collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 1-28-86  (Read 5255 times)

tower912

• All American
1-28-86
« on: January 28, 2016, 10:03:46 AM »
Challenger exploded.    Sophomore year, moving from Carpenter Tower 901 to Tower 912 after roommate issues.   Watching the coverage while moving my stuff and then going off to a J-class to discuss how we would have covered it/written it.       A sad day.    May those heroes rest in peace.  30 years have flown. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: 1-28-86
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 10:05:57 AM »
Challenger exploded.    Sophomore year, moving from Carpenter Tower 901 to Tower 912 after roommate issues.   Watching the coverage while moving my stuff and then going off to a J-class to discuss how we would have covered it/written it.       A sad day.    May those heroes rest in peace.  30 years have flown.

Junior year of high school...heading into math class.  We were excused to go down to the library and watch the news coverage.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 10:19:46 AM »
Assuming I was waddling around my parent's second house.

No recollection of the event.

Glad I could contribute.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 10:20:14 AM »
I was in 3rd grade at a small Catholic school.  Because of the teacher on board, the Challenger Mission was tied to our science unit, (there was a contest to name the shuttle, interviews with Christa McAuliffe in Junior Scholastic, etc).  I don't remember how, but we were able to watch the launch live in the library.  Chicago and the suburbs went from the hysteria of the '85 Bears championship to mourning within two days.

MU31

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 10:23:40 AM »
Freshman living at McCormick.  Returning from class, maybe 20-30 people were in McCormick's lobby watching the launch on the TV there, so I stopped to watch as well. It was hard to believe what had happened at the time.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 10:28:21 AM »
I was in 3rd grade at a small Catholic school.  Because of the teacher on board, the Challenger Mission was tied to our science unit, (there was a contest to name the shuttle, interviews with Christa McAuliffe in Junior Scholastic, etc).  I don't remember how, but we were able to watch the launch live in the library.  Chicago and the suburbs went from the hysteria of the '85 Bears championship to mourning within two days.

I also remember them playing it live at our elementary school.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 10:43:48 AM »
I was 5. We had just traveled to Florida around Christmas and went to Cape Canaveral and saw the space shuttle on the launch pad from a distance (admittedly, I don't know if the Challenger would have been out there a month in advance or if it was another or how that all works).

As a result of seeing a real live spaceship, I was obviously big into the launch and watched it with my mom, while playing with my mini space station prior to going to afternoon kindergarten. I also remember it being a HUGE deal in school for my older brother since a teacher was going into space.

I very clearly remember seeing the shuttle "blow up," hearing my mom gasp and then asking if that was supposed to happen before I started to cry.

Sad, strange day.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 10:52:12 AM »
Roughly 3 years from birth.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 11:06:13 AM »
I remember well.  I was in high school in in Mr. McLaughlin's Chemistry class when word broke.  He stopped and put the classroom TV on to play the news and discuss.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 11:07:57 AM »
I knew the Command Pilot of the Columbia. Willie McCool was a Prowler Driver and quite simply one of the finest men I have been privileged to call a friend.

In a strange twist, two other mutual friends are airline pilots and they were shooting approaches into DFW that morning and saw the fireball. One of them ran track with Willie at the Academy.

The men and women who strap rockets on their backs and head off into space are the best and the brightest. 

Death on call

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 11:09:16 AM »
There's no better way to honor the memory of those heroic pioneers than to push farther to the skies:

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/01/26/boeing-builds-the-most-powerful-rocket-ever-made.html

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 11:46:16 AM »
There's no better way to honor the memory of those heroic pioneers than to push farther to the skies:

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/01/26/boeing-builds-the-most-powerful-rocket-ever-made.html

Pretty incredible how far space travel has come, huh? Weve sent a probe to take pictures of Pluto, a telescope more powerful than the Hubble is being completed. Really remarkable stuff. The universe is so damn vast you gotta imagine that there's life out there somewhere.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 11:58:49 AM »
Pretty incredible how far space travel has come, huh? Weve sent a probe to take pictures of Pluto, a telescope more powerful than the Hubble is being completed. Really remarkable stuff. The universe is so damn vast you gotta imagine that there's life out there somewhere.

Not to get off-track but what was actually accomplished by taking pictures of Pluto?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 12:01:20 PM »
it got demoted from Planet?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 12:26:08 PM »
Second grade... my teacher's husband walked into the room late morning and whispered something to her.  She excused herself from the classroom, and a few moments later, she returned with the TV/VCR followed by the other second and first grade classes (along with the morning K and pre-K kids).

For those of us born between 1960-1980, I think that was our "Kennedy" moment... I recall 1986 with more clarity than 9/11.  Heck, I know I was at work, but I don't even remember the moment I learned that a plane had crashed into the WTC.

I do, however, recall exactly what I was doing 13 years ago (-4 days) at just before 9:00a with extreme clarity as well, so maybe it's just my fascination with spaceflight.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 02:08:28 PM »
I was working at the same job I currently am, I vividly recall my day in the office on 9/11/01 but not 1/28/86. I do recall many Challenger tributes at Mardi Gras that spring.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 03:14:02 PM »
Second grade... my teacher's husband walked into the room late morning and whispered something to her.  She excused herself from the classroom, and a few moments later, she returned with the TV/VCR followed by the other second and first grade classes (along with the morning K and pre-K kids).

For those of us born between 1960-1980, I think that was our "Kennedy" moment... I recall 1986 with more clarity than 9/11.  Heck, I know I was at work, but I don't even remember the moment I learned that a plane had crashed into the WTC.

I do, however, recall exactly what I was doing 13 years ago (-4 days) at just before 9:00a with extreme clarity as well, so maybe it's just my fascination with spaceflight.

Your experience of this is oddly similar to my experience of 9/11.  Instead of the teacher's husband, it was our computer teacher walking into our "homeroom" (in 7th grade) and whispering something into her ear.  A few minutes later she turned on the TV and depending on which class we were in, we watched the footage live or just went on with class as if nothing was happening.  I remember they announced that we would have "indoor recess" that morning, but then changed their decision.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 03:16:15 PM »
Not to get off-track but what was actually accomplished by taking pictures of Pluto?

Maybe not much, but you don't know until you go. Kinda how exploration works.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 03:18:52 PM by Coleman »

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2016, 03:37:46 PM »
I was working at the same job I currently am, I vividly recall my day in the office on 9/11/01 but not 1/28/86. I do recall many Challenger tributes at Mardi Gras that spring.

That's me.  I remember Challenger, but back in 1986 we heard it through the grapevine at work, no internet yet, so it wasn't all-conusming.  Didn't see video, etc. 

9/11 on the other hand, I remember vividly, particularly since I had a few friends and relatives who worked near the WTC, so I was worried for them.  All of them were fine, thank goodness.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2016, 05:22:35 PM »

I hope you are the exception of your generation. I still find space exploration exciting. Perhaps in the not too distant future we will send rovers to the Saturn moon Titan to actually confirm that it has vast frozen "oceans" of methane which to future generations could be a valuable energy source. Like John Kennedy, whose assassination still is vivid in my memory said, "We go to the moon not because it is easy, but because it is hard." He also said, "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country." Many Democrats and Republicans have forgotten that. It may not seem like much but now we know we CAN take pictures of a far away planet and gain further knowledge of Pluto and our solar system which some day may benefit mankind in the future.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 08:33:35 AM by muwarrior69 »

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2016, 05:55:36 PM »

Every piece of information we can learn about our solar system and the celestial bodies in it is one more piece of information that we will build on as we eventually send explorers beyond low earth orbit. Imagine if Columbus knew exactly how many nautical miles were between Spain and the New World, or what the climate would be when he arrived, he could have prepared differently for the journey. Pictures of Pluto might not "accomplish" much beyond fill in pieces of our knowledge of what's out there, but one day that understanding, or more likely the things we've yet to learn that will rest on that understanding, will come in handy.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2016, 09:13:53 PM »
I was in 5th grade... in trouble. I had been sent to the library for in-school detention. There was a TV there and the principal came in to turn it on and watch coverage..
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2016, 08:50:20 AM »
Maybe not much, but you don't know until you go. Kinda how exploration works.

I hope you are the exception of your generation. I still find space exploration exciting. Perhaps in the not too distant future we will send rovers to the Saturn moon Titan to actually confirm that it has vast frozen "oceans" of methane which to future generations could be a valuable energy source. Like John Kennedy, whose assassination still is vivid in my memory said, "We go to the moon not because it is easy, but because it is hard." He also said, "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country." Many Democrats and Republicans have forgotten that. It may not seem like much but now we know we CAN take pictures of a far away planet and gain further knowledge of Pluto and our solar system which some day may benefit mankind in the future.

Every piece of information we can learn about our solar system and the celestial bodies in it is one more piece of information that we will build on as we eventually send explorers beyond low earth orbit. Imagine if Columbus knew exactly how many nautical miles were between Spain and the New World, or what the climate would be when he arrived, he could have prepared differently for the journey. Pictures of Pluto might not "accomplish" much beyond fill in pieces of our knowledge of what's out there, but one day that understanding, or more likely the things we've yet to learn that will rest on that understanding, will come in handy.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the responses. I mean, you didn't change my belief that the space program is an enormous waste of time, money and resources but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2016, 09:00:02 AM »
I was on break from school, visiting my girlfriend in Miami.  We headed to a local mall to do some shopping and were walking through the Sears electronics department when we saw a crowd around the TVs.  A few people had been watching live, but most (including us) gathered as they were showing replays.  A few "oh my Gods", but mostly silence.

5 days I remember like yesterday:

First steps on the moon (5 years old - listened on radio with family)
Nixon getting on the helicopter leaving the WH (Dells vacation - saw on TV as we were heading to pool)
1/28/77 (I was there live)
Challenger disaster
9/11/01 (just got back from morning run and it was on TV)

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2016, 10:26:23 AM »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2016, 10:49:14 AM »
Those articles aren't exactly from unbiased sources.

Are you seriously suggesting that our government would lie to is??

Death on call

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2016, 11:00:55 AM »
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the responses. I mean, you didn't change my belief that the space program is an enormous waste of time, money and resources but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Someone hasn't seen Armageddon or Transformers: Dark of the Moon.

Seriously... if you want justification for the space program, watch some of those videos that Keefe posts from time to time where you see a satellite image of a building in crosshairs being blowing up.  Or Google Maps/Earth.

Progress is inextricably linked to exploration.. whether it's the depths of the ocean, outer space or a faster route to India, it doesn't take a National Geographic film series on the Sentinelese people to understand where society would be if we simply gave up our desire to explore and further ourselves.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2016, 03:22:27 PM »

Just imagine what we could have done with all that time wasted making breakthroughs in materials science, aeronautics, wireless communications, microcomputing, and (sadly back on topic) forensic engineering.  Shame.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2016, 05:04:45 PM »
5th grade. Catholic school. Joined the 4th grade class which was cool because my bro was in it.

I remember sitting around on the floor waiting for something to happen. Then the countdown commenced. Liftoff. Explosion. Two teachers gasped. Unsure what was going on (I thought the Shuttle was still okay).

Not until we went back to our class did I realize what happened. We talked about it the next day.

That was the JFK moment of my youth.
SS Marquette

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2016, 07:12:48 PM »
I was in first grade.  One of my earliest  "bad" memories.

A kid in my kid's 3rd grade class said to me today "Mr. ZFB, did you know about the Challenger?   That was really sad."  Good to know that their memory is still alive today and that kids can still relate.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2016, 10:35:48 PM »

That was a real surreal moment-absolutely

On another note, was 912 a corner room, kitty corner from law school with a bathroom?  If so, I hope there still weren't any remnants from 1979 left in there. I swear that was my room then too
don't...don't don't don't don't

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2016, 10:37:44 PM »
Junior in high school.  Brother Thomas' first period religion class.  One of the schools in the neighboring town is named McAuliffe Middle school after the teacher who perished.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2016, 03:55:13 PM »
That was a real surreal moment-absolutely

On another note, was 912 a corner room, kitty corner from law school with a bathroom?  If so, I hope there still weren't any remnants from 1979 left in there. I swear that was my room then too

901, as you left the elevators, was the only room to the left/east.    912 was on the south-facing side overlooking the Marquette interchange. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2016, 05:03:29 PM »
901, as you left the elevators, was the only room to the left/east.    912 was on the south-facing side overlooking the Marquette interchange.

i just  remember ours being a corner room facing south out one window(s)(marquette interchange) and west(11th street, nondescript? bldg, and cobeen to the north of that)  marquette made it a triple, but the 3rd guy was never around anyway, so my roommate and i basically had it to ourselves.  this room had to be to the right of the "vators
don't...don't don't don't don't

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2016, 05:18:48 PM »
Ever check out the broads changin' in da Virgin Vault with dear drapes wide open, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback