[Today at 04:54:28 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by JakeBarnes
[Today at 04:41:29 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by 🏀
[Today at 04:02:44 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: They Know  (Read 6135 times)

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
They Know
« on: April 07, 2019, 10:21:36 PM »
“Other than a tie to Texas, where was the benefit of PULLING THE FLUSH HANDLE on a successful season?”

This sentence or something close to it appeared on the Va. Tech Gobbler site in the article titled “The Final Word on the Big Leaving and What’s Next for Men’s Hoops.”

Someone help please help and post this link for me.....too funny.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

MomofMUltiples

• All American
Re: They Know
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 10:32:19 PM »
It’s interesting to watch the light go on for Hokie fans. From “Buzz really elevated the program, we can attract a major coach” to “Buzz didn’t elevate the program, Buzz elevated Buzz.”  It is nearly an identical “exit stage left” to what Buzz did five years ago at Marquette.  Now you see them puzzling over the coach they ended up with after making it to the sweet sixteen, and gloomily projecting the loss of their recruits and existing players.

Maybe someone should go over there and warn them that five years from now, many of their posters will still be screaming about the loss of Buzz.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 10:41:59 PM »
It’s interesting to watch the light go on for Hokie fans. From “Buzz really elevated the program, we can attract a major coach” to “Buzz didn’t elevate the program, Buzz elevated Buzz.”  It is nearly an identical “exit stage left” to what Buzz did five years ago at Marquette.  Now you see them puzzling over the coach they ended up with after making it to the sweet sixteen, and gloomily projecting the loss of their recruits and existing players.

Maybe someone should go over there and warn them that five years from now, many of their posters will still be screaming about the loss of Buzz.

I hear you, but certainly wouldn't go as far as to compare Va Tech's program status and next coaching hire to Marquette in 2014.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 11:03:26 PM »
In what way?
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 11:35:21 PM »

This is all true, and insightful on your part...but I was merely referencing that someone in their Athletic Dept. must’ve tipped off the writer regarding the bathroom etiquette of a certain coach. The more things change.....
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 06:59:50 AM »
In 5 years... Buzz to UCLA.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 09:03:22 AM »

It certainly dents the argument that MU messed with happiness.  Brent is never happy, that is the key.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 09:25:23 AM »
It certainly dents the argument that MU messed with happiness.  Brent is never happy, that is the key.

With his ties to A&M, it's not surprising that he was lured back there. He left MU when the future of the Big East was somewhat in question, and now he's leaving VT to go back to a program he's been a part of before and to a place he considers home.

I hate the way he left us, but if I'm a casual observer, his moves make sense. Add in some knowledge of his relationship with MU administration, and his decisions begin to make even more sense. He's a proven winner who has been drawing attention from other programs. I don't think it's so diabolical to bite on better offers here and there.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 09:30:10 AM »
With his ties to A&M, it's not surprising that he was lured back there. He left MU when the future of the Big East was somewhat in question, and now he's leaving VT to go back to a program he's been a part of before and to a place he considers home.

I hate the way he left us, but if I'm a casual observer, his moves make sense. Add in some knowledge of his relationship with MU administration, and his decisions begin to make even more sense. He's a proven winner who has been drawing attention from other programs. I don't think it's so diabolical to bite on better offers here and there.

He leaves everywhere he has been....he is a nomad and will leave A&M as well.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 09:32:49 AM »

Affirmative. The luster of being the new guy making the team better and better eventually wears off, and he starts looking for grass that must be greener somewhere else. IMHO, it stems from a personality that has to keep getting better and better...and when he senses anything resembling a plateau, he needs to escape for "more."

In five or six years, the A&M fans will be scratching their heads over "Buzz to ______."

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2019, 09:44:50 AM »

This move sure makes a lot more sense then his last.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2019, 09:48:24 AM »

Huh?  The Big East had expanded to 10 teams following the 2013 season. The FS1 deal was signed in March 2013. Larry left in December 2013 after helping save the Big East. Buzz left in the spring of 2014. His departure had nothing to do with "the future of the Big East" being "somewhat in question"
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 09:52:21 AM by NYWarrior »

onepost

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2019, 09:50:37 AM »
People on the VTScoop board are apoplectic over this Mike Young: well, the hire and the fact he's now getting paid $2.4MM/year.
I'm admittedly guilty of schadenfraude in college hoops more often than I'd like to be, but I can't help but savor their pain after all of the blind "Wojo is our guy, we'll just continue to pluck Marquette coaches" acceptance.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2019, 09:52:57 AM »
Huh?  The Big East had expanded to 10 teams during the 2013-2014 season. The FS1 deal was signed in March 2013. Larry left in December 2013 after helping save the Big East. Buzz left in the spring of 2014. His departure had nothing to do with "the future of the Big East" being "somewhat in question"

He claims that it did.  With Buzz seemingly everything he says is bullcrap but I vaguely recall him saying, after he left, that he did "analysis" that determined he couldn't reach the Final Four at a Big East school.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2019, 09:56:54 AM »
Huh?  The Big East had expanded to 10 teams during the 2013-2014 season. The FS1 deal was signed in March 2013. Larry left in December 2013 after helping save the Big East. Buzz left in the spring of 2014. His departure had nothing to do with "the future of the Big East" being "somewhat in question"

I agree, but - if Buzz truly felt that away - it's not hard to find evidence to support his belief.  The Big East lost Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, West Virginia and Louisville, not to mention leaving UConn and Cincinnati (I won't count Rutgers/USF in that argument).  The conference had just ten programs, none of whom had won a national championship since the 80's.  And, the league only had four bids in 2014, with no team advancing to the Sweet 16.  Villanova won a title just two years later, and the Big East had seven bids a season after that. 

Now, Buzz also proclaimed in an interview after being hired by VT that he foresaw the Power 5 Conferences breaking away and forming their own football playoff and their own basketball tournament.  There was a lot he predicted that did not end up true.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2019, 09:59:21 AM »
He claims that it did.  With Buzz seemingly everything he says is bullcrap but I vaguely recall him saying, after he left, that he did "analysis" that determined he couldn't reach the Final Four at a Big East school.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

And via DeCourcy, TC claimed one reason to leave MU was  because it's the the western most school in the BE.  #CoachSpeak

Buzz' analysis was coach speak to cover for the primary reason he looked to VPI: That he'd stay at Marquette as long as they'd have him.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 10:02:36 AM by NYWarrior »

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2019, 10:00:59 AM »
People on the VTScoop board are apoplectic over this Mike Young: well, the hire and the fact he's now getting paid $2.4MM/year.
I'm admittedly guilty of schadenfraude in college hoops more often than I'd like to be, but I can't help but savor their pain after all of the blind "Wojo is our guy, we'll just continue to pluck Marquette coaches" acceptance.

Of course.  After seeing what Buzz did, they believed they could simply buy another major head coach and keep the train moving.  Unfortunately, I believe many head coaches still view Virginia Tech through a historical lens - a program that has very little history/success, in a powerful basketball conference, that routinely finishes in the bottom half of the league.  Losing over half the team, with each of the recruits going to A&M, and needing to settle in for the long haul no doubt probably chased off many other head coaches as well.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2019, 10:03:47 AM »
Of course.  After seeing what Buzz did, they believed they could simply buy another major head coach and keep the train moving.  Unfortunately, I believe many head coaches still view Virginia Tech through a historical lens - a program that has very little history/success, in a powerful basketball conference, that routinely finishes in the bottom half of the league.  Losing over half the team, with each of the recruits going to A&M, and needing to settle in for the long haul no doubt probably chased off many other head coaches as well.

Add to it that expectations are now high across the fan-base.  If you are always coaching for your next job, it is a terrible situation to jump into.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2019, 10:05:18 AM »

He said he did a study on the likelihood of schools without football to flourish.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/new-faces-new-places-why-did-buzz-williams-leave-marquette-for-vt/amp/

at the time he had somewhat of a point as there had been final fours from MU, Nova, GTown and Butler 2x since the turn of the century. since then Gonzaga made the finals, Nova won two titles and Loyola made the FF so now he looks like an idiot.
Maigh Eo for Sam

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2019, 10:09:19 AM »
He said he did a study on the likelihood of schools without football to flourish.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/new-faces-new-places-why-did-buzz-williams-leave-marquette-for-vt/amp/

That a fun, off-beat folsky coach! Unassailable and clever! /teal

Parrish & Goodman ... Buzz scribes.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2019, 10:34:52 AM »
And via DeCourcy, TC claimed one reason to leave MU was  because it's the the western most school in the BE.  #CoachSpeak

Buzz' analysis was coach speak to cover for the primary reason he looked to VPI: That he'd stay at Marquette as long as they'd have him.

Exactly

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2019, 12:51:35 PM »

at the time he had somewhat of a point as there had been final fours from MU, Nova, GTown and Butler 2x since the turn of the century. since then Gonzaga made the finals, Nova won two titles and Loyola made the FF so now he looks like an idiot.

Seems obvious now, a quote from your link:
He researched every coach who has been at a high-major program for at least eight seasons to the point where he learned that staying in the same place too long in this era -- especially when you'll be inheriting a new athletic director soon, like he would've been at Marquette -- proves to be a mistake more often than not.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2019, 01:37:35 PM »
In 5 years... Buzz to UCLA.

I think it'll be Texas whenever Shaka gets canned.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2019, 01:41:08 PM »

Might be a pretty short stint at A&M then....

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2019, 01:45:04 PM »

That would shock me.  Buzz is more A&M then cheese and whine Austin.

His next stop will be out of state.  The fireworks of him going from A&M to UT Austin would be incredible.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2019, 01:46:24 PM »
Let's not forget how he bailed on UNO....

"I am extremely disappointed that Buzz Williams has decided to
resign," Miller said. "But it's his decision on what to do with his career, whatever the reasons. He has made giant strides at improving our program, for which we are grateful, and I pledge that those positive strides will continue with a new head coach."

Miller said a search will begin immediately.

Williams came to UNO after serving as an assistant coach for two
seasons at Texas A&M. Before that, he spent four years at Colorado
State, where he was associate head coach in 2003-04.

He also had previous assistant coaching jobs at Northwestern
State, Texas A&M-Kingsville and Texas-Arlington.

The Privateers have been out of their regular home stadium,
Lakefront Arena, since Hurricane Katrina, but are expected to move
back into the facility, which is seen as a key recruiting tool,
after renovations are complete in time for the 2008-09 season.

Dude always has a reason to bounce

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2019, 07:00:47 PM »
Buzz left because of fear not because MU messed with happy. He even said as much. In 2013, MU was doing great hit the Elite 8. In 2013-2014, the team collapsed. Internal strife amongst the players along with under performance and a team that didn’t meet expectations. Buzz looked at his 14-15 team and knew they were likely either taking another step back or marginally better since he was losing two of his leading scorers. His best player new player (Burton) had a foot out the door and he was expecting other transfers (STJr).  He was then looking at the Big East and as much as people wanted it to be good it was definitely taking a step back from its peak. He knew if he under performed in a watered down league his stock would plummet and most likely MU fans would turn on him after a few years. He jumped ship to Virginia Tech because the option was there, the ACC was the league, and there were limited expectations. He then was able to ride the turn around to a good team and get out before he experienced another dip. MU under Buzz in 14-15 would have been better than Wojo but still not great as Hill and Shayok took a little while to truly become become studs.  He was recruiting studs to play in the Big East. If recruits didn’t see the league with the same luster he was expecting to underperform.

All of this can be seen in this article.  Especially point two of the contract.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/new-faces-new-places-why-did-buzz-williams-leave-marquette-for-vt/

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2019, 07:05:22 PM »

Yep, that's where the nice cowboys hats are in style.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust