[Today at 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: History Channel Special on Gettysburg  (Read 10977 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: History Channel Special on Gettysburg
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2011, 10:45:11 PM »
Ah. Makes sense. I read the book a couple years ago and found it facinating.

But was it fascinating?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2011, 12:13:46 AM »
Watching it now. Its ok. A little over-produced. Pales in comparison to ken burns.

Ken Burns had plenty of issues with his stuff over the years as well.  Again, bias knows no bounds when it comes to who is telling the story and the lens they use...nothing wrong with that as it's human nature but too many people watch these things and think its the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2011, 07:40:42 AM »
Ken Burns had plenty of issues with his stuff over the years as well.  Again, bias knows no bounds when it comes to who is telling the story and the lens they use...nothing wrong with that as it's human nature but too many people watch these things and think its the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth

I was specifically talking about the production quality of the presentation.  Some of the stuff I see from History Channel is informative, but they really could tell the same story in about half the time because they constantly re-tell the same things and are overuse the "acting."

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2011, 08:09:23 AM »

One of the best things I heard, and what I tell my students - is that History is NOT concrete.  Very rarely do we have information that is the end all be all.  And I advise them that since history is not concrete - be open to ask questions, do some investigation, and personalize yourself with History - over the year, I would say about 60-70% understand this message and follow the instructions.

And yes, I do watch How the States get their Shapes - it's ok, I learn new information I didn't have a clue about.  It is better then a lot of the stuff they have on the History Channel these days.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2011, 12:30:22 PM »
One of the best things I heard, and what I tell my students - is that History is NOT concrete.  Very rarely do we have information that is the end all be all.  And I advise them that since history is not concrete - be open to ask questions, do some investigation, and personalize yourself with History - over the year, I would say about 60-70% understand this message and follow the instructions.

And yes, I do watch How the States get their Shapes - it's ok, I learn new information I didn't have a clue about.  It is better then a lot of the stuff they have on the History Channel these days.

what, ax men and swamppeople isn't historical enough for you? :P

I was shocked to turn on history a week or 2 ago and see a show on the war of 1812.  didn't get to watch much, but it was nice to actually see them run a show where you could learn something.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2011, 03:06:00 PM »
Did anyone sit down and watch this last night?  If so, I was just wondering what your responses were to the documentary.  As a US History teacher, and who takes his students to Gettysburg, PA every year - I will hold my opinions on the documentary - I just want others opinions.

A very good friend of mine is a Civil War buff.  It's his hobby.  He's an attorney with an undergrad degree in general studies.  Said he only took one history class in college and that they never covered the Civil War.  He's been to Gettysburg a dozen times "just for the hell of it," nearly every place of significance in Georgia and the Carolinas, sends a $100 bottle of wine every Christmas to an acquaintance who happens to be a great-great-great grandson (or something like that) of a wealthy landowner that attended West Point with Grant (and gave him some priceless letters, memorabilia, etc.), buys any documentary, book, etc. published on the topic... it's freakish how he can rattle on for hours about how someone's three-legged blind cat caught a field mouse one day and that set off a chain of events that ultimately led to Sherman being dubbed Uncle Billy by his men.

I'm still burnt out on the six-hour lecture he gave me on the Civil War a few years ago while we waited for one of his clients to show up for court.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2011, 04:21:07 PM »
As the Battle of Gettysburg sesquicentennial approaches, you may want to read THE KILLER ANGELS by Michael Shaara.  Very readable look at the personalities /behaviors of the principal generals/leaders leading up to and during the battle.  The book is historical fiction, a very fast read, utterly absorbing and a wonderful intro to this complex pivotal battle of the Civil War.
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2011, 05:50:33 PM »

You are an A+ teacher for teaching that way in my opinion.  Well done.   My kids come home from school and everyday I try to ask them about what they learned in school.  There are days when I hear what they learned and how concretely driven into their heads it was and I ask if the teacher said this was absolute or open for interpretation.  Certain things, math principles and such, are absolute.  Other subjects are not....history is one of them.  Let's put it this way, I enjoy parent teacher meetings.   ;D

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2011, 11:31:06 PM »
You are an A+ teacher for teaching that way in my opinion.  Well done.   My kids come home from school and everyday I try to ask them about what they learned in school.  There are days when I hear what they learned and how concretely driven into their heads it was and I ask if the teacher said this was absolute or open for interpretation.  Certain things, math principles and such, are absolute.  Other subjects are not....history is one of them.  Let's put it this way, I enjoy parent teacher meetings.   ;D

One of the best things I got from a parent was she came up and said "What are you doing to my daughter... you are turning her into a nerd - instead of her normal TV, I am catching her watching historical things..."

To tell you the honest truth - my goal for the class is to gain an understanding of the history, but also an appreciation and a respect - and to enjoy it so that when they leave my classroom, learning doesn't cease.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2011, 09:18:50 AM »
One of the best things I got from a parent was she came up and said "What are you doing to my daughter... you are turning her into a nerd - instead of her normal TV, I am catching her watching historical things..."

To tell you the honest truth - my goal for the class is to gain an understanding of the history, but also an appreciation and a respect - and to enjoy it so that when they leave my classroom, learning doesn't cease.
Keep up the great teaching effort. Teaching continuing thought, and lifetime learning is a priceless gift you are imparting.
I am addicted to documentaries, and find the Netflix instant download service(appleTV, Roku, new HDTV sets --for access), are loaded with commercial free History Channel, PBS, and independent (not aired elsewhere) docus.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2011, 07:58:55 PM »

Nice compliment.  My son was doing some Roman history the other day in 6th grade and he got done with his report and said to me..."I love this stuff...I love history....I'm a total nerd about this stuff"

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2011, 10:17:33 AM »
Not really related to Gettysburg, but it is related to the Civil War.

Who had the best Civil War Facial Hair?

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/Who-Had-the-Best-Civil-War-Facial-Hair.html
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2011, 10:40:10 AM »
I'm going with Alpheus Williams and the rest of you are wrong.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2011, 03:20:09 PM »
I think you have to go with the only one on that list that has a hair "style" named after them, Ambrose Burnside is the answer and its not even close.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2011, 07:11:59 PM »
Surprised Peyton Manning didnt hand deliver it himself.... :-[

Like I said, they've been a bit busy, but have it on good authority they are huge Gettysburg buffs.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/06/10/peyton-manning-eli-manning-directv-commercial-police-officers-ads/

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2011, 08:04:27 PM »
I think you have to go with the only one on that list that has a hair "style" named after them, Ambrose Burnside is the answer and its not even close.
Yup
Best hair , on top, was the flowing locks of the youngest  general, George Armstrong Custer, as he led those fightin' Wolverines
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2011, 09:58:17 PM »
The better question is:  Can we bring the facial hair styles of the 1860's back?

leever

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2011, 08:48:23 AM »
The better question is:  Can we bring the facial hair styles of the 1860's back?

Let's start with Buzz!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2011, 02:18:57 PM »

Have you seen some of the major league bullpens lately?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2011, 03:29:48 PM »
Have you seen some of the major league bullpens lately?
Best baseball facial hair--
75 Brewers
White Sox in the 70s,
 and all of MLB before the turn of 1900