Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Raleigh Talk Radio  (Read 38520 times)

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
Re: Raleigh Talk Radio
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2019, 09:50:41 AM »
I love this crowd that thinks this BE is such a great conference...Well, I got news for ya..it ain't the old Big East, it ain't the ACC, it ain't the Big Ten...MU took a HUGE step down when the Old Big East broke up. That's just the reality of it. They will have good years(like last year), but more often then not I believe they will be like this year. No one likes to here this BE called a "mid major", but if you look at it, when the "catholic 7" expanded...where did they go to expand?? Butler came from the A10, Xavier the A10, and Creighton from the Missouri Valley...all the definition of mid major conferences. They ain't Louisville, Syracuse, or even Notre Dame. Again, that's reality.

When the "new" Big East was formed, I thought it was a conference that for all intents and purposes, MU should roll through every year ala Memphis CUSA style. The sad reality is, they haven't...and to me that's more an indictment about where the MU program is currently, then a compliment to how "strong" this Big East is. Further proof of that is the fact that MU did better in a much stronger more powerful old Big East. Doesn't that bother anyone??

Thanks for posting Buzz, I would have thought you were too busy these days to keep trolling us.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2019, 11:41:41 AM »
Memohis rolled theu CUSA?  I must have been in a coma for thise years
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2019, 12:14:03 PM »
Memohis rolled theu CUSA?  I must have been in a coma for thise years

I mean, they went 61-1 in conference play over a 4-year span from 2006-09 once we left the league with Louisville & Cincy. I think rolling through the league is a pretty fair descriptor.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2019, 12:48:49 PM »
I love this talk about how bad the Big East is and how it is not a Power 6 conference. Just a few facts. Last year's Big 10 got 4 teams to the tournament. Just like the BE did this year. Was the Big 10 no longer considered a Power 6 conference? After all aren't they approaching 20 years without a national championship. 

And everyone wants to point out how great the ACC was this year with 3 #1 seeds and 7 teams that made the tournament. As a comparison. A non Power 5 conference had 20 percent of its teams earn a #1 seed and 60 percent of its teams make the tournament last year.  This year's ACC had 20 percent of its teams earn a #1 seed and had 48 percent of its teams make the tournament. And by the way only 10 percent of this year's BE teams had a NET ranking below 90. The glorious ACC had 40 percent of its teams.

Every conference has a down year every couple of years. The 2017-18 was the Big 10's turn. This past year it was the BE. And this decade it's been for the PAC 12.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 12:59:29 PM by dad's couch »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2019, 12:55:33 PM »
Every conference has a down year every couple of years. The 2017-18 was the Big 10's turn. This past year it was the BE. And this decade it's been for the PAC 12.

;D
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2019, 01:18:16 PM »
The bottom line is Ron, no matter what anyone else here wants to think, Coaches are not nearly as likely to stay in this Big East as they were the old Big East. Further, marquee Coaches would have easily considered taking a job in that conference, this one...not so much. You really couldn't take a step up in conference as a Coach leaving the old Big east..Unfortunately, you can in this Big East.

not sure this is true. Head Coach turnover in the NBE is pretty much the same as it was in the OBE. In the OBE on average schools had 1.8 coaches (8 seasons), while in the NBE on average schools have had 1.7 coaches (6 seasons).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2019, 01:27:30 PM »
Facts are very pesky to detractors of the Big East.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2019, 04:28:15 PM »
I love this talk about how bad the Big East is and how it is not a Power 6 conference. Just a few facts. Last year's Big 10 got 4 teams to the tournament. Just like the BE did this year. Was the Big 10 no longer considered a Power 6 conference? After all aren't they approaching 20 years without a national championship. 

And everyone wants to point out how great the ACC was this year with 3 #1 seeds and 7 teams that made the tournament. As a comparison. A non Power 5 conference had 20 percent of its teams earn a #1 seed and 60 percent of its teams make the tournament last year.  This year's ACC had 20 percent of its teams earn a #1 seed and had 48 percent of its teams make the tournament. And by the way only 10 percent of this year's BE teams had a NET ranking below 90. The glorious ACC had 40 percent of its teams.

This guy gets it.

not sure this is true. Head Coach turnover in the NBE is pretty much the same as it was in the OBE. In the OBE on average schools had 1.8 coaches (8 seasons), while in the NBE on average schools have had 1.7 coaches (6 seasons).

As does this guy.

The Big East is fine.  And it will be fine if Willard goes to VT.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Scat

• Walk-On
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2019, 05:11:09 PM »
In the long term, college football may not be the huge money maker it is now.  Risk of concussion has reduced interest at the high school level and NFL ratings are dropping. 

muguru

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2019, 05:16:57 PM »
In the long term, college football may not be the huge money maker it is now.  Risk of concussion has reduced interest at the high school level and NFL ratings are dropping.

That's because mommy's don't want little Billy playing football..they'd rather they play something like..soccer. It's the wussification of America in full effect. Also, kids these days don't want to work real hard..football you do..they'd much rather play video games.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2019, 05:23:35 PM »
That's because mommy's don't want little Billy playing football..they'd rather they play something like..soccer. It's the wussification of America in full effect. Also, kids these days don't want to work real hard..football you do..they'd much rather play video games.

There's a lot wrong with this post, but I'll focus on one thing:  there are no NCAA D1 athletes that don't work real hard.  I don't care what sport they play.    Football doesn't have a monopoly there.  You don't reach that level of success and skill without an enormous amount of hard work.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2019, 05:33:39 PM »
There's a lot wrong with this post, but I'll focus on one thing:  there are no NCAA D1 athletes that don't work real hard.  I don't care what sport they play.    Football doesn't have a monopoly there.  You don't reach that level of success and skill without an enormous amount of hard work.

I was talking about HS kids in particular.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2019, 05:52:42 PM »

I can't believe all these wussies are giving up smoking cigarettes.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muguru

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2019, 05:55:23 PM »

Me either

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2019, 06:22:56 PM »
This

Money is all about football.  MU dropped football 59 years ago. No small/private urban school has been able to start a successful D1 program since.

I would argue that MU basketball is arguably the premiere non-football school** in the country ... when you consider where they play, facilities, attendance and nearby recruiting (WI is way up in producing elite payers).

** If guru can pull the term "power 4" out his arse, I can pull "premiere non-football school" out of mine.
Dropping Football ranks as one of the three great mistakes of Marquette History.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 06:37:44 PM by Herman Cain »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2019, 06:31:16 PM »
Dropping Football is as one of the three great mistakes of Marquette History.

I think there are a few more that would go before football 🏈

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2019, 06:38:37 PM »
Overall, NFL games this season were up 5 percent compared to 2017, and averaged 15.8 million viewers across all networks
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2019, 06:40:40 PM »
Dropping Football ranks as one of the three great mistakes of Marquette History.
Tulane leaving the SEC in 1966 is the biggest college mistake ever.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

burger

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2019, 07:24:45 PM »
Come again......

Holtmann "all in" is making $7......

Buzz "all in" is now making $6.....

Got to figure in all the "perks" "summer camps" "TV shows" and more.....etc.....

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2019, 07:50:40 PM »
I dont know why...but statements like these still blow my mind.  I guess they shouldnt...its what happens when one takes too many hits to the head.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2019, 08:13:56 PM »
It's sad to all of us. We all want our team to be great every year.

As you know, MU82, Wojo knows he’s sitting on a horse bred for a Marathon when so many here want us  to be a Sprinter. His feet briefly went out of the irons last year, possibly we went a little too fast early, but he’s back in and the horse is loaded with run. We paid pretty well to PLACE this year, and it was multiple lengths back to the SHOW horse. Next year, Look for another early speed duel with FillyNova, followed by a few big middle moves from some some in the 2nd tier...and then watch us open up daylight on those in the stretch. After their experience gained in ‘19-‘20, a handicapper would say that there is some serious “bottom” in this horse, a big reserve to draw from. This conference is a good one, some years even great....but it is “open company” that we fit nicely in. And when horses fit their conditions, they win. Wojo keeps the mount until he hangs up his tack.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2019, 08:15:43 PM »
Tulane leaving the SEC in 1966 is the biggest college mistake ever.
Tulane tied first with University of Chicago decision to leave the Big Ten shortly after Jay Betwanger won the first Heisman trophy.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2019, 08:16:58 PM »
Tulane tied first with University of Chicago decision to leave the Big Ten shortly after Jay Betwanger won the first Heisman trophy.

Let's not forget Norte Dame's decision to leave the Big East.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2019, 08:18:40 PM »

I’m with you on soccer sucking. The rest of your post is fertilizer.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2019, 08:20:58 PM »

Exactly.