[Today at 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[Today at 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New AD  (Read 2266 times)

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
New AD
« on: April 06, 2007, 10:19:42 AM »
So I have not been on here long. I am just curious as to if anyone knows who and what Marquette is looking for in the AD search. I mean is Jack Harbaugh a candidate or is his position as assistant AD more Honorary. Also I want an AD who will consider trying to start at Hockey Program at Marquette. I think it could give them another revenue sport.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
Re: New AD
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 10:44:52 AM »
So I have not been on here long. I am just curious as to if anyone knows who and what Marquette is looking for in the AD search. I mean is Jack Harbaugh a candidate or is his position as assistant AD more Honorary. Also I want an AD who will consider trying to start at Hockey Program at Marquette. I think it could give them another revenue sport.

Yeah because the NHL drives so much revenue.   ;D Honestly, I just don't see that many folks caring much about Hockey any more.  Baseball on the other hand could be a sport that draws more interest and revenue to MU.  I personally want a guy that will bring football back but we know that will never happen.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 10:47:02 AM »
A club hockey team was started 3 years ago and has made significant strides building for the future each season. Interest level is high on campus but I certainly think we are a LONG ways away from starting a varsity sport.

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
    • The Truth
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 10:48:23 AM »
I understand all that I just would like to see another sport that could bring more fan interest to Marquette athletics. I cannot see an instance of not selling out if Milwaukee had a D-1 hockey team in it.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 11:47:10 AM »
Hockey will never happen...men's sport, huge costs involved.  Just as football won't happen.

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
    • The Truth
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 11:50:29 AM »
True but they could ass both a men's and women's team and then men's team would MAKE money. Its not like they'd have to build a brand new football stadium along with football practice fields. It isn't the same cost as Football plus you give out less Scholarships. Football at Marquette is more kept down by title IX then pure money issues, at this point. 85 Scholarships vs. Maybe 20 you would have to match with a  female sport. I am just saying ti could be a viable sport if they were willing to take the risk.

~Al McGuire

~Robert Heinlein

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 12:13:55 PM »
I don't know about Hockey. I personally never got into it and wouldn't be interested in season tickets myself (and I'm guessing that guarenteed money is what the school would look for). I thought the Admirals weren't doing so hot financially, too, although a quick JSOnline search doesn't seem to validate that thought.

I'd have no problem if it were popular and self-sustaining. Maybe, as a hockey school, you'd get more hockey fans at MU and it would become profitable (or at least net zero). I wouldn't want to see money and resources taken away from BB, though. That's our bread and butter (and meat and potatoes and desert)...
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

MonsterWebWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 03:46:20 PM »
I don't know why, but I wouldn't mind seeing a LaCrosse team.  LaCrosse is big out east in private schools, and I sometimes think Marquette resembles an east coast school mis-placed in the midwest.  I'd say that is a sport that is getting more popular, as opposed to hockey which I feel is getting less popular.   I'd rather get in early on Lacrosse so we're good in it by the time the sport really does get popular.

I obviously most want to see a football team first and foremost, but if that is out of the question, lacrosse would be my next choice.
"We need to get back to eating hamburgers."  - Buzz Williams

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
    • The Truth
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 03:52:22 PM »
That is a definate posibbility it could fill the need for a good spectator sport in the Spring and anyoen who has watched it before knows its exciting. Plus Marquette could help grow the sport in Wisconsin. I played in High School as did both my sisters adn father and we all believe it is going to be the fastest growing Sport in America one day.

~Al McGuire

~Robert Heinlein