[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: UCLA  (Read 50227 times)

MuMark

• All American
Re: UCLA
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2019, 07:23:53 PM »
Philadelphia is home for Wright......only place he'd leave Nova for is the NBA.....so far he hasn't shown interest in jumping there .....at least not yet.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2019, 08:21:57 PM »
shame he's never shown us a handful of top 100 recruits yet. Sandy, Henry, Haanif, Markus, Sam, Brendan, Joey, Cain ( not unanimous but still according to 247 he was no 100)

You need to recruit 4 really good players, you have one right now, on 12 players, let’s see how he closes. A good program has to keep growing, Crean had trouble doing that, hopefully Wojo can keep the run going.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2019, 08:35:17 PM »
nm

« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 08:54:24 PM by MuMark »

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2019, 08:45:03 PM »
1.3M will get you get you something nice if you are willing to drive.  By UCLA’s campus, it will be average at best.  It’s why people are fleeing the state in droves.

Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2019, 08:52:12 PM »
lol...chalking up UVA's colossal failure last year to bad luck is hilarious.

Exactly. They lost by freakin' 20 to a 16. Next thing you know Chico will be saying it was a "bad match up", when in actuality it was the biggest head scratcher in the history of the tournament - by a long, long shot.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2019, 09:08:14 PM »
Exactly. They lost by freakin' 20 to a 16. Next thing you know Chico will be saying it was a "bad match up", when in actuality it was the biggest head scratcher in the history of the tournament - by a long, long shot.
It looked like a tall athletic strong ACC team with nba guys vs a high school varsity team yet they still got smoked. Truly bizzare

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2019, 09:08:29 PM »
This came up in a previous thread, I think based off of the radio show where Coach K called in.  Based on that conversation, I think that there are certainly reasons why Wojo would only seriously consider Duke and a few other programs.

1. He clearly adores Coach K, and I think Coach K has provided a pretty good model of how to be successful--stick with one place and develop excellence there.
2. Coach K clearly admired Marquette, and saw some of the same positives that Duke had at Marquette.  Coach K made some comments that Wojo had received previous HC offers, but that Marquette was the first that he really thought was the right opportunity and fit for Wojo.
3. Look where a lot of Coach K's assistants have taken jobs at--Notre Dame, Stanford, Northwestern, Seton Hall, Harvard.  They are mostly private schools, and most don't have traditionally dominant football programs; not dissimilar to Duke, or Marquette for that matter.
4. Tradition also seems to matter to both Coach K and Wojo, and Marquette was attractive for that reason.
5. Hand-in-hand with #4 is a good track record of fan support--I think with the rebuilding this is something that is still coming back, but the ability to fill at 17,000 person arena counts for something. 
6. Values matter.  Family matters. 

All told, after hearing that interview I felt it is much more likely that as long as things are going well at MU there are only a few programs that Wojo might bolt for, focusing mostly on prestigious private schools with strong basketball traditions and good support from the administration and community.  Beyond Duke, there are only a few places that really tick off those boxes. 

Now, if the situation here sours, or he feels like he has hit a ceiling, then maybe he'll start getting anxious.  But, as long as he feels like he can keep bringing in top talent and has good support to run his program, I think he'll stick around for a while--until Duke (or maybe a handful of other places) calls.

This +1000

The only thing I would add is that all of the ex-Duke assistants you mentioned have done what K did: stayed in one place for a long time and built a program.  If Wojo learned the same lessons from K as Brey and others did, he wants to be here for a loooonnng time.

Mike Brey, Notre Dame 19 years
Johnny Dawkins, Stanford 8 years (fired, now at UCF)
Tommy Amaker, Seton Hall 4 years, Michigan 7 years (fired), Harvard 12 years
Chris Collins, Northwestern 6 years

None of those guys left their programs willingly except Dawkins at Seton Hall.  They are all focused on long term success in one place.

Wojo is not going to UCLA

« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 09:24:26 PM by SaveOD238 »

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2019, 09:15:31 PM »
Jay Wright is already established has one of the nest college coaches out there. Going to the nba would hurt is legacy in my eyes. He has a chance to go down as one of the best college b ball coaches ever. He could be the next coach k developing the next "Duke". The nick saban of college basketball etc.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2019, 09:18:00 PM »
Based on MUs coaching history, we are a stepping stone. Or at least not yet a destination job.

And that's okay.

And every one of them (with maybe the exception being Buzz...jury still out) has seen dormant, brown-er grass, and their careers took a step down. All our coaches showed good judgment in pursuing the MU job, and relatively bad judgment in leaving it.

Wojo just may be different. Or not. Based on MUs coaching history, we will be more than fine. Wojo is about as close to a perfect-fit-to-institution as it gets. I think both parties recognize it.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2019, 09:34:06 PM »
I cannot see Wojo being interested in the UCLA job if he intends to or expects to be given the Duke job.  Coach K is good for another 5 years.  Going to UCLA for such a short term makes zero sense. Especially given the success that he will most assuredly enjoy the next few years at MU
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2019, 09:50:03 PM »

Nope, they just got beat.  Just like DePaul beat Buzz’s team, just like Crean’s teams lost to some opponents they shouldn’t have.  It happens in 1 game and advance situations. This isn’t best of 7, or even best of 3.  Mercer beating Duke....could play 100 times and Duke wins 97 of them, but all it takes is one.

Not sure why this is hard for you to this day to process.  Anything can happen in the NCAA tournament...anything...the best team doesn’t always win.  You think if UVA played UMBC 10 times they wouldn’t win 9 of them?  Your gambling friends will say that. KenPom will say that, every expert will say that, but it doesn’t prevent it from still being a possibility.

Nothing to do with bad luck, bad matchup...sometimes a team doesn’t play well.  Pretty simple.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2019, 09:51:21 PM »
And every one of them (with maybe the exception being Buzz...jury still out) has seen dormant, brown-er grass, and their careers took a step down. All our coaches showed good judgment in pursuing the MU job, and relatively bad judgment in leaving it.

Wojo just may be different. Or not. Based on MUs coaching history, we will be more than fine. Wojo is about as close to a perfect-fit-to-institution as it gets. I think both parties recognize it.

It is there drive to win a national title, which they didn’t believe was possible at MU but possible elsewhere. That’s typically the situation. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2019, 09:59:03 PM »
It looked like a tall athletic strong ACC team with nba guys vs a high school varsity team yet they still got smoked. Truly bizzare

Because that can happen in any one game scenario.  We lost to a 1-17 DePaul team...we were their 1 win.  It happens.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2019, 10:03:09 PM »
Right now - and probably for the next 10 years - MU is a better program in a better position and in a better conference than UCLA.

Plus, I've read that UCLA flies commercial for recruiting and as a team.  Something about being employees of the People's Republic of California. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2019, 10:04:34 PM »
Right now - and probably for the next 10 years - MU is a better program in a better position and in a better conference than UCLA.

Plus, I've read that UCLA flies commercial for recruiting and as a team.  Something about being employees of the People's Republic of California.

They fly charter now for most, but not all. 

A lot can happen in 10 years, I would call that forecast a big stretch.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 08:43:50 AM by Cheeks »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2019, 10:11:27 PM »
Wojo will get nice raise and extension after this season.

Of course, that guarantees Marquette nothing. He could leave 2 hours after he signs the extension, but it usually does keep a coach around for awhile, and tells recruits "Wojo's staying."

Assuming Jay Wright loves it at Nova, he has absolutely no reason to ever leave. Wojo could find the same life-long love at Marquette, especially if he wins a national title here.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2019, 11:49:36 PM »
Because that can happen in any one game scenario.  We lost to a 1-17 DePaul team...we were their 1 win.  It happens.

Thing is, it’s happened only one time in history in that scenario of seeding

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2019, 11:57:54 PM »
Thing is, it’s happened only one time in history in that scenario of seeding

Less than a year ago.  A 2 has beaten a 15 several times, a 3 over a 14 even more.  So on and so forth.  Anything can happen in a 1 game situation.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2019, 12:01:13 AM »
Less than a year ago.  A 2 has beaten a 15 several times, a 3 over a 14 even more.  So on and so forth.  Anything can happen in a 1 game situation.

You must be hard headed. As I stated it’s happened one time in history in a 1v16 situation. So yea anything could happen in a 1 game situation, 1 time in over 100 tries.

You’ve had a relentless day, it’s almost impressive

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2019, 02:18:10 AM »
WOJO just needs to ask Crean.....

These days .....Crean says.....Should not have left Marquette......Because the grass is not greener on the other side.....

First time he has a team that struggles......He will looking at the Stars on the Hollywood walk of Fame....

Same deal as Indiana.....Just warmer and sunnier......

This is either Dodds or Mazos

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2019, 03:28:54 AM »
This is either Dodds or Mazos

What....makes....you....so....sure....about....
That....
?....

tower912

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2019, 05:50:24 AM »
Burger is vikiingsrlosers.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2019, 06:57:08 AM »
Wojo is getting a raise, its a #DoneDeal

I'm not going to project what Wojo does because people are, well, people and do their own thing that may not be predictable (see Williams, Brent). I think the UCLA job is currently a low level job then MU right now simply because there is a toxic mix of win now mentality combined with significant headwinds in the form of negative perception of PAC12, media exposure, and funding. If Wojo is keeping his eye on the Duke prize, that doesn't feel like a logical move to make, especially when you factor in that next years team, assuming no major changes, will be better than this years team. I'd guess the clock on Coach K is the next 4-7 years.....not sure you move to LA to take on that monster rebuild when in 4 years Duke may come looking.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2019, 07:16:35 AM »
Wojo is getting a raise, its a #DoneDeal

I'm not going to project what Wojo does because people are, well, people and do their own thing that may not be predictable (see Williams, Brent). I think the UCLA job is currently a low level job then MU right now simply because there is a toxic mix of win now mentality combined with significant headwinds in the form of negative perception of PAC12, media exposure, and funding. If Wojo is keeping his eye on the Duke prize, that doesn't feel like a logical move to make, especially when you factor in that next years team, assuming no major changes, will be better than this years team. I'd guess the clock on Coach K is the next 4-7 years.....not sure you move to LA to take on that monster rebuild when in 4 years Duke may come looking.

He's also totally in sync with Bill and Mike.  As others have said, UCLA clickbait.  They are going to struggle to find a quality replacement.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2019, 07:21:08 AM »
He's also totally in sync with Bill and Mike.  As others have said, UCLA clickbait.  They are going to struggle to find a quality replacement.

Correct, regardless of how we got here or the process.....the fact that the top of the org chart is a relatively well oiled machine as opposed to the raging $hit$how it's been in the past has to people with confidence and we are starting to see that manifest itself on the court.

Have to say, I haven't been this confident in the direction of the program in like 10 years.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

feedback