[Today at 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[Today at 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[Today at 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shaka Smart, Relationships and Trouble in Madison  (Read 26686 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: Shaka Smart, Relationships and Trouble in Madison
« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2021, 10:29:21 AM »
SVU is a guilty pleasure show for me. It's fun to watch how badly they represent the reality of that kind of work.

I did enjoy the new Stabler series first season.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #101 on: June 23, 2021, 11:20:02 AM »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2021, 11:26:20 AM »
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2021, 11:28:44 AM »
Sic! Well.... we played like a mid major nobody for at least 5 of the last 7 seasons.

Wojo, who many consider the worst coach in MU history, went 4-3 against UW.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #105 on: June 23, 2021, 11:29:08 AM »
Is Shaka Law & Order guy?
Goal is National Championship

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2021, 11:49:37 AM »
Held the dice for 50 minutes at Ceasars Palace at like 1 in the morning, the whole table was packed with 2 deep behind.  The guy next to me was betting 500 dollars
on the open numbers and killing it.  Me and my friends won 12K, it was something you never forget!

I learned how to play craps on a spring break cruise my senior year of college.  The second night, I had what is still to date my longest roll.  Had the dice for about 35-40 min.  I remember multiple middle aged guys fighting with their wives cause they wanted them to leave the table.  Older man next to me had a 4/10 strategy going and would hand me a $50 every time I tossed one.  At the end of my roll, another guy walked up and handed me $250 in chips and clapped me on the back.  It was nuts.

Even more nuts was I had no clue what I was doing with betting and was on a stingey college kid table mins.  I made nearly as much from the “tips” as I did from winnings.  It’s haunts me that if I had the same kind of roll hit today knowing what I do, it would being a comfortable 5 figure payday

MU82

• All American
« Reply #107 on: June 23, 2021, 12:21:22 PM »
I learned how to play craps on a spring break cruise my senior year of college.  The second night, I had what is still to date my longest roll.  Had the dice for about 35-40 min.  I remember multiple middle aged guys fighting with their wives cause they wanted them to leave the table.  Older man next to me had a 4/10 strategy going and would hand me a $50 every time I tossed one.  At the end of my roll, another guy walked up and handed me $250 in chips and clapped me on the back.  It was nuts.

Even more nuts was I had no clue what I was doing with betting and was on a stingey college kid table mins.  I made nearly as much from the “tips” as I did from winnings.  It’s haunts me that if I had the same kind of roll hit today knowing what I do, it would being a comfortable 5 figure payday

That's awesome, Wags. I love craps ... though it's freakin' addictive (and that's not a good thing).
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #108 on: June 23, 2021, 12:46:28 PM »

I think Al would have adapted to the way today's kids think and act.

If I'm wrong, and he refused to adapt, he'd have had trouble keeping a job.
I wasn't alive when MU won their championship but was very fortunate to spend time around Al in his later years.  Not a ton of time by any means, but enough to discuss some things in-depth.  In those talks, and much more from reading about Al and those teams, it seemed like Al was a tough-as-nails guy...but his players knew he loved them and he supported the hell out of his players.  Doing so along racial and other lines, for self-serving purposes or not, was likely why he was so successful.  You let Bo Ellis design your jerseys, figure out ways for him to take classes off-campus, etc... and you can coach him in a tough manner, even fight with him, and know that the relationship is strong.  That person may even realize you are fighting with him out of love.  I certainly did so with my brothers, teammates, etc... 

I remember Buzz talking about the struggles of Todd Mayo and saying Todd hadn't been loved.  To me, that was Buzz saying, I'm being hard as hell on this kid because I love him, but letting him know it was out of love.  I get that a coach who wins is more valuable at the CBB level than one who gets along well with his players and loses, but I think most of the time the reality is coaches that win have strong relationships with their players. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #109 on: June 23, 2021, 01:04:22 PM »
I wasn't alive when MU won their championship but was very fortunate to spend time around Al in his later years.  Not a ton of time by any means, but enough to discuss some things in-depth.  In those talks, and much more from reading about Al and those teams, it seemed like Al was a tough-as-nails guy...but his players knew he loved them and he supported the hell out of his players.  Doing so along racial and other lines, for self-serving purposes or not, was likely why he was so successful.  You let Bo Ellis design your jerseys, figure out ways for him to take classes off-campus, etc... and you can coach him in a tough manner, even fight with him, and know that the relationship is strong.  That person may even realize you are fighting with him out of love.  I certainly did so with my brothers, teammates, etc... 

I remember Buzz talking about the struggles of Todd Mayo and saying Todd hadn't been loved.  To me, that was Buzz saying, I'm being hard as hell on this kid because I love him, but letting him know it was out of love.  I get that a coach who wins is more valuable at the CBB level than one who gets along well with his players and loses, but I think most of the time the reality is coaches that win have strong relationships with their players.

Great post, avid. Thanks.

I think Shaka shows a lot of that in his management style -- updated for the 2020s, of course -- and that's one big reason why I and so many others think he has a shot at success at Marquette.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 01:05:58 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2021, 01:22:58 PM »
Keep tellin' y'all, wee be hedin' fore civil war, hey?

You're smarter than this.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2021, 01:35:19 PM »

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #112 on: June 23, 2021, 01:40:50 PM »
But not wise

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #113 on: June 23, 2021, 01:45:22 PM »
“When someone shows you who they are believe them the first time.” - Maya Angelou
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #114 on: June 23, 2021, 01:46:04 PM »

Assuming facts not in evidence, counselor.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #115 on: June 23, 2021, 01:59:59 PM »
Great post, avid. Thanks.

I think Shaka shows a lot of that in his management style -- updated for the 2020s, of course -- and that's one big reason why I and so many others think he has a shot at success at Marquette.

If you see the transfer portal as some boogey man that just takes your kids, you're not going to be very successful in anything, much less, college basketball.  Al would have thrived today, just as I feel Shaka will.   
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #116 on: June 23, 2021, 02:01:37 PM »
Assuming facts not in evidence, counselor.

We both know that he is usually just playing a character.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #117 on: June 23, 2021, 02:06:53 PM »
Not really, he is more truthful by "playing the character" can say what he really means and then hide behind the character.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #118 on: June 23, 2021, 02:10:12 PM »
Not really, he is more truthful by "playing the character" can say what he really means and then hide behind the character.

When you realize that he is trolling half the time, you begin to understand him.

When he types out a long coherent paragraph that actually explains his views it's very obvious.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #119 on: June 23, 2021, 02:11:52 PM »
If you see the transfer portal as some boogey man that just takes your kids, you're not going to be very successful in anything, much less, college basketball.  Al would have thrived today, just as I feel Shaka will.

ding ding ding. Winner
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #120 on: June 23, 2021, 02:14:11 PM »
When you realize that he is trolling half the time, you begin to understand him.

When he types out a long coherent paragraph that actually explains his views it's very obvious.
If you believe this, then why were you calling out his post?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #121 on: June 23, 2021, 02:22:24 PM »

Maybe, but Al would have had to make a ton of adjustments.  So many so, that I think he would have rather not coached than coach the way is currently necessary.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #122 on: June 23, 2021, 02:24:33 PM »
If you believe this, then why were you calling out his post?

You got me there.  I fall for his traps just as often as everyone else around here.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #123 on: June 23, 2021, 02:32:33 PM »

Is he? I mean, I get that it's all schtick, but I don't think his character's musings are all that different from those of 4ever IRL. Just spelled worse.
If he's playing a character, it's a semi-autobiographical role.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #124 on: June 23, 2021, 02:57:50 PM »

LOL, whatever he is who he is. Uses pretend to shield his truth.