'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Would you trade Marquette's success in the immediate future for a Final Four run?

Yes
47 (56%)
No
15 (17.9%)
Shut up, Dummy.
22 (26.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: Would you trade the future, for a Final Four  (Read 7995 times)

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
Re: Would you trade the future, for a Final Four
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2019, 05:16:25 PM »
"Another" successful year? Even if MU makes the final four next year he's not the "heir apparent" in Durham.

Plus Tax
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2019, 05:27:02 PM »
The younger people are saying "just one MU championship in my life and I'll be happy." The older people are saying "just one more MU championship in my life and I'll be happy."

The older people are proving the fallacy of the younger people's thinking, and ultimately of their own.

Once you get the taste of a championship, your thirst may be quenched for a bit...but eventually you will want more.

Fine. I will trade 15 years of mediocre in the future for like 3 championships in 5 years in the present.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2019, 05:42:01 PM »
Fine. I will trade 15 years of mediocre in the future for like 3 championships in 5 years in the present.

OK, that one I’ll buy.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2019, 10:36:32 PM »
I think Joey has at least 2 years left.
[/quote.

One year left, if that happens he will have to improve, basically everything.  If he did, MU makes the Final 4.  I am still not sure he even becomes a pro, we will see. Hope he does.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2019, 10:45:30 PM »
With two wins next March, Wojo will be gone.  He won't stick around.

Buzz won 8 games in the big boy tourney before he left. Would Wojo really desert us after a measly 2?

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2019, 10:55:30 PM »
Goose

I have a deal with the Good Lord.

I don’t die before another National Championship.

No ifs, ands or buts.....

It will happen!
good thing you're only 12 years old now eh?
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2019, 10:57:45 PM »
Hoping for a great season next year (Elite 8 or more) or just a horrific season.  Either way, I’d be willing to bet Wojo is gone 

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2019, 12:37:07 AM »
First of all, if Wojo left after a Final Four run next year (come on now...) the cupboard would not be nearly as bare as when Buzz left.  That's not to pin all the blame on Buzz - I believe the conference realignment played a huge role in which players wanted to stay at MU/stay committed to MU.

But to answer your question - yes I would absolutely take that.  For some teams (Marquette is unfortunately entering this echelon thanks to reasons we could debate until we are blue), a Final Four is once in a lifetime.  But your hypothetical is paradoxical to say the least.  It just doesn't seem possible that the team in its current condition, with all of its existing and work-in-process resources, could go from a Final Four directly to NIT/CIT for multiple years.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2019, 02:32:01 AM »
Hoping for a great season next year (Elite 8 or more) or just a horrific season.  Either way, I’d be willing to bet Wojo is gone

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2019, 07:06:50 AM »
Buzz won 8 games in the big boy tourney before he left. Would Wojo really desert us after a measly 2?

The differentiating factor is that Buzz took 3 years to get two March wins.  (Actually 3.)  (Yes, yes, bare cupboard, blah blah blah.  Wojo's next job interviewer isn't going to be fond of all the excuses.)

Wojo is on year 5 with zero.  If year 6 he collects two ..with the next season minus two NBA players on his roster and a healthier Big East?  Time to jump.

His stock would be the highest it's ever been, and he'll need to reset his clock.  He can't go 7-8 years at Marquette without showing consistent success or he'll be doomed to the Horizon League for his inevitable job #2.

He can't risk being at an underperforming Marquette for so many years.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2019, 07:12:36 AM »
The differentiating factor is that Buzz took 3 years to get two March wins.  (Actually 3.)  (Yes, yes, bare cupboard, blah blah blah.  Wojo's next job interviewer isn't going to be fond of all the excuses.)

Wojo is on year 5 with zero.  If year 6 he collects two ..with the next season minus two NBA players on his roster and a healthier Big East?  Time to jump.

His stock would be the highest it's ever been, and he'll need to reset his clock.  He can't go 7-8 years at Marquette without showing consistent success or he'll be doomed to the Horizon League for his inevitable job #2.

If Joey were to stay I think having him and Koby plus senior John Cain and RSJr Elliott and junior bailey is still a decent core returning. Lots of roll players and have Joey and Koby run the offense. That's not even including Symir and any 2020 class members. Just seems like he'll have a steady pipeline going of experience and his players then. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Goose

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2019, 07:34:32 AM »
Topper

I am with you on that. The best lateral or upward job security in coaching is not staying at one place too long. At new job there is always a honeymoon period. While I do not think Wojo leaves next season, it would not be a bad career choice. Get a nice raise and no pressure on winning for five years, if he lands new gig with similar fan base as MU.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2019, 08:00:21 AM »
i think he's gone no matter and NOT to duke.  heck, if all it took was a win or two in the dance, why doesn't duke just take him now and get it over with. 

now, in order to get/keep recruits, we need them to buy-in on MU and get a "kick-arse" coach.  no tickling around the edges.  i still say ben mccollum from northwest missouri state-he's got the makings of being a stud. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2019, 08:19:04 AM »

Teal?

Whether or not he deserves it, gets offered it, or even gets a courtesy interview, the one job that is always in the back of his mind is Duke.  I'd be willing to bet that when K retires, Duke won't be interested in someone who has the makings of a career journeyman.  If Wojo truly has his heart set on that job, whether right after K, or years down the line, his best bet is to stay at one job and prove that he can build a sustainable program.  If my speculation is off, and all Wojo wants to be is the next Kruger or Buzz, then I could see him jumping after next year, but if he is keeping an eye on the Duke situation I think he'll truly "be here as long as you'll have me".
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2019, 08:19:40 AM »
Topper-

I have no idea what Wojo will do next year.  But I think he's more likely to stay and build off of success.  Being a job hopper only works for so long.   Eventually it works against you.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2019, 08:57:21 AM »
I didn't know there was a "non-job hopper" coach classification.  (slightly teal)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_NCAA_Division_I_men%27s_basketball_coaches

Average tenure = 5.1 years .. median = 3 years.

Filtering for major conferences.. average is 7.1 years, median = 5 years.

.. Of the 75 major programs, only 17 of them have coaches who have stayed 10+ years.

There are 330+ stepping stone programs.  Coaches move around.  It's unique when they do not.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2019, 09:06:59 AM »
Topper-

I have no idea what Wojo will do next year.  But I think he's more likely to stay and build off of success.  Being a job hopper only works for so long.   Eventually it works against you.

And you base this assertion on what?  Buzz is a hopper.  He is extremely successful, and I don't think anyone is going to get tired of it.  As long as there is a team that wants a good coach, he can jump around all he wants.  At this point, Buzz has been hopping for 13 years now, and he has made PLENTY of money doing it.  Assuming he lasts 5 years at TAMU, he will be at it for 18 years.  Long time to coach D1 basketball.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2019, 09:16:03 AM »
Topper-

I understand most coaches either fail and get fired, or succeed and move onto higher paying jobs. 

I'm talking more about specific cases.  How many highly successful, high major coaches change jobs every 5 years?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2019, 09:19:24 AM »
Topper-

I understand most coaches either fail and get fired, or succeed and move onto higher paying jobs. 

I'm talking more about specific cases.  How many highly successful, high major coaches change jobs every 5 years?

Larry Brown is all I got.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2019, 09:30:07 AM »
I didn't know there was a "non-job hopper" coach classification.  (slightly teal)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_NCAA_Division_I_men%27s_basketball_coaches

Average tenure = 5.1 years .. median = 3 years.

Filtering for major conferences.. average is 7.1 years, median = 5 years.

.. Of the 75 major programs, only 17 of them have coaches who have stayed 10+ years.

There are 330+ stepping stone programs.  Coaches move around.  It's unique when they do not.

K coaching tree at high majors.  Average tenure; 7 years (not including Gaudet's one year a Duke when K was hurt).  Number of coaches that have worked at more than one high major; 2 (of 14).  Number of coaches that have gone from high major directly to high major without taking time off for a recruiting scandal; 1.

Every former Coach K assistant has at one time or another thought about taking over the Duke job, and they know that in order to do that they really only get one chance at a high major (Capel took time off going back to Duke and has to try to resurrect the dumpster fire at Pitt, and Amaker had one tourney appearance in a decade and is now at a mid major). 

Wojo knows that if he can't make it and sustain it at MU, his chances at the Duke job are extremely low.  Now if the job opens up, and he doesn't get it, he might re-asses his future and decide MU isn't the best place for him, but as long as the Duke job remains the pipe dream, Wojo is not going to leave unless he is pushed out. 
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2019, 09:31:01 AM »
And you base this assertion on what?  Buzz is a hopper.  He is extremely successful, and I don't think anyone is going to get tired of it.  As long as there is a team that wants a good coach, he can jump around all he wants.  At this point, Buzz has been hopping for 13 years now, and he has made PLENTY of money doing it.  Assuming he lasts 5 years at TAMU, he will be at it for 18 years.  Long time to coach D1 basketball.

Buzz is an exception.  Who knows,  maybe he'll be at TAMU more than a decade.

Many more examples of guys that stay long-term and cultivate success.  Coach K, Izzo, Wright, Few, Bennett, etc.

Guys like Tubby Smith and Cuonzo Martin are much more typical examples of journeymen. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2019, 09:37:18 AM »
Topper-

Uhh .. not many.   I'm not sure where you are going, though.  Wojo is not highly successful nor at a high major program.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2019, 09:41:59 AM »
Man ya'll do love Arbys. Either we lose or we win and Wojo will run to the first job that raises its skirt at him.

Im gonna on record as predicting Wojo will be here in year 7. I'm also going to predict that when he leaves it will either be because he was fired or because he's leaving for a top 15 type job in the country.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2019, 09:43:23 AM »
Uhh .. not many.   I'm not sure where you are going, though.  Wojo is not highly successful nor at a high major program.

C'mon topper. I get why you don't think Wojo has been successful but Marquette isn't a high major program? Go eat some Arby's
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2019, 09:56:40 AM »

You stated your opinion: Wojo will leave if he wins 2 tournament games next year.

I disagree.  I think Wojo would be more likely to stay and build off of that success.

Now let's hope Wojo wins two tourney games so we can test our theories.  8-)

feedback