[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Siren: Bob Ryan says Kentucky AD wants Crean  (Read 4451 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Siren: Bob Ryan says Kentucky AD wants Crean
« on: March 28, 2007, 01:04:03 PM »
Put the story up on the blog....

MilTown

• Team Captain
Re: Siren: Bob Ryan says Kentucky AD wants Crean
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 01:10:57 PM »
How much loot will they throw at him?? 2.5 +++  ?? I have a bad feeling about this. Even with the pressure that comes with the job, I don't see how TC can turn it down. I don't always agree with TC or the way he operates, but this would be a tremendous loss for MU.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 01:14:24 PM by MilTown »

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 01:51:41 PM »
How am I supposed to believe a story from Bob Ryan when it didn't include Bill Russell, the Boston Red Sox or Chowda? 

Did he add that anyone's spouse's should be smacked and beaten? 

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 01:56:54 PM »
There is a poster on one of the Kentucky boards that seems to be giving daily updates and the rest of the fans seem to give him a lot of credibility. It's interesting to read it unfolding from start to finish but the important info is that he said Crean was eliminated from consideration 2 days ago.

A lot of what he has written has indeed come true.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=48#S=48&F=1030&T=293451&P=1&STM=0

MUCHI814

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 02:41:19 PM »
I just can't see Donovan going to Kentucky, it just doesn't make much sense

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 02:47:32 PM »
I just can't see Donovan going to Kentucky, it just doesn't make much sense

I can, for a number reasons.

1) UF football school
2) Urban Meyer will force Bball coaches' salary to have a ceiling
3) UF's academic requirements tougher than Kentucky by a mile
4) Tradition, history, etc

I can also list a number of reasons why he wouldn't take it

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 02:51:07 PM »
The only reason I put this rumor on the blog was the Bob Ryan factor.  Many people don't like him, but let's just say I tend to believe he has a bit more credibility than say a Gery Woelfel.

;)

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 02:56:43 PM »
I'm not worried.
A couple of our local experts tell me Kentukcy has no interest whatsoever and Crean has no shot at getting an offer.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 02:59:56 PM »
It's an interesting point, that's for sure. I do think, however, that the fans/alumni/boosters will win out at KY, otherwise, the A.D. will be out of a job.

If Florida wins the title on Monday, what more will Donovan have to prove at UF? I can see him bolting.

I say that, though, like everything else...for EVERY candidate out there, I can see just as big of a reason for someone to turn down KY. "Tradition" isn't as valuable as it used to be in college sports. Part of that is the enormous cash thrown around everywhere, part of it is so many BCS-conference games are nationally televised these days, and part of it is the un-wanted/un-needed pressure.

Again, it takes the right ego.

Notre Dame football couldn't give that job away until an egomaniacal freak in Weis was contacted. He's the perfect guy for that job (and he was like the 10th option on their interview list).

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 03:03:27 PM »
I'm not worried.
A couple of our local experts tell me Kentukcy has no interest whatsoever and Crean has no shot at getting an offer.

"Local experts"? Are you talking about Milwaukee people? I don't see anyone in the Milwaukee media who would have any juice on the national scene to know what is going on at UK.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 03:04:46 PM »
There is a poster on one of the Kentucky boards that seems to be giving daily updates and the rest of the fans seem to give him a lot of credibility. It's interesting to read it unfolding from start to finish but the important info is that he said Crean was eliminated from consideration 2 days ago.

A lot of what he has written has indeed come true.

There's so much crap out there, that it's impossible to know who is for real and who is just stringing the KY faithful along.  That said, for some reason, he does seem more legit than any of the other anonymous experts I've seen.  Still, my money is on him being a fake.

Assuming, for the sake of argument, that he is real, I wish he'd say whether Crean's name was dropped from consideration because KY lost interest or because Crean did.  Here's what he said:

now i'll share with you one more name that has been dropped from mb's further consideration....tom crean will not be the next head coach at uk....despite what pat forde, fred cowgill, and all the other talking heads in the media say...i wouldn't be surprised to read a statement from crean in the next few days saying he is perfectly happy at m.u......

Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 07:24:00 AM »
Just a bit of an interesting (my opinion) follow-up on this Headwaters2 thread over at the Kentucky Scout site.  On page seven of the thread, a guy named Bret Bearup vouches for the information being provided by Headwaters.  I personally had never heard of Bret Bearup, but apparently he's a former Kentucky player and a pretty big deal in college basketball. And, apparently he's good friends with Billy Donovan.  One of the moderators unequivocally vouches that the Bearup poster is definitely legit.  The moderator also explains that Bearup has said on the premium board (which I haven't seen) that he doesn't know what Donovan is going to do.

Getting back to the reason this is interesting to me:  Headwaters said Crean was eliminated from consideration at Kentucky.  If he is a legit source, that should ease our worries somewhat.

Edited to add:  When I posted the link to that article on Bearup, I didn't realize how old it was.  Obviously, it's old, but that doesn't change the fact that Bearup apparently is a pretty heavy hitter in college and pro basketball circles.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 09:08:33 AM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Rockmic87

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 08:38:30 AM »
Crean is in a great situation right now...if he takes the Job he will be under alot of pressure, but maybe the KU fans will be easier on him since he is white. But he will have to pick up his slack on recruiting, especially getting big men!

Coach Norman Dale

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 08:53:43 AM »
I used to be somewaht involved in what Bob Gibbons refers to in the Pat Forde article as "the process".  And, as a result, I was in occasional contact with Bret Bearup.  He comes across as a very friendly, confident, not cocky, guy, and who can small talk with anyone, will buy drinks dinner, etc., as if you were a long lost relative.

His style is successful and he seems very loyal, so it comes as no surprise that those not in his circle are disgruntled.

One other thing, Bearup tells a story about his college recruitment that still makes me smile.  He was recruited by a young Jim Valvano when he was coaching at Iona College.  Jimmy V's first words to Bret were "Jim Valvano, Iona College."  Bearup's response "Gee, you seem kind of young to own a college."

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007, 10:26:46 AM »
but let's just say I tend to believe he has a bit more credibility than say a Gery Woelfel.
 ;)

The Iraqi Information Minister during the invasion had more credibility than Gery Woelfel.  ;D

DAtruth

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2007, 10:49:04 AM »
aka...iraqi minister of disinformation.."we are turning them away, they are running"   u.s. tanks clearly in the background..that was some of the funniest stuff i have ever seen

feedback