Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Nunn Visiting  (Read 66136 times)

Clam Crowder

• All American
Nunn Visiting
« on: June 11, 2012, 07:51:14 AM »
Being reported on Twitter that Nunn will be visiting today. Another 2013 recruit. If we are booked for 2013 and we are still recruiting is the logical thought that Otule won't get his 6th year? Or does Hiroshima still have legs to it?

GGGG

• All American
Re: Nunn Visiting
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 08:00:25 AM »
We have a long way to go before the Fall of 2013, and I think experience shows that rosters change a lot over 18 months.

**Have all 2012 players gotten through the clearinghouse?  My understanding is that TJ Taylor is on campus, but I don't think the other newcomers are.

**History shows that we will likely have transfers out after next season.

**Otule isn't official yet.

**All 2013 recruits have to qualify and McKay has to earn his associates degree.

Long way to go...

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 08:03:39 AM »
Being reported on Twitter that Nunn will be visiting today. Another 2013 recruit. If we are booked for 2013 and we are still recruiting is the logical thought that Otule won't get his 6th year? Or does Hiroshima still have legs to it?

Never stop recruiting. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 08:03:49 AM »
We have a long way to go before the Fall of 2013, and I think experience shows that rosters change a lot over 18 months.

**Have all 2012 players gotten through the clearinghouse?  My understanding is that TJ Taylor is on campus, but I don't think the other newcomers are.

**History shows that we will likely have transfers out after next season.

**Otule isn't official yet.

**All 2013 recruits have to qualify and McKay has to earn his associates degree.

Long way to go...

Thus, sayeth Buzz;

"You never stop recruiting."

Lloydmooreslegs beat me by that much.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 08:15:27 AM »
We are talking about 4 Highly sought players here, None of these guys have to wait for a scholarship to open. You have to think if something could be a big issue Buzz knows already. I would gladly take a Nunn commitment.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 08:34:09 AM »
I do not hink Hiroshma is over with yet. I think Otule would almost for sure be granted a 6th year. However, I think another injury and he is done or he may want to do a 5th year transfer like Lockett.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 09:06:52 AM »
We going to know by the end of the summer on Mayo?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 09:08:33 AM by Stone Cold »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 09:20:19 AM »
We going to know by the end of the summer on Mayo?

If he is here come fall semester then everything is OK.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 09:29:26 AM »
Looks like we've identified the really good player that Buzz had alluded to last week.  This would make the 2013 class perfection.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 09:34:57 AM »
Add Nunn to 2013 and it would be one special class. No doubt Buzz gets to bat with the right guys and very exciting.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 09:42:10 AM »
Nunn would obviously be a nice pick-up.  But I would really like to see us add some frontcourt size.  That will continue to be our weakness.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 09:45:10 AM »
There is no Hiroshima.  Buzz is loading up the roster.  

We need to start getting use to the idea that some players are going to be declaring for the draft early.  

Start expecting to see 1 early NBA entrant per season going forward.  

Mayo and/or Jamil Wilson could be playing their last year in an MU jersey if either takes their game to another level.  

The Stones, Nunns and Looneys of the world that we are trying to recruit could easily be 1 and done players.

Buzz knows what he is doing.  I for one am going to enjoy the ride.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 09:46:45 AM »
Nunn would obviously be a nice pick-up.  But I would really like to see us add some frontcourt size.  That will continue to be our weakness.

We added McKay.  Height isn't exactly the be all and end all.  Lengthy guys will wingspan, who know how to position themselves, will do the job just as well.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 09:49:55 AM »
Start expecting to see 1 early NBA entrant per season going forward.  

Mayo and/or Jamil Wilson could be playing their last year in an MU jersey if either takes their game to another level.  

What from last year did you see from Mayo that makes you think he is not only NBA talent, but early entry talent?  Jamil Wilson I think at least has a chance( a very small one) of maybe leaving early if he develops an awesome perimiterr shot, but Mayo I just don't see playing in the NBA period, let alone after this season.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 09:53:55 AM »
What from last year did you see from Mayo that makes you think he is not only NBA talent, but early entry talent?  Jamil Wilson I think at least has a chance( a very small one) of maybe leaving early if he develops an awesome perimiterr shot, but Mayo I just don't see playing in the NBA period, let alone after this season.

Exactly what I was thinking.  6'3" SG who averaged 7+ ppg, shot 33% from 3 and had more turnovers than assists doesn't exactly scream early entrant NBA.

THEultimateWARRIOR

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 10:09:11 AM »
Someone has transferred every year under Buzz. No reason to not try and get another top 50 commitment. We could get a Juco big in 2014 and also a highly rated center. Add Looney and were a big team. No need to panic about size. I bet he goes to UCLA though.

Mobot

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 10:10:29 AM »
Mayo has NBA athleticism, the ability to create his own shots, and no fear to take those shots with the game on the line.  Not to mention that he was one of our better defenders last year as a freshman.

He has NBA caliber talent, he just needs to develop NBA skills.  If he sticks around, he will get drafted.  Not sure about leaving early though, too early to tell.

QuetteHoops

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 10:16:01 AM »
Mayo has NBA athleticism, the ability to create his own shots, and no fear to take those shots with the game on the line.  Not to mention that he was one of our better defenders last year as a freshman.

He has NBA caliber talent, he just needs to develop NBA skills.  If he sticks around, he will get drafted.  Not sure about leaving early though, too early to tell.

There is the fact that he's 21 already which could play into his decision at the end of his junior year...I don't think he will leave for the NBA after this coming year though.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 10:21:29 AM »
I think, if they continue to work hard, both Mayo and Wilson will be pros. Whether they are good enough to go after this season does not mean much. Every year there are about 30 players who decide to go early that should not. I also think, if Mayo stays there is a chance that his brother pays his tuition. That is what Louisville does to free up scholarships.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 10:24:01 AM »
Assuming Nunn commits, I think Buzz is done recruiting guards for 2013, but I do think he will still try to sign one more power position player.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2012, 10:25:16 AM »
Wilson is a pro.

Mayo is not.
SS Marquette

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2012, 10:26:48 AM »

I never said Mayo had NBA talent.  Early NBA entrant doesn't mean lottery talent.  Players enter the NBA draft early ALL THE TIME.  Some get drafted early, some late, some not at all.  Some go overseas and earn a paycheck early because they just don't like doing the schoolwork.  

I thought his production was great early (especially for a freshmen) and very late in the year against good competition.  Don't let the middle of the season cloud your judgement of his ability.  He struggled mightily with his shot but he has a sweet J, has range and has the body.  He has more than enough short comings that say he is not NBA draft ready but again, that doesn't mean he won't try.

I expect him to take it to another level this year and be very productive.  

Is that enough to plant the seed of thought for leaving early?  Maybe.  Either way, I don't expect him to be at MU for all four seasons so getting back on point, I have no problems with Buzz continuing the recruit 2013 players even though our roster looks full.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2012, 10:30:46 AM »
Wilson is a pro.

Mayo is not.

In your eyes, Mayo is not an NBA talent.  I don't know, I am not a NBA talent evaluator as some of you claim to be, but he will be playing pro ball somewhere so if he gets paid to play, he will be a pro.   ;)

My guess is that it will be sooner than later.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2012, 10:52:08 AM »
In your eyes, Mayo is not an NBA talent.  I don't know, I am not a NBA talent evaluator as some of you claim to be, but he will be playing pro ball somewhere so if he gets paid to play, he will be a pro.   ;)

My guess is that it will be sooner than later.

Very well said. I don't know if Mayo will ever play in the league, but he definitely will get paid to play basketball. I believe he will play for Marquette in 2012-13. Beyond that, I consider anything we get from him to be gravy. Considering his age and pedigree, I don't expect him to play 4 years. That does not mean I think he will be drafted, but I do think he'll roll those dice before his 4 years are up.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2012, 10:55:06 AM »
Then I agree. Mayo will be a pro - if that means playing abroad for money.

He will get a sniff at camps because of the name and the game, but I think Wilson is more NBA than him.
SS Marquette

feedback