'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Raleigh Talk Radio  (Read 38527 times)

Ron Swanson

• Walk-On
Raleigh Talk Radio
« on: April 03, 2019, 06:44:39 PM »
Listening to "The Fan" today down here in Raleigh and they are claiming the top 3 candidates for the open Va Tech job are Willard, Wojo and Cronin......

IMO, Buzz's situation was a bizarre one, not the norm.  I would be shocked if Wojo left for Va Tech, but if it did happen, I'd have to admit that the Big East (sans Villanova) is nothing more than a stepping stone conference and Marquette is nothing more than a power 5 stepping stone job.  Can't believe the league has fallen off that far since the split.....SMH.......

Hopeful that Wojo understands the importance of consistency in a program and stays here for a long, long time.  While he has a long way to go to becoming a top coach, he has done good things at MU and I believe he will only get better.  It'd be devastating to lose him now.

CountryRoads

• All American
Re: Raleigh Talk Radio
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 06:53:06 PM »
Strike 1, strike 2, strike 3...batters out. Who is the 4th option? Those 3 coaches may be looking to move but VT is going to get a reality check very soon. Buzz was an odd duck and an outlier for taking that job.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 06:54:06 PM »
Maybe we can start a new thread on coaching departures proving there is no Power 6 and it's really a Power 4?  I haven't seen enough of those threads yet.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 07:01:08 PM »

IMO, Buzz's situation was a bizarre one, not the norm.  I would be shocked if Wojo left for Va Tech, but if it did happen, I'd have to admit that the Big East (sans Villanova) is nothing more than a stepping stone conference and Marquette is nothing more than a power 5 stepping stone job.  Can't believe the league has fallen off that far since the split.....SMH.......

::)
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Ron Swanson

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 07:17:45 PM »
Maybe we can start a new thread on coaching departures proving there is no Power 6 and it's really a Power 4?  I haven't seen enough of those threads yet.

Love clown responses like this....if you don't like the thread, don't comment on it and let it die....seems pretty simple to me.

Ron Swanson

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 07:18:14 PM »
  ::)
Awesome insight, thanks for participating

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 07:19:53 PM »
Love clown responses like this....if you don't like the thread, don't comment on it and let it die....seems pretty simple to me.

You got the response you deserved and now you’re triggered.

Maybe contribute your piece in one of the other 50 threads about the BE becoming a mid major. After all, we’re a whopping 1 year removed from 20% of our conference being a 1 seed. We’re screwed!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 07:24:55 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Ron Swanson

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 07:20:53 PM »
Strike 1, strike 2, strike 3...batters out. Who is the 4th option? Those 3 coaches may be looking to move but VT is going to get a reality check very soon. Buzz was an odd duck and an outlier for taking that job.
I could actually see Cronin leave for VT, but not Wojo or Willard.....maybe I still have too much faith in the Big East brand.

Ron Swanson

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 07:25:15 PM »
Or maybe just contribute your piece in one of the other 50 threads about the BE becoming a mid major. After all, we’re a whopping 1 year removed from 20% of our conference being a 1 seed. We’re screwed!
Never said that the Big East was a mid major.  I said "if" the reports I heard were true and one of Wojo or Willard took the job, I would have to reconsider my stance on the situation of Big East being a stepping stone.  I am terribly sorry you are frustrated with the state of the board right now, but don't take it out on me.  I was simply sharing information I heard today in the heart of ACC country.  If you can direct me to where that information was shared here previously, I would be happy to read it and apologize for wasting your precious time with another thread that you were forced to read and comment on.
triggered indeed, don't flatter yourself ;D
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 07:27:02 PM by Ron Swanson »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 07:27:58 PM »
wades

You are calling someone out for starting a thread? I like seeing folks that do not post often get involved.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 07:28:18 PM »
Two BE coaches have left in recent years (not counting the ones fired)

Holtmann left Butler for tOSU ... and has a contract with incentives that is pushing $4m/year.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/bigten/2018/02/02/chris-holtmanns-contract-ohio-state-two-payments-2-million-buyout-butler/302018002/

Mack left Xavier for Louisville ... he is also making $4m/year
https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2018/03/28/chris-mack-contract-details-louisville-basketball/467779002/

Does this mean the going rate for a BE coach is $4m/year?  A&M had to settle for the VT coach as they are not in this league.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 07:32:15 PM by Heisenberg v2.0 »
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 07:29:50 PM »
I said "if" the reports I heard were true and one of Wojo or Willard took the job, I would have to reconsider my stance on the situation of Big East being a stepping stone. 

Why are you lying?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Ron Swanson

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2019, 07:33:00 PM »
Two BE coaches have left in recent years (not counting the ones fired)

Holtmann left Butler for tOSU ... and has a contract with incentives that is push $4m/year.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/bigten/2018/02/02/chris-holtmanns-contract-ohio-state-two-payments-2-million-buyout-butler/302018002/

Mack left Xavier for Louisville ... he is also making $4m/year
https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2018/03/28/chris-mack-contract-details-louisville-basketball/467779002/

Does this mean the going rate for a BE coach is $4m/year?  A&M had to settle for the VT coach as they are not in this league.
Thanks for posting this.  Can/will Va Tech be willing to pay $4m/year for a Wojo or Willard?  Seems a stretch that they would pay that much.  Also believe MU would be willing to match any offer Va Tech would come with to keep him, as I believe the BOT is very comfortable with Wojo running the program for years to come.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2019, 07:35:15 PM »
You got the response you deserved and now you’re triggered.

Maybe contribute your piece in one of the other 50 threads about the BE becoming a mid major. After all, we’re a whopping 1 year removed from 20% of our conference being a 1 seed. We’re screwed!

I love this crowd that thinks this BE is such a great conference...Well, I got news for ya..it ain't the old Big East, it ain't the ACC, it ain't the Big Ten...MU took a HUGE step down when the Old Big East broke up. That's just the reality of it. They will have good years(like last year), but more often then not I believe they will be like this year. No one likes to here this BE called a "mid major", but if you look at it, when the "catholic 7" expanded...where did they go to expand?? Butler came from the A10, Xavier the A10, and Creighton from the Missouri Valley...all the definition of mid major conferences. They ain't Louisville, Syracuse, or even Notre Dame. Again, that's reality.

When the "new" Big East was formed, I thought it was a conference that for all intents and purposes, MU should roll through every year ala Memphis CUSA style. The sad reality is, they haven't...and to me that's more an indictment about where the MU program is currently, then a compliment to how "strong" this Big East is. Further proof of that is the fact that MU did better in a much stronger more powerful old Big East. Doesn't that bother anyone??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2019, 07:45:05 PM »
Big East is more than fine, thanks to FOX Sports. The old league is a long time ago now. Moving on to seven years ago. Pitt is trash and their attendance has tanked by 75%. Well, enjoy life in the ACC/ESPN money. UConn has fallen of the planet by not being in the Big East as well. Funny how Seton Hall and Providence has come to life!
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2019, 07:45:24 PM »
I love this crowd that thinks this BE is such a great conference...Well, I got news for ya..it ain't the old Big East, it ain't the ACC, it ain't the Big Ten...MU took a HUGE step down when the Old Big East broke up. That's just the reality of it. They will have good years(like last year), but more often then not I believe they will be like this year. No one likes to here this BE called a "mid major", but if you look at it, when the "catholic 7" expanded...where did they go to expand?? Butler came from the A10, Xavier the A10, and Creighton from the Missouri Valley...all the definition of mid major conferences. They ain't Louisville, Syracuse, or even Notre Dame. Again, that's reality.

When the "new" Big East was formed, I thought it was a conference that for all intents and purposes, MU should roll through every year ala Memphis CUSA style. The sad reality is, they haven't...and to me that's more an indictment about where the MU program is currently, then a compliment to how "strong" this Big East is. Further proof of that is the fact that MU did better in a much stronger more powerful old Big East. Doesn't that bother anyone??

Wrong on so many levels

The new BE is not interested in schools with Football.  Uconn wants in and they are not welcome because the BE doesn't want the baggage football brings.

And how about those "mid-majors" they took.

Creighton - Their coach (McDermott) dumped Iowa State (a "power 4" school) for Creighton.  They had a National Player of the Year in their time in the BE and a perennial tournament team.

Xavier - They were a 1 seed just a year ago.  Please name all the mid-majors that have been a one seed?

Butler - four tourney trips, S16.

Most of the "power 4" schools have done worse than these schools since they were added to the new BE.  (Incidentally, this made up "power 4" term.  Does this mean AZ and UCLA are now mid-majors?)

If you want to bash the new BE, then bash Georgetown.  When the conference was formed five years ago GU was supposed to be the marquee team.  They have been a middle of the pack, watching the tourney at home, team.  Hopefully, Ewing can turn this around.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 07:47:52 PM by Heisenberg v2.0 »
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2019, 07:46:34 PM »

This is a stupid post through and through. You've once said you'd prefer to be a Gonzaga and owning a conference but now you're complaining about the conference? And insinuating its midmajor when all advanced stats say it's top 3 or 4?

Xavier was a big time program when we got them and that A10 had some years finishing above some power conferences. It was not today's A10. Butler had a ton of recent success and the hottest coach in the country (but he left before they joined) Creighton I'll give you.

Finally if you expected us to roll through the conference when Georgetown and Nova and X were in it you were smoking some crazy stuff. I expected us to always be top 3 but to roll through it is major tunnel vision
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2019, 07:50:03 PM »
If you want to bash the new BE, then bash Georgetown.  When the conference was formed five years ago GU was supposed to be the marquee team.  They have been a middle of the pack, watching the tourney at home, team.  Hopefully, Ewing can turn this around.

This but we bare some blame as well though ours was less of a choice than JT3 just phoning it in
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2019, 07:53:14 PM »
Then it is Willard and Cronin. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2019, 08:00:42 PM »
Wrong on so many levels

The new BE is not interested in schools with Football.  Uconn wants in and they are not welcome because the BE doesn't want the baggage football brings.

And how about those "mid-majors" they took.

Creighton - Their coach (McDermott) dumped Iowa State (a "power 4" school) for Creighton.  They had a National Player of the Year in their time in the BE and a perennial tournament team.

Xavier - They were a 1 seed just a year ago.  Please name all the mid-majors that have been a one seed?

Butler - four tourney trips, S16.

Most of the "power 4" schools have done worse than these schools since they were added to the new BE.  (Incidentally, this made up "power 4" term.  Does this mean AZ and UCLA are now mid-majors?)

I can tell you mid majors that have been 1 seeds...Gonzaga, more than once. And thank you for making my point, that I think so many are missing...those "mid majors" that the conference added, have been FAR more successful in this BE then MU has been. That should NEVER EVER EVER happen. And the fact that you think Georgetown was supposed to be the Marquee program, just says you don't think that highly of MU's program..given where MU was in the Old BE, always at the top half of conference, won a title etc, they SHOULD be the marquee team in this league...the fact that they aren't..don't you think that speaks volumes as to where MU is as a program currently??

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2019, 08:03:37 PM »
Since the current Big East took shape before the 2013-14 season ...

++ The conference has had 4, 6, 5, 7, 6 and 4 teams get NCAA tourney bids. That's an average of 5.3 per year -- on average, more than half of the league has qualified for the NCAA tournament.

++ The conference has had four #1 seeds, two #2 seeds, one #3 seed, two #4 seeds, one #5 seed and six #6 seeds. That's an average of one top-2 seed every year, and an average of nearly three "quality" seeds per year.

++ The conference has produced two National Champions, two National Player of the Year winners, numerous All-Americans and several first-round draft picks.

++ The conference scored one of the best TV contracts out there and has its tournament at the World's Most Famous Arena. When the Big Ten tried to infringe on their turf, they ended up slinking away with their tail between their legs, vowing, "Never again."

Yeah ... what a shyte-show the Big East is.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 08:08:16 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muguru

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2019, 08:04:38 PM »
This is a stupid post through and through. You've once said you'd prefer to be a Gonzaga and owning a conference but now you're complaining about the conference? And insinuating its midmajor when all advanced stats say it's top 3 or 4?

Xavier was a big time program when we got them and that A10 had some years finishing above some power conferences. It was not today's A10. Butler had a ton of recent success and the hottest coach in the country (but he left before they joined) Creighton I'll give you.

Finally if you expected us to roll through the conference when Georgetown and Nova and X were in it you were smoking some crazy stuff. I expected us to always be top 3 but to roll through it is major tunnel vision

So...you say the A10 then wasn't today's A10..Okay..I give you that, but then you cannot in any way, shape or form think this new BE is anything close to what the OLD BE was.

I did expect MU to roll through it...because I happened to think highly of MU as a program at that time...afterall, they finished top half of the best conference ever assembled more often than not, had more success in it than Georgetown and Nova did, and even won a BE title. The fact that they had MORE success in a conference like that, then in this current iteration of the BE, is very telling as to where MU is as a program currently, don't you think?? No other way to look at it.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2019, 08:09:35 PM »

++ The conference has had 4, 6, 5, 7, 6 and 4 teams get NCAA tourney bids. That's an average of 5.3 per year -- on average, more than half of the league has qualified for the NCAA tournament.

++ The conference has had four #1 seeds, two #2 seeds, one #3 seed, two #4 seeds, one #5 seed and six #6 seeds. That's an average of one two-2 seed every year, and an average of nearly three "quality" seeds per year.

++ The conference has produced two National Champions, two National Player of the Year winners, numerous All-Americans and several first-round draft picks.

++ The conference scored one of the best TV contracts out there and has its tournament at the World's Most Famous Arena. When the Big Ten tried to infringe on their turf, they ended up slinking away with their tail between their legs, vowing, "Never again."

Alright, you got me MU82, I give up...you're right, it is HEAD AND shoulders above the Old Big East, you just proved it. Well done. Speaking of the Old Big east(the best conference ever assembled), don't you find it..strange/sad, that MU did better year in and year out in THAT conference than this current conference?? If you don't find that sad..I don't even know what to say...I really don't.

The MU program is a bigger problem then the conference is...the mere fact that for the most part they have struggled to find their footing in this conference...when it wasn't a problem in a MUCH stronger conference..is telling, don't you think?? Of course you don't think so...who am I kidding, NOTHING MU related is a problem to you, the Coach is just fine, the program is just fine, everything is fine, right??
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 08:13:02 PM by muguru »

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2019, 08:11:51 PM »

This wins dumbest post of the year. Congratulations!

Ron Swanson

• Walk-On
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2019, 08:13:54 PM »

++ The conference has had four #1 seeds, two #2 seeds, one #3 seed, two #4 seeds, one #5 seed and six #6 seeds. That's an average of one two-2 seed every year, and an average of nearly three "quality" seeds per year.

After reading some of the responses I think there are two separate arguments here.  I do not believe the Big East Conference is a mid major and your evidence proves exactly that, the success speaks for itself.  The question I have is if the Big East Coaches will continue to be plucked by the ACC due to, as stated before, the contracts that were given to Mack, Holtmann, Buzz (who was a different situation) and potentially Wojo or Willard?  If this trend continues can the Big East continue its' success as a conference with this type of turnover?

feedback