[May 10, 2024, 09:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 10, 2024, 08:12:15 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MUbiz
[May 10, 2024, 03:33:49 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by LloydsLegs
[May 10, 2024, 03:08:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Gilbert Arenas not a fan of Milwaukee  (Read 5281 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Gilbert Arenas not a fan of Milwaukee
« on: July 15, 2008, 03:42:42 PM »
From his latest blog:

Richard Jefferson going to Milwaukee …. HAHAHA! Oh man, now that is funny. When I heard that, I started laughing. Oh man, did I start laughing. You know why? Because every player hates Milwaukee. Nobody wants to live in Milwaukee. I’m sorry, Milwaukee, to come down hard on you, but no one in the NBA wants to play in Milwaukee. From him going from New Jersey, actually from New York (because he lives in New York), from New York to Milwaukee is like going … let’s just say it’s not going to sit well with you. That was a funny one when I heard that one. I know Yi is happy though.

http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5700017915

🏀

• All American
Re: Gilbert Arenas not a fan of Milwaukee
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 03:54:05 PM »
Cue Homer Simpson: TAKE THAT MILWAUKEE!

chapman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 04:25:40 PM »
What a valuable opinion, since Gilbert Arenas is held in such high regard. 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 04:32:21 PM »
Cue Homer Simpson: TAKE THAT MILWAUKEE!

It's "In your face Milwaukee!"

Coach Norman Dale

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 04:55:18 PM »
I can see how players may not place Milwaukee on the top of their lists, esp. if they have never been there beyond road trips, but I will be curious to see how players, esp. free agents, react to offers to play in Oklahoma City in the coming years. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 05:00:59 PM »
It's "In your face Milwaukee!"

Damn. Apologies.

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 05:18:44 PM »
I'd be interested to hear actual reasons why NBA players don't want to live here.  Aside from a perceived lack of nightclubs I honestly can't figure it out.  You can live like a king, and the general population doesn't bother you unless you want to make yourself the center of attention (like when Sprewell hangs out at Eve). 

Case in point: When he still played here, I saw Ruben Patterson at Ma Fischer's at 2 am on a weekend night eating soup by himself.  The dude was making millions and I swear I was the only one in the whole place who even knew who he was.  I bet players in other cities would kill for that kind of anonymity. 

« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 05:39:07 PM by Wareagle »

MUViking

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 05:30:22 PM »
I'd be interested to hear actual reasons why NBA players don't want to live here.  Aside from perceived lack of nightclubs I honestly can't figure it out.  You can live like a king, and the general population doesn't bother you unless you want to make yourself the center of attention (like when Sprewell hangs out at Eve). 

Case in point: When he still played here, I saw Ruben Patterson at Ma Fischer's at 2 am on a weekend night eating soup by himself.  The dude was making millions and I swear I was the only one in the whole place who even knew who he was.  I bet players in other cities would kill for that kind of anonymity. 

Well said.  People who bash Milwaukee haven't spent much time seeing what the city has to offer.  It always amazes me that it gets such a bad rap with NBA players when places like Cleveland and Sacramento are also NBA cities.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 06:52:15 PM »

Well said.  People who bash Milwaukee haven't spent much time seeing what the city has to offer.  It always amazes me that it gets such a bad rap with NBA players when places like Cleveland and Sacramento are also NBA cities.

Sacramento might get the edge due to weather.  Cleveland and Milwaukee are very similar, having lived in both cities for years.  I think a lot of it has to do with the lifestyle, the lack of endorsements, etc that many of these cities aren't able to generate.  Plus the Bucks are so far down the list in Wisconsin that they are an afterthought to the highest degree.  Many of these guys want to be the MAN and want to be recognized at 2:00am (many don't as you also acknowledge). 

Milwaukee is an acquired taste.  My wife loves visiting, would never want to live there again.  I could do it again.  The previous Assistant AD who was also from California, still dislikes it.   How many MU students decide to move back and don't stay in Wisconsin?

I'm not ranting on the city, I like it a lot but it is one of those cities that doesn't appeal to large number of the population as some other cities (i.e. San Diego, Dallas, etc might)

harryp

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 07:48:53 PM »
Given the hobbies for NBA players on the road (like making babies), it's probably the weather, the lack of strip clubs, groupies and video games.  Or maybe it's the absence of places like the Chicago Art Institute, new Picasso Building, Guggenheim, Carnegie Hall or the Metropolitan Opera.  Or maybe, because of the varied interest of such a large group -- all of the above.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 02:05:48 PM »
Sacramento might get the edge due to weather.  Cleveland and Milwaukee are very similar, having lived in both cities for years.  I think a lot of it has to do with the lifestyle, the lack of endorsements, etc that many of these cities aren't able to generate.  Plus the Bucks are so far down the list in Wisconsin that they are an afterthought to the highest degree.  Many of these guys want to be the MAN and want to be recognized at 2:00am (many don't as you also acknowledge). 

Milwaukee is an acquired taste.  My wife loves visiting, would never want to live there again.  I could do it again.  The previous Assistant AD who was also from California, still dislikes it.   How many MU students decide to move back and don't stay in Wisconsin?

I'm not ranting on the city, I like it a lot but it is one of those cities that doesn't appeal to large number of the population as some other cities (i.e. San Diego, Dallas, etc might)

the Bucks are so far down the list because they are an awful franchise with a terrible owner.  and by god, the public knows it.

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 12:42:39 PM »
Cmon' HARDS

Ok I'm an east coaster who went to Marquette and now is stranded in Madison. you can't honestly say that MIlwaukee is that desirable to young Millionaires. I would argue if you are white middle class with great family value and a love for the season then MIlwaukee is awesome. ITs a great place to start a career in the business world and to receive a well rounded education. HOWEVER, if you are a rich 20 something year old, there isn't that "club" scene, people care more about the Badgers and Marquette then the Bucks. The city also does not have a fair share of affluent African American Suburbs like many of the other cities mentioned. and most of all Who the hell wasn't to be in Milwaukee (or Minnesota for that matter) in the middle of Winter I woudl take OKC anytime.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

mviale

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 10:07:14 AM »
He obviously needs to grow up.  I live in the SF bay area and I still find Milwaukee charming - the Lake area is beautiful. reasonably good schools and a great college - marquette.  Oh and close to Chicago.

You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

feedback