[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 09:15:16 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Vander to the NBA draft  (Read 70950 times)

Golden Avalanche

• All American
Re: Vander to the NBA draft
« Reply #325 on: April 16, 2013, 09:11:53 AM »
Haha you guys seem so shocked and upset. I told all of you MONTHS ago that he was entering the draft. That's the only reason JJJ signed!! And for all you Vander Blue haters he will get drafted and have a career in the NBA! It's all about potential and Vander has tons of it at only 20 YEARS OLD. That's what he has going for him and it mean a lot to NBA scouts. Good move Vander!

You were 100% correct regarding JJJ signing with Vander leaving.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #326 on: April 16, 2013, 09:12:02 AM »
Anyone who says he should have stayed doesn't realize how weak this years draft is, and that Vander's stock is as high as it will probably get without a MONSTER senior year.

Good luck to him.

So all the draft experts that say he is a first rounder next year are wrong.....apparently.....and apparently they don't realize how weak this years draft is....apparently

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #327 on: April 16, 2013, 09:13:13 AM »
https://twitter.com/SethDavisHoops/status/324159959405305858

"Rough break 4 Marquette as Vander Blue will enter draft and sign w agent. Borderline prospect but prob wouldn't boost stock if he came back."

At least one analyst doesn't believe another year would help any. I wonder if this was the info he was getting from sources. Makes sense to go, if so.

That's where I am at in that he's a borderline prospect and another year won't hurt or improve him. It's blues decision and he had to decide what's best for him, but if it was me I would take another year to play close to my family, make a huge run, boost my name brand for European teams and get a degree over risky draft right now. Then again, draft express had him as high as 23 in 14 so maybe he is a first rounder?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #328 on: April 16, 2013, 09:13:22 AM »
So because it wasn't in the quote you think he didn't talk to Buzz? Marquette put feelers in to the NBA a week ago. I have no doubt that Blue consulted with Buzz and they took into account what the NBA committee was saying. I don't believe he leaves without feeling confident he'll be drafted.
Ok that makes more sense. I'm live very far from Milwaukee and had not really seen anything about "...feelers to NBA..." I know he is only 20 but the way he spoke he made it look like it was more of him deciding with his family.
Goal is National Championship

CAGASS24

• All American
Re: [PaintTouches]Blue forgoes senior year, enters NBA draft
« Reply #329 on: April 16, 2013, 09:13:24 AM »
Mark me down as someone who thinks this is a huge plus for our program.

While I do think we would have been a better team in 2013-14 with Van (and Juan FWIW), I fully embrace the team's culture of next man up.  Let's face it, this was a better 'team' than last year's with Jae and DJO, and those guys were both better than Van.  And all signs point to having more in the incoming players as a whole than this year's team and I don't think it out of line to say that we could have as much success next year without Van as with him.

I think Mayo takes the next step (not much to couch that opinion in other than I know the talent is there) and we are really set at all the other positions on the team.

Bottom line is this is what prospects want to see, a chance to go to the NBA, and seeing a guy go early is even more to like.  Obviously every fan would like to see all players stay for four years and reach the maximum development for their team.  But thats just not how it is in today's college game.  

This is just one more sign of Marq trending to elite program status.

And for the folks all bent out of shape of "the reason why these kids go to college", its in part to prepare them for a professional career, whatever that career is.  In this case, for Van, its basketball.  I don't think anyone would argue Marq hasnt done that, with considerable work on his part.  If someone offered some computer IT genius who was a junior a mulit million dollar job in the corp world and their left their junior year, would you think differently about their decision and Marq's role in shaping that person for the future?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 09:43:21 AM by CAGASS24 »

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #330 on: April 16, 2013, 09:14:36 AM »
Good luck Vander, it was exciting in the tourney in your 3 years with MU.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #331 on: April 16, 2013, 09:15:44 AM »
Yes, this is a huge plus ... Only if he gets drafted and paid.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #332 on: April 16, 2013, 09:15:56 AM »
I hope his passport is current.
Have some patience, FFS.

MUWarrior11

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #333 on: April 16, 2013, 09:16:56 AM »
For once I'll play the role of optomist...

This isn't end of the world. Obviously Vander is VERY talented and proved himself as leader. But this is what Buzz does- he reloads, he overcomes. We've got loads of talent coming in. This gives Jamil a chance to step into a huge role. More minutes for Todd, too. We'll be fine. But I REALLY hope Jamil doesn't leave, as (like many) I anticipate the elusive breakout year for him to finally happen next year. Losing Jamil would be awful. Losing Vander is surmountable.

With all that being said-- good for you, Van! Hope you get the a shot at it and keep improving!

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
« Reply #334 on: April 16, 2013, 09:18:04 AM »
I hope Vander updated his passport.
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #335 on: April 16, 2013, 09:18:12 AM »
Personally, I don't think teams will give a rats ass about his shooting at this point.

What they will like to see is that it improved (meaning it will likely continue to improve esp with pro coaches).  What they do care about are the things you can't teach, his speed, athleticism, and "clutch-ness".  If I were an NBA scout and saw him win the St Johns game and the Davidson game, as long as I'm okay with his height, I'm all over him.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 09:43:50 AM by CAGASS24 »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #336 on: April 16, 2013, 09:18:24 AM »
So all the draft experts that say he is a first rounder next year are wrong.....apparently.....and apparently they don't realize how weak this years draft is....apparently

All the draft experts are anticipating that his numbers don't drop off next year.

Always play the safe card in this situation.

Abode4life

• Team Captain
« Reply #337 on: April 16, 2013, 09:18:55 AM »
Prospects want to see other players get into the league and then succeed.  Granted time will tell, but definitely not a plus for the program now.  

Also, now we can have the possibility of 7 new additions to the roster?  That can mean it will take us a very long time to gel.

MUCrew

• All American
Re: Vander to the NBA
« Reply #338 on: April 16, 2013, 09:19:43 AM »
Huh??? He's a shooting guard who can't shoot. That's the reality.

Hope he proves you wrong. His FG% has improved each year.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #339 on: April 16, 2013, 09:20:07 AM »
All the draft experts are anticipating that his numbers don't drop off next year.

That's far different than what you said earlier.  There's a reason why the draft experts think he is a first rounder next year and undrafted this year.  I hope they are wrong and he makes it.

4th and State

• Starter
« Reply #340 on: April 16, 2013, 09:20:17 AM »

So you think Vander leaving now is playing the "safe" card??

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #341 on: April 16, 2013, 09:21:29 AM »

The "safe card" isn't very safe

nyg

• All American
« Reply #342 on: April 16, 2013, 09:22:57 AM »
So you think Vander leaving now is playing the "safe" card??

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2013/

Does anyone actually believe Vander will jump any of these players and get into first round.  This is just one of many mock drafts for 2013 and don't see it happening.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #343 on: April 16, 2013, 09:22:57 AM »

That's far different than what you said earlier.  There's a reason why the draft experts think he is a first rounder next year and undrafted this year.  I hope they are wrong and he makes it.

Yes, there is. Because they didn't have him declaring this year. You don't pick a guy to get drafted this year and next year, that's just silly. Vander will be drafted. Honestly, I think he'll be a late first round pick, but I have no doubt he will be drafted.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #344 on: April 16, 2013, 09:23:26 AM »
Sure it is.  Do you guys really think that Blue would just declare for the draft on a whim?  Really?  He has been told that he will get drafted.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #345 on: April 16, 2013, 09:24:12 AM »
Yes, there is. Because they didn't have him declaring this year. You don't pick a guy to get drafted this year and next year, that's just silly. Vander will be drafted. Honestly, I think he'll be a late first round pick, but I have no doubt he will be drafted.
+1

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
« Reply #346 on: April 16, 2013, 09:24:17 AM »
Season   GP   MPG   PPG   FG%   3FG%   FT%   APG   RPG   BPG   SPG
2012-13   34   33.0   14.8   45.4   30.3   75.6   1.8   3.2   0.0   1.1
2011-12   35   25.7   8.4   41.3   25.8   70.8   2.6   4.5   0.2   1.1
2010-11   37   19.0   5.1   39.4   16.0   60.8   1.6   2.8   0.2   0.9
    Career   106   25.7   9.3   42.9   27.6   70.4   2.0   3.5   0.1   1.0

9 pts per game and 3 rebounds per game to go along with 2 assists. He's not going to see a minute of NBA playing time.
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

augoman

• All American
« Reply #347 on: April 16, 2013, 09:24:20 AM »
in most things timing is of the essence..., I believe Van would greatly benefit from returning for another year.  He now has the eye of the basketball world, is a known commodity.  His stage next year could not be bigger.  He had an opportunity to earn a huge contract.  Instead, he is limping into the NBA, or not.  Obviously, I don't know his family situation.  Hardship may be creating a necessity.  Either way, I wish him the best of luck, and am grateful to have been able to watch him play at Marquette.  This past year he truly was a Warrior.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #348 on: April 16, 2013, 09:25:03 AM »

Yeah, that makes some sense as his scoring may likely drop a bit. Hope he's hearing 1st round, cause anything other than that will make his senior yr a missed opportunity.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

4th and State

• Starter
« Reply #349 on: April 16, 2013, 09:25:26 AM »
Sure it is.  Do you guys really think that Blue would just declare for the draft on a whim?  Really?  He has been told that he will get drafted.

But drafted where?  Safe would be getting your degree, improving this year and then going.  Nothing is guaranteed for Vander right now. Nothing.