collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1128951 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #3950 on: April 13, 2020, 01:22:53 PM »
8 reasons to end the Lockdown as soon as possible. Penned by doctors.  It would be eye opening to do a national survey of doctors and their opinions on this topic and break it out by geography.

Our leaders have some tough decisions ahead.  It is also why CDC cannot be put in charge of all this.  The decision is not only health based, but national security, economic, legal & constitutional.  CDC are not elected leaders.

Here are their 8 reasons.  I find myself supporting some of them, but not all.  The suicide element is of great concern.

https://medium.com/@jbgeach/eight-reasons-to-end-the-lockdowns-as-soon-as-possible-b7bb0bc94f00

I don't necessary disagree with some of their points, but let's look at the background of these doctors shall we?

Dr. Jonathan B. Geach is an anesthesiologist in Loma Linda, California
Dr. Ankur J. Patel is a family medicine doctor in Oswego, Illinois
Dr. Jason Friday looks like he is a psychiatrist in Gilbert, AZ
Dr. Lacy M. Windham is an obstetrician-gynecologist in Cleveland, Tennessee
Dr. Ashkan Attaran is a cardiologist in Visalia, California
Jennifer Andjelich, D.N.P. isn't a doctor.  She is a nurse practitioner in psychiatry in Arizona

So no public health background that I can tell.  No epidemiologists.  Just random doctors of various backgrounds they got to sign onto an article.

Or am I missing something?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3951 on: April 13, 2020, 01:24:49 PM »

I don't necessary disagree with some of their points, but let's look at the background of these doctors shall we?

Jennifer Andjelich, D.N.P. isn't a doctor.  She is a nurse practitioner in psychiatry in Arizona

So no public health background that I can tell.  No epidemiologists.  Just random doctors of various backgrounds they got to sign onto an article.

You aren't.

Chicos used to do something similar where he would "appeal to authority" that supported his POV. It didn't matter the credentials/standing of that authority.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3952 on: April 13, 2020, 01:33:14 PM »
You aren't.

Chicos used to do something similar where he would "appeal to authority" that supported his POV. It didn't matter the credentials/standing of that authority.

Right.  Per usual his "authority" simply means "someone with a title who agrees with me."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3953 on: April 13, 2020, 01:39:42 PM »
You aren't.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3954 on: April 13, 2020, 01:46:27 PM »
Ya. I understand that.

I just think when it's a pandemic that is also threatening the global economy, the testing needs to be prioritized to maximize tracing/treatment/return to work. I don't think Ted Turner's nephew's roommate is a priority in the grand scheme.

Again, because of the nature of the situation, to me, it's far different that your old guy scenario.

Definitely a different scenario, given the urgency. Still, if the money can be used for significant advances in the war on COVID, it could be really good. Maybe it gives them the capacity to triple their testing capacity within a few weeks, very soon far outweighing the couple thousand tests "sold" to the MLB. We just don't know.

Several weeks back - when the first tests were just being rolled out - Karl-Anthony Towns made a donation to Mayo Clinic that allowed Mayo to double its testing virtually overnight. I don't know what, if anything, KAT received from Mayo, but even it was just some priority tests, the public benefit would still far outweigh the personal benefit he received.

Anyhow, we agree that the calculus is different given the urgency around COVID. I still think we don't have enough info to know whether it's a good or bad thing in this specific case.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3955 on: April 13, 2020, 01:49:35 PM »

They don't work for big gubmint, so apparently they're more trustworthy to Chicos than the infectious disease experts and epidemiologists at CDC.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3956 on: April 13, 2020, 02:10:12 PM »
What's a chicos?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #3957 on: April 13, 2020, 02:19:45 PM »
https://www.info.lillycovid19testing.com/study

In Indianapolis, Lilly will begin testing asymptomatic individuals.

View from the cheap seats: how many pharmaceutical/biomed companies are pursuing their own angles on COVID testing?

If we’re going to take steps like invoking the Defense Production Act... encouraging some level of collaboration between pharma firms producing tests would be helpful, given how important testing is to emerging from this mess.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3958 on: April 13, 2020, 02:41:01 PM »
You mean like coordinating supply chains  instead of having states compete?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 02:56:32 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3959 on: April 13, 2020, 02:50:12 PM »
You aren't.

500 economists ...

That said, I'm getting a perverse thrill out of watching Cheeks pretend to be a liberal Democrat from the Midwest while regurgitating Fox News talking points. I hope it continues, because at least this Cheeks has left behind most of the other Cheeks' worst tendencies.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3960 on: April 13, 2020, 03:15:19 PM »
Getting tested at Northshore right now. I can not believe the cluster f*ck this is. Absolutely livid right now. All I wanted was a damn Z pack for a sinus infection!
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3961 on: April 13, 2020, 03:45:16 PM »
500 economists ...

That said, I'm getting a perverse thrill out of watching Cheeks pretend to be a liberal Democrat from the Midwest while regurgitating Fox News talking points. I hope it continues, because at least this Cheeks has left behind most of the other Cheeks' worst tendencies.

He tried for a while, but old habits can't be defeated.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #3962 on: April 13, 2020, 05:20:32 PM »
Really need the mass production of antibody tests.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #3963 on: April 13, 2020, 06:37:20 PM »
Really need the mass production of antibody tests.

And rapid testing and PPEs and and and....

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3965 on: April 13, 2020, 08:23:22 PM »

forgetful

• All American

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #3967 on: April 13, 2020, 08:51:37 PM »
So much failure.

What a unnatural carnal knowledgeing crapshow.

Here’s what I don’t understand: unless you’re desperate to be added to the tally, why even go to get tested?

Doesn’t everyone hear the same advice ie rest, relax, treat it like the flu and then go to the ER if it gets bad?

Why line up for a test the night before when you feel like dogcrap?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3968 on: April 13, 2020, 08:53:48 PM »
this might just be a start, but the natives are getting restless-michigan's whitmer gonna feel the heat.  you can only push reasonable people so far

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/local/2020/04/13/people-are-fed-up-michigans-extended-stay-at-home-order-draws-criticism-protest/
don't...don't don't don't don't

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #3969 on: April 13, 2020, 08:54:58 PM »
The initiative in the article below actually looks helpful:
https://www.foxnews.com/science/if-you-think-you-had-coronavirus-a-new-study-might-give-you-your-answer

Sent email tonight to try to enroll in the study.

Think I got through the worst of COVID on a work trip at the end of February... pretty excited to confirm so I can stop Clorox wiping my groceries after they get delivered.

shoothoops

• All American

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3971 on: April 13, 2020, 09:39:56 PM »
The initiative in the article below actually looks helpful:
https://www.foxnews.com/science/if-you-think-you-had-coronavirus-a-new-study-might-give-you-your-answer

Sent email tonight to try to enroll in the study.

Think I got through the worst of COVID on a work trip at the end of February... pretty excited to confirm so I can stop Clorox wiping my groceries after they get delivered.

i'd like to volunteer as well. 

my wife insists i am either immune to it or had a mild case some time ago.  despite what i do for a living, i am blessed with literally missing no work due to illness for ?? time.  no, i am not going to act like i'm invincible.  keep doing what i'm doing, take nothing for granted, try to eat right(more vegies/less carbs) exercise, keep up with check ups, no alcohol,  no smoking, and prayer, etc  i do believe in the pound of dirt thing. 

please keep us informed if you are chosen

stay safe and healthy   

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3972 on: April 13, 2020, 09:42:25 PM »
Ryan Padgett's story...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/13/us/coronavirus-doctor-kirkland-padgett.html#click=https://t.co/FAYa5RLsCQ

oh chit!!  just saw this after my post below...all the more reason to take nothing for granted.  ya know the saying-Christ, unfortunately needs to be crucified every year for us to continue believe

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3973 on: April 13, 2020, 09:51:38 PM »
What a unnatural carnal knowledgeing crapshow.

Here’s what I don’t understand: unless you’re desperate to be added to the tally, why even go to get tested?

Doesn’t everyone hear the same advice ie rest, relax, treat it like the flu and then go to the ER if it gets bad?

Why line up for a test the night before when you feel like dogcrap?

To not infect the others around you? Yes we're all social distancing but if I've got a sinus infection I'm still going to the grocery store and eating with my gf and family. If I'm positive I'm locking myself in my room and hoping by the grace of god they don't get it.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3974 on: April 13, 2020, 10:14:21 PM »
Ryan Padgett's story...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/13/us/coronavirus-doctor-kirkland-padgett.html#click=https://t.co/FAYa5RLsCQ

His colleagues at the hospital put him on the anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine, whose effectiveness for the coronavirus is still unknown, but Dr. Padgett’s condition continued to worsen.

I guess here's one person who found out "what do you have to lose" by taking that drug. Almost his life.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback