collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: New SI: D. Wade rejecting Stanford 7-foot-1 rookie Brook Lopez  (Read 5269 times)

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
New SI: D. Wade rejecting Stanford 7-foot-1 rookie Brook Lopez
« on: January 15, 2009, 06:24:09 PM »
I know any of the rest of you who attended the Stanford game last year might enjoy the SI that just hit the streets.  In an article on Dwyane Wade titled "The Power of One," one of five photos is Wade skying above Brook Lopez to power reject a dunk attempt.  The article talks about him actually rejecting Lopez twice in the game, and several of the other 7-footers he has swatted this year.  The pullout quote is:

"I'm not going to lie," Wade said of his shot-blocking spree.  "It's fun to go up and get a guy who's got five, six inches on you."

Another cut out is titled "First Among Equals," showing how much more important Wade is to his team than Lebron and Kobe.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

Mayor McCheese

• All American
Re: New SI: D. Wade rejecting Stanford 7-foot-1 rookie Brook Lopez
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 07:20:30 PM »
As much as I love watching D-Wade play, he isn't more important to his team than LeBron James

Best record in the NBA is a team that is James and 4 role players.  LeBron James on a nightly basis does more for his team then anyone in the NBA.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 07:29:43 PM »
As much as I love watching D-Wade play, he isn't more important to his team than LeBron James

Best record in the NBA is a team that is James and 4 role players.  LeBron James on a nightly basis does more for his team then anyone in the NBA.
Mo Williams is not a roll player and Zydrunas is one of the better centers in the league.  Dwyane Wade literally has only roll players around him.  Shawn Marrion was great in Phoenix, but that's because he perfectly fit their system.  It was like the opposite of Borris Diaw, who was at best a roll player in Phoenix and now is proving to be an All-Star caliber player with the Bobcats.  The article has stats showing the percent of points they create for their team (not really sure how to explain it), and Wade pretty clearly does more for the Heat than James does for the Cavs and Kobe does for the Lakers.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mviale

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 09:28:51 PM »

Until your boy Lebron wins a championship, sit down.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 10:01:05 PM »

shut up..what board do you think you are on?? I mean come on hahaha
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 12:11:55 AM »
Until your boy Lebron wins a championship, sit down.

Give LeBron someone like Shaq and its a done deal.

Shawn Marion, even in Miami, is still better then anyone on the Cavs

Trust me, I am a bigger fan of Wades then James, I am just stating the pure facts...

And by showing the stats of Wade and James of what they do for their teams.  Well one has the best record in the league, the other is mediocre.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 08:07:15 AM »
Give LeBron someone like Shaq and its a done deal.

Shawn Marion, even in Miami, is still better then anyone on the Cavs

Trust me, I am a bigger fan of Wades then James, I am just stating the pure facts...

And by showing the stats of Wade and James of what they do for their teams.  Well one has the best record in the league, the other is mediocre.

MayorMcC is right. 

I can spot the homer in the rest of you, but realisitically, LeBron is so much more important to his team.  Mo Williams IS a ROLE player.  Zydrunas is at his best, a ROLE player... who are you trying to kid calling him one of the best centers in the NBA?  He isn' even in the top 20.  I'm not sure what you are watching, but this statement alone should disqualify the rest of your argument.

A role player is typically a guy who fills a ROLE, and plays to the best of his abilities.  LeBron is clearly a superstar... he can do it all.  Just like Wade is a superstar.  Both teams are one superstar and 4 ROLE players.  Now, if you switch James and Wade on their respective teams, which team is going to be better?

The answer is, unequivically, LeBrons Miami Heat.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 11:16:44 AM »
Lebron will go down as one of the games 10 best player of all-time.

Wade will go down as a one of the best of his era, maybe top 100, maybe.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 11:28:31 AM »
Back to the block, I remember reading that Jerel wanted to guard one of the Lopez twins down the stretch last March.   After seeing that block, maybe we should have let him.    Realistically though, a block like that doesn't come while defending someone that big, it comes from perfect timing from the weak side.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

nola03

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 11:33:40 AM »
Lebron will go down as one of the games 10 best player of all-time.

Wade will go down as a one of the best of his era, maybe top 100, maybe.

LeBron will go down as the overhyped love child of David Stern if he doesn't win anything.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 11:50:14 AM »
Wade will do down as maybe top 100?  Come on.

While Shaq was on the Heat when Miami won the title, there can't be any argument that was Wade's team and Shaq was a shadow of his former self. Time and again, Wade made big baskets willing that team to the championship. I won't argue that he's better than LeBron or Kobe, but I will argue that he's definitely top 100 already and if he continues his current play for a few more years, he'll be top 50.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 11:51:12 AM »
MayorMcC is right. 

I can spot the homer in the rest of you, but realisitically, LeBron is so much more important to his team.  Mo Williams IS a ROLE player.  Zydrunas is at his best, a ROLE player... who are you trying to kid calling him one of the best centers in the NBA?  He isn' even in the top 20.  I'm not sure what you are watching, but this statement alone should disqualify the rest of your argument.

A role player is typically a guy who fills a ROLE, and plays to the best of his abilities.  LeBron is clearly a superstar... he can do it all.  Just like Wade is a superstar.  Both teams are one superstar and 4 ROLE players.  Now, if you switch James and Wade on their respective teams, which team is going to be better?

The answer is, unequivically, LeBrons Miami Heat.

Please name me 20 centers that are better than big z right now. To use your words-that statement alone should disqualify your arguement.
Mo Williams is a microwave who is able to consistently take some of the scoring pressure off James, something he has really never had before.

Marion simply is not nearly as good in Miami's system as he was in PHX and his efficiency shows that.
Beasley has shown some promise but his D is wretched.
Chalmers has played much better than expected but is still a rookie and it shows at times.

James has a much stronger supporting cast this year and its not even close, ask any GM or columnist.

Wade obviously won a title with Shaq, but he wasn't exactly the dominant force he had been.  Wade was by far the best player on that team.

This year, I would say James is playing better than Wade by just a hair; but to say he is a lot better is flat out wrong.  If Wade can stay healthy he will unquestionably be considered a top 50 player.  James will prolly end up being considered a top 10 player but until he wins a ring I don't think you can say he has much on DWade.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 01:11:31 PM »
Well since there is really no other way, I will define "better" as statisically better.  Points, Rebounds, Blocks, Assists, Steals... all per game

"BIG Z" is: (and this is counting only PURE centers, not F/C... where some of the best guys are)

6th in points
13th in Blocks
15th in Rebounds
12th in Assists
19th in Steals

Ok, I will admit he is at the tail end of the top 15 PURE Centers... but that is really beside the point since you said he was one of the "better" Centers in the game... which he isn't.  He is a jobber and better than guys with half his skill set.  He is middle of the pack statistically, and he has the best player in the league on his team.

As for Mo Williams, he is a scorer.  He is a defensive liability and always has been... so the one thing he is GOOD at is scoring.  whoopie.  this makes him a ROLE player.

Regardless.  How is Wade better than LeBron?

HOW?

jce

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 01:34:02 PM »
LeBron will go down as the overhyped love child of David Stern if he doesn't win anything.

What is truly amazing about James is that he is still only 24 years old.  Jordan didn't win his first title until 26, and he had much better players around him than James has had.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 06:27:48 PM »
Wade will do down as maybe top 100?  Come on.

While Shaq was on the Heat when Miami won the title, there can't be any argument that was Wade's team and Shaq was a shadow of his former self. Time and again, Wade made big baskets willing that team to the championship. I won't argue that he's better than LeBron or Kobe, but I will argue that he's definitely top 100 already and if he continues his current play for a few more years, he'll be top 50.

If wade hurt his knee next game and knocked him out for good I don't think he'd be a top 100 player.  He'd be a border line hall of famer.  Injuries hurt your standings and longevity is important.  If he stays healthy he'll be top 50 but lebron is an all timer.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 10:39:59 PM »
Looks like D-Wade has been rejected by his wife in an ugly divorce now.  Not good with ugly details coming out.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 01:27:46 AM »
Looks like D-Wade has been rejected by his wife in an ugly divorce now.  Not good with ugly details coming out.

She's going to be bringing in some big money.  I'm assuming when you get married in college you don't sign a prenupt.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/01/18/dwyane-wades-divorce-takes-ugly-turn/

feedback