[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 09:15:16 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Vander to the NBA draft  (Read 70948 times)

wojosdojo

• All American
Re: Vander to the NBA draft
« Reply #450 on: April 16, 2013, 02:05:33 PM »
What are the chances he pulls a McNeal and comes back?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #451 on: April 16, 2013, 02:08:34 PM »
What are the chances he pulls a McNeal and comes back?

You mean James? It depends. I've heard he's hired an agent, and if that's the case, he's gone. Once you hire an agent it's over. But if he has merely said he's going and not submitted the paperwork, he has until April 28th to do so (pretty sure that's the date).
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #452 on: April 16, 2013, 02:09:15 PM »
And yet the same mocks have him as a first-rounder in next year's deeper draft? Mmmmmmmmmmright. SB Nation says he's a late first round pick. Chad Ford said today he's either a late first rounder or a value in the early second.

source?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #453 on: April 16, 2013, 02:12:49 PM »
You mean James? It depends. I've heard he's hired an agent, and if that's the case, he's gone. Once you hire an agent it's over. But if he has merely said he's going and not submitted the paperwork, he has until April 28th to do so (pretty sure that's the date).

Pretty sure McNeal tested the waters after junior year, got feeback, then came back for a stellar senior year.  Too bad that same route isn't available anymore.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #454 on: April 16, 2013, 02:15:11 PM »

I believe he only has until 11:59 tonight if he hasn't hired an agent. You have until the 28th to declare, but today is the cutoff for pulling out and retaining your eligibility.

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #455 on: April 16, 2013, 02:15:16 PM »
Yes. McNeal said he was going and came back (didn't hire agent, obviously). Hope something magical can happen with Van.. Although that sounds pretty selfish.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #456 on: April 16, 2013, 02:18:57 PM »
And yet the same mocks have him as a first-rounder in next year's deeper draft? Mmmmmmmmmmright. SB Nation says he's a late first round pick. Chad Ford said today he's either a late first rounder or a value in the early second.

Ford said he's a second rounder that might sneak into the first

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #457 on: April 16, 2013, 02:23:24 PM »

It's one of the questions I posed to the head of DraftExpress...will have conclusive answer tonight.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #458 on: April 16, 2013, 02:53:22 PM »
Ford said he's a second rounder that might sneak into the first

That's right...mixed my articles. Anyway...

Quote from: SB Nation
As is, Blue is considered a late first-rounder, or if a team is lucky, an early second-rounder.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/4/16/4230346/vander-blue-nba-draft-marquette

Quote from: Chad Ford
Vander Blue, G, Jr. Marquette

Blue had a breakout season as a junior, averaging 14.8 PPG. He is a terrific athlete who can guard multiple positions and exudes the sort of toughness we've come to expect from Marquette players. He's coming off a strong NCAA tournament run that helped carry Marquette to the Elite Eight. However, he still lacks a consistent perimeter jumper and is considered undersized for a 2-guard. Most likely, he's a second-round pick. But some scouts project him as a big point guard, so there's a chance he sneaks into the first round.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2013/story/_/page/InOut-2013/2013-nba-draft-list
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #459 on: April 16, 2013, 03:10:32 PM »
No, he hasn't, but I think that saying any talk of him going is "nonsense" and calling for people to "officially stop this Vander to the NBA stuff" and deal with reality goes well beyond questioning the efficacy of his declaring.

As Goodman, mock drafts, ESPN, and others have said today....they are all surprised because it's a head scratcher.  In my view, it's nonsense and I think he's making a poor decision.  Looks like I'm hardly alone based on what many in the press are writing today.  I hope to be proven wrong, but you are right, I didn't factor in someone thinking they are better than they are and leaving despite what seems to be the correct decision. I think he's a sure fire draft pick in 2014, I hope I am proven wrong and he made the right decision.  Otherwise, nonsensical. 

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #460 on: April 16, 2013, 03:12:18 PM »
Van reminds me a little of Tony Wroten. Wroten is only slightly taller than Van and had an atrocious 16.1% 3pt % in his 1 year at UW. He has Vander in speed and is slightly more athletic but I think the two compare well.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #461 on: April 16, 2013, 03:12:56 PM »
Is it possible the mock drafts don't include Vander because they saw no chance of him declaring?

That's exactly what I was thinking, because he had already been relegated to the 2014 mocks instead.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #462 on: April 16, 2013, 03:20:01 PM »
I think he's a sure fire draft pick in 2014, I hope I am proven wrong and he made the right decision.  Otherwise, nonsensical. 

I think most of the 2014 mocks expect him to improve at least a little. But what if he doesn't? Not saying he gets worse, but what if this, right now, is the peak of his abilities? Wouldn't those same mocks (and i'd have to assume, your opinion as well) would change and not have him drafted very high, if at all? Especially since next year's draft is much tougher.

I'm not saying him going this year is necessarily the right decision, for him or certainly MU, but if this is as good as it gets for him, aren't his chances better this year?

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #463 on: April 16, 2013, 03:30:11 PM »
This was a very risky decision for him to make. Hopefully it works out for him. Unfortunately, next year's outlook isn't as bright as it once looked. Still expect us to be able to get to where we were this year, next year.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #464 on: April 16, 2013, 03:39:41 PM »
RT means he was retweeting what the person said to him. Last night, PT tweeted that it was possible not all the dominoes had fallen regarding the roster. The person wanted to know if Blue's declaration was what PT was talking about and that was a confirmation that yes, Blue to the NBA was what they were predicting last night.

Thanks!  I was at the gym.  I posted PT's tweet last night about one more domino falling.  I am just hoping the exit of players is done (hopefully Jamil stays) and we get some great news about a player or two we are going to get.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #465 on: April 16, 2013, 03:41:28 PM »

OK, so interesting discussion with a friend of mine at DraftExpress.  They put people in their mock that they believe are coming out or there is any possibility of him coming out based on feedback from GMs, etc.  They did not think Vander was coming out and neither did the GMs they spoke to, that's why he wasn't in their mock.  I asked him if it was fair to say he was surprised and the answer was YES.  Consistent with what some of Hunt's sources and others in the media have said.

So, they might still ultimately put him in this mock draft for 2013, but they did not anticipate him coming out which is why he wasn't in this year's mock.  They concentrate on who they know is coming out or who is widely considered to come out....thus why so much surprise from so many that he has put his hat in the ring.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #466 on: April 16, 2013, 03:46:25 PM »
Who's Derrick Anderson? More journalistic brilliance from the ever lazy JS Beat writer.

SHHHHH! He is Buzz's secret weapon..... ::)
Goal is National Championship

nyg

• All American
« Reply #467 on: April 16, 2013, 04:03:21 PM »
OK, so interesting discussion with a friend of mine at DraftExpress.  They put people in their mock that they believe are coming out or there is any possibility of him coming out based on feedback from GMs, etc.  They did not think Vander was coming out and neither did the GMs they spoke to, that's why he wasn't in their mock.  I asked him if it was fair to say he was surprised and the answer was YES.  Consistent with what some of Hunt's sources and others in the media have said.

So, they might still ultimately put him in this mock draft for 2013, but they did not anticipate him coming out which is why he wasn't in this year's mock.  They concentrate on who they know is coming out or who is widely considered to come out....thus why so much surprise from so many that he has put his hat in the ring.

Well now they know he is coming out and can't wait until their updated mock.  They are the best mock draft around. 

wrk5923

• Walk-On
« Reply #468 on: April 16, 2013, 04:07:45 PM »
Just here to say I told ya'll,

and I hope Vander does well in the NBA.

WRK5923's bold prediction: Vander goes Late 1st round.

You heard it here first, just like the Vander declaring news!

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #469 on: April 16, 2013, 04:11:32 PM »

Exactly why I thought he wasn't on 2013 drafts, because nobody thought he was coming out. Good to here this though from your DraftExpress source.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #470 on: April 16, 2013, 04:13:56 PM »
WRK92, WRK922, WRK5923 and whatever,  Good call and I eat crow for your first posts.

If prediction #2 is correct, I eat it again.  But, thats a bold prediction.  Good work. 

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #471 on: April 16, 2013, 04:21:48 PM »

I second that bold prediction. And yes I thought you were trolling as well but it seems you actually did know something others didn't.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 04:35:36 PM by MUFanatic4Life »

Eldon

• All American
Re: Vander to the NBA
« Reply #472 on: April 16, 2013, 04:23:41 PM »
Buzz was probably like "give him the stick.. DON'T GIVE HIM THE STICK!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWWbPb7-ZnQ

LOL! This is by far my favorite one.

Is that supposed to be Blue saying "you're not my dad" at the end?

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #473 on: April 16, 2013, 04:24:41 PM »

Are you saying that your prediction is figuratively bold or merely pointing out that it is literally bold?

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #474 on: April 16, 2013, 04:29:55 PM »
Buzz says he might look for another freshman to bring in, might not be worth it as all top 100 recruits are committed, unless we can somehow get the number one recruit at the last minute...

feedback