[Today at 08:09:02 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Moving forward  (Read 2445 times)

tower912

• All American
Moving forward
« on: December 07, 2013, 08:05:33 PM »
4 games in the next 23 days.   Lots of time for practice, lots of time to get the freshmen to understand defensive rotations, time to see if Duane is going to be able to contribute this year.   Predictions:
1.  New rotations.   Increased playing time for JJJ and Deonte.   Possibly starting JJJ over Jake.  Possibly Deonte over Juan.
2.  ST jr comes back healthy.   He picks up time at the 4, because...
3.  CO and DG on the floor together at the same time has not been productive.   DG can't guard a perimeter player.   
4.  One of the freshman PG's starts getting more time. 
5.  One of the seniors decide they are going to go out in style and become the man. 
6.  Two months from today, we will be talking about seeds, and ruing our OOC record that is going to drop us to a 5-6 line. 

This time is going to be used productively.   Buzz is ticked and is going to find the right buttons to push to light a fire under this team.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Stronghold

• All American
Re: Moving forward
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 08:32:17 PM »
I am really liking Deonte right now.  Admittedly, I haven't observed his defense much so I can't comment on that but I think he finds himself in position a lot of the time and has the strength/skills to play at the D1 level already.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 08:33:30 PM »
I am really liking Deonte right now.  Admittedly, I haven't observed his defense much so I can't comment on that but I think he finds himself in position a lot of the time and has the strength/skills to play at the D1 level already.

He's going to be fine, but he is repeatedly out of place defensively.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 08:38:45 PM »
Not hearing good things about STJ's leg injury. Might not be seeing much of him at all, if any, this year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 08:40:19 PM »
4 games in the next 23 days.   Lots of time for practice, lots of time to get the freshmen to understand defensive rotations, time to see if Duane is going to be able to contribute this year.   Predictions:
1.  New rotations.   Increased playing time for JJJ and Deonte.   Possibly starting JJJ over Jake.  Possibly Deonte over Juan.
2.  ST jr comes back healthy.   He picks up time at the 4, because...
3.  CO and DG on the floor together at the same time has not been productive.   DG can't guard a perimeter player.   
4.  One of the freshman PG's starts getting more time. 
5.  One of the seniors decide they are going to go out in style and become the man. 
6.  Two months from today, we will be talking about seeds, and ruing our OOC record that is going to drop us to a 5-6 line. 

This time is going to be used productively.   Buzz is ticked and is going to find the right buttons to push to light a fire under this team.

Number 5 is very important. Jamil's 24 is a great start.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 02:38:06 AM »
Not hearing good things about STJ's leg injury. Might not be seeing much of him at all, if any, this year.
'

That's bad news.

connie

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 07:05:07 AM »
Tower, how dare you start a topic with a logical premise, laying out cogent thoughts for how the team moves forward instead of whining and complaining.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 09:17:40 AM »
Thanks, Connie.   I know it is inconsistent with the mindset here sometimes, but I try. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Les Nessman

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 09:25:53 AM »

What exactly are you hearing?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 09:46:08 AM »
What exactly are you hearing?

Hearing that his leg is not improving at all and in fact is getting worse. Didn't practice all week, it's possible they may shut him down for the season. This is NOT, however, coming from my source who when he tells me something it more or less always happens, but it could explain his lack of production so far this season.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 09:50:26 AM »
Hearing that his leg is not improving at all and in fact is getting worse. Didn't practice all week, it's possible they may shut him down for the season. This is NOT, however, coming from my source who when he tells me something it more or less always happens, but it could explain his lack of production so far this season.

Hey may qualify for a medical redshirt.  Probably not a bad option at this point.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 11:46:55 AM »

Hey may qualify for a medical redshirt.  Probably not a bad option at this point.

That was going to be my question if in fact they do decide STJ will not be able to/should not play this season.  What is the timeframe for receiving a "medical hardship waiver" or whatever it's called?  Isn't it playing in less than like 30% of the team's games or something?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 11:48:07 AM »
That was going to be my question if in fact they do decide STJ will not be able to/should not play this season.  What is the timeframe for receiving a "medical hardship waiver" or whatever it's called?  Isn't it playing in less than like 30% of the team's games or something?

Ask Jay Bee

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 07:02:10 PM »

All I know is that at the Wooden Legacy Steve's injury was fine and he was being benched because he can't play his defense. Maybe something changed since then
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Logi4three

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 09:53:32 PM »
During Buzz's Wednesday radio show with Homer he said that Steve T was not progressing and that they were getting more test results (I can't remember if he said later that week or this coming week).  Reading between the lines it sure sounded like a potential red shirt situation, but then the conversation went on and red shirt started to be mentioned regarding Du Wilson.  Ugh! 

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2013, 10:02:42 PM »
Don't know if they could get a redshirt on Steve (I believe it's percentage of games played).

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2013, 11:33:21 PM »
Don't know if they could get a redshirt on Steve (I believe it's percentage of games played).

They have 31 scheduled games, and the rule is 30%. So we should know soon.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2013, 08:14:59 AM »
Marquette just played perhaps its toughest stretch of a schedule in decades.  Five games straight on the road, going 2-3.  The three losses are essentially road games to quality teams.  All games have been close at the end.

A transfer, two major injuries, two missed games with a suspension and a sprained ankle has this team back pedaling.  Buzz warned us preseason about this team.  We chose to ignore it, myself included.  The parts are there, the body isn't yet.  

The front court is really doing as expected, but the reality so far is that with the make up of this team, Buzz needs more from them.  Why?  The backcourt has been non-existent.  Honestly, the Bucky game has to be the last straw.  The problem isn't the lack of production, it is the lack of shooting.  Even DW's shots were forced bad shots while he and Jake passed up or didn't even look to shoot.  Same with JJJ and Dawson.  The one game where they looked to score was MU's best game:  GW.  Who cares if they miss as the outcome will be the same but I doubt it will as they are not all bad shooters.

Buzz's team always improve over break, even with uncertainty swirling.  Time to step up, the coach included.  

« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 08:17:11 AM by Dr. Blackheart »