[Today at 04:00:30 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: PC of crap  (Read 8665 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: PC of crap
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2017, 01:36:38 PM »
Does MU have a team psychologist?  Talking about "schizo" teams, we are in that category.  I see an issue with group psychology on our team and it is not a coach problem.  We like to think that everything is correctable by the coach, I  disagree, there may be a need for an outside expert.

I mean I understand the frustration, but if you look at the season as whole, we hadn't lost a game we weren't supposed to until yesterday. We hadn't won a game we weren't supposed to until @Creighton and Nova. Until this past week we had been very consistent.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2017, 01:38:39 PM »
Jay Bee--I understand using eFG% as an explanation for a win or loss as you did above.
Can efg% be used as a predication factor? I guess my question is MU is top 10 efg% and PC is north of 100--however it didnt equate to an MU win yesterday. Is the only thing to be said that PC was much more efficient than their season average and we were much less--that is why we lost?
I see top efg% 25 teams such as Loyola Akron, Lehigh, IPFW, Weber st, rice and E Tenn St. and would believe that PC would be favored over each of these teams if they played head to head.
I admit to not completing understanding this, but just wondering how helpful these numbers can be in future games. Thanks.

You also have to look at the eFG% that a team's defense allows.

EDIT: Just read Jay Bee's stuff. He goes a lot more in depth.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2017, 02:04:13 PM »
Two constants from this game:

1) During the course of a year, a team will win some it should lose and lose some it should win. Yesterday fell into the latter category.

2) Marquette will live and die with shooting percentage. Shoot less than 50 percent, we will lose. Shoot 50 percent to 54 percent and we're going to be break-even Shoot more than 54 percent, there is little that can stop us.

One thing to note was that when Big Fishy was in the game against PC, he looked unstoppable. Keep the Fish out of foul trouble, shoot 55 percent and play a little defense and we could run the table.

And my dog flies!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2017, 02:27:42 PM »
2) Marquette will live and die with shooting percentage. Shoot less than 50 percent, we will lose. Shoot 50 percent to 54 percent and we're going to be break-even Shoot more than 54 percent, there is little that can stop us.

This is wrong and the entire premise makes no sense. What relevance does FG% have? Two teams shoot 50% in the same game, and they take the same number of shots. If everything else in the game is equal besides types of field goals made, who wins? The team with the most 3's. To ignore that is frankly bizarre.

BTW,
MU has shot less than 50% 11 times this year (which is irrelevant, but since you said if they do they'll lose...) .. they're 4-7 in those games.
When they've shot 50-54%, they're 5-0.
54%+, 5-0.

The thing is.. MU shoots a lot of treys and hasn't had many 'off nights' from deep. It's all about eFG%.. FG% is not a measure you should be using... and your claims are wrong.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2017, 07:52:02 AM »
The loss was again on the defense. Providence scored 113.5 ppp, their fourth-best performance of the season and best in 10 conference games."

They didn't score that much in the entire game, much less on a per possession basis  ;)
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback