[May 06, 2024, 10:32:52 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[May 06, 2024, 05:19:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1117021 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #9825 on: March 02, 2021, 11:41:43 PM »
Not that you give a rip but if you do here are the temp controlled shipping containers we’re now using

I actually give lots of rips.  This really isn't the right thread for discussing immigration (we don't really have one of those  :P).  But the article you link mentions these are for unaccompanied minors.  A difficult situation to manage no matter your politics, I think you'd agree.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 11:46:29 PM by rocky_warrior »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9826 on: March 03, 2021, 12:12:05 AM »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1259282

Not much more to the story....about 7% of migrants are testing positive and being sent on their way with the recommendation to isolate.

Sounds like they are treating the migrants pretty much the same as they treat everybody else. Not the perfect solution, but a definite improvement.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #9827 on: March 03, 2021, 06:03:08 AM »
I’d rather we encourage and enforce the legal process of immigration.  And if you haven’t been following the news we are currently putting housing them in cages storage bins.

You'll be happy to note, that they are following the legal process of immigration. People have the legal right to seek asylum, which is what is going on in the articles you linked.

Now, onto the TX governor who is neither following any laws, or scientific evidence, in making a decision which will kill people. Even business analysts say this may actually make the economy worse (as some people now stay home for fear of COVID, and/or increased spread slows business). Why, for political gain and to distract from his failures regarding energy.

Also, per the TX governor, those asylum seekers you are worried about will no longer be required to wear a mask.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 07:05:37 AM by forgetful »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9828 on: March 03, 2021, 07:15:53 AM »
The Texas governor is making a political decision to try to distract from the last political, economic, societal calamity that occurred in Texas.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #9829 on: March 03, 2021, 07:25:11 AM »
You'll be happy to note, that they are following the legal process of immigration. People have the legal right to seek asylum, which is what is going on in the articles you linked.

Now, onto the TX governor who is neither following any laws, or scientific evidence, in making a decision which will kill people. Even business analysts say this may actually make the economy worse (as some people now stay home for fear of COVID, and/or increased spread slows business). Why, for political gain and to distract from his failures regarding energy.

Also, per the TX governor, those asylum seekers you are worried about will no longer be required to wear a mask.

🤦‍♂️

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9830 on: March 03, 2021, 07:31:54 AM »
Why, for political gain and to distract from his failures regarding energy.

He learned from the best. This is classic, Trumpian misdirection.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #9831 on: March 03, 2021, 07:47:33 AM »
I actually give lots of rips.  This really isn't the right thread for discussing immigration (we don't really have one of those  :P).  But the article you link mentions these are for unaccompanied minors.  A difficult situation to manage no matter your politics, I think you'd agree.

You’re right, started to veer off the side of the road from where the original conversation started.  Agree 100% on a difficult situation no matter what angle you’re looking at it from.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #9832 on: March 03, 2021, 08:13:51 AM »
I’d rather we encourage and enforce the legal process of immigration. 

That's cool...until children without parents show up at the border.  Then what do you do?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #9833 on: March 03, 2021, 08:20:22 AM »
I chuckled when I saw a FB post about how how their freedoms were restored because of the mask mandate being taken away.

I probably have limited my social interaction more than the average person, but I would feel less comfortable going out to shop or even our child’s daycare if the mask mandate was dropped. Does that mean my freedoms are being taken away by no mask mandate?

With us being so close to the end of this, it feels like just keep it until early June when almost everyone is vaccinated.

Full disclosure, I’ve been able to work from home since the start of this and other than a temporary pay cut, our livelihood hasn’t really been impacted. So my frame of reference could be missing a lot.

Rolling back business restrictions isn’t a bad thing if done right. I don’t know exactly the restrictions in Texas. I just feel this is a bad idea.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #9834 on: March 03, 2021, 08:40:49 AM »
I chuckled when I saw a FB post about how how their freedoms were restored because of the mask mandate being taken away.

I probably have limited my social interaction more than the average person, but I would feel less comfortable going out to shop or even our child’s daycare if the mask mandate was dropped. Does that mean my freedoms are being taken away by no mask mandate?

With us being so close to the end of this, it feels like just keep it until early June when almost everyone is vaccinated.

Full disclosure, I’ve been able to work from home since the start of this and other than a temporary pay cut, our livelihood hasn’t really been impacted. So my frame of reference could be missing a lot.

Rolling back business restrictions isn’t a bad thing if done right. I don’t know exactly the restrictions in Texas. I just feel this is a bad idea.

By having the option to weigh the risk reward of going out to partake in shopping etc is all people have been asking for.

By shutting business down it eliminates that option, hence the “we want our freedom back” crowd (which I think is silly).

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #9835 on: March 03, 2021, 09:00:03 AM »
By having the option to weigh the risk reward of going out to partake in shopping etc is all people have been asking for.

By shutting business down it eliminates that option, hence the “we want our freedom back” crowd (which I think is silly).

I can agree with the opening businesses. Frankly, I’m not totally sure what the restrictions are in Wisconsin. It seems mostly limited indoor dining and large gatherings. Obviously the festivals and sporting events are a big hit to the local economy.

But that should be independent of masks. I mean is wearing a mask preventing anyone from doing anything outside of those with health conditions that shouldn’t wear masks? Which seems to be a select few, and they’d probably be at the greatest risk of Covid anyways.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #9836 on: March 03, 2021, 09:08:49 AM »
over 100 covid positive"migrants" have been released into our country since end of january??  they won't let you fly if you are covid positive
don't...don't don't don't don't

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #9837 on: March 03, 2021, 09:33:00 AM »
I can agree with the opening businesses. Frankly, I’m not totally sure what the restrictions are in Wisconsin. It seems mostly limited indoor dining and large gatherings. Obviously the festivals and sporting events are a big hit to the local economy.

But that should be independent of masks. I mean is wearing a mask preventing anyone from doing anything outside of those with health conditions that shouldn’t wear masks? Which seems to be a select few, and they’d probably be at the greatest risk of Covid anyways.

Agree with you here.  I think the most logical next step is to open everything up with no restrictions but keep mask mandates in place til June 1.

If states are going to continue to drop their local mask mandates why can’t Biden swoop in and put in place a national mask mandates from sea to shining sea?  That is of course what everyone was demanding the previous administration do.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #9838 on: March 03, 2021, 09:46:26 AM »

The short answer is YES.

I made this argument a while back when the anti-maskers said that the compromised individuals should remain home and let the rest of the population go about its business.  And when some claimed a medical condition or some sort of PTSD should allow them to not wear a mask.  If that is the case, and you cannot wear a mask, you stay home like you are arguing the compromised individuals should.

Here in Burlington it seems no one cares any more. Restaurants and bars are busy, at least it seems that way due to the number of automobiles parked outside them as I drive by.  I have not been in any for over a year, so....  I will continue to do my part to keep mine safe.  I just hope the idiots running around catching covid don't create an escape variant that the vaccines do not protect against.  The world does not need to start over on the period of time we need to endure this.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9839 on: March 03, 2021, 09:47:11 AM »
over 100 covid positive"migrants" have been released into our country since end of january??  they won't let you fly if you are covid positive

You're implying that migrants are somehow more careless about covid than the average American.  You see how that is a tad on the racist side, right?

And no one should fly if they are covid positive, so what's your point? 

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #9840 on: March 03, 2021, 10:22:47 AM »
You're implying that migrants are somehow more careless about covid than the average American.  You see how that is a tad on the racist side, right?

I think his point is migrants at the border have more freedom of movement then Americans have had for almost a year within our own country.  We weren’t able to go to Illinois without quarantine, public shaming, etc but we’re allowing Covid positive non-citizens to be released out into communities and the response is “oh well”?

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #9841 on: March 03, 2021, 10:23:26 AM »

How is that comment racist?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #9842 on: March 03, 2021, 10:26:02 AM »
Agree with you here.  I think the most logical next step is to open everything up with no restrictions but keep mask mandates in place til June 1.

If states are going to continue to drop their local mask mandates why can’t Biden swoop in and put in place a national mask mandates from sea to shining sea?  That is of course what everyone was demanding the previous administration do.

Nope.  People were suggesting that Trump encourage the states to follow CDC's advice.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9843 on: March 03, 2021, 10:31:01 AM »

Not entirely sure it's racist. It's something, but not racist. I mean he didn't say "all these people are latinx so they definitely have Covid" it was more an insinuation that because the countries these people come from are lacking infrastructure and they've been living in close quarters that they definitely have Covid.
Maigh Eo for Sam

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #9844 on: March 03, 2021, 11:56:16 AM »
CDC set to announce today that once vaccinated you can go about your daily life without a mask.  That’s the change in messaging tone needed to get more needles in arms, let’s go!!!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9845 on: March 03, 2021, 11:58:00 AM »
CDC set to announce today that once vaccinated you can go about your daily life without a mask.  That’s the change in messaging tone needed to get more needles in arms, let’s go!!!

This I agree with. The difference in dangling that fruit to incentivize unenthusiastic individuals vs keeping with the "we may be wearing masks into 2022" message will be huge to getting people vaccinated and the economy bumping.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #9846 on: March 03, 2021, 12:10:08 PM »
Do you get to weigh the risk reward of driving through red lights at intersections?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #9847 on: March 03, 2021, 12:20:14 PM »
Do you get to weigh the risk reward of driving through red lights at intersections?

Yes, I’ve taken that risk reward balance into an account on more then one occasion when facing a red light.  I’m sure you have as well.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #9848 on: March 03, 2021, 01:37:59 PM »
Yes, I’ve taken that risk reward balance into an account on more then one occasion when facing a red light.  I’m sure you have as well.
Nah, man. You should do it ALL the time. YOU should be the one to decide whether to put yourself and others at risk, not Big Gubmint.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9849 on: March 03, 2021, 02:12:50 PM »
Just read that it was 1 year ago today that NC recorded its first case of COVID-19.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson