'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Disappointed in the Washington DC Alumni Association  (Read 1982 times)

WashDCWarrior

• All American
Disappointed in the Washington DC Alumni Association
« on: November 30, 2007, 02:51:50 PM »
for scheduling the MU-UW game-watching with the Wisconsin Alumni Association. I don't know what the thought process behind this was.  Maybe they are hoping to see a barfight.

http://www.alumni.marquette.edu/cgi-any/calendar_show.dll/display?id=1018&BID=12

Saturday December 8, 2007 at 4:00 PM
Event Name: Washington D.C. - MU vs. Wisconsin Game-Watching & Happy Hour!

Description: The Marquette Club of Washington, DC is excited to announce an exciting game-watching event!

Join the Marquette Club of Washington, DC

Along with

The Wisconsin Alumni Association, the Wisconsin State Society and the Wisconsin Bar Association

As Marquette and Wisconsin battle it out on the court!

Saturday, December 8th

Tip-off is at 6:00pm, but the newly renovated 3rd floor of the Crystal City Sports Pub will be open at 4:00pm for a special Marquette-Wisconsin happy hour!

As a special treat, the Crystal City Sports Pub will also have a special Wisconsin menu, including Leinie’s Sunset Wheat, cheese curds, brats and more!

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
Re: Disappointed in the Washington DC Alumni Association
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 02:56:38 PM »
It reminds me of my days in DC when I used to go watch the Bears vs. Packers and the bar would be full of both Bears and Packers fans.  Ugly...

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 02:57:50 PM »
I'm out in DC as well, and me and all of my friends had the exact same reaction as you.  we're not planning on going, because, win or lose, it's going to be a bad situation.  although, most people are probably adults, and will act as such.  I am not really one of those people...

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 03:03:11 PM »
I am not really one of those people...

agreed.. when Rowdy (Dallas Cowboys mascot) got in my face during last night's game by thumbing his nose at me and making other gestures I was tempted to pull off his fake head and use it as a beach ball in the stands.  I laughed it off and even kept the bird in its tightly clinched nest but generally speaking, within 2 hours before and after a game there's just too much temptation between opposing fans to over-react to even the smallest things.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 03:08:51 PM »
we're not planning on going, because, win or lose, it's going to be a bad situation.

Neither is anyone I know.  My guess is they'll rethink for next season after a poor showing next Saturday.  If I hear of an Option B, I'll post it.

MU_Grad02

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 03:13:48 PM »
yeah, i'm in dc and that was my first reaction.  they send emails about it every other day too and every time i get one, i have the same reaction- "why the hell would i want to watch the game with badger fans?!?  it's just asking for an ugly situation."  i mean, why dont we schedule a party with the louisville alumni association to watch the mu v. louisville game too then??  the whole thing makes no sense.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 03:40:29 PM »
The Denver one has been a MU / UW mixer for the past few years.  No rowdiness, and not a bad time, but also not as cool as if it were *just* an MU thing.

Carl Spackler

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 09:20:10 PM »
Totally agree with you DC boys.  I went to the event last year and there were plenty of MU fans to have a good crowd for the game.  I have no desire to watch the game with the Reds.  and my wife doesnt want me getting in any fights.  If anyone would want to have an alternative MU watching group at the grand slam bar where they had it last year, I would be interested.