I don't know if Shaka Smart is an option but if he was, who would you hire between Howland and Smart?

In this corner, Ben Howland:

At the age of 56, has coached the likes of Pittsburgh for four years where he went to 2 Sweet Sixteens and most recently UCLA for 10 years where he went to 3 Final Fours but only made the NCAA 2 of his last 4 years before being let go for various reasons.  He is currently not coaching but is said to want the Marquette job.  He has a great winning record overall.  He prefers a defensive minded style of coaching and a slower tempo overall.  He has numerous players in the NBA including Westbrook and Love.  He should have recruiting success at MU as he is a proven long term winner.  He looks like a coach who could be here 10 years.

and in this corner, Shaka Smart:

At the age of 36, is 20 years younger than his opponent.  He is the current coach of VCU, his only head coaching position, and has been there for 5 years.  A Madison, Wisconsin native, he has 1 Final Four on his resume but has subsequently failed to reach the Sweet Sixteen.  He has a very good winning record overall.  He prefers to play an upbeat style of play called HAVOC.  In other words, lots of pressing and pushing the ball after opponent's misses and turnovers.  He should have recruiting success at MU as he plays a style that a lot of recruits would like to play.  He has bypassed other coaching opportunities so thought process is that he could be here awhile as he has shown loyalty to VCU.

You are the AD, who do you choose?

Blackhat

• All American
Re: Tale of the Tape: Howland vs Smart
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 01:02:26 PM »
You take the employed coach no doubt......winning at VCU, come on now.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 01:30:15 PM »
Of course, Ben Howland was unemployed this year so he'd be eligible to collect his 2.3 million from UCLA.  That's a kind of unemployment, that even I'd go for.

I still voted Shaka Smart.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 01:39:41 PM »
Two great candidates and MU would be in great hands with both....but I voted Shaka...just too many great qualities/reasons there to pass on if he were to say yes to MU..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

mhendrick

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 01:46:15 PM »
Howland has always had good bigs which would bode well for landing Stone, but I prefer Smarts style of play.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 01:47:49 PM »
Shaka

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 01:48:14 PM »
Howland.

If he's successful here - and the great likelihood is that he would be - this is probably his last stop.  Not sure that'd be the case with Shaka.

And Howland was let go because UCLA boosters weren't happy with "only" going to three Final Fours and not playing the "showtime" style that LA expects...so he succumbed to pressure to recruit guys he didn't want, and play a style of ball he wasn't comfortable with.  Ultimately (and not surprisingly), it didn't work out, and he lost control of kids he never really wanted to coach.  That was his biggest fault - succumbing to unreasonable demands of big boosters.  I kinda doubt MU boosters would be demanding "showtime" if he was winning like he did at Pitt and his early years at UCLA.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 01:50:12 PM by GooooMarquette »

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 01:51:17 PM »
Both are great coaches and Marquette would be in great shape if either one becomes the next coach. In the end I think Howland brings more stability to the job than Shaka. As soon as Shaka would have tournament success he would be a perennial candidate for job x or job y. And sooner or later Duke and Syracuse will have openings and he would definitely be a candidate. To be clear, that's my only conern about Shaka. I think Howland could view Marquette as a last stop kind of job and I'm all for getting a proven, winning coach and having him stay long term.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 01:54:41 PM »
I would definitely prefer Shaka but that is not to say I would in any way be disappointed with Howland.

I really think Shaka's style would fit our mold perfectly. Espeically with our current roster(assuming most stay/stay committed). I think his HAVOC would be gold with our guard heavy team.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 01:55:55 PM »
I would definitely prefer Shaka but that is not to say I would in any way be disappointed with Howland.

I really think Shaka's style would fit our mold perfectly. Espeically with our current roster(assuming most stay/stay committed). I think his HAVOC would be gold with our guard heavy team.

I prefer Howland, but agree with you.  Plus, Shaka keeps the "coolness" factor that the kids like (compared to Bo)

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 02:01:15 PM »
From 2009-2014 Marquette had an adjusted tempo of 67.0 possessions per game according to Pomeroy.  Ranking 155th.

during Howland's last 5 seasons at UCLA 2009-2013, their adjusted tempo was 66.9 possesions.  Ranking 156th.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 02:56:28 PM »
I went with Howland just because I don't think his name would come up every time job X opened up. He could win big here and we wouldn't constantly hear "Howland to _____." He was at a blue blood so I think he's slaked that thirst. Shaka is still a hot commodity, and deservedly so. I'd be thrilled at MU's potential with either though. That said, I think a lot of coaches could win a boatload of games here.

Go Warriors.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

mechaghidorah

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 02:59:55 PM »
Smart would be the cool, popular hire but Howland is a much smarter guy and better X's and O's coach.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 03:00:31 PM »
Shaka Smart is no sure thing. I have to go with Howland who has had success at two different big time programs.

Smart is more of a risk, if also more dynamic.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 03:03:55 PM »
I went with Howland just because I don't think his name would come up every time job X opened up. He could win big here and we wouldn't constantly hear "Howland to _____." He was at a blue blood so I think he's slaked that thirst. Shaka is still a hot commodity, and deservedly so. I'd be thrilled at MU's potential with either though. That said, I think a lot of coaches could win a boatload of games here.

Go Warriors.

If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

Retaining a big time coach for the long haul is the only way we get to elite status.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 03:06:54 PM by Stone Cold »

Wisco

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 03:06:21 PM »
Smart would be the cool, popular hire but Howland is a much smarter guy and better X's and O's coach.

I like how you are all over these threads, saying the same thing. Do you have an agenda? Richmond/ODU fan?

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 03:07:19 PM »
If you can stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

Retaining a big time coach for the long haul is the only way we get to elite status.

That's exactly why I chose Howland. No itchy feet. Sets the stage for future hires.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 03:25:02 PM »
Looks like this is coming down to new school vs. old school...
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 03:43:23 PM »
I'm very down with either hire if possible, voted for Shaka since I like that style of play and think kids these days want to play that style BUT Shaka probably only a 4-5 year gig before some blue blood comes calling, Howland would work well and be here longer
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2014, 03:53:34 PM »
Shake because of his age.

It's worth noting that Gregg Marshall is 51. Not old by any means, but also not young.
We Are Marquette

feedback