[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129284 times)

pbiflyer

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #3150 on: April 04, 2020, 07:46:39 PM »
The simplistic answer is the advent of social media--quacks and charlatans now have an outlet.

The nuanced answer is that intra-discipline debates can be more widely seen, again a result of the internet. 

Expert A says X, Expert B says not X (or at least, says Y, which is interpreted through people's confirmation bias as "not X"). 

Prior to the internet, this war was waged in academic journals, etc.  But now, with a 24-news cycle having to compete with the always-running internet, expert battles are waged in public.

Good analysis. It is stunning how fast disinformation is distributed and taken as gospel.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3151 on: April 04, 2020, 07:48:16 PM »
You have cause and effect reversed.

You are correct that there was divisiveness and skepticism before Trump. But his constant chants of “fake news” in response to anyone who didn’t praise him has raised it to a completely new level.

Usually, a national crisis causes at least a temporary pause in partisanship (see 9/11), but Trump’s stubborn refusal to admit that others know better than he does, combined with his divisive rhetoric, isn’t allowing that to happen.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3153 on: April 04, 2020, 08:46:21 PM »

You are correct that there was divisiveness and skepticism before Trump. But his constant chants of “fake news” in response to anyone who didn’t praise him has raised it to a completely new level.

Usually, a national crisis causes at least a temporary pause in partisanship (see 9/11), but Trump’s stubborn refusal to admit that others know better than he does, combined with his divisive rhetoric, isn’t allowing that to happen.

Use of the term ‘fake news’ should be a felony, as it’s merely a crutch for the stupid.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3154 on: April 04, 2020, 09:10:20 PM »
Use of the term ‘fake news’ should be a felony, as it’s merely a crutch for the stupid.

Yes, but regrettably many voters don’t recognize that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #3155 on: April 04, 2020, 09:38:16 PM »

After reading hundreds of even handed, straight down the middle posts on Scoop, I sense that you and others here are yearning for the end to partisanship. So sad that Donald Trump won’t let you. I love ya, Gooo, but c’mon. Not your fault that the President is lacking in self awareness, but that’s no excuse for losing yours.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 09:52:24 PM by Lennys Tap »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #3156 on: April 04, 2020, 09:43:20 PM »
New York is in dire need of ventilators. China just donated 1,000.

https://www.vox.com/2020/4/4/21208109/china-donates-1000-ventilators-new-york

After Trump couldn’t assure New York the federal government would send ventilators, China sent a supply.

At least some national government is looking out for us.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3157 on: April 04, 2020, 09:51:47 PM »

Come on goooo, you are a smart guy and have lended some good stuff here, but this is at best, cherry picked.  The thing is, the real partisanship is from those who are fighting to be relevant and want to be back in power.  No one knows exactly what or how the “right” way to act here, but regardless of what trump says, let me repeat that, regardless, people are like, did you just hear that?  Everyone knows...I mean it is incessant and unfortunately too predictable.

What you are doing is exactly what you are criticizing him for, being partisan during a time when We should be uniting like post 911, which lasted all of about a day and a half btw. 

Yes, I know he’s the potus and there needs to be some checks and balances, but what we have today is like when Reagan was in office x 1000
don't...don't don't don't don't

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #3158 on: April 04, 2020, 09:54:03 PM »

After Trump couldn’t assure New York the federal government would send ventilators, China sent a supply.

It’s quite hilarious to follow the liberal echo chamber here, but wow, will be hard to top praising China for their actions during this world wide pandemic.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3159 on: April 04, 2020, 10:00:44 PM »
“The liberal echo chamber.”

At least liberals can provide a consistent message. We can’t get that from our conservative government. No, I don’t even mean day to day, I mean in the very same briefing.

This change just for change has worked out great. Couldn’t have handled this situation any better. America is great again. Thank God.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3160 on: April 04, 2020, 10:02:47 PM »
It’s quite hilarious to follow the liberal echo chamber here, but wow, will be hard to top praising China for their actions during this world wide pandemic.

Dude, everyone knows that China f*cked up.

But we knew what was going to happen.  We were warned.  But the people who could have made a difference ignored those warnings.  Now people are dying.

It really is that simple.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #3161 on: April 04, 2020, 10:06:26 PM »

[

They just have unlimited supply or they dont need them anymore?  Maybe we can get there sometime in 2020

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #3162 on: April 04, 2020, 10:06:49 PM »
Sweden taking a different approach.  Is the PM going for a herd immunity approach?  He suggests that any shutdown cannot be sustained.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-sweden-idUSKBN21L23R
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #3163 on: April 04, 2020, 10:09:01 PM »

He cannot declare martial law legally.  Plenty of blame at all levels of govt by people of both parties.  What are the solutions without being partisan?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

• All American
« Reply #3164 on: April 04, 2020, 11:04:58 PM »
He cannot declare martial law legally.  Plenty of blame at all levels of govt by people of both parties.  What are the solutions without being partisan?

lol
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #3165 on: April 04, 2020, 11:15:00 PM »

Yes, but regrettably many voters don’t recognize that.

You got that right, and sadly they are all on one side of the aisle. It amazes me how truly uninformed people are about things..talk to people and they say "well that's what i heard on the news" so they believe it. It's a shame that this country is made up of that many ignorant, uninformed people, but..here we are. Fortunately, we seemingly have just enough intelligent informed voters that we save the other side form major mistakes.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

• All American
« Reply #3166 on: April 04, 2020, 11:17:38 PM »
You got that right, and sadly they are all on one side of the aisle. It amazes me how truly uninformed people are about things..talk to people and they say "well that's what i heard on the news" so they believe it. It's a shame that this country is made up of that many ignorant, uninformed people, but..here we are. Fortunately, we seemingly have just enough intelligent informed voters that we save the other side form major mistakes.

Yep.  The majority understood the stakes in the last election, but alas...

muguru

• All American
« Reply #3167 on: April 04, 2020, 11:18:13 PM »
I want to believe at least some of you would agree that Cuomo has absolutely made major mistakes which has gotten NY in this mess to begin with...this is just the latest one...I don't get this at all...why would you NOT want to TRY to help your own people?? There is really ZERO to lose.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/sean-hannity-gov-cuomo-stop-denying-new-yorkers-hydroxychloroquine

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

• All American
« Reply #3168 on: April 04, 2020, 11:27:05 PM »
I want to believe at least some of you would agree that Cuomo has absolutely made major mistakes which has gotten NY in this mess to begin with...this is just the latest one...I don't get this at all...why would you NOT want to TRY to help your own people?? There is really ZERO to lose.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/sean-hannity-gov-cuomo-stop-denying-new-yorkers-hydroxychloroquine

"Just a few days ago Dr. Mehmet Oz was a guest on my show. "

lol.

Anyway, the problem that Cuomo has is that people are hoarding the drug, preventing it from being precribed to people who legitimately need it.  Like those with lupus.  So the limited supply needs to be managed to make sure those who absolutely need the drug can get the drug.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #3169 on: April 04, 2020, 11:27:42 PM »
I agree that we won't be fully back to normal for a year+ as we wait for a vaccine. Our chance to make it less than that has now past.

Based on some potential antibody based therapies, I'm optimistic we might be able to get to some semblance of normal by mid to late fall. The problem with this is, people would still be getting sick and some dying. We would just have a potential treatment to lessen the impact enough to possibly warrant opening a lot of things back up.

Let's also all hope that things do indeed calm down some in summer. Otherwise this is going to be a long and catastrophic process (more catastrophic than it already is).

I'm not saying this to bag on you because I see this thought all over the internet. Look, the reality is at some point fairly soon we HAVE to try to get back to normal...the economy just cannot sustain the way it's going for much longer. Eventually this thing WILL slow down..Sure, it might not be completely gone, but it will get to the point where we can at least handle it to the extent we have enough hospital beds, testing etc. My guess is by the end of Summer SOME things will be back to normal...they simply have to be, no matter what. That's just the reality.

We can't really assume what has happened in China and other countries as what will happen here, the demographics are completely different etc. We, as a country cannot run scared that because China or other countries get a "2nd round", that we have to react the same way they do. There is literally no chance(in my opinion) a second wave wouldn't be nearly as bad as the first..and it could be controlled much better. The absolute last thing we can do is panic the second time around(if it comes), and start this cycle all over again.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3170 on: April 04, 2020, 11:29:37 PM »

What you are doing is exactly what you are criticizing him for, being partisan during a time when We should be uniting like post 911, which lasted all of about a day and a half btw. 

Actually, I am doing the opposite of what he is doing. I have been consistent, and have suggested that people follow the recommendations of medical experts (including CDC). And since the virus doesn’t discriminate based on political preference, that advice would help people in both sides of the aisle.

If Trump begins to consistently rely on the experts, without hedging, without begging for adulation, I will be the first to give him credit.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #3171 on: April 04, 2020, 11:34:49 PM »

"Just a few days ago Dr. Mehmet Oz was a guest on my show. "

lol.

Anyway, the problem that Cuomo has is that people are hoarding the drug, preventing it from being precribed to people who legitimately need it.  Like those with lupus. So the limited supply needs to be managed to make sure those who absolutely need the drug can get the drug.

This is a perfect example of not reading something because you don't want facts. Or as your side does, you know the facts but you distort them or simply don't want to believe them because it destroys the agenda's you far left wingers have.

Now, I bolded a part of what you said above...Now please READ below...

Sources tell me that Cuomo has access to MILLIONS of doses of hydroxychloroquine right now. The federal government has tens of millions of doses and has made millions of doses available to the New York governor.

Now I bolded a part of what I pasted...MILLIONS of doses...MILLIONS...Yet you say the supply is limited. If millions is a "limited" supply...well only someone on your side would try to make that believable. Any NORMAL human being would understand Millions is NOT a "limited" supply". he also will not let doctors administer it...talk about killing your own..who's fault is that?? Not the Presidents..it's Cuomo's

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3172 on: April 04, 2020, 11:36:57 PM »
After reading hundreds of even handed, straight down the middle posts on Scoop, I sense that you and others here are yearning for the end to partisanship. So sad that Donald Trump won’t let you. I love ya, Gooo, but c’mon. Not your fault that the President is lacking in self awareness, but that’s no excuse for losing yours.

I have no illusions that partisanship can be ended by this crisis. But it would be nice if the guy in charge at least hit “pause” for a few weeks and learned from his mistakes while people are dying in droves.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3173 on: April 04, 2020, 11:42:51 PM »

One easy solution - instead of waffling whenever asked about states that haven’t yet implemented stay at home orders - he could strongly and consistently call out every holdout, pointing out that we are all in this together and need to do what the public health experts are recommending. Consistent, unifying, and supported by what scientists currently know about the virus.

If he repeated that mantra sincerely and consistently, we would have the ability to fight the pandemic in a unified way.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 11:45:14 PM by GooooMarquette »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3174 on: April 04, 2020, 11:58:23 PM »

Every leader has made mistakes, but this isn’t one of them.

It is up to individual doctors - not politicians - to decide whether to prescribe off-label use of medications that are approved for other conditions. I suspect most docs aren’t doing this because the scientific data is lacking, but you would have to ask them.

feedback