[May 10, 2024, 09:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 10, 2024, 08:12:15 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MUbiz
[May 10, 2024, 03:33:49 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by LloydsLegs
[May 10, 2024, 03:08:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: no more booing at these games?  (Read 5274 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
no more booing at these games?
« on: September 07, 2014, 08:27:49 PM »
  i would bet the 1st amendment people are developing aneurysms over this one.  could you imagine if marquette sent this text out to all fans or put that on all tickets?  at least they could start with special sections for booing first, then move them outside with the smokers ;D  what about whistling?

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/09/07/11-colleges-ban-booing-at-soccer-games/?intcmp=latestnews
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: no more booing at these games?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 08:37:16 PM »
what about cheering?  it seems they are trying to limit "bad behavior" or hurting someones feelings?  i'm not quite sure what they are trying to accomplish here.  then what about cheering?  wouldn't that hurt the opposing teams feelings?  if they try to enforce this by penalizing the home team then opposing fans will boo even louder. will they have cameras and microphones out in the crowd and miscreants will be...what.  this is really weird.  try to enforce this in philly where they boo'd santa claus ?-(

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 08:43:47 PM »
H E Y
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 08:49:18 PM »
H E Y

HEY, gabba, gabba hey, disco makes.....

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 09:06:44 PM »
What a joke

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 09:21:20 PM »
It's soccer, what do you expect? (Oops sorry, I'm supposed to stay out of these discussions...)
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 11:26:27 PM »
This is a logical extension of the everyone gets a ribbon generation.

Booing is bullying…ban it now.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 08:16:36 AM »
What kind of attendance do they have.  I'd guess we are talking about at most 40-50 people and their cats (it is New England after all).
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

reinko

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 08:56:13 AM »
Booing your team is for douche bros and guttertrash.

brandx

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 12:41:14 PM »
It's soccer, what do you expect? (Oops sorry, I'm supposed to stay out of these discussions...)

Now, when they do this to a real sport, they we may have an issue! When I was in high school, the soccer team was made up of guys who sucked at baseball, basketball or football. Soccer players were not considered to be jocks.

Obviously that has changed... but my opinion on soccer has not.

I'll fight this battle with you Wades :P

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 12:53:23 PM »
My son played LAX at Middlebury which is in the NESCAC. We attended Middlebury football games and the crowds were pretty tame from what we saw. I am told this is a specific response to some off-color language incorporated into student chants during Williams - Amherst games.  

The atmosphere at NESCAC events is rather collegial. Teams, students, and alums usually gather together after games for socializing. I cannot imagine Michigan and Ohio State tribes getting together to hoist a few while reliving the excitement of that day's match.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 12:55:45 PM by keefe »

Death on call

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 04:03:50 PM »
Sorry, but this is NOTHING compared to the policing of fan behavior at golf or even tennis events.  If you so much as fart when a player is about to putt or serve, they'll try to get you booted.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 09:57:27 PM »
My son played LAX at Middlebury which is in the NESCAC. We attended Middlebury football games and the crowds were pretty tame from what we saw. I am told this is a specific response to some off-color language incorporated into student chants during Williams - Amherst games.  

The atmosphere at NESCAC events is rather collegial. Teams, students, and alums usually gather together after games for socializing. I cannot imagine Michigan and Ohio State tribes getting together to hoist a few while reliving the excitement of that day's match.

A buddy of mine was the kicker for Middlebury's football team a few years ago.  He filled the shoes of Steven Haushka after he graduated from there and Russell Wilson'd/Trent Lockett'd into NC State.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brandx

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 10:00:54 PM »
Sorry, but this is NOTHING compared to the policing of fan behavior at golf or even tennis events.  If you so much as fart when a player is about to putt or serve, they'll try to get you booted.

But, yet we expect a guy to be able to hit a 91 MPH slider with 50,000 people screaming.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 10:33:48 PM »
Booing your team is for douche bros and guttertrash.

I won't go quite that far, but I generally agree. However, this seems to be geared towards booing in general. Booing is almost always directed at officials, usually the home team booing at officials for 'missing' a call. To me this really looks like the conference creating an illusion of decorum.

Side note: on at least one occasion I've witnessed even MU fans booing the team on a particularly poor performance, not saying it's right, but it happens just about everywhere. It's certainly not the norm in college athletics at least.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 03:06:12 AM »

Well, they don't want crowd noise to drown out the fake bird chirps the networks dub into broadcasts. One of the most absurd charades in sports.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 07:18:53 AM »
This is a logical extension of the everyone gets a ribbon generation.

Booing is bullying…ban it now.

You are making a dumb leap in logic.  Read Keefe's post.  This is NESCAC...basically the small college version of the Ivy League.  Kids who are used to dealing with high performance on the athletic and academic fronts.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 07:49:48 AM »
Wait ... somebody actually pays money to watch soccer?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 07:58:32 AM »
Wait ... somebody actually pays money to watch soccer?

According to Forbes, 6 of the 20 highest paid athletes in the world (including #2 and #4) are soccer players.  Only 4 are basketball players.

http://www.forbes.com/athletes/list/#tab:overall

So yeah, your opinion (and that of many others on this board) are the exceptions....

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 09:16:35 AM »
i'll probably catch some chit for this post-sticking up for soccer players, but here it goes...i wasn't a fan until both my boys took it up.  both ended up pretty good. both keepers.  my oldest probably had a shot at playing at the next level/college, but chose to concentrate on his studies.  anyway, not only are these guys in terrific shape, but it is a very physical game.  they wear very few pads and play in some of the most inclement weather-cold, rain snow, etc.  some of the hitting especiall without pads comes pretty darn close to football or rugby.  so it's easy to critisize, i guess and i get that.  i'm wodering if due to the lack of scoring and people really not understanding the game, it gets low grades?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2014, 11:32:46 AM »
i'll probably catch some chit for this post-sticking up for soccer players, but here it goes...i wasn't a fan until both my boys took it up.  both ended up pretty good. both keepers.  my oldest probably had a shot at playing at the next level/college, but chose to concentrate on his studies.  anyway, not only are these guys in terrific shape, but it is a very physical game.  they wear very few pads and play in some of the most inclement weather-cold, rain snow, etc.  some of the hitting especiall without pads comes pretty darn close to football or rugby.  so it's easy to critisize, i guess and i get that.  i'm wodering if due to the lack of scoring and people really not understanding the game, it gets low grades?

I played rugby and soccer and disagree entirely. Maybe your sons' league is an outlier but I gave up soccer because I kept getting in trouble for the hits I leaned in Lacrosse or rugby.  You have a point about the weather I'll give you that but rugby and lacrosse heck football too get played in much colder temperatures than soccer.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 11:57:18 AM »
I played rugby and soccer and disagree entirely. Maybe your sons' league is an outlier but I gave up soccer because I kept getting in trouble for the hits I leaned in Lacrosse or rugby.  You have a point about the weather I'll give you that but rugby and lacrosse heck football too get played in much colder temperatures than soccer.

Throwing a lot of blanket around in this post. Maybe next time take a few minutes to gather your thoughts and write them coherently?

brandx

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 04:20:53 PM »
According to Forbes, 6 of the 20 highest paid athletes in the world (including #2 and #4) are soccer players.  Only 4 are basketball players.

http://www.forbes.com/athletes/list/#tab:overall

So yeah, your opinion (and that of many others on this board) are the exceptions....

Worldwide... yes.

Here in this country.... hardly the exception.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2014, 09:17:29 PM »

I think it goes beyond the lack of scoring to the fact that for 90% of the game teams aren't even trying to create opportunities to score. It's incredibly boring to watch the ball be passed around the middle of the field with very, very few advancements of the ball deep into one team or another's territory until it's 1-0 with 5 minutes left in the game, and then all of a sudden the losing team creates 6 shots on goal in 3 minutes while they had 2 for the previous 87 minutes. I get it, you can't play with that kind of urgency for a full 90 minutes, you'll get tired and get burned for 4 goals (and that's the problem, 4 scores is an absurdly high number for one team in soccer).

This fact makes it so that one team can completely "dominate" a game (passing percentage, possession, shots on goal, corner kicks, just opportunities in general) and still lose 1-0. Plus a large majority of games don't count for a whole lot. Teams play looking for a tie. What kind of athlete/competitor hopes for, is happy with, a tie? Just lame if you ask me.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2014, 11:27:03 PM »
Throwing a lot of blanket around in this post. Maybe next time take a few minutes to gather your thoughts and write them coherently?

+infinity

feedback