[May 10, 2024, 09:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 10, 2024, 08:12:15 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MUbiz
[May 10, 2024, 03:33:49 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by LloydsLegs
[May 10, 2024, 03:08:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: no more booing at these games?  (Read 5275 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: no more booing at these games?
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2014, 11:56:03 PM »
I think it goes beyond the lack of scoring to the fact that for 90% of the game teams aren't even trying to create opportunities to score. It's incredibly boring to watch the ball be passed around the middle of the field with very, very few advancements of the ball deep into one team or another's territory until it's 1-0 with 5 minutes left in the game, and then all of a sudden the losing team creates 6 shots on goal in 3 minutes while they had 2 for the previous 87 minutes. I get it, you can't play with that kind of urgency for a full 90 minutes, you'll get tired and get burned for 4 goals (and that's the problem, 4 scores is an absurdly high number for one team in soccer).

This fact makes it so that one team can completely "dominate" a game (passing percentage, possession, shots on goal, corner kicks, just opportunities in general) and still lose 1-0. Plus a large majority of games don't count for a whole lot. Teams play looking for a tie. What kind of athlete/competitor hopes for, is happy with, a tie? Just lame if you ask me.

Teams area always trying to create opportunities to score. Passing around the back or middle is changing the point of attack and allowing forwards/mids time to find space and make runs. Just because you don't understand it or see it doesn't mean it isn't happening. As for end of games, losing teams push like crazy, and, as a result, often get burned the other way because they're pushed forward too much.

I know of zero true athletes in any sport at any level who are looking for a tie. Happy with a tie? Sure, maybe if it's a table format and the other team is clearly superior.

Also, when talking about "games don't count for a whole lot", the same could be said for MLB, NBA and NHL.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: no more booing at these games?
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2014, 02:46:30 PM »
Teams area always trying to create opportunities to score. Passing around the back or middle is changing the point of attack and allowing forwards/mids time to find space and make runs. Just because you don't understand it or see it doesn't mean it isn't happening. As for end of games, losing teams push like crazy, and, as a result, often get burned the other way because they're pushed forward too much.

I know of zero true athletes in any sport at any level who are looking for a tie. Happy with a tie? Sure, maybe if it's a table format and the other team is clearly superior.

Also, when talking about "games don't count for a whole lot", the same could be said for MLB, NBA and NHL.

I see it, I just don't think those things really ever lead to scoring opportunities.  How many truly good scoring opportunities per game are there at a level of division 1 college or above per game?  Maybe 5 between the 2 teams?  In a 90 minute game?  And 2-4 of those end without a goal.  Just plain boring.

Teams are always happy to leave an opponents home field with a tie in aggregate scoring (unless it's the 2nd leg and they lost the first game).  It's lame.

Hockey also stinks and also has games that result in ties, so I'd agree there.  MLB and NBA have games that determine a winner no matter what.  They will play as long as they have to, but there will be no tie.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback