* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jay Bee
[May 16, 2024, 04:26:22 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129755 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #4375 on: April 20, 2020, 05:31:43 PM »
We also have the second lowest mortality rate in the industrialized world for COVID 19 per capita.  Only Germany is better.  There are many countries, both conservative and progressive, with universal health care and without, with their own experts that are having problems, too.   Per capita is the correct way to look at this data.

Do you honestly think in an election year that someone else would have shut things down quicker?  I do not.  Can provide examples from both sides that show that to be true.

Thank you for your unbiased, even perspective cheek...wait, no. Definitely not cheeks.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #4376 on: April 20, 2020, 05:32:19 PM »

Interesting...and pretty damning for the CDC that it was embedded and involved from the beginning, and yet messed up its test development efforts so badly. If CDC had developed and rolled out a test in late January or early February (when other countries were already successfully testing for the virus), we would be in a very different place than we are right now.

I don’t know if was just CDC‘s screwups,  or if the Trump administration‘s very public anti-science stance also played a role in disempowering them, but something is severely wrong there...

The WHO is no different.  This is why your continued insistence to have CDC run the show is not connecting with me.  Fauci has admitted a number of mistakes which is refreshing, but also concerning.  There is no simple playbook for this as much as people wish there was.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4377 on: April 20, 2020, 05:38:21 PM »
The WHO is no different.  This is why your continued insistence to have CDC run the show is not connecting with me.  Fauci has admitted a number of mistakes which is refreshing, but also concerning.  There is no simple playbook for this as much as people wish there was.

Well, it’s much simpler than “here are the guidelines for what we need to do to reopen the economy” one day and “go out and protest!” the next.

But wait. Let me guess. You can find contradicting messages from liberals too. Both sides. Not just one.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #4378 on: April 20, 2020, 05:43:55 PM »

Fauci does not run nor has responsibility for the CDC.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #4379 on: April 20, 2020, 06:05:40 PM »
Do you honestly think in an election year that someone else would have shut things down quicker?
How about be prepared in the first place, and then actually pay attention when the experts warn you of a developing pandemic?

Here is a detailed, sourced, blow-by-blow account of what lead up to this. I know conservative members won't read it, but maybe Both Sides WarriorDad will?

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/04/this-stunningly-detailed-timeline-of-trumps-failures-shows-americas-coronavirus-crisis-was-a-man-made-disaster/
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4380 on: April 20, 2020, 06:44:43 PM »

Do you honestly think in an election year that someone else would have shut things down quicker? 

Abso-freaking-lutely.   Besides the fact it is right thing to do, three political reasons.
1.  Get it right, demonstrate competence and compassion and have demonstrably better numbers than the rest of the world.
2.   Demonstrate statesmanship.   'In a time like this, protecting the people of this country is more important than my re-election.'
3.  Neutralize your opponent by offering to put him to work, that it is all hands on deck.

Do that and it is Reagan-Mondale redux.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 06:46:26 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4381 on: April 20, 2020, 06:46:17 PM »

Sorry my comments about the CDC “aren’t connecting” with you. Perhaps you should read CDC’s mission statement, which I posted several pages back.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #4382 on: April 20, 2020, 07:05:16 PM »
We also have the second lowest mortality rate in the industrialized world for COVID 19 per capita.  Only Germany is better.  There are many countries, both conservative and progressive, with universal health care and without, with their own experts that are having problems, too.   Per capita is the correct way to look at this data.

Do you honestly think in an election year that someone else would have shut things down quicker?  I do not.  Can provide examples from both sides that show that to be true.

What exactly did he shut down? Governors shut down their individual states or in some cases didn’t.
If you are talking about the “China travel ban” that was a joke, as the US carriers had already stopped and only prevented Chinese nationals from traveling from China.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #4383 on: April 20, 2020, 07:08:04 PM »

What are you defining as industrialized world?

Even amongst the G8 (highly industrialized nations) we are behind Japan, Russia, Canada, and Germany, in that order. So we are in 5th place out of 8. Worldwide we are the 10th worst in terms of mortality rate per capita.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4384 on: April 20, 2020, 07:15:57 PM »
Georgia looks to be at the front of the second wave by reopening many businesses even though the numbers are still increasing.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/20/839338550/georgia-beginning-to-reopen-its-economy-lifting-some-coronavirus-crisis-limits

Then again, their well-informed governor  has always been right on top of this. Well...except for the fact that he was the last human with an internet connection to learn that COVID19 can be transmitted by asymptomatic carriers.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/georgia-gov-brian-kemp-admits-he-just-learned-asymptomatic-people-n1174976
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 07:18:08 PM by GooooMarquette »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #4385 on: April 20, 2020, 07:16:43 PM »
I suspect he is calculating deaths/cases for this. Now if you use deaths/recovered we are near dead last.
You are using death/population.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #4386 on: April 20, 2020, 07:40:51 PM »
I suspect he is calculating deaths/cases for this. Now if you use deaths/recovered we are near dead last.
You are using death/population.

I think this was in reply to my question. Even by deaths/case, which is a terrible metric to use, we are still 5th out of the G8.

I think he just made it up, or defined "industrialized" by whatever metric served his purpose.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4387 on: April 20, 2020, 08:10:39 PM »
What are you defining as industrialized world?

He's just misstating exactly what he heard in Trump's briefing from Saturday:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-members-coronavirus-task-force-press-briefing-2/
On a per capita basis — remember that: On a per capita basis, our mortality rate is far lower than other nations of Western Europe, with the lone exception of possibly Germany.  This includes the UK, Switzerland, Belgium, the Netherlands, Italy, France.  Spain, for example, has a mortality rate that is nearly four times that of the United States, but you don’t hear that.  You hear we have more death.  But we’re much bigger countries than any of those countries by far.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4388 on: April 20, 2020, 09:48:38 PM »
Trump says he will issue an executive order suspending immigration.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/20/us/coronavirus-live-news.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

He is so confident that we have this solved that he calls to “liberate” states ASAP, but so concerned about the spread that he suspends immigration. Yeah - vilifying the “others” is gonna solve this....

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4389 on: April 20, 2020, 09:58:00 PM »
Well, this is *potentially* good news.  As noted, still not proven that the test is accurate or how long immunity lasts:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/20/coronavirus-antibody-testing-shows-la-county-outbreak-is-up-to-55-times-bigger-than-reported-cases.html

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4390 on: April 20, 2020, 10:29:45 PM »
Trump says he will issue an executive order suspending immigration.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/20/us/coronavirus-live-news.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

He is so confident that we have this solved that he calls to “liberate” states ASAP, but so concerned about the spread that he suspends immigration. Yeah - vilifying the “others” is gonna solve this....

60 million new folks unemployed, economy and citizens locked down, flights shut down from China and Europe, etc., etc., etc., - but temporarily suspending immigration in the midst of this is vilifying the “others”.

You’re all in with Governors who won’t allow their citizens to buy seeds, paint or go fishing (by themselves) but temporarily closing our borders is vilifying the “others”. Sheesh.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4391 on: April 20, 2020, 10:53:41 PM »
You’re all in with Governors who won’t allow their citizens to buy seeds, paint or go fishing (by themselves) but temporarily closing our borders is vilifying the “others”. Sheesh.

Which governors have done this?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4392 on: April 20, 2020, 11:09:51 PM »
Which governors have done this?

In Michigan large retailers are banned from selling seeds, paint, garden supplies, etc.. If you have a motor on your boat you are not allowed to go on any lakes for fishing, etc..

Lottery tickets sales continue. Some things are more essential than others.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 11:13:03 PM by Lennys Tap »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4393 on: April 20, 2020, 11:13:45 PM »
60 million new folks unemployed, economy and citizens locked down, flights shut down from China and Europe, etc., etc., etc., - but temporarily suspending immigration in the midst of this is vilifying the “others”.

Yes - closing the borders when the virus is already rampant here and there is no evidence that current immigrants are increasing the spread is vilifying the “others.” It’s especially obvious given that he is simultaneously turning a blind eye to states that are reopening in contravention to his recent three-phase guidelines.

If he wants to make real progress in preventing further spread, he should tell the governors of South Carolina, Georgia and Tennessee to follow the guidelines that HE ISSUED JUST LAST WEEK, and then send out the test kits he keeps promising.

Honest yes or no question: Do you think it’s good for the country that he issued a very well-reasoned three-phase plan for reopening, and then: (1) tweeted about “liberating” several states that don’t meet the reopening criteria; and (2) ignores states that are openly contravening the guidelines?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 11:15:59 PM by GooooMarquette »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4394 on: April 20, 2020, 11:20:08 PM »
In Michigan large retailers are banned from selling seeds, paint, garden supplies, etc.. If you have a motor on your boat you are not allowed to go on any lakes for fishing, etc..

Nope. You can buy paint, seeds and gardening supplies in Michigan.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/apr/15/facebook-posts/covid-order-doesnt-ban-gardening-or-sale-seeds-and/

And nope. You can go fishing in Michigan (including by yourself).

https://www.michigan.gov/coronavirus/0,9753,7-406-98810-523692--,00.html

And you said "governors" as far as my limited reading comprehension skills can tell.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4395 on: April 20, 2020, 11:37:45 PM »

Yes - closing the borders when the virus is already rampant here and there is no evidence that current immigrants are increasing the spread is vilifying the “others.” It’s especially obvious given that he is simultaneously turning a blind eye to states that are reopening in contravention to his recent three-phase guidelines.

If he wants to make real progress in preventing further spread, he should tell the governors of South Carolina, Georgia and Tennessee to follow the guidelines that HE ISSUED JUST LAST WEEK, and then send out the test kits he keeps promising.

Honest yes or no question: Do you think it’s good for the country that he issued a very well-reasoned three-phase plan for reopening, and then: (1) tweeted about “liberating” several states that don’t meet the reopening criteria; and (2) ignores states that are openly contravening the guidelines?

The virus is “rampant” in very small areas of our country. The denser the population, the closer to International airports, the more likely it is rampant. If we’re locking things down (quarantines when citizens go from state to state) what’s wrong with temporarily locking down our borders? Nobody is blaming the “others”, it’s a temporary safety thing that would make perfect sense to you under anyone else’s leadership.

On your last point, I think it’s frustrating, counter productive and wrong that Trump is sending mixed messages on reopening. He’s listening to Fauci on one hand and his economic team on the other but if he going to flip back and forth he needs to a) concede that’s what he’s doing and b) give sound reasons why. Highly unlikely.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4396 on: April 20, 2020, 11:43:43 PM »
Nope. You can buy paint, seeds and gardening supplies in Michigan.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/apr/15/facebook-posts/covid-order-doesnt-ban-gardening-or-sale-seeds-and/

And nope. You can go fishing in Michigan (including by yourself).

https://www.michigan.gov/coronavirus/0,9753,7-406-98810-523692--,00.html

And you said "governors" as far as my limited reading comprehension skills can tell.

As I said, the ban (still in place) is for large retailers.

Re fishing in a motorized boat, it’s possible she’s given in and revised her previous order.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4397 on: April 20, 2020, 11:51:36 PM »
The virus is “rampant” in very small areas of our country. The denser the population, the closer to International airports, the more likely it is rampant. If we’re locking things down (quarantines when citizens go from state to state) what’s wrong with temporarily locking down our borders? Nobody is blaming the “others”, it’s a temporary safety thing that would make perfect sense to you under anyone else’s leadership.

On your last point, I think it’s frustrating, counter productive and wrong that Trump is sending mixed messages on reopening. He’s listening to Fauci on one hand and his economic team on the other but if he going to flip back and forth he needs to a) concede that’s what he’s doing and b) give sound reasons why. Highly unlikely.

Have you double-checked the data on the underlined?

I have been keeping close tabs on MN (where I live) and the immediately surrounding states of WI, IA, ND and SD. Of those five states, MSP has the overwhelming majority of international passengers...and yet MN has the lowest per capita infection rate in the region by a WIDE MARGIN. Current data from Johns Hopkins:

SD: 190/100k residents
IA: 100/100k residents
ND: 82/100k residents
WI:  77/100k residents
MN: 44/100k residents

I also find it interesting that AL (whose governor was late to close, using the infamous line that “we are not California”) has a higher rate than - you guessed it - California.

AL: 104/100k residents
CA: 85/100k residents

Wanna guess which state has more recent immigrants?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4398 on: April 21, 2020, 12:14:04 AM »
As I said, the ban (still in place) is for large retailers.

And this is a nuance (for both sides). Certain sections of large stores have to be closed off. However there's no ban on selling items that may be in those sections. Just less likely people will buy if they can't get to the items themselves.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4399 on: April 21, 2020, 12:32:29 AM »

Have you double-checked the data on the underlined?

I have been keeping close tabs on MN (where I live) and the immediately surrounding states of WI, IA, ND and SD. Of those five states, MSP has the overwhelming majority of international passengers...and yet MN has the lowest per capita infection rate in the region by a WIDE MARGIN. Current data from Johns Hopkins:

SD: 190/100k residents
IA: 100/100k residents
ND: 82/100k residents
WI:  77/100k residents
MN: 44/100k residents

I also find it interesting that AL (whose governor was late to close, using the infamous line that “we are not California”) has a higher rate than - you guessed it - California.

AL: 104/100k residents
CA: 85/100k residents

Wanna guess which state has more recent immigrants?

We have different definitions of “rampant”. Six (6) people have died in S Dakota from Covid19 (They did have an outbreak at a meat packing plant, I think - but I think it was contained) and they’ve pretty much stayed open for business.

Statistics are funny. If you have a penny and I give you another one you’ve increased your net worth by 100%!!! But you still only have 2 cents. To me rampant is New York City and to a lesser extent Detroit, Chicago, and other cities.