[Today at 01:32:59 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hoya thoughts  (Read 17282 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Hoya thoughts
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2015, 09:50:03 PM »
1.  Quick question.   How many MU players had played meaningful minutes in a conference road game prior to tonight?   Before anybody starts screaming, contemplate that question. 
2.  Can't fault the effort.   Wojo is getting max effort out of his team.   MU played harder tonight. 
3.   Need to shoot better.
4.   Smith is a load.
5.   Beating G-town in DC is just more than this team has right now.    No shame in it.   
6.   A lot of good things, but not enough winning things. 
7.  All you can ever ask for in a conference road game is chance to win at the end.  MU got that tonight.   Couldn't quite get over the hump.
8.  Wojo went with Carlino, Duane, and JJJ down the stretch.   IMO, MU needed Derrick's leadership on the floor, even if he isn't going to hit a jumper.   Offense couldn't get synced.
9.   Learn, grow, next. 

10. Other than making their free throws, Georgetown played horribly in the second half. Game was ours for the taking. We couldn't get it done.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2015, 10:09:03 PM »
That's an understatement. Most of the players are increbibly weak relative to the competition. Big change from what we are used to from the last 5 years or so.

Steve, Derrick, Juan, Carlino, and Luke are all just fine in terms of physical strength. JJJ, Duane, and Cohen are all thin. Shocking that it's the underclassmen (outside of Luke) who need to add weight.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2015, 10:16:44 PM »
I watched with a G'Town alum.  As he said, the Hoyas were doing everything the could to give it away, but we refused to accept the gift.  It is hard for me to argue with his comments.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2015, 05:33:24 AM »
Other than Carlino, nobody on MU's team has ever, at the college level, been a go to guy at crunch time.  They were all clearly deferring to Matt.  
Every team is going to try to take Luke away.   Every game, it is going to be a new learning experience how to get him the ball.  

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400588404
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 06:30:04 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2015, 08:14:06 AM »
As much as Carlino can be frustrating, I really can't imagine how much worse MU would be without him. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2015, 08:20:51 AM »
As much as Carlino can be frustrating, I really can't imagine how much worse MU would be without him. 

I completely agree.   His problem late last night was trying to do it all himself and not get his opportunities through the offense.   It isn't the first time.   Hopefully,  he can work through it. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2015, 09:13:35 AM »
Marquette did a great job with the zone defense. It's very active and clearly disrupted our offense. Not a good game by my Hoyas, but we made winning plays down the stretch.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2015, 09:23:44 AM »

MU won eFG% but lost the other four factors. Losing on OR% is not a surprise. However, just matching GU on turnovers isn't enough to win against a good team on the road.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2015, 09:25:50 AM »
That was just an incredible display of basketball suckitude.

I really can't think of any redeeming performances by any Warrior tonight.  

This is a surprisingly willie-like comment from you, Sultan; you generally are more optimistic.

Luke didn't miss a shot, and a few of them were difficult shots over big men. Jajuan, Juan, Derrick and even Carlino had some pretty good moments out there, too.

Georgetown didn't play its best game, but to have a legit chance in the final minutes on the road against a team that has been ranked this season ... this was nowhere near a "suckitude" game.

Omaha sucked. The last 5 minutes at DePaul sucked. NJIT sucked even in victory. I thought we made too many mistakes tonight, but I didn't think we "sucked."

Just my opinion, of course.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2015, 09:35:26 AM »
Omaha sucked. The last 5 minutes at DePaul sucked. NJIT sucked even in victory. I thought we made too many mistakes tonight, but I didn't think we "sucked."

I didn't mean Marquette sucked.  I meant the game was just bad basketball.  Turnovers...bad shooting...ugly possession after ugly possession.  There really is no way I would have watched that game had I not had a rooting interest.  Most regular season college basketball has gotten depressingly poor.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2015, 09:52:29 AM »
There really is no way I would have watched that game had I not had a rooting interest.  Most regular season college basketball has gotten depressingly poor.

For the first time in my life, I've watched more NBA ball than college, and it's not close. College basketball is such a crap product.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2015, 09:56:48 AM »
Marquette did a great job with the zone defense. It's very active and clearly disrupted our offense. Not a good game by my Hoyas, but we made winning plays down the stretch.

Not so hard to do when the opposition throws the ball straight to you.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2015, 09:58:47 AM »
Cut it to one again and Duane travels.

That travel by Duane was a back-breaker, but on that play Anderson passed up a wide open 8-10 footer to kick it back to Duane.  Sometimes some of our guys forget to look at the friggin' hoop.  Taylor passed up a wide open 10 footer and tried to go one on three against bigger guys at the hoop and got stuffed earlier in the game.  Duane and JjJ often pass up open mid-range twos to careen into the lane.  We often take forced shots at the end of the shot clock when we had good opportunities during the possession.  I think some of our guys need to do a better job recognizing when they have a good shot.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2015, 10:14:28 AM »
That travel by Duane was a back-breaker, but on that play Anderson passed up a wide open 8-10 footer to kick it back to Duane.  Sometimes some of our guys forget to look at the friggin' hoop.  Taylor passed up a wide open 10 footer and tried to go one on three against bigger guys at the hoop and got stuffed earlier in the game.  Duane and JjJ often pass up open mid-range twos to careen into the lane.  We often take forced shots at the end of the shot clock when we had good opportunities during the possession.  I think some of our guys need to do a better job recognizing when they have a good shot.

Ideally, that ability will come with experience. The mid-range game, itself comes with experience. Most perimeter players come out of HS scoring almost entirely 3s or drives. You rarely see pull-up jumpers or even 12-15 footers much. MU is not a great outside shooting team but another way to break a zone is by simply hitting shots from open areas inside the 3-point line - think back to Lazar working the high post.

brandx

« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2015, 10:16:54 AM »
For the first time in my life, I've watched more NBA ball than college, and it's not close. College basketball is such a crap product.

Lakers coach Byron Scott said college basketball is more aggressive and "much more physical" than the NBA.

The NBA is much more adaptable than the NCAA.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2015, 11:29:16 AM »
Steve, Derrick, Juan, Carlino, and Luke are all just fine in terms of physical strength. JJJ, Duane, and Cohen are all thin. Shocking that it's the underclassmen (outside of Luke) who need to add weight.

I would even argue that Luke needs to put on some weight.  He's obviously not as skinny as Cohen or Duane, but seeing him in person on Saturday for the first time, I was kind of surprised how slender he is for his frame.  He doesn't need to be transformed, but I think a bit of bulk will make him even more of a beast inside.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2015, 11:45:33 AM »
I would venture that 99% of 7' 20 year olds could put on some weight.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2015, 11:49:03 AM »
I would even argue that Luke needs to put on some weight.  He's obviously not as skinny as Cohen or Duane, but seeing him in person on Saturday for the first time, I was kind of surprised how slender he is for his frame.  He doesn't need to be transformed, but I think a bit of bulk will make him even more of a beast inside.

I don't disagree, adding some weight would be helpful, but he isn't too thin/weak to where he needs it, like Cohen, Duane, and JJJ.  Juan also could use a bit more, but he has filled out quite a bit and is now a solid build.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2015, 11:54:50 AM »
Ideally, that ability will come with experience. The mid-range game, itself comes with experience. Most perimeter players come out of HS scoring almost entirely 3s or drives. You rarely see pull-up jumpers or even 12-15 footers much. MU is not a great outside shooting team but another way to break a zone is by simply hitting shots from open areas inside the 3-point line - think back to Lazar working the high post.

Agreed.  And hopefully this is something that Wojo and the coaching staff recognize and point out in film study.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2015, 12:21:50 PM »
I would even argue that Luke needs to put on some weight.  He's obviously not as skinny as Cohen or Duane, but seeing him in person on Saturday for the first time, I was kind of surprised how slender he is for his frame.  He doesn't need to be transformed, but I think a bit of bulk will make him even more of a beast inside.
I agree that Luke needs to put on some weight. I would also argue that some weight will come in a few years when he will be putting some NBA coin in his pocket.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2015, 04:04:34 PM »
I was very happy with the way we played defense. Early in the season, we were horrible on defense, but now we seem to be very solid. Our young players JJJ, Wilson and Cohen are very quick. However, they need to learn how to utilize their quickness. Offensively we are taking too many threes and driving to the basket too much. We need to learn to take pull up jumpers. Right now the defense is just packing it in when we drive all the way to the hoop.

connie

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2015, 04:40:57 PM »
My head tells me that this is true, especially with our lack of depth, but every time I have seen Carlino play frustration is my dominant take away.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus