[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Chris Mullin to step down at SJU  (Read 12406 times)

muguru

• All American
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
Re: Chris Mullin to step down at SJU
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 07:41:45 PM »
Sounds like they’re targeting Bobby Hurley, who would be a nice coup.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 07:44:16 PM »
Sounds like they’re targeting Bobby Hurley, who would be a nice coup.

Yup...https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1115413299645091840

Which would then make you wonder if Stan would at all be a candidate there

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 07:57:13 PM »
I never felt this was a good hire, and always figured it’d be short-lived.  I’d feel the same way if MU hired Doc Rivers.  Did anyone really think that a guy who’s as used to the glitz and glamour of the NBA as Mullin was would be into attending AAU tournaments and sucking up to helicopter parents 12 months a year?  The same thing will happen with Ewing.  It takes a special kind of crazy to be a college basketball lifer.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 07:59:57 PM by Research Report »

TheTulsaWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 07:59:05 PM »
Guy, Stan left Bobby pdq to come to Marquette.  I doubt BH has warm fuzzies about that.  Stan was a Herb Sendak hire at Arizona State and had a cup of coffee in Tempe before booking after Herb was fired.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 08:16:33 PM »
I never felt this was a good hire, and always figured it’d be short-lived.  I’d feel the same way if MU hired Doc Rivers.  Did anyone really think that a guy who’s as used to the glitz and glamour of the NBA as Mullin was would be into attending AAU tournaments and sucking up to helicopter parents 12 months a year?  The same thing will happen with Ewing.  It takes a special kind of crazy to be a college basketball lifer.

Agree on Mullin, felt the same way about Drexler.
However, i think Doc would have been different, not today but 10-15 years ago i think he would have been terrific.  Very personable nni tjink kids n patents woukd have loved him.
  I also think Ewing will be fine, he has a chip on his shoulder.  Mullin n clyde had nothing to prove n quickky burned out, the fire burns strong in Ewing.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 08:40:35 PM »
Guy, Stan left Bobby pdq to come to Marquette.  I doubt BH has warm fuzzies about that.  Stan was a Herb Sendak hire at Arizona State and had a cup of coffee in Tempe before booking after Herb was fired.

I think the poster meant Stan to ASU to be head coach, not follow Hurley to St. John’s

I think that’d be a giant step for Stan. Great if he gets it but that’s a reach
Bring back FFP!!!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 08:42:29 PM »
Would that make ASU a mid major since they hired a career assistant?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 08:46:11 PM »
Who at St John's watched that abomination of a play in game and thought "man, we gotta get that other guy!"
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 09:17:00 PM »
This is 100% going to be Rick Pitino.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2019, 09:23:28 PM »

Doubt it

muguru

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2019, 09:42:22 PM »
Well their new AD is from Duke, so I think it's safe to say the choice will likely be a former Dukie. Saw John Scheyer's name floated if Hurley says no

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2019, 09:49:07 PM »

I hope you’re right.  Would be huge for the conference.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2019, 09:52:00 PM »
Well their new AD is from Duke, so I think it's safe to say the choice will likely be a former Dukie. Saw John Scheyer's name floated if Hurley says no

Johnny Dawkins? St Johns has the Vitamin Water guy to pay a coach's salary, money won’t be much of an issue.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2019, 09:55:15 PM »
Yup...https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1115413299645091840

Which would then make you wonder if Stan would at all be a candidate there

Why does everyone keep thinking Stan would be a candidate for every mid-tier top 10 conference coaching job. There’s not a good enough track record here for even Wojo to excite any fan base.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

muguru

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2019, 10:05:02 PM »
Why does everyone keep thinking Stan would be a candidate for every mid-tier top 10 conference coaching job. There’s not a good enough track record here for even Wojo to excite any fan base.

You can bet dollars to donuts Stan will apply if the job becomes available. You do know he was an assistant at ASU, right?? I don't think he's ready for a job like that, but schools make strange hires sometimes, especially if they used to work their as an assistant. You see it quite often actually.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2019, 10:06:38 PM »
You can bet dollars to donuts Stan will apply if the job becomes available. You do know he was an assistant at ASU, right?? I don't think he's ready for a job like that, but schools make strange hires sometimes, especially if they used to work their as an assistant. You see it quite often actually.
You think he goes online application or old school paper application?
No Finish Line

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2019, 10:07:53 PM »

It would be like Marquette hiring Isaac Chew when Wojo leaves. I mean anything’s possible but it is highly unlikely.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2019, 10:17:36 PM »
Johnny Dawkins? St Johns has the Vitamin Water guy to pay a coach's salary, money won’t be much of an issue.

Mike Repole’s a big SJU contributor, no doubt....but he’s more Thirsty, my friends, on finding a Derby winner (He ran StayThirsty on the road to the Roses a few years ago). He would’ve had that winner in Uncle Mo if the horse had stayed sound.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2019, 10:38:27 PM »

50?

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2019, 10:40:51 PM »
50?

Mike Repole. Sold it for like a gazillion lol.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2019, 10:54:31 PM »
Would that make ASU a mid major since they hired a career assistant?

Stepping stone.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2019, 12:28:30 AM »

onepost

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2019, 09:38:52 AM »

Gotta remember to use the teal

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2019, 09:43:48 AM »
This is ultimately a good thing for their program and the conference.  Mullin appeared disinterested and apparently was never big into the recruiting aspects of being a college coach.  Would not be surprised if he gets an NBA executive role in some capacity.

If St. John's is able to grab Bobby Hurley, it would be a great PR win for the Big East.  For a change, the league would be stealing coaches away from other power conferences and not vice versa (Buzz, Holtmann, Mack).