'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East refs blow an obvious double-dribble on UVA  (Read 8308 times)

94Warrior

• All American
Big East refs blow an obvious double-dribble on UVA
« on: April 06, 2019, 11:00:45 PM »
Welcome to the club Auburn.  You got jobbed by Breeding and his band of idiots.

Probably for the best, had Auburn won it all, the title would eventually be vacated thanks to Chuck Person & Bruce Pearl. 

Tony Bennett, like his dad, is one of the good guys.  I am pulling for UVA.

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
Re: Big East refs blow an obvious double-dribble on UVA
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 10:02:49 AM »
Everyone admitted that no one thought it was a double dribble until they started looking at replays. No coach or player complained, no announcer etc. It was a missed call but one that would likely be missed most of the time - the kind that if it was called everyone would have been outraged in disbelief and then realized it was a great call. Just like a bad roll - Auburn caught a bad break. I live 2 miles from the celebration they still had!

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2019/4/6/18298710/auburn-final-four-celebration-video-toomers-corner-premature-virginia-final-four-march-madness
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 10:13:28 AM »
Everyone admitted that no one thought it was a double dribble until they started looking at replays. No coach or player complained, no announcer etc. It was a missed call but one that would likely be missed most of the time - the kind that if it was called everyone would have been outraged in disbelief and then realized it was a great call. Just like a bad roll - Auburn caught a bad break. I live 2 miles from the celebration they still had!

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2019/4/6/18298710/auburn-final-four-celebration-video-toomers-corner-premature-virginia-final-four-march-madness

Exactly. It was obvious to no one until the game was over.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 10:27:23 AM »
Disagree.  Double-dribble is the easiest call in all of basketball. 

Did you think the defender knocked the ball away?  Because, if you did not, as soon as he put 2 hands on the ball the dribble was dead.  Really easy call, especially in the open court.

I saw it immediately, and I would think most serious fans/coaches did the same.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 10:30:26 AM »

Did you think the defender knocked the ball away?  Because, if you did not, as soon as he put 2 hands on the ball the dribble was dead.  Really easy call, especially in the open court.

Pearl didn’t. Even after the timeout there were no complaints.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 10:31:01 AM »

Moot, he was fouled before it even happened...ref missed the foul as well.  Pearl was telling them and motioning to foul UVA, which they did.  UVA got lucky, it happens.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 10:35:26 AM »

Pearl didn’t. Even after the timeout there were no complaints.

Pearl was busy instructing his players to foul, and looking at them.  He wasn't looking at the ballhandler, or he would have gone ballistic.

2 refs were looking right at the ballhandler, and swallowed their whistles.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 10:40:40 AM »
Pearl was busy instructing his players to foul, and looking at them.  He wasn't looking at the ballhandler, or he would have gone ballistic.

Oh.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2019, 10:45:25 AM »

Oh.

Whatever.

Poor officiating in college basketball is tolerated, Pearl is dirty, Bennett is clean, nothing to see here until it happens to the team you love (and it will, again). 

Rant over.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2019, 10:55:20 AM »
Whatever.

Poor officiating in college basketball is tolerated, Pearl is dirty, Bennett is clean, nothing to see here until it happens to the team you love (and it will, again). 

Rant over.

The exact same officiating crew that called a foul on a three-point shot with .6 seconds remaining swallowed their whistle on a blatant and obvious double dribbled (one so blatant and obvious that neither the Auburn coaching staff or TV commentators saw it) several seconds earlier?
OK.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2019, 10:58:25 AM »
Whether or not Pearl saw it is irrelevant. The rule is clear and absolute, and the officials who were a couple feet away missed the call. As for the attempted foul...we have all seen how incredibly variable contact can be to draw a foul. Some guys get knocked to the floor with no call, while others get a call with little or no contact.

I know it's hard for people to admit Pearl's team got screwed on that sequence...but Pearl's team got screwed on that sequence.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2019, 11:01:05 AM »
Easier missed call, he was fouled before he picked it up again for the double dribble.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/GsdewRt7t_U&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/GsdewRt7t_U&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

Jay Williams properly calls out Pandora's Box

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/f4wrBBCFfY0&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/f4wrBBCFfY0&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 11:07:13 AM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2019, 11:03:27 AM »
Slight jersey grab, eh Dimer.  LOL

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2019, 11:04:45 AM »
Did Auburn player travel here seconds before?  We can play this game forever.

https://twitter.com/KyleNel21575344/status/1114727752253546496

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2019, 11:06:44 AM »
Whether or not Pearl saw it is irrelevant. The rule is clear and absolute, and the officials who were a couple feet away missed the call. As for the attempted foul...we have all seen how incredibly variable contact can be to draw a foul. Some guys get knocked to the floor with no call, while others get a call with little or no contact.

I know it's hard for people to admit Pearl's team got screwed on that sequence...but Pearl's team got screwed on that sequence.

Straw man.
I don't see anyone here saying that it wasn't a missed call. The issues is whether, as 94 claims, it was an obvious double dribble that the officials willfully ignored, or whether it was difficult to see infraction that apparently nobody in the arena noticed until it had been reviewed on video following a couple of timeouts.
Given the non-reaction by the Auburn players, Auburn bench and TV commentators, common sense dictates the latter.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2019, 11:39:17 AM »
Straw man.
I don't see anyone here saying that it wasn't a missed call. The issues is whether, as 94 claims, it was an obvious double dribble that the officials willfully ignored, or whether it was difficult to see infraction that apparently nobody in the arena noticed until it had been reviewed on video following a couple of timeouts.
Given the non-reaction by the Auburn players, Auburn bench and TV commentators, common sense dictates the latter.

I never said they willfully ignored it. I said they blew it. Sounds like you agree.

Have a nice day.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2019, 11:39:36 AM »
Tony Bennett and UVA will win the natty...  Luck, skill, experience, and officiating are all on their side!

How Breeding got employed in any postseason tournament is a travesty. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2019, 11:41:40 AM »
Slight jersey grab, eh Dimer.  LOL

A screen shot to back your argument. Cute. It was a minor grab in that he quickly released it. Any still shots of that chest slap you also said took place? Lmao

Also, unlike that infraction which is a judgment call, the double dribble was not. And for those saying coaches and players weren’t yelling, fans weren’t throwing stuff on the court and no one tried to burn the building down after the missed call, that’s fine. It’s not any of their jobs to officiate the game. It’s the ref’s jobs. It’s their job to know the rules and identify what was an obvious infraction. And they blew that call.
No Finish Line

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2019, 11:43:35 AM »

So did the Announcers.  You really are Good.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2019, 11:46:33 AM »
I never said they willfully ignored it. I said they blew it. Sounds like you agree.

Have a nice day.

Ummm ... I wrote:
The issues is whether, as 94 claims, it was an obvious double dribble that the officials willfully ignored

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2019, 11:48:50 AM »
Straw man.

Swallowed their whistle was a bad choice of word.  I didn't mean to imply they willfully ignored it.  They are just bad at their jobs. 

Fouls are judgement calls, double-dribbles are not.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2019, 11:50:01 AM »
A screen shot to back your argument. Cute. It was a minor grab in that he quickly released it. Any still shots of that chest slap you also said took place? Lmao

Also, unlike that infraction which is a judgment call, the double dribble was not. And for those saying coaches and players weren’t yelling, fans weren’t throwing stuff on the court and no one tried to burn the building down after the missed call, that’s fine. It’s not any of their jobs to officiate the game. It’s the ref’s jobs. It’s their job to know the rules and identify what was an obvious infraction. And they blew that call.

Every call is a judgment call.....it is up to the ref to make a judgment to blow his whistle and make a call.  As Jay Williams properly said, he was fouled. 

Second, did the Auburn player travel before that on the inbounds pass?  Judgment call.   All of the calls are ultimately a judgment call.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2019, 11:56:13 AM »
Ummm ... I wrote:
The issues is whether, as 94 claims, it was an obvious double dribble that the officials willfully ignored

This is 94's original post:

Welcome to the club Auburn.  You got jobbed by Breeding and his band of idiots.

Probably for the best, had Auburn won it all, the title would eventually be vacated thanks to Chuck Person & Bruce Pearl. 

Tony Bennett, like his dad, is one of the good guys.  I am pulling for UVA.

I don't see anything about the refs willfully screwing Auburn or preferring UVa. I just see an accusation of incompetence. And as 94 said just above, he had no intention of implying otherwise.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2019, 11:57:01 AM »
I asked it before, but nobody took the bait.  Did anybody here believe the defender knocked the ball away???? 

That is the ONLY explanation for not seeing a double-dribble in the open court.  There is no judgement to make here.  He PICKED up the ball with both hands and resumed dribbling.

No conspiracy here, just incompetence.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2019, 12:00:00 PM »
I asked it before, but nobody took the bait.  Did anybody here believe the defender knocked the ball away???? 

That is the ONLY explanation for not seeing a double-dribble in the open court.  There is no judgement to make here.  He PICKED up the ball with both hands and resumed dribbling.

No conspiracy here, just incompetence.

The incompetence came from the ref, in this image below, looking STRAIGHT at the play, not calling the foul.  That was the incompetence.  WELL before the double dribble.