[Today at 06:46:15 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OT: Did the Brewers just trade Inman for a so-so relief pitcher?  (Read 6637 times)

Big Papi

• All American
Inman and 2 prospects for Linebrink.  A pitcher with horrible stats away from Petco field.  Oh brother.  Talk about a panic move.

http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=1&date=7/25/2007&id=26945

MUDPT

• All American
Re: OT: Did the Brewers just trade Inman for a so-so relief pitcher?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 09:17:02 PM »
He has been rumored to be coveted by Hendry for a long time, if that means anything.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 09:35:58 PM »
Linebrink is much better than so-so. He's struggled some away from San Diego this season, but over his career that's more exception than rule.

And it's worth pointing out that in 2005 and 2006 -- years in which the Padres were in a playoff race -- Linebrink's late season numbers were:

Aug.:  1-1, 2.31 ERA
Sept.: 5-2, 2.00 ERA

This what fans in baseball cities with competetive franchises call "going for it." Welcome to the club, Milwaukee.
Good teams trade away prospects for proven commodoties every year and very rarely does it come back to haunt them.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 09:42:44 PM by Pakuni »

ilovefreeway

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 09:58:54 PM »
Linebrink is much better than so-so. He's struggled some away from San Diego this season, but over his career that's more exception than rule.

And it's worth pointing out that in 2005 and 2006 -- years in which the Padres were in a playoff race -- Linebrink's late season numbers were:

This what fans in baseball cities with competetive franchises call "going for it." Welcome to the club, Milwaukee.
Good teams trade away prospects for proven commodoties every year and very rarely does it come back to haunt them.

Yeah, but this smells a lot like Jon Garland for Matt Krachner (sp)

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 10:10:34 PM »

I am all for "going for it" but I think we gave up too much for what we got in return.  I can't take the credit for this but here are some numbers from Dodds board on the numbers from Linebrink that I am referring to:

"Linebrink away from Petco: 6.05 ERA .313 BAA 5HR 25 hits in 19.1 IP" Ilovefreeway

"ERA is at a personal four-year high (3rd year in a row it has gone up), and since the ASG guys are hitting .360 against him.  That's not news - - last year he was tagged at a .304 clip after the ASG (not to mention a miserable WHIP). "  NYWarrior

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=415&F=2861#S=415&F=2861&T=755728

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought Inman is a very good young prospect who was rated as the Brewers 3rd best prospect after Braun and Gallardo.  Furthermore, there are a lot of great prospects that get traded that do end up haunting their former team.  I just feel theat the Brewers should have received more in return for the prospects they dealt but hey I will take this disappointment over the disappointment of not even being in contention.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 10:57:56 PM »

I am all for "going for it" but I think we gave up too much for what we got in return.  I can't take the credit for this but here are some numbers from Dodds board on the numbers from Linebrink that I am referring to:

"Linebrink away from Petco: 6.05 ERA .313 BAA 5HR 25 hits in 19.1 IP" Ilovefreeway

"ERA is at a personal four-year high (3rd year in a row it has gone up), and since the ASG guys are hitting .360 against him.  That's not news - - last year he was tagged at a .304 clip after the ASG (not to mention a miserable WHIP). "  NYWarrior

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought Inman is a very good young prospect who was rated as the Brewers 3rd best prospect after Braun and Gallardo.  Furthermore, there are a lot of great prospects that get traded that do end up haunting their former team.  I just feel theat the Brewers should have received more in return for the prospects they dealt but hey I will take this disappointment over the disappointment of not even being in contention.

I'll say this and leave it alone:

The Brewers are a franchise that haven't made a playoff appearance in 25 years.  They haven't sniffed a playoff race in 15 years. It's nice to say they have a good solid coore and will contend for the foreseeable future, but there's no way of knowing that. And there's no reason to believe the sCrubs won't continue to spend money like the NL version of the Yankees and that 2007 isn't a one-year abomination for the Cardinals.

Under those circumstances, I don't see how a fan could be upset about obtaining a proven reliever to bolster what might be a rare playoff opportunity in exchange for a Double-A pitcher with an ERA over 5.45, a decent relief prospect and a throw in. Yeah, it may not work out, but when you've been as miserable for so long as the Brewers, how do you not take a reasonable gamble to win now?

As for Inman's propsect rating, ingest with a large grain of salt. The Brewer's #1 prospects over the past decade have included the likes of Todd Dunn, Valerio de los Santos, Ron Belliard, Nick Neugebauer (twice) and Brad Nelson.

CWSKeith

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 11:14:57 PM »
Inman and 2 prospects for Linebrink.  A pitcher with horrible stats away from Petco field.  Oh brother.  Talk about a panic move.

Not really.  Linebrink is a free agent at season's end, and he'll qualify as a Type A free agent.  So if the Brewers offer him arbitration at the end of the year and he declines (they will and he will), the Brewers will get two top 50(ish) draft picks in the 2008 draft. 

This move adds nice depth for the Brewers.  Linebrink probably isn't as good as his ERA has indicated over the past few years, but he's still a nice set-up guy to have -- I'd rather have him than Turnbow, that's for certain. 

To hold off the Cubs, the only move I can really think of that will keep the Brewers on top is keeping Gallardo in the rotation once Sheets eventually comes back.  Gallardo is clearly the second best starter Milwaukee has (when everyone is healthy).  One of Vargas, Capuano or Bush (I'm a Sox fan so I'm not really sure who is and isn't going well for the Brewers right now) need to be pushed to the bullpen ASAP.  Other than that, there aren't a whole lot of trades out there that can really help Milwaukee.  Just gotta hope the young guys keep playing well; gotta hope Weeks heals up a bit and plays better for it; gotta hope the Mench/Jenkins platoon can pick it up a tad; and finally, gotta hope you get a little lucky.  God knows the Sox wouldn't have won it all in 2005 without some of those "bounces" going their way.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 11:51:05 PM »
Pakuni is right, besides he's a pitcher and you need quality arms down the stretch.  Good move IMO.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 05:54:01 AM »
Pakuni is right, besides he's a pitcher and you need quality arms down the stretch.  Good move IMO.

They coulda done much better, and should have considering how many MiLB arms they coughed up to make this work.

Linebrink is spent, just as he was in the 2H of last season when a number of teams backed off of pursuing him   Consider that he had a WHIP of 1.606 after the ASG (and owns a scary 2.11 WHIP since this year's ASG).

Linebrink BA against after the ASG in 2006:  .304 (.190 in 1H 2006)
Turnbow BA against after the ASG in 2006:  .309 (.223 in 1H 2006).

Linebrink BA against after the ASG in 2007:  .360 (.219 in 1H 2007)
Turnbow BA against after the ASG in 2007:  .333 (.173 in 1H 2007)

The Brewers still need bullpen help.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 07:30:13 AM by NYWarrior »

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 06:06:47 AM »
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 07:13:23 AM by NYWarrior »

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 07:05:33 AM »
He is one of the best holders in the league the past few years.  He keeps the team in the position they were in before he came in. If they have a lead, more than likely they will have a lead after he comes out of the game. That, and he has post season experience which is something they were looking for.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 07:34:59 AM »
He is one of the best holders in the league the past few years.  He keeps the team in the position they were in before he came in. If they have a lead, more than likely they will have a lead after he comes out of the game. That, and he has post season experience which is something they were looking for.

Lets hope.  Still, the numbers show Linebrink is in decline.  Here's another measure

ERA+ - K9
2004: 187, 8.89
2005: 210, 8.55
2006: 118, 8.09
2007: 106, 5.00

maybe a change of scenery can rejuvenate his stuff.

If it cost this much to get Linebrink (Thatcher alone has a 2.08 ERA and a 33/7 K/BB in 21 AAA innings), imagine the ransom the Royals will get for Dotel, or the Rangers for Gagne.Otsuka.

Wow.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 07:41:01 AM by NYWarrior »

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 09:01:32 AM »
This is called a panic move!!

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 09:13:02 AM »
Stop for a second...how many bad moves has Doug Melvin made?

I think he's earned a little benefit of the doubt.  He may know that those minor leaguers are just like Nelson Cruz, AAAA players.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 09:25:54 AM »

Not sure its a panic move.........but that's a helluva price to pay to rent an average middle reliever for two months.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 10:00:11 AM »

Not sure its a panic move.........but that's a helluva price to pay to rent an average middle reliever for two months.

and when he leaves the Brewers will get two top 50 picks. i dont know if that is really all that high. it is one more veteran arm who has post season experience - something the Brewers pen, and team, lack.
But I like to throw handfuls...

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 10:02:13 AM »
Wouldn't say it's a panic move. It's something the Brewers felt they needed to hold off the Cubs. Inman wasn't going to help them this year, Linebrink might. Teams have to do what they can while they have the chance. A few years from now all their good young players will be Yankees.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 10:16:22 AM »
Hold off the Cubs? Please.

If the Brewers were New Orleans, the Cubs would be Lake Pontchartrain. Unfortunately for Milwaukee fans, Hurricane Lou is just a few miles from shore.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2007, 10:19:52 AM »

They coulda done much better, and should have considering how many MiLB arms they coughed up to make this work.

Linebrink is spent, just as he was in the 2H of last season when a number of teams backed off of pursuing him   Consider that he had a WHIP of 1.606 after the ASG (and owns a scary 2.11 WHIP since this year's ASG).

Linebrink BA against after the ASG in 2006:  .304 (.190 in 1H 2006)
Turnbow BA against after the ASG in 2006:  .309 (.223 in 1H 2006).

Linebrink BA against after the ASG in 2007:  .360 (.219 in 1H 2007)
Turnbow BA against after the ASG in 2007:  .333 (.173 in 1H 2007)

The Brewers still need bullpen help.

Turnbow was on the Angels when I was there...never impressed...we cut him loose.  He's not the answer.

And Inman, again not overly impressed.  How he's had the success he's had this year is startling...screams flash in the pan.  I know he's projected as a 4th or 5th starter, but a guy that doesn't get to the 90's usually isn't going to make it unless your stuff is wicked.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 10:23:13 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

Chili

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2007, 10:22:20 AM »

If the Brewers were New Orleans, the Cubs would be Lake Pontchartrain. Unfortunately for Milwaukee fans, Hurricane Lou is just a few miles from shore.

Because the Cubs have a history of finishing strong......

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2007, 10:23:45 AM »

Or because the Brewers have a history of running away with divisions....

;D

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2007, 10:25:01 AM »

Turnbow was on the Angels when I was there...never impressed...we cut him loose.  He's not the answer.
[/quote]

The Angels also released Bobby Jenks, who's phenomenal. You've got to take into consideration that the Angels bullpen has been off the charts since their WS year.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2007, 10:28:26 AM »

And Inman, again not overly impressed.  How he's had the success he's had this year is startling...screams flash in the pan.

Not sure how you could be overly impressed with Linebrink (who was also once released, courtesy of the Astros).  Inman has actually struggled lately, but its early in his career.  Thatcher has been sick in AAA.  It is amazing that a rental middle reliever on the decline commanded three minor league pitching prospects.  The Royals must be salivating over Octavio Dotel's escalated value.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2007, 10:30:08 AM »

I cannot believe Brewers fans say stuff like this. If Cub fans were in the same situation as Brewer fans, the team would be giving out bobblehead dolls of Jerome Walton, Domingo Ramos and Luis Salazar every Friday night.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2007, 10:35:02 AM »

I cannot believe Brewers fans say stuff like this. If Cub fans were in the same situation as Brewer fans, the team would be giving out bobblehead dolls of Jerome Walton, Domingo Ramos and Luis Salazar every Friday night.

Speaking of the Cubbies and bobbleheads, I liked how after they traded Barrett, they had a Michael Barrett bobblehead day.  :)

Chili

• All American
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2007, 10:46:50 AM »

What?

Warrior Forever

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2007, 10:55:00 AM »

I'll say this and leave it alone:

The Brewers are a franchise that haven't made a playoff appearance in 25 years.  They haven't sniffed a playoff race in 15 years. It's nice to say they have a good solid coore and will contend for the foreseeable future, but there's no way of knowing that. And there's no reason to believe the sCrubs won't continue to spend money like the NL version of the Yankees and that 2007 isn't a one-year abomination for the Cardinals.

Under those circumstances, I don't see how a fan could be upset about obtaining a proven reliever to bolster what might be a rare playoff opportunity in exchange for a Double-A pitcher with an ERA over 5.45, a decent relief prospect and a throw in. Yeah, it may not work out, but when you've been as miserable for so long as the Brewers, how do you not take a reasonable gamble to win now?

As for Inman's propsect rating, ingest with a large grain of salt. The Brewer's #1 prospects over the past decade have included the likes of Todd Dunn, Valerio de los Santos, Ron Belliard, Nick Neugebauer (twice) and Brad Nelson.

The Cubs 2007 payroll ranks them 8th in MLB.  The Yankees is nearly double that of the Cubs.  Let's get our facts straight.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2007, 11:08:48 AM »

;D

Never said that now did I. But they don't have a history of screwing it up all the time.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2007, 11:31:35 AM »
The Cubs 2007 payroll ranks them 8th in MLB.  The Yankees is nearly double that of the Cubs.  Let's get our facts straight.

Speaking of getting our facts straight, why not re-read my post? I likened the Cubs to the Yankees of "the NL."
The Cubs, in fact, have the second-highest payroll in the National League and nobody spent more on free agents during the most recent offseason than they did ($300+ million!!!!).
Perhaps you would have preferred "like the Red Sox of the NL."  ::)

MarquetteDano

• All American
Salary arguments getting old
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2007, 11:44:56 AM »
These salary arguments are getting old.  First, people critique Cubs fans for going to games when the team doesn't spend money.  Now, we hear the Cubs are the Yankees of the National League.  This despite guys like Marmol, Theriault, Fontenot, Marshall, Hill, Zambrano, etc., who are home grown.

The hypocrisy of the arguments on the Cubs is getting old.  I would have more respect for someone to say, "I don't like the fans who come up to Milwaukee" or "I feel like they are all bangwagon fans".  At least base your dislike on opinion, but some supposed management issue you have with the team.

I saw numerous posts here about how the Cubs overpaid for players like DeRosa and Lilly and look how critical they have been to this team.  This is actually a well put together team.  Whether they get into the playoffs, we shall see.

I must say I do like the Nightmare "Lake Pontchartrain" comment.   ;D
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 12:51:15 PM by MarquetteDano »

Warrior Farls

• Walk-On
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2007, 12:26:56 PM »
Yeah, but this smells a lot like Jon Garland for Matt Krachner

That was a fantastic trade.  One of my favorites of all time.
"Roland was a warrior" -Warren Zevon

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2007, 12:44:00 PM »

The Angels also released Bobby Jenks, who's phenomenal. You've got to take into consideration that the Angels bullpen has been off the charts since their WS year.
[/quote]

Yeah, Jenks really came into his own...the Halos had him as a starter in the minors and he basically had one good year and 4 or 5 losing years.  The White Sox put him as a closer which was smart as hell.

NY, I'm not overly impressed with the player they got either, I just don't feel they gave up the farm like some seem to be thinking.  I do, however, put a extra amount of love on someone that has gone through the playoffs before which is one thing he has.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2007, 12:44:46 PM »

;D

Never said that now did I. But they don't have a history of screwing it up all the time.

I know...just playing with ya.

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Salary arguments getting old
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2007, 01:24:42 PM »
These salary arguments are getting old.  First, people critique Cubs fans for going to games when the team doesn't spend money.  Now, we hear the Cubs are the Yankees of the National League.  This despite guys like Marmol, Theriault, Fontenot, Marshall, Hill, Zambrano, etc., who are home grown.

The hypocrisy of the arguments on the Cubs is getting old.  I would have more respect for someone to say, "I don't like the fans who come up to Milwaukee" or "I feel like they are all bangwagon fans".  At least base your dislike on opinion, but some supposed management issue you have with the team.

I saw numerous posts here about how the Cubs overpaid for players like DeRosa and Lilly and look how critical they have been to this team.  This is actually a well put together team.  Whether they get into the playoffs, we shall see.

I must say I do like the Nightmare "Lake Pontchartrain" comment.   ;D

Sheesh ... would somebody bother reading my post before criticizing my point? Nowhere was I critical of the Cubs' spending.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2007, 06:22:39 PM »
I say let's get Peter Ladd out of retirement.  Now that was one great setup man!!