collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129045 times)

injuryBug

• Team Captain
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #6625 on: June 18, 2020, 11:00:06 AM »
WI and IL doing something right.  Sad to see all the states that are trending poorly

https://twitter.com/GovNedLamont/status/1273333468794159116

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #6626 on: June 18, 2020, 11:19:07 AM »
Hey that’s our Gov.  Metrics, measurables, systems/processes. 

Task force for reopen led by ex Pepsi CEO and Yale epidemiology prof. 

Expertise makes a difference (so far anyway).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6627 on: June 18, 2020, 11:49:23 AM »
I have explained the mask-wearing stance to non-wearers this way:

I don't wear a mask for me, I wear it for everybody else. It's kind of like when I sneeze: I don't cover my mouth for me, I cover it so I don't get any of my sneeze on you. I like to think you appreciate that.

I've actually had two people who didn't wear masks say that makes sense, though I don't know them well enough to know if they actually started wearing masks because of it. A couple of people also basically (but more politely) said "Freedom! ... 'Murica! ... screw you."

But I think the analogy is spot-on.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6628 on: June 18, 2020, 01:19:35 PM »
Honestly the people who don't want to wear masks simply don't want to wear masks.  And instead of saying "I'm selfish and don't care about you," are using freedom and rights language instead.

A co-worker posted on FB, roughly, "please wear masks."   One of his friends replied, "I am in the medical field and they make not a bit of difference and to most do more damage to the ones wearing them. I don't wear one unless I am at work and only because I am forced to. .. ..  I find it funny how all the healthcare professionals I work with including the doctors do not wear one outside of work for a reason."

/facepalm

I very much want to know what "medical field" that is.  Cosmetology?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6629 on: June 18, 2020, 01:21:22 PM »
A co-worker posted on FB, roughly, "please wear masks."   One of his friends replied, "I am in the medical field and they make not a bit of difference and to most do more damage to the ones wearing them. I don't wear one unless I am at work and only because I am forced to. .. ..  I find it funny how all the healthcare professionals I work with including the doctors do not wear one outside of work for a reason."

/facepalm

Good lord.
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6630 on: June 18, 2020, 01:35:12 PM »
Baseball practice at an indoor facility last night.  Four sets of parents wearing masks.   The firefighter, the medical professional, the family with two members who likely had it in March, (sick as hell for 3 weeks, quarantine, but not quite bad enough to go to the hospital) but still haven't been able to get an antibody test, and the admitted germophobe.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6631 on: June 18, 2020, 01:36:39 PM »
Statement of NIH Director Collins on link between genetics and blood type, and severity of COVID-19 illness:

https://directorsblog.nih.gov/2020/06/18/genes-blood-type-tied-to-covid-19-risk-of-severe-disease/

The two stretches of DNA implicated as harboring risks for severe COVID-19 are known to carry some intriguing genes, including one that determines blood type and others that play various roles in the immune system. In fact, the findings suggest that people with blood type A face a 50 percent greater risk of needing oxygen support or a ventilator should they become infected with the novel coronavirus. In contrast, people with blood type O appear to have about a 50 percent reduced risk of severe COVID-19.

The hope is that these and other findings yet to come will point the way to a more thorough understanding of the biology of COVID-19. They also suggest that a genetic test and a person’s blood type might provide useful tools for identifying those who may be at greater risk of serious illness.

-------------

I know others didn't like it when I suggested we may be heading in this direction, but it may be time to consider treating people with Type A blood as being an "at-risk" group.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #6632 on: June 18, 2020, 01:40:10 PM »

And he's wanted to open things sooner, but he said it's best for everyone if we stick to following metrics, measurables, systems/processes. 

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #6633 on: June 18, 2020, 01:56:37 PM »
Baseball practice at an indoor facility last night.  Four sets of parents wearing masks.   The firefighter, the medical professional, the family with two members who likely had it in March, (sick as hell for 3 weeks, quarantine, but not quite bad enough to go to the hospital) but still haven't been able to get an antibody test, and the admitted germophobe.

why is practice inside in june? My son has basketball practice indoors but parents are not allowed to enter the building

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #6634 on: June 18, 2020, 02:22:46 PM »

/facepalm

Ha, I saw the SAME argument from a friend from HS.  I can't do facebook anymore.  I get almost nothing positive from it, and end up losing respect for people I previously only had positive memories of.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #6635 on: June 18, 2020, 02:32:57 PM »
Ha, I saw the SAME argument from a friend from HS.  I can't do facebook anymore.  I get almost nothing positive from it, and end up losing respect for people I previously only had positive memories of.

Me too.  To be honest I cannot believe the number of my friends who are selfish pretty boys.  And not very smart on top of it. 

EDIT:  And you know I did not type "pretty boys."
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 02:34:38 PM by SERocks »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #6637 on: June 18, 2020, 02:55:41 PM »
Nebraska governor tells local governments they won't get any of the $100 million Federal aid if they require masks.

https://www.omaha.com/news/state_and_regional/ricketts-tells-local-governments-they-wont-get-federal-covid-19-money-if-they-require-masks/article_d15459b9-26df-527e-9899-9f579a3d8597.html?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_OWHnews

I just don't get this.  This is the one relatively proven way that we can keep an open economy AND limit spread to a low level.  Win win for everyone and yet folks are actively working against it.  Just amazing. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #6638 on: June 18, 2020, 03:03:38 PM »
I just don't get this.  This is the one relatively proven way that we can keep an open economy AND limit spread to a low level.  Win win for everyone and yet folks are actively working against it.  Just amazing.

I just don't even get the origin of this. The Whitehouse was made very aware that masks were the best way to mitigate spread. They decided it was not consistent with the message they wanted to take. Why?

The only thing I can even speculate on, is that they didn't want to make it look like CoVID was a significant concern.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #6639 on: June 18, 2020, 03:13:30 PM »
I think it is about the optics of looking weak.  Which is weird.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6640 on: June 18, 2020, 03:16:45 PM »

Agreed. I just don't see a downside to promoting a simple method of getting to the win-win that would help everyone.

The only explanation I can see - not that it justifies the behavior - is that opponents of masks dug in their heels when the data was more sketchy, and now feel like promoting them will be an admission that they were wrong...and they feel they just can't admit they were wrong at any price.

If there's a better explanation, I'd love to hear it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #6641 on: June 18, 2020, 03:18:28 PM »
I think it is about the optics of looking weak.  Which is weird.

Of all the things that make people appear weak, they chose masks as the line in the sand.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6643 on: June 18, 2020, 04:01:57 PM »
Working title for the 2H of 2020 is the GREAT COMEUPPENING.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #6644 on: June 18, 2020, 04:39:22 PM »

Nooyi being included was interesting to me. She’s obviously very intelligent and a skilled operator, but one of the things that struck me, during the almost 4 years I worked at Pepsico under her leadership, was how completely out of touch she was.  Now sure you can say that about many wealthy and powerful people, but for someone in the CPG space with “everyman” products, almost quarterly there would be an internal memo or story I heard that made me wonder if she had any clue about normal daily life for her consumers, which also rings true here.  There was a team that specifically curated and glamorized her local CT grocery store, highlighting PepsiCo products, and she had zero clue that’s not how it was everywhere. It was actually hilarious

But they seem to be doing a great job, so kudos to the,.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #6645 on: June 18, 2020, 05:57:17 PM »
“Florida doctors are begging people to wear masks...”

https://twitter.com/terryspen/status/1273750436521168896

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6646 on: June 18, 2020, 06:35:53 PM »

Online PhD from the University of Moscow.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6648 on: June 18, 2020, 06:48:45 PM »
Does your state have enough contact tracers?

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/06/18/879787448/as-states-reopen-do-they-have-the-workforce-they-need-to-stop-coronavirus-outbre

Numerous public health leaders have called for more leadership — if not funding and staff — from the federal government to support state and local health departments' contact tracing efforts.

"We have needed a federal response on this from Day 1 and we haven't had one," says El-Sayed. "We need federal funding for contact tracers and we need it now."

Yup. CDC, you there?

feedback