collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1128923 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #9400 on: December 27, 2020, 11:59:23 AM »
Also, as widespread and easily spread as the virus is, the burden of proof will be ridiculous.   'Beyond a reasonable doubt' will be well nigh impossible.   Preponderance of evidence won't be much easier.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9401 on: December 27, 2020, 12:38:23 PM »
Also, as widespread and easily spread as the virus is, the burden of proof will be ridiculous.   'Beyond a reasonable doubt' will be well nigh impossible.   Preponderance of evidence won't be much easier.

If it’s true that he “knowingly” went to work sick, it would be easy for a competent prosecutor to prove that he created an unreasonably dangerous situation by going to work. Kind of a slam dunk, actually.

Anyway, I seem to be the only person who thinks this individual should be held accountable, so I will leave it at that...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9402 on: December 27, 2020, 12:57:08 PM »
I think you have a completely plausible argument.   I share your frustrations.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #9403 on: December 27, 2020, 01:21:43 PM »
I don’t necessarily disagree that the person should be held accountable.  I just can see situations where people have to make impossible choices. If it’s someone who isn’t living a hand-to-mouth existence, and could take sick time, say,  I would absolutely bring the hammer down.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #9404 on: December 27, 2020, 01:51:24 PM »
I don’t necessarily disagree that the person should be held accountable.  I just can see situations where people have to make impossible choices. If it’s someone who isn’t living a hand-to-mouth existence, and could take sick time, say,  I would absolutely bring the hammer down.

This is the rub for me. This virus is hitting the working class the hardest because they don't have the resources to quarantine effectively, jobs that facilitate WFH, or the ability to go without a paycheck.  In a "bad facts make bad law" kind of way, I don't like the way that prosecuting somebody for going to work sick could set a real punching down precedent.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #9405 on: December 27, 2020, 02:23:20 PM »

If it’s true that he “knowingly” went to work sick, it would be easy for a competent prosecutor to prove that he created an unreasonably dangerous situation by going to work. Kind of a slam dunk, actually.

Anyway, I seem to be the only person who thinks this individual should be held accountable, so I will leave it at that...

Not the only one, Goo.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9406 on: December 27, 2020, 02:46:02 PM »

Just want to point out that this country has made it incredibly hard for its average citizenry to do the right thing. That includes sick leave that doesn't force people to make a choice between health/public wellbeing and livelihoods.

That and about a dozen other government programs that could have made this better for society could have had this country on the other side of this. But we hate anything that smells like a handout that we spite the entire country.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9407 on: December 27, 2020, 03:15:11 PM »
I agree completely with the comments about our society failing economically disadvantaged people, and wish we had better safety nets. And we certainly should not penalize someone simply for being poor. That said, I would hate to set a precedent that an otherwise illegal action is somehow OK just because the person was indigent.

My preference would simply be for the prosecutors to look at the applicable law and bring charges if they apply. The punishment (including financial penalties, if any) could take into account the financial status of the perpetrator.

Anyhow, interesting discussion. Peace, all.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #9408 on: December 27, 2020, 04:08:41 PM »
I believe it's a felony to have sex with a partner and not disclose that you have HIV.

Seems this would be a similar situation.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #9409 on: December 27, 2020, 06:13:57 PM »
I believe it's a felony to have sex with a partner and not disclose that you have HIV.

Seems this would be a similar situation.

I don’t think it’s similar at all, outside of the most baseline of infectious viruses.  You’re talking about someone’s right to earn a livelihood versus sexual activity in their personal life. Other than a “non disclosure” of an infection, I feel the circumstances of both reason for interaction, intent, and whatnot are wildly different

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #9410 on: December 27, 2020, 08:12:38 PM »
I don’t think it’s similar at all, outside of the most baseline of infectious viruses.  You’re talking about someone’s right to earn a livelihood versus sexual activity in their personal life. Other than a “non disclosure” of an infection, I feel the circumstances of both reason for interaction, intent, and whatnot are wildly different

Ya. Non-disclosure is what I was after.

Ultimately, we do a crap job in this country of providing adequate support and resources so that sick people - regardless of illness - feel safe/secure in taking time off to stay home from work so we can prevent community spread of disease

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #9411 on: December 27, 2020, 11:50:47 PM »
Ya. Non-disclosure is what I was after.

Ultimately, we do a crap job in this country of providing adequate support and resources so that sick people - regardless of illness - feel safe/secure in taking time off to stay home from work so we can prevent community spread of disease

FWIW, I think it’s cultural beyond just the pandemic. Think of how many coworkers you can think of in a cube/office setting hacking away that if you know them well enough, you can’t help but say “GO THE HELL HOME.” And I’m talking people that aren’t hourly, wouldn’t have to deviate from already scheduled/planned childcare, and who have 3-4 weeks of vacation time. Not people nursing their 5 days so they can see family at holidays.  Lots of people refuse to admit they need to stay home and just be sick

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9412 on: December 28, 2020, 06:32:59 AM »
FWIW, I think it’s cultural beyond just the pandemic. Think of how many coworkers you can think of in a cube/office setting hacking away that if you know them well enough, you can’t help but say “GO THE HELL HOME.” And I’m talking people that aren’t hourly, wouldn’t have to deviate from already scheduled/planned childcare, and who have 3-4 weeks of vacation time. Not people nursing their 5 days so they can see family at holidays.  Lots of people refuse to admit they need to stay home and just be sick

Excellent point, Wags.

For some, it's a badge of honor to never take a day off. Some will whine about never getting a day off and their employer being so reliant on them ... even though it's their choice, and they easily could take time off if they wanted to. Some are afraid - even if its an irrational fear - that if they take a week of vacation they won't be missed and/or can be easily replaced. My father-in-law worked until he was 84 and never took vacation even though he easily could have.

And yes, all of us have encountered the contagious hacker many times, proving how "tough" he or she is.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #9413 on: December 28, 2020, 06:46:16 AM »

Totally agree.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9414 on: December 28, 2020, 07:29:27 AM »
Wags, you make a great point.    Which is one reason that WFH as much as possible was the appropriate strategy.   

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9415 on: December 29, 2020, 07:37:09 PM »
First case of the mutated “British“ strain of Covid just confirmed in Colorado. Not at all surprising, but all the more reason that we need to dramatically accelerate our vaccination efforts.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/12/29/colorado-reports-first-known-us-case-new-covid-strain-uk/4079697001/

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #9416 on: December 29, 2020, 08:52:50 PM »
Louisiana Congressman Elect Luke Letlow has died. He tested positive for COVID-19 on Dec 18th. He was hospitalized with worsening symptoms one day later. He was 41.

https://amp.thenewsstar.com/amp/4082977001?__twitter_impression=true

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9417 on: December 29, 2020, 09:20:15 PM »
Louisiana Congressman Elect Luke Letlow has died. He tested positive for COVID-19 on Dec 18th. He was hospitalized with worsening symptoms one day later. He was 41.

Sad. Too bad young people really aren't immune.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #9418 on: December 30, 2020, 07:49:10 AM »

He held a maskless indoor event earlier this month. He has said that we must open up the economy.

“So while we’ve been cautious and I think both the state and federal level have taken numerous precautions for COVID-19. We’re now at a place if we do not open our economy we’re in real danger.”

https://twitter.com/LukeLetlow/status/1314247318372257792?s=20

In troubled times, the Bible provides guidance. In this case , Galatians 6:7.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 08:44:09 AM by pbiflyer »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #9419 on: December 30, 2020, 08:45:11 AM »
He held a maskless indoor event earlier this month. He has said that we must open up the economy.
In troubled times, the Bible provides guidance. In this case , Galatians 6:7.

There will never be a shortage of people out there that only have the ability to relate to what is happening to themselves at the time, either through ignorance or selfishness. Those are the people that require road trips and field trips to understand things. And even then, that only helps with some.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #9420 on: December 30, 2020, 09:18:33 AM »
This is an ED doctor who has been doing plenty of tweeting/research on COVID and has had a particular focus on excess mortality of the young + trying to prove or disprove the notion that suicides are up because of the harsh countermeasures of the pandemic (his data says they aren’t)

In any case some good data on the topic.

https://twitter.com/jeremyfaust/status/1344157694157082624?s=21

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9421 on: December 30, 2020, 10:05:40 AM »

Rest in Piss

You can't play on the highway, and suggest it to others, and then expect any sympathy when you get hit by a car.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #9422 on: December 30, 2020, 10:10:38 AM »
Rest in Piss

You can't play on the highway, and suggest it to others, and then expect any sympathy when you get hit by a car.

How very Christian of you.

Your statement is no better than those you are vilifying.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9423 on: December 30, 2020, 10:44:38 AM »

How very Christian of you.

Your statement is no better than those you are vilifying.

1.  I'm not a Christian... having said that, I do feel bad for his family.

2.  Also I'm a nobody, and this piece of crap killed people with his actions.... and died because of them.  He's just another person.  He won't be missed except by those in his family who he probably put at risk as well.  Guess he won't be out there to covid deny, be anti-mask, and host super spreader events.  Surely you see the irony here.   Screw him.

Schadenfreude.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #9424 on: December 30, 2020, 11:21:25 AM »
1.  I'm not a Christian... having said that, I do feel bad for his family.

2.  Also I'm a nobody, and this piece of crap killed people with his actions.... and died because of them.  He's just another person.  He won't be missed except by those in his family who he probably put at risk as well.  Guess he won't be out there to covid deny, be anti-mask, and host super spreader events.  Surely you see the irony here.   Screw him.

Schadenfreude.

As I said, this says a lot about you.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback