collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tiger Woods - Dubai  (Read 5281 times)

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Tiger Woods - Dubai
« on: February 03, 2008, 10:13:41 AM »
As I watch Tiger about to win another tournament, what do you think they pay him to get him to play? $1million? $3million? $5million? Given the amount of money floating around over there, I am assuming it is closer to the upper end of that range, if not more.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
Re: Tiger Woods - Dubai
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 10:28:23 AM »
My friends and I were discussing this the other day. We are fairly certain it $5 Million on the low end.
But I like to throw handfuls...

State

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 11:01:19 AM »
Another Sunday...another red shirt...another fist-pumping-25-foot-meandering finishing-putt on 18 to seal the victory after shooting a come from behind 65....
 ( a 31 back 9????  Unreal!!!)

different day--same story...

Greatest Professional athlete of all time??? 

In my book--there isn't even a close second...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 10:21:49 PM »
Another Sunday...another red shirt...another fist-pumping-25-foot-meandering finishing-putt on 18 to seal the victory after shooting a come from behind 65....

Greatest individual athlete...yes.  I'd hate to compare to a team athlete because a team athlete must rely on his teammates for ultimate greatness.  For tennis players and golfers, it's just them.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 05:46:59 PM »

Eventually he will probably go down as one of the best ever, but right now he isn't even the best golfer of all time.  If he retired today he would not go down as better than Jack.  He will be considered better than Nicklaus once he passes him in major wins (prolly in 2010). 

I just don' think there is a real easy way to separate the elite athletes of all time

Tiger
Nicklaus
Jordan
Wilt
Babe
Bjorg
Federer
Ali
Jim Brown
Don Hutson
...etc

harryp

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 05:57:07 PM »
Few people today remember the incompatable Don Hutson (the magic man from alabam).  My dad took me to a game as a kid, and he set a record for most points in a quarter (in the upper 20's) which I think still stands.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 09:15:47 AM »

Eventually he will probably go down as one of the best ever, but right now he isn't even the best golfer of all time.  If he retired today he would not go down as better than Jack. 

He would in my book. Jack obviously has longevity on his side, that only time can settle as you suggest, but in terms of who is better, its Tiger. If Tiger were to be abducted by aliens today and not be able to play in any more tournaments,  I would consider him the best golfer of all time - as I think most people would.

coach85

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 09:24:40 AM »
Not sure about this year but last year Tiger received 2 million for his appearance fee there.  This year his "courtesy car" was a Lamborghini.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 10:07:55 AM »

Eventually he will probably go down as one of the best ever, but right now he isn't even the best golfer of all time.  If he retired today he would not go down as better than Jack. 

He would in my book. Jack obviously has longevity on his side, that only time can settle as you suggest, but in terms of who is better, its Tiger. If Tiger were to be abducted by aliens today and not be able to play in any more tournaments,  I would consider him the best golfer of all time - as I think most people would.

Agree to disagree I guess.  If Tiger Woods never played another tournament, I don't see how he could possibly go down as being better than Jack.  Jack would have more wins (73) and majors (18) as compared to Tiger (62, 13).  In addition, throw in all of Jack's second place major finishes, something close to around 20 to about 4 for Tiger, and I think the scales tip to Jack.  I believe most golf enthusiasts would agree with me.  Tiger is on the cusp of passing Nicklaus (and will prolly do so in the next 3-5 years) but he isn't quite there yet.  Not saying you are doing this Navin, but I think a lot of people generally overrate whoever is playing today (if you could possibly overrate Tiger) and underrate guys from years gone by (I think some people forget how good Nicklaus was in his prime).  Of course, if TW wins the GS this year (highly unlikely, but it's Tiger so you never know) then I would undoubtedly have to call him the GOAT.

That being said, I think TW is definitely going to pass him.  I think the most telling statistic between the two right now is career winning percentage.  Tiger is at 28.7% while Nicklaus was at 19.8% (through 1980, his last big year).

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 10:10:47 AM »
Also, his appearance fee was $3 million this year.

http://aol.golfserv.com/gdc/news/article.asp?id=37559&tour=tiger

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 09:16:12 AM »
Not sure how many saw it yesterday, but 3 down with 5 to play...The legend continues.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 02:58:23 PM »
Tiger is up there, obviously

Pele' has to be in the conversation, the man was a genius with his feet
Jordan
Nicklaus
Sampras
Federer, give him a few more years

but I think a few more years like Tiger is having, and he will be, no doubt.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2