collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Why are so many college freshmen leaving Illinois? (MU is a Top Choice!)  (Read 4761 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Why are so many college freshmen leaving Illinois? (MU is a Top Choice!)
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2018, 04:11:10 PM »
Several friends with kids who have done the MO residency.  Crazy.  But it works.

Why does season 1 of Ozarks (Netflix) come to mind???

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2018, 05:31:28 PM »
Several friends with kids who have done the MO residency.  Crazy.  But it works.

There are other ways to beat high tuition costs. My daughter went to community college her first two years. It was cheaper then the tuition for catholic grammar school about 2.5k. All her credits transferred and she got her BA 2 years later from Rutgers. We saved 50% of her college savings which she used to get her RN.

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2018, 05:47:20 PM »
What states does Illinois have reciprocity with?

The State of Insolvency

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2018, 05:48:50 PM »
There are other ways to beat high tuition costs. My daughter went to community college her first two years. It was cheaper then the tuition for catholic grammar school about 2.5k. All her credits transferred and she got her BA 2 years later from Rutgers. We saved 50% of her college savings which she used to get her RN.

That's fine, if from a social perspective you want to do 6 years of high school and 2 years of college.
Have some patience, FFS.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2018, 05:54:03 PM »
Wouldn't you want to get out of Illinois if you lived there too?  I know I would.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2018, 06:55:51 PM »
Wouldn't you want to get out of Illinois if you lived there too?  I know I would.

Nope - moved to Chicago from Milwaukee 7 years ago and would never go back. Denver is probably the only place that I would look at. The job market in Chicago is great and I could never make what I do in Chicago in any other midwest city. Plus, unlike other major cities you can afford to build a house for under a million. They may all leave for college but most of them will come back if they stay in the midwest.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2018, 07:33:49 PM »
Every state is different.  I had a co-worker who moved to Arizona from Illinois in July, and in August, her daughter enrolled at Arizona State and qualified for in-state tuition. 

On the other hand, chick jr. applied to UWM for grad school in 2016.  She had lived year-round in Wisconsin since 2012, had worked full-time in Milwaukee since 2014, had a Wisconsin Driver's license, and had paid Wisconsin state income tax since 2011.  UWM initially told her she was ineligible for in-state tuition.

I believe she successfully appealed, but since Marquette offerered her a graduate assistantship, it wound up being a moot point.
Very smart move for the youngin to establish Wisconsin residency. Will benefit her in the long run.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2018, 07:41:00 PM »
Every state is different.  I had a co-worker who moved to Arizona from Illinois in July, and in August, her daughter enrolled at Arizona State and qualified for in-state tuition. 

On the other hand, chick jr. applied to UWM for grad school in 2016.  She had lived year-round in Wisconsin since 2012, had worked full-time in Milwaukee since 2014, had a Wisconsin Driver's license, and had paid Wisconsin state income tax since 2011.  UWM initially told her she was ineligible for in-state tuition.

I believe she successfully appealed, but since Marquette offerered her a graduate assistantship, it wound up being a moot point.

Was she still listed as a dependent on your taxes?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2018, 07:49:37 PM »
What states does Illinois have reciprocity with?

Nobody in their right mind will give Illinois reciprocity. Compared to Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Missouri, Indiana and probably both Michigan and Ohio, Illinois would flood their state schools with a marginal change going in the other direction.

Certain Illinois schools do give benefits to nearby states. Southern Illinois University in Carbondale gives in-state tuition to residents of Kentucky, Indiana, Missouri and Iowa. Not sure these states reciprocate.

Iowa and/or Iowa State will provide an Illinois Scholarship if a student from Illinois is tops in their class.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2018, 09:36:03 PM »

She had graduated two years earlier, so no.
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2018, 09:37:49 PM »
Nope - moved to Chicago from Milwaukee 7 years ago and would never go back. Denver is probably the only place that I would look at. The job market in Chicago is great and I could never make what I do in Chicago in any other midwest city. Plus, unlike other major cities you can afford to build a house for under a million. They may all leave for college but most of them will come back if they stay in the midwest.

Dude, are you high?  What do you consider a "major" city?
Have some patience, FFS.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2018, 09:38:36 PM »
Why does season 1 of Ozarks (Netflix) come to mind???

One of them is a “financial advisor” .... love that show.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2018, 08:41:48 AM »
Dude, are you high?  What do you consider a "major" city?

In the US - prob NYC, CHI, LA then maybe DC Metro & SFO Area. I mean the US has really only 2 major / propper cities in Chicago & NYC. LA is more of the modern city in it's just sprawl.
But I like to throw handfuls...

JWags85

• All American

When I was in college at Miami University, there was a year that my Dad did not list me as a dependent because it was tax favorable (I believe it was 2005). Sure enough, next year’s tuition forms came along with the notification that I was eligible for Miami’s in state scholarships (instead of a separate tuition rate, Ohio residents received a pair of scholarships each semester).  My father believed it to be an error (especially as it was sent to our Wisconsin address) and paid the bill as usual sans forms. Miami still granted me the scholarships, credit the extra payment to the second semester, and paid in state tuition the remaining 2.5 years I attended. I think that made my five year plan to encompass a double minor all the more palatable.

WarriorFan

• All American

Certain Illinois schools do give benefits to nearby states. Southern Illinois University in Carbondale gives in-state tuition to residents of Kentucky, Indiana, Missouri and Iowa. Not sure these states reciprocate.

[/quote]
That's because no-one in Illinois even knows where Carbondale is...
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."