[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:00:30 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette Administration Shakeup continues  (Read 5057 times)

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
Marquette Administration Shakeup continues
« on: July 15, 2011, 03:38:42 PM »
Greg Kliebahn, Senior VP, announced he is retiring effective July 31

http://www.marquette.edu/newsbriefs/2011/Staff/July-2011-Staff/July-15-11-NB-STAFF.html

Good Riddance

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: Marquette Administration Shakeup continues
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 03:49:36 PM »
Greg Kliebahn, Senior VP, announced he is retiring effective July 31

http://www.marquette.edu/newsbriefs/2011/Staff/July-2011-Staff/July-15-11-NB-STAFF.html

Good Riddance

Why good riddance?

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 05:44:08 PM »
Another guy who has been a university employee almost literally since the day he graduated.

Good, let's clean out some of these positions that have been held by the same person or carousel of people for decades.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 06:38:21 PM »
Another guy who has been a university employee almost literally since the day he graduated.

Good, let's clean out some of these positions that have been held by the same person or carousel of people for decades.

MU is clearly on the down slope in basketball and its other programs....or you just want change for change's sake?  (that's certainly not always a happy ending)

We just lost the AD who helped get us to pretty damn near our apex even after the potential DISASTER of Crean acting like a high school dropout at his part time job, just walking off the campus at MU without notifying the boss(es).

Also wouldn't be surprised if the real crusty old hands on the BoT don't think outside the box (like someone (wild) had the nuts to do by hiring Cottingham) and bring in a mediocre has been/never will from another program for AD.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 06:40:54 PM by Stone Cold »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 07:06:17 PM »
If they do, people will complain and wonder why we couldn't get the AD from (fill in the blank with the name of some BCS school)   If they hire from within, people will complain(ibid).   If they take a chance on an up and comer, people will complain. (ditto)   I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that whoever we end up getting, people are going to complain and forecast doom.   Because our athletic department is clearly on a downslide  ::) and whoever we hire will merely confirm that.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 07:17:31 PM »
Yep, another head starts the roll. And Stoned, did you have to refer to Wild's courage with that metaphor?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 07:35:41 PM »
According to his MU website job description...
Greg Kliebhan is the senior vice president of Marquette University, assuming that role in 2002. Reporting to the president, Kliebhan is responsible for top university support functions, which include these divisions (NOTE:numbered parentheticals, and spacing divisions are added solely by me, here--to make the point below):
(1)
Administration,
Finance,
General Counsel,

(2)
Intercollegiate Athletics,
Marketing and Communication,
Ombudsperson,
Public Affairs,

(3)
Student Affairs
and
University Advancement.

and...oh yeah...he was also in charge of office supplies, and the copy room. lol

Greg  had an MU undergrad and Illini MBA...then worked solely at MU, since his 1976 graduation...rising up through the ranks....but...geeeeeeez....
you dont make a temp the CEO, just because he floated and worked every desk in the company, over time.

Before hiring any replacement, the job descriptions and various skill sets (look at the above range--wow!) need to be recast and split up...---or ...MU must hire  a true, experienced CEO (as big company CEO's act as executives, over this kind of broad range of departments). A CEO who would really know how to handle all these areas is worth 7 figures.

It will be likely that, in MUs price range,  no one can be found by MU who wont be weak in at least a third of these areas....I spaced the list (and added my own numbers, kind of roughly),  to show the three headed executive guy needed. We'll need a CEO with enough range to handle 1 and 2, as 3 should be easily handled and split off to others--and man oh man we'll need to pay a hefty figure to get an exec. with this skill range!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 12:01:24 AM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 07:39:34 PM »
Yep, another head starts the roll. And Stoned, did you have to refer to Wild's courage with that metaphor?

Another Pilarzing...queue up the Dunder Mifflin U. AD.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 07:50:43 PM »
If I'm Pilarz, I'm saying' clean this up before I take office.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 08:00:46 PM »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 08:30:31 PM »

Not the shoe drop I was talking about from a week ago.  Interesting.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 09:54:23 PM »
Essentially, this guy oversaw everything at the University with the exception of academics and admissions.  Interesting that he oversaw athletics, general counsel and PR.  Wow.

This is why you don't put an administrative guy in charge of PR.  Financial and legal guys tend to be more secretive and play things close to the vest.

Maybe Wild was around just a little too long and surrounded himself with the wrong guys...

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 11:37:16 PM »
Maybe Wild was around just a little too long and surrounded himself with the wrong guys...

This is the most insightful sentence I've seen on this board during this whole clusterf*ck.

Fr. Wild did a lot of good. But he was far from a strong leader, and deferred too often to those under him because he was afraid to pull rank. It's bit him in the ass more than once.

For the most part, people who spend entire careers in university bureaucracy lose touch easily. It's a very insular environment. MU's decision making is a fine example of this.

I would hope Fr. Pilarz looks outside of higher ed for this hire. While experience at a university is nice, having experience managing others in a professional environment outweighs it, IMO.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 12:59:31 AM »
If they do, people will complain and wonder why we couldn't get the AD from (fill in the blank with the name of some BCS school)   If they hire from within, people will complain(ibid).   If they take a chance on an up and comer, people will complain. (ditto)   I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that whoever we end up getting, people are going to complain and forecast doom.   Because our athletic department is clearly on a downslide  ::) and whoever we hire will merely confirm that.  

We're at a high point, change couldn't have come at a worse time was my point.  

And 4never the best compliment I could ever give Wild is he has nuts the size of his head.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 01:21:43 AM by Stone Cold »

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 01:36:25 AM »
This is the most insightful sentence I've seen on this board during this whole clusterf*ck.

Fr. Wild did a lot of good. But he was far from a strong leader, and deferred too often to those under him because he was afraid to pull rank. It's bit him in the ass more than once.

For the most part, people who spend entire careers in university bureaucracy lose touch easily. It's a very insular environment. MU's decision making is a fine example of this.

I would hope Fr. Pilarz looks outside of higher ed for this hire. While experience at a university is nice, having experience managing others in a professional environment outweighs it, IMO.
Great point....we BB fans see so much of the position shakeups, as related to the recent incidents, when an equally plausible base is that house clearing is ongoing now while Wild is still here, letting the older regime, clear the slate...plow the old crop under leaving a new field for Pilarz to plant, sow and reap.
This way Pilarz is not the bad guy doing the clearing/firing, it doesnt imply he's insulting of Wild's crew/regime, and he'll take office with nothing but vacancies to fill---this is better, and less political for both he and Wild's legacy.
Regardless of the incidents, and press this might would have been a summer of changes, in any case--due to the Wild/Pilarz transition in a few weeks.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 01:38:04 AM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2011, 01:41:42 AM »
Like I said, this isn't the shoe drop that I had heard of.  Not sure if it has anything at all to do with the recent events.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2011, 05:29:16 AM »
Well then, I hope Pilarz has nuts the size of Crean's head, so he will actually change the nickname back to Warriors, as it needs to be.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2011, 06:54:26 AM »
Why good riddance?

Wild-designated "bad cop."
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2011, 11:43:16 AM »
Well then, I hope Pilarz has nuts the size of Crean's head, so he will actually change the nickname back to Warriors, as it needs to be.

+1

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2011, 08:20:06 PM »

you the man and you must have big'ons just to breach "that topic" cuz everyone just blows blood vessels over "it"

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2011, 06:52:21 AM »
MU is clearly on the down slope in basketball and its other programs....or you just want change for change's sake?  (that's certainly not always a happy ending)

We just lost the AD who helped get us to pretty damn near our apex even after the potential DISASTER of Crean acting like a high school dropout at his part time job, just walking off the campus at MU without notifying the boss(es).

Also wouldn't be surprised if the real crusty old hands on the BoT don't think outside the box (like someone (wild) had the nuts to do by hiring Cottingham) and bring in a mediocre has been/never will from another program for AD.

i don't quite see this as the "doomsday" that you do stoner.  it might be just in time to clean out some dead wood and pick up where we left off(winning!).  i believe many look at mu's situation and see good things in the making sans the recent bad behavior.  it's not like we are georgia tech or "the" ohio state buck-ups.  the bad behavior exhibited within our institution can be corrected and we will come out of it better people with the right people in charge

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 08:24:30 AM »

A little dramatic, no?

We had a coach opt for a better program a couple years after seemingly half the fanbase wanted him fired. Or, that's what I've been reading since 2008 so it couldn't have been all bad.

Besides, Cottingham didn't hire Buzz.

feedback