[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: G, how did MU do that?  (Read 24619 times)

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
Re: G, how did MU do that?
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2017, 06:43:19 PM »
Brutal to watch. Georgetown is horrible. Not much positives from this game, IMO. MU will need far better performances than today to post a BE winning record.

Agree with this too
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2017, 06:43:36 PM »
Can’t believe how upset some are with this performance.
and yet, some would claim, there is no Wojo bias and no entitlement in our fan base

mug644

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2017, 06:46:51 PM »
I most liked MU's efforts on the boards. They were active on both ends of the court. Didn't always end up with the ball, and committed some fouls, but they were after it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2017, 06:47:32 PM »
38-29 G-town on the boards.  It didn't seem that bad watching it.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2017, 06:48:38 PM »
Brutal to watch. Georgetown is horrible. Not much positives from this game, IMO. MU will need far better performances than today to post a BE winning record.
I think G is better than they showed today. I agree with you as poorly as G played MU should have won by 30, but it still counts as a W.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2017, 06:50:30 PM »
38-29 G-town on the boards.  It didn't seem that bad watching it.
it's hard to believe that. I would have guessed the other way around

Goose

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2017, 06:51:08 PM »
No Wojo bias from me. Ugly game and GU is horrible.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2017, 06:56:19 PM »
Couldn’t agree more. Game had no flow or continuity. Sometimes, I think, the refs just want to make the game about them and not the players.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2017, 06:57:46 PM »
Chick, I'm impressed. Totally missed that.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2017, 06:58:51 PM »
Couldn’t agree more. Game had no flow or continuity. Sometimes, I think, the refs just want to make the game about them and not the players.

This happened at a game I was at last night. A ref stopped the game with one second left to have security throw out a fan.

Anyways, a win is a win.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2017, 07:07:58 PM »
Come on people, we won!

Yep, Don't discount the power of a win.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Slim

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2017, 07:11:10 PM »
Really impressed with Sacar today - powerful and athletic. His good game kept GE on the bench some. I don’t remember wojo playing Sacar and Cain together like he did today.

I sensed Marcus turning the corner in the second half. I think he will be back to himself very soon.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2017, 07:19:58 PM »
1.   Holy cow, MU played physical basketball and competed on the boards.   
2.  Maybe it isn't time to anoint Harry just yet.    Heldt played very well today.   Except that missed lay up. 
3.   Sacar filled a stat sheet today.   A shame he didn't work on free throws in his red shirt year. 
4.  Cain is playing the best of the newcomers.   He is so thin, you forget he is 6'7.   When he plays next to Sam, MU isn't so undersized.
5.  Markus is in some kind of slump.   A sophomore.   Hmmmm.   Not quite as bad as Haani and he is going to have to play through it, as there are no other options. 
6.   Rowsey is not in any kind of slump. 
7.  Theo really CAN get called for a foul for being in the area. 
8.  25 turnovers for Georgetown.   A bacon saver.   At least some of them can be attributed to (gasp) Marquette's defense.    And some were just careless.     
9.  The Big East is just plain ridiculous this year.   No nights off.   Hell, some might view MU as their night off.   
10.   So take it and run.

1. Outrebounded 38-29, we made less than 30% of our 2 point shots (none in the 2nd half) - I'd say we were pretty much manhandled physically.
2. Froling was bad, Heldt was OK, but not (IMO) "very good".
3. Sacar was good - he didn't "fill" the stat sheet, but had a solid "triple single".
4. Agree.
5. No comparison between Markus and Haanif works for me. Markus will be (my opinion) OK.
6. Rowsey was awesome.
7. Agree, but he commits dumb fouls, too.
8. We forced some, they committed many.
9. The Big East bottom feeders (Georgetown and DePaul) are a little better than usual but the top (after "Nova) is a little worse (Xavier a bit overrated IMO). The rest is solid but not great.
10. Always.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2017, 07:21:34 PM »
Chick, I'm impressed. Totally missed that.

Actually, credit goes to Homer's Marquette intern (also a chick, BTW) , who brought it to his attention. I was just passing along the info.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 08:36:43 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2017, 07:34:48 PM »
tower, do you take notes throughout each game for these posts and prepare them or just whip it up quickly after each game?  just curious.

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2017, 07:36:57 PM »
tower, do you take notes throughout each game for these posts and prepare them or just whip it up quickly after each game?  just curious.

He must have 2 versions in close games where he's ready to fire shortly after the ending

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2017, 07:37:46 PM »
and yet, some would claim, there is no Wojo bias and no entitlement in our fan base

I think Wojo's coaching was fine, but our play (with the exception of Rowsey and, to some extent, Sacar and Cain) was lousy. Fortunately Georgetown was lousy, too. What does pointing out the obvious have to do with bias or entitlement?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2017, 07:47:31 PM »
I think this is a good time for a road trip.  I think they need to mix it up a little.

Patrick Ewing takes a very NBA-like approach to his coaching job.  Not sure if it's going to work but it's different.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2017, 07:53:03 PM »
Sultan

Curious, how do you know Ewing brings NBA approach to his coaching style?

I am not sure that Ewing should be coaching a grade school team, let alone a D1 program. Laughed out loud when sidekick Louis Orr was praised by Dickey. I would take Brian Wardle and Tony Barone over those two guys.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2017, 07:54:18 PM »
it's hard to believe that. I would have guessed the other way around

Not surprising. With georgetown’s 25 TOs they didn’t shoot the ball as much. MU shot the ball 9 more times. Give that most rebounds go to the defense it doesn’t surprise me that MU was outrebounded by nine.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2017, 07:56:34 PM »
It’s a long season boys(and girl).  If we would have lost this one, the season would have gotten longer.  I hope the players get something from every game and learn from it and improve upon it.  There are going to be some stink bombs.  For us to have a successful season, everything is going to have to come together-unexpected players picking it up, minimal injuries, refs staying out of the way, etc etc.  When someone is down, someone is going to have to pick it up. 

So far, I think we’ve shown promise.  Moments of  hey, maybe we’ve got something here.  Take the win-there are going to be games where we play very well and lose-take the good with the ugly.  Next up, a tough road game at providence-need to play better than today, but we can do this
don't...don't don't don't don't

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2017, 07:58:56 PM »
I think this is a good time for a road trip.  I think they need to mix it up a little.

Patrick Ewing takes a very NBA-like approach to his coaching job.  Not sure if it's going to work but it's different.
in what way? I sure hope for their sake he can recruit because damn.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2017, 08:00:19 PM »
I will usually start after the last media timeout.  Not today, though.  I whipped this one out after the game finished.  No notes.  Don't need them.  Rarely will you see stats in the initial post.  And I have only done two versions one time.  Last year's Nova game.  The big finish required two threads.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2017, 08:08:45 PM »
Sultan

Curious, how do you know Ewing brings NBA approach to his coaching style?

I am not sure that Ewing should be coaching a grade school team, let alone a D1 program. Laughed out loud when sidekick Louis Orr was praised by Dickey. I would take Brian Wardle and Tony Barone over those two guys.

From things like how he runs his huddles, where the assistants are doing most of the actual Xs and Os, to not fouling at the end of the game.

I'm not saying it's effective.  Just a different approach.  I think the jury is WAY out on him at this point.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2017, 08:09:16 PM »
All I’ve learned in this thread is MU only gets the easy turnovers.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter