[Today at 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[Today at 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[Today at 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is Danny Manning a serious candidate?  (Read 21225 times)

ecompt

• All American
Is Danny Manning a serious candidate?
« on: March 30, 2014, 07:06:31 PM »
Good pedigree, solid year at Tulsa, name recognition. I'd take him over Wojo in a heartbeat,

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Re: Is Danny Manning a serious candidate?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 07:52:22 PM »
Me, too.

mhendrick

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 07:53:14 PM »
i'd also take him over Martin.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 08:12:10 PM »
Of all the younger guys, he'd be my first choice. No mention in the national media though, so who knows if he'd even come to Marquette.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 03:04:16 PM »
If Manning isn't fired next month from Wake it will be a miracle.  He got his 5 years.

2014–15   Wake Forest   13–19   5–13   12th   
2015–16   Wake Forest   11–19   2–16   13th   
2016–17   Wake Forest   19–14   9–9   10th   NCAA Division I First Four
2017–18   Wake Forest   11–20   4–14   14th   
2018–19   Wake Forest   9–15           2–10 16th   
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 04:03:04 PM »
Good memory to dig this up.

Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 04:05:00 PM »
Thank goodness random scoop posters weren't making hiring decisions back then......lol

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 04:05:44 PM »
Manning wasn't on my short list, but I didn't hate the idea. Thought he would do well at Wake. I was incorrect.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2019, 04:54:22 PM »
Good memory to dig this up.

I got to thinking today when Crash was talking about Hopkins and MU and stating how close it was.  The people that I have dealt with over the years at MU, some of which I saw last week in Milwaukee again...former employees now....I don't recall Hopkins being one of those guys.  At any rate, wanted to go down memory lane of who was floating what back then, and with Wake losing by about 40 today at home and Manning clearly done I did recall him being on the list of some.  But nothing wrong with that, we've all thrown names out there on this board that didn't work out, that's part of the fun of speculation.  I am as guilty as anyone of it.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2019, 05:56:13 PM »
Okay. but would he have done better at MU than at Wake?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2019, 06:06:26 PM »
Okay. but would he have done better at MU than at Wake?

Impossible to know.  He had two decent years at Tulsa, but he took over for a guy that had Tulsa 2nd or 3rd in three of the previous four years.  Tulsa didn't have a losing record since 2006, so not exactly a program that was in distress.

warriorjoe

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2019, 03:28:41 PM »
It might take more than Danny and the Miracles to help him there.
He has found out in a hurry how difficult it is to compete in the ACC.

Go Warriors!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2019, 04:17:09 PM »
It might take more than Danny and the Miracles to help him there.
He has found out in a hurry how difficult it is to compete in the ACC.

Go Warriors!

He ain't in Kansas anymore

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2019, 04:36:32 PM »
There was so much Wojo hate when he was hired. So many people saying things like for MU to be considered "a big-boy school" and a "big-boy job" we had to hire a real coach and not some assistant.

Heck, there was plenty of Wojo hate here 3 months ago.

All of these thread bumps just make me laugh.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2019, 04:46:53 PM »
I remember posters claiming UNC fans were laughing at MU and they had a running joke about why Wojo could never get a spot other than on Duke’s bench.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2019, 04:51:36 PM »
There was so much Wojo hate when he was hired. So many people saying things like for MU to be considered "a big-boy school" and a "big-boy job" we had to hire a real coach and not some assistant.

Heck, there was plenty of Wojo hate here 3 months ago.

All of these thread bumps just make me laugh.

I don't think that thinking was wrong then or now.  MU continues to go down the path of assistant hires, they certainly can work out but they are risky because you don't know what you are going to get.  On the job training. There's a reason that the major major guys almost never hire an assistant as the HC unless they are already at the program.  Part of it is because we simply cannot get an established guy to come here, and so we've done well with landing on assistants that are hungry.  The downside of that is we get guys that leave early and don't hang around very long typically. At some point it will bite us, and hopefully not hard where it takes a decade to turn it around.  I'd still prefer landing an experienced head coach than someone that is learning how to do it on the fly.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2019, 05:20:09 PM »
I don't think that thinking was wrong then or now.  MU continues to go down the path of assistant hires, they certainly can work out but they are risky because you don't know what you are going to get.  On the job training. There's a reason that the major major guys almost never hire an assistant as the HC unless they are already at the program.  Part of it is because we simply cannot get an established guy to come here, and so we've done well with landing on assistants that are hungry.  The downside of that is we get guys that leave early and don't hang around very long typically. At some point it will bite us, and hopefully not hard where it takes a decade to turn it around.  I'd still prefer landing an experienced head coach than someone that is learning how to do it on the fly.

Not so sure I agree.

Of our past six hires, Bob Dukiet and Mike Deane were experienced head coaches, while KO, TC, Buzz and Wojo weren't. (I know Buzz was HC for a short time at UNO, but he wasn't an "experienced" head coach.) I would take any of the latter four over either of the experienced guys.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2019, 05:40:15 PM »
Not so sure I agree.

Of our past six hires, Bob Dukiet and Mike Deane were experienced head coaches, while KO, TC, Buzz and Wojo weren't. (I know Buzz was HC for a short time at UNO, but he wasn't an "experienced" head coach.) I would take any of the latter four over either of the experienced guys.

This.

Sure, I would love for us to get a GREAT experienced coach with a proven track record of excellence -- like when Roy Williams went to UNC. But there are very, very, very few of those.

I do not want a retread with baggage. And, as you suggest, just as many mid-major coaches end up being flops as assistants do.

As you point out, our last 4 hires from the assistant ranks were successes -- some might argue major successes. All but Buzz knew what it took to succeed for several years in big-time programs, because they had served as top assistants in big-time programs.

I hope Wojo decides this is his destination job and stays for a long, long time. But if he leaves, I would have absolutely no problem hiring another guy who had been a long-time assistant under the likes of Olson (KO), Izzo (Crean) or K (Wojo) again.

I don't see how Wojo was more "risky" than Howland or Martin would have been.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2019, 05:42:40 PM »
 i was honestly on the, let's see what we have here side.  there were many things to like about him right off the bat-

from a winning tradition

played and coached under one of the best-recruits would be geeked by his attention

was a defensive minded player(remember, i said right off the bat)

i felt he was going to be a player's coach(age), could relate to players

even when wojo was under some intense criticism, i will admit that i clammed up a bit, but never threw him under the bus.  i'm not doing the happy dance(on the final four logo ;)) yet, but we are headed in the right direction.  let's see if he's creating a buzz(no pun) around the ncaa that MU is a b-ball and academic stud school
don't...don't don't don't don't

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2019, 07:53:05 PM »
Not so sure I agree.

When I say an experienced head coach, I mean a major major not a mid major.  Dukiet was gifted because Rick decoded in June or July to leave the program, and that was a killer.

Yes, we can get Midmajor guys to come here, we have tried to get Bennett, Shaka, etc, all have said no.  We’ve rolled the dice pretty well, but it also means going young and those guys start to feel like they need to go elsewhere after a bit of time.  Would be nice not to have a high major steal our guy each time and we actually return the favor.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2019, 08:03:17 PM »
  did rick "decide" to leave the program or was he "encouraged"?  i remember him being axked to leave like he didn't have a choice though

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2019, 08:08:51 PM »
  did rick "decide" to leave the program or was he "encouraged"?  i remember him being axked to leave like he didn't have a choice though

My point was the timing was God awful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2019, 08:12:36 PM »
My point was the timing was God awful.

got it

i don't remember if there were any other potentially better candidates than dukiet, but my God there had to be...but he could still play the peee ano

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2019, 08:15:25 PM »
got it

i don't remember if there were any other potentially better candidates than dukiet, but my God there had to be...but he could still play the peee ano

If I recall the guy from Arkansas Little Rock was to be the coach and he bailed at the end, or we bailed....something.  Very tough to get a coach that late.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2019, 08:18:34 PM »
When I say an experienced head coach, I mean a major major not a mid major.  Dukiet was gifted because Rick decoded in June or July to leave the program, and that was a killer.

Yes, we can get Midmajor guys to come here, we have tried to get Bennett, Shaka, etc, all have said no.  We’ve rolled the dice pretty well, but it also means going young and those guys start to feel like they need to go elsewhere after a bit of time.  Would be nice not to have a high major steal our guy each time and we actually return the favor.

Marquette is a top 25 modern day program. In that time (50+ years) we have never hired a major major coach. The 2 who came closest (Deane and Dukiet) were a disappointment and a disaster respectively.