[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[May 05, 2024, 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Season outlook took a hit  (Read 14625 times)

tower912

• All American
Season outlook took a hit
« on: November 28, 2017, 07:39:30 AM »
There is no getting around the fact that Haanif's decision has negatively impacted the prospects for the rest of the year.   There wasn't enough size, depth or experience before.  This has exacerbated the problem.  I know longer think this is a bubble team.  Counting on 3 freshmen to make significant contributions is asking for disappointment. 

If Wojo somehow gets this team to the tourney, any questions about his ability will be put to rest.  And recruit more guards.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

esotericmindguy

• All American
Re: Season outlook took a hit
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 07:50:14 AM »
It's not a recruiting issue, it's a player management issue. If 2 of the recent transfers were still on the team (Duane, Cheatham, Carter) there would great depth. Marquette seems to be perpetually young. I'm sure it's an issue for many programs, but Marquette has a serious problem keeping roll players around for 4 years.  I think Cain, Eke & Elliot being 3 star kids should help buck the trend.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 07:53:54 AM »
It's not a recruiting issue, it's a player management issue. If 2 of the recent transfers were still on the team (Duane, Cheatham, Carter) there would great depth. Marquette seems to be perpetually young. I'm sure it's an issue for many programs, but Marquette has a serious problem keeping roll players around for 4 years.  I think Cain, Eke & Elliot being 3 star kids should help buck the trend.

I wonder how much of this is related to the lack of recent NCAA success.  It's one thing to find out your are a role player on a team that expects to go to the NCAA tourney every year -- completely another with our recent track record.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 08:00:05 AM »
There is no getting around the fact that Haanif's decision has negatively impacted the prospects for the rest of the year.   There wasn't enough size, depth or experience before.  This has exacerbated the problem.  I know longer think this is a bubble team.  Counting on 3 freshmen to make significant contributions is asking for disappointment. 

If Wojo somehow gets this team to the tourney, any questions about his ability will be put to rest.  And recruit more guards.
We looked terrible last night, but there was not enough time to adjust practice / strategy. I’m sure the announcement hurt team mood. Hope we can hold what’s left of OOC to 1 or 2 losses and then see what Froling brings. Unfortunately we took a big hit with HC’s transfer.
Goal is National Championship

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 08:02:27 AM »
To borrow from Donald Rumsfeld, MU is going to do battle with the team we have, not the team we wish we had.   Take a long, objective look at the size, experience, and talent level of this team.    Adjust your expectations accordingly.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 08:14:59 AM »
Tower

It very likely will be a very long season. I look forward to reading about the starting lineups two years down the road. My favorite is when the projected depth charts by position get brought to our attention.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 08:17:32 AM »
Greg & Harry come through; Jamal & Sacar give more; Matt does more... and we can be in.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Lacrosse218

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 08:18:36 AM »
All good points, I just don't see us being a tourney team this year.  Consistently being young and typically short on role players is getting tiring. 

I expect big things next year with this roster and adding Froling, little Hauser, and Morrow...as in consistently a top 20 team and making it to the 2nd weekend of the tourney.  If we fall short of that it will be time to heat up Wojo's seat, will be year 5 by then and the mediocrity will start getting to me.  I really hope after this year the trajectory for Wojo and the program begins to go up.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 08:21:12 AM »
Depth took a hit. Would Haanif have stopped that debacle last night? Who knows. But that's a steady guy, and another capable defender you could have thrown at Starks.

The staff also needs to scrap high ball pressure and blitzing the screens with the bigs. First, because it's not working, and second, because it expends a ton of energy with no return. With Elliott and Cain you have enough length to still be disruptive playing a more compact defense.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 08:25:58 AM »
The staff also needs to scrap high ball pressure and blitzing the screens with the bigs. First, because it's not working, and second, because it expends a ton of energy with no return. With Elliott and Cain you have enough length to still be disruptive playing a more compact defense.

I think this is a great point. We're running our bigs all over the place and not getting anything out of it, except for tired guys. I'd like to see some changes here too.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 08:53:03 AM »
My preseason pick for us was playing in Dayton as part of the last four in. Without HC it looks more like an NIT berth. We'll know a lot more after the OOC
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 09:45:43 AM »
So you think Wojo has mismanaged Duane, Carter, and Cheatham? I don't think any of those guys did anything to secure a starting spot for MU.  Wojo better be recruiting guys to take minutes away from those types of players or else MU is in trouble.

Boards

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 09:45:58 AM »
No doubt about it, losing an upperclassmen wing that's shown well on the defensive side of the ball is a loss. BUT Sacar can play, he's definitely got the size and - yes Hannif was getting better at attacking early this year - I think Sacar is the more confident player. I'm rolling with Sacar in a dog fight over Hannif every day. I think the Sacar we're watching now will look worlds different in a month or two.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 09:48:01 AM »
I never had high expectations for this season. Three frosh, 4 sophs and only two upper classman do not make for a consistently winning team. Greg and Sacar are the only two players that are quick enough to play decent defense. I look forward to seeing them develop into very good players that will make Sam, Joey and Markus into great players. I am also sad to see Haanif leave, but just from the "eye test" when Sacar drives to the basket he gets above the rim and his shot has a good chance of going into the basket whereas Haani's drives were a source of much frustration. My "eye test" however may not match the stats. The loss of Haani may have affected the team last night; just have to wait and see.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 09:50:21 AM by muwarrior69 »

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 09:49:33 AM »
Give it a few games.  They need to adjust.  They have the talent to do it, they just need the time. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 09:50:01 AM »
Greg & Harry come through; Jamal & Sacar give more; Matt does more... and we can be in.

This, plus I think we found a new offense last night.

Run it through Hauser on the high post. Get him a touch, or have him screen the ball and roll or pop out for 3 on nearly every possession. It will get him better shots, and will take some focus off Rowsey & Howard so they can get better shots.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2017, 10:00:50 AM »
This, plus I think we found a new offense last night.

Run it through Hauser on the high post. Get him a touch, or have him screen the ball and roll or pop out for 3 on nearly every possession. It will get him better shots, and will take some focus off Rowsey & Howard so they can get better shots.

No to overstate the obvious, what we really need to find is a new defense.

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2017, 10:51:02 AM »
The waiting has been excruciating. It’s taking much longer than most had anticipated to get back to relevancy.  In regards to D, Wojo has talked about it since day 1.  At what point do we consider that he either can’t coach it or recruit the players who are willing to play it? 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 10:54:42 AM by jonny09 »

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2017, 11:10:21 AM »
No to overstate the obvious, what we really need to find is a new defense.

Ha true, but painful scoring droughts have hurt us this year as well. Plus it helps the D to play after a made basket, kinda symbiotic that way.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2017, 11:15:49 AM »
If the freshman and froling can't step up we won't be playing postseason basketball

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2017, 11:17:21 AM »
All good points, I just don't see us being a tourney team this year.  Consistently being young and typically short on role players is getting tiring. 

I expect big things next year with this roster and adding Froling, little Hauser, and Morrow...as in consistently a top 20 team and making it to the 2nd weekend of the tourney.  If we fall short of that it will be time to heat up Wojo's seat, will be year 5 by then and the mediocrity will start getting to me.  I really hope after this year the trajectory for Wojo and the program begins to go up.

Completely agree. I get that most schools have transfers. But it seems like every year all we talk about is how good we will be when these guys get older, but it never seems to happen.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2017, 11:18:41 AM »
You guys need to settle down lol we lost to .500 UW-Green Bay the year we made it to the Elite 8. Every team can have a bad game and we had our worst of the year last night and still won. We will probably struggle a bit for the next month but I am confident Froling will help the offensive/defensive paint presence issue. Greg Elliott stepped up across the board last night.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2017, 11:26:53 AM »
Not sure where this is coming from?

Everyone seems to believe hanni was the savior of MU basketball or something.

Nice player, but by no means have my expectations of the NCAA tournament berth changed.  I won't miss Hanni continuously getting stuffed at the rim each game.  His offense was subpar. No right hand finish, and could hit the open 3 once in a while.

Elliot has shown me he's much better defensively and Anim can make up for the loss of Hanni's offensive production.

I hope we'll for the young man, but I think this could be a good thing.  Freshman getting a lot of run and contributing early.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2017, 11:27:58 AM »

Qwit being a crybaby tower, we win a close game against a good mid major with a couple highmajor players after traveling multiple time zones and it was the same day a leader anniunced he was leaving tge program.  They showed great stones and won the game, collectively sacar and elliott played as well or better than cheatham has been playing and we won the game.  Anyone who felt this team wouldnt win some we shouldnt n lose some we shouldnt needs to have hus head examined.  Terrible post.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2017, 11:28:49 AM »
So you think Wojo has mismanaged Duane, Carter, and Cheatham? I don't think any of those guys did anything to secure a starting spot for MU.  Wojo better be recruiting guys to take minutes away from those types of players or else MU is in trouble.

Hard to say. I don't pay attention to other teams and their transfers, do players that are actually playing significant minutes transfer from Creighton, Butler, etc.? Maybe it's a matter of being featured, but Duane went to a better team in Texas and is playing similar minutes. Steve Taylor. Gabe Levin. Sandy Cohen. Traci Carter. Duane Wilson. Haanif Cheatham. First two guys had a coaching change so I can forgive that. But all these guys were, or would have gotten, major minutes. Would Cohen be ahead of Cain? I think so. Duane would have been ahead of Elliott. Part of the coach's job is to get kids to buy in, obviously the role players aren't.