collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette Grad Dies Volunteering At Olympics  (Read 5360 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Marquette Grad Dies Volunteering At Olympics
« on: August 14, 2008, 10:23:12 AM »
http://www.rrstar.com/communities/x1481396245/Boylan-graduate-dies-in-China-while-volunteering-at-Olympics

A 2001 Boylan High School graduate died last week in Beijing, where she was working as a volunteer for the 2008 Summer Olympics.

Ann DeWaters will be buried in the United States, said Rich Carter, spokesman for U.S. Rep. Don Manzullo, R-Egan. The congressman’s office — where DeWaters once worked as an intern — has been working with the U.S. State Department and the Chinese Embassy to get DeWaters’ body returned to the United States. DeWaters fell through an open manhole in the city on Aug. 4 and died from the injuries she sustained.

“It is a tragic accident,” Carter said.

After graduating from Boylan, DeWaters attended Marquette University in Milwaukee. After college she worked as an AmeriCorps member and worked with Habitat for Humanity International’s Youth United program from September 2007 until late July 2008. Funeral arrangements are pending.

🏀

• All American
Re: Marquette Grad Dies Volunteering At Olympics
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 10:47:33 AM »
Got to be careful of open manholes, some 50,000 or something were stolen before China starting locking them down prior to the Olympics.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 11:46:51 AM by marqptm »

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 10:57:11 AM »
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."

-Mel Brooks

Of course, I'll also say that this is a real tragedy, and I can't imagine the heartbreak her family must be suffering. 

edit:  So people don't think I'm a callous prick
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 11:06:38 AM by Henry Sugar »
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 11:36:06 AM »
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."

-Mel Brooks

Wow, Henry, you're a callous prick.

Of course, I'll also say that this is a real tragedy, and I can't imagine the heartbreak her family must be suffering. 

edit:  So people don't think I'm a callous prick

Never mind.

Thoughts and prayers to the family.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 12:16:06 PM »
nm
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 10:11:34 AM by ZiggysFryBoy »

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 01:36:07 PM »
There's really  nothing funny about this entire thread.
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 12:15:42 AM »
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/iteam&id=6326438

The ABC affiliate in Chicago did an investigative report on their newscast on this incident.  VERY bizzare details regarding the possibility of an attempted cover-up by the Chinese government, the silence of the non-profit group, and the inaction of the US State Department in investigating this situation.  I wouldn't be shocked if this starts hitting the national news in the next couple days...

On a more personal note, Ann was in my graduating class at MU (2005), but I had only met her casually a few times, as she dated a friend of a friend of mine for about 2 years.  From what I do remember though, she was very involved on campus in the Greek community and other student organizations, and was generally well liked.  A true loss for the Marquette community  :(

The General has taken on a new command.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 09:54:14 AM »
I just read an article on the Rockford newspaper website and came here to post it.  I must say it made my stomach turn (and to be honest, fists/teeth clench) that anyone would find the slightest bit of humor this.

I never met Ann, but as a graduate of the same high school and college as her (although several years ahead of her), I feel a connection to her.

She, her family and her friends are in my prayers.  Her visitation is today with funeral tomorrow in Chicago.

http://www.rrstar.com/communities/x275050485/Funeral-arrangements-set-for-Boylan-grad-who-died-in-Beijing

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 10:37:18 AM »
v

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 09:52:00 PM »
This thread was reported to the mod as someone thought the responses were disrespectful to the family.  Perhaps things have been edited since, but other than Henry being a callous prick (I too often use humor to lighten the situation), I don't see anything here that is over the line.

FWIW - PTM wasn't just being funny either, if you read the story the general linked...well...here's the details...

Manhole cover thefts in China are a deadly public safety problem; 24,000 covers were stolen from Beijing streets in 2004, according to official news agency reports. Most were sold to scrap metal dealers trying to meet increased demand during the Olympic building boom.

This summer, Chinese officials ordered crews to begin bolting down the city's 840,000 sewer covers to prevent thievery and stop people from falling in and dying. It wasn't soon enough for DeWaters.
{snip}
Among all of the Beijing Olympic stats, there are a few you won't hear: 47 people died falling into open Chinese manholes and 10,000 were injured in one year alone - 2006. DeWaters may be proof that the problem is far from solved.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/iteam&id=6326438

Anyhow - thoughts go to the family of DeWaters.