[May 10, 2024, 09:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 10, 2024, 08:12:15 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MUbiz
[May 10, 2024, 03:33:49 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by LloydsLegs
[May 10, 2024, 03:08:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Any Veterinarians here?  (Read 5265 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Any Veterinarians here?
« on: February 10, 2013, 12:22:00 PM »
Spent almost 7 hours at the Vet hospital yesterday \ last night with our dog. Any vets here, I would like to send a PM question.  Thanks

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Any Veterinarians here?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 04:41:09 PM »
Before a commitment, does dog carry insurance?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 07:14:09 PM »
Before a commitment, does dog carry insurance?

LOL.  No, wish she did.  I'm out $1,500 last night on her alone and staring at another $3k to $4k coming up potentially.  Love that damn dog.  My wife, not happy. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 07:15:48 PM »
Not happy at the expense for the dear dog?  Next time she's sick, balk at paying the bill.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 07:28:04 PM »
Not happy at the expense for the dear dog?  Next time she's sick, balk at paying the bill.

Let's just say my wife is not a dog friendly person and throwing down $5K to keep the dog going isn't her idea of dollars well spent.  She likes the dog, but she has a limit and it's fast approaching.  To say she is fiscally conservative is an understatement...makes me look like Tip O'Neill on a spending binge.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 07:40:41 PM »
Tough noogies.  I mean, I wouldn't do a heart transplant, but $5k is doable.

(I spent $2900 on my cat .. ten years ago.  He's still going strong.)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 07:43:18 PM »
Let's just say my wife is not a dog friendly person and throwing down $5K to keep the dog going isn't her idea of dollars well spent.  She likes the dog, but she has a limit and it's fast approaching.  To say she is fiscally conservative is an understatement...makes me look like Tip O'Neill on a spending binge.

I'll run it over for a cool $1,000 plus travel costs.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 07:52:08 PM »
Nah, he could just lose it on the 405
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 08:28:45 PM »
put it in a LAPD get-up and have that lunatic put it out of it's misery.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 08:47:38 PM »
put it in a LAPD get-up and have that lunatic put it out of it's misery.

Yeah, that lunatic's mom lives in our town, so we've had the copters and news folks around here the last few days.  Hasn't been very cool.  We live in a sleepy O.C. town, very small, so the excitement has been a bit much for most folks here. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 08:48:38 PM »

I get ya, but my guess is you love your cat and I love the dog.  My wife...she likes the dog...love isn't quite there for the dog and she looks at funds a lot differently.  Very black and white.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 09:18:53 PM »
I get ya, but my guess is you love your cat and I love the dog.  My wife...she likes the dog...love isn't quite there for the dog and she looks at funds a lot differently.  Very black and white.

A buddy of mine who now flies for FedEx spends a lot of dough on hunting dogs. Plural. He'll bid trips just to look at litters. Anyhow, he loves dogs and he loves his wife and she made it clear he had to choose. Hope it doesn't get there in your household.

Death on call

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 07:54:32 AM »

Love, schmuve.  Who wears the pants!

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 11:52:40 AM »
Not a vet, curious owner of an aging dog.  What's going on with her?
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 01:45:38 PM »
Love, schmuve.  Who wears the pants!

You've been married long enough Hilltopper....the wearing of the pants depends on what is going on.  Only one bread winner in our house, but that doesn't mean she doesn't yield some power.   ;)

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 01:51:49 PM »
Ah yes, the power of the hairy, wet cat.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 01:53:37 PM »
Not a vet, curious owner of an aging dog.  What's going on with her?

T-Bone:

19 month old Shepard  \ Collie mix dog we got at 12 weeks of age.  Very athletic.  Crazy leaper...can jump onto my daughter's bed easily and that is 4 feet high...low to the ground, very fast.  She was playing with my daughter on Saturday afternoon and took a misstep on the wood floors which dislocated her hip pretty bad.  A lot of pain.  Docs weren't sure if she fractured a pelvis or what the story was.  Long story short, after many hours (weekends at the Vet hospital = long waits), a number of x-rays, they put her under completely and put the hip back in the socket. She is now in a sling, right rear leg completely "taped" against body where she can't move it for 2 weeks.

The hope is enough scar tissue builds up to strengthen the area and keep it from popping out again.  Unfortunately, no guarantees and she's an active dog. I worry she will pop it again which will lead to surgery.  Emergency doc explained three surgery procedures that are possible and I was hoping a Vet here could give me the lay of the land, pros and cons of each, approximate long term complications, costs, etc.

She's a young dog which is why I want to do this.  Plus, when my daughter was released from the hospital with her issues, this is the dog we got 3 days letter.  We found the dog online while in the hospital, so a very special attachment for me.  I'll spend what I need to, within reason....Mrs. Chico might not be too happy with that but will have to deal with that later. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2013, 02:02:07 PM »
You've been married long enough Hilltopper....the wearing of the pants depends on what is going on.  Only one bread winner in our house, but that doesn't mean she doesn't yield some power.   ;)

Is the "understanding" that you referred to in another thread that you make the dough but she controls the checkbook?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 02:03:13 PM »
A buddy of mine who now flies for FedEx spends a lot of dough on hunting dogs. Plural. He'll bid trips just to look at litters. Anyhow, he loves dogs and he loves his wife and she made it clear he had to choose.

Bet he misses his wife.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 03:34:34 PM »

$2900 on a cat?  Unless its of the hairy wet type, you gotta turn in your man card. ;)

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2013, 03:42:10 PM »
19 month old Shepard  \ Collie mix dog we got at 12 weeks of age.  Very athletic.  Crazy leaper...can jump onto my daughter's bed easily and that is 4 feet high...low to the ground, very fast.  She was playing with my daughter on Saturday afternoon and took a misstep on the wood floors which dislocated her hip pretty bad.  A lot of pain.  Docs weren't sure if she fractured a pelvis or what the story was.  Long story short, after many hours (weekends at the Vet hospital = long waits), a number of x-rays, they put her under completely and put the hip back in the socket. She is now in a sling, right rear leg completely "taped" against body where she can't move it for 2 weeks.

That's nothing short of expensive treatment.  My dog's about a 7-8 y/o white shepherd.  I couldn't see myself forking over a ton of money for medical treatment, but you never know until you're in that situation.  

Best of luck with that.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2013, 06:13:41 PM »
Is the "understanding" that you referred to in another thread that you make the dough but she controls the checkbook?

I actually control both, but she is more than willing to exercise verbal input on matters of importance for her.   :D

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2013, 06:14:54 PM »
That's nothing short of expensive treatment.  My dog's about a 7-8 y/o white shepherd.  I couldn't see myself forking over a ton of money for medical treatment, but you never know until you're in that situation.  

Best of luck with that.

The guy in the office next to mine dropped $10K on his dog and it still died.  The crazy stuff we do for certain things.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2013, 10:42:03 PM »
Tough noogies.  I mean, I wouldn't do a heart transplant, but $5k is doable.

(I spent $2900 on my cat .. ten years ago.  He's still going strong.)

I'm an insensitive bastard, but you can get a about 20 new dogs/cats at the pound for $2900.

honkytonk

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2013, 11:36:33 PM »

You could do an exhaustive search for a dog that looks almost like the one you have and Im guessing your daughter will never know. Pull the ol' switcheroo. When you find the dog, send it to a trainer so it responds to its name and all the other commands you taught it. Then, introduce the new dog to the yard and house when your daughter is gone and send it back to the trainer when your daughter gets home. When you think you duplicated it, make the permanent switch. All of this will cost substantially less money than surgery.

Yes, I know someone that did this.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2013, 11:55:58 PM »
You could do an exhaustive search for a dog that looks almost like the one you have and Im guessing your daughter will never know. Pull the ol' switcheroo. When you find the dog, send it to a trainer so it responds to its name and all the other commands you taught it. Then, introduce the new dog to the yard and house when your daughter is gone and send it back to the trainer when your daughter gets home. When you think you duplicated it, make the permanent switch. All of this will cost substantially less money than surgery.

Yes, I know someone that did this.

Not this dog....very special features including a spotted tongue unlike anything I've ever seen before.  I know where you are going, many dogs do look alike, but this one I have yet to see a copy even close.  Even the vet was commenting on what mix she was because she's got a lot of quirky looks to her. 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2013, 10:23:33 AM »
Not this dog....very special features including a spotted tongue unlike anything I've ever seen before.  I know where you are going, many dogs do look alike, but this one I have yet to see a copy even close.  Even the vet was commenting on what mix she was because she's got a lot of quirky looks to her. 

Meet the Parents, Focker!

Coach Norman Dale

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2013, 01:30:34 AM »
I'm an insensitive bastard, but you can get a about 20 new dogs/cats at the pound for $2900.

An SNL piece that seems on topic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS4-PSH9hxQ

feedback