[Today at 10:37:13 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Jay Bee
[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Derrick Wilson Questionable for tOSU  (Read 24849 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Derrick Wilson Questionable for tOSU
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2014, 06:48:44 PM »
Do you understand the concept of Opportunity Cost? Clearly not.

I am well aware of what opportunity cost is. I'm also aware that despite this "opportunity cost" two coaches in a row have chosen Derrick over Dawson.

I've also explained ad naseum why it is totally and completely plausible at this stage of the season as to why Wojo would be riding Derrick...incumbent, experience, captain, high character, good defender - yet those traits don't necessarily mean nor translate into being the best option for those minutes.  It's still obviously very early and Wojo has to sort all of this out.

So what you are saying is, that because of multiple factors including Derrick's experience, leadership, and defense that Wojo thinks Derrick is the better option? Seems pretty legit to me. I bet Buzz thought the same thing too.

It is still early. I hope that John Dawson comes out and lights the world on fire tomorrow. I would love for that to happen and I will happily admit that I was wrong about my predictions for PG playing time this season. I know what threshold I would need to see for me to change my mind about this topic. Do you? How good does Derrick have to be or how bad does Dawson have to be for you to admit you were wrong? I am not saying you are, because its too early for that. I'm just curious what proof you would need in order for you to change your mind?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2014, 07:21:19 PM »
As always it is so much fun to talk about one player rather than our team. Hey, let's face it, wouldn't it be more fun to talk about a team name change, new uniforms, the possibility of a new arena or some other lame topic? Folks the "Derrick Horse" has been beaten to death, please give it a rest.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2014, 07:23:28 PM »
There is absolutely no way that Wojo would "roll with Derrick" if he was so bad that the team is better off with him getting zero minutes.  Even if Derrick averages 10 minutes a game in January, your assessment of DeWill and Wojo's will be worlds apart.  You think the team is better with him getting zero minutes.  That equates to walk-on ability.  I find it hard to believe that two high major D1 coaches think a player that bad deserves 10 mins or more a game.

I wouldn't have an issue with Derrick getting 10 minutes and have said that many times.  My assessment of Derrick and in turn Wojo - will be WAY wrong if Derrick ends up getting 20+ per night by mid January.  And as for Buzz last year - 30+ minutes was ridiculous.  Particularly when the team kept losing and Derrick wasn't improving and in many ways regressing.

My issue is if Derrick plays more than 10 per game - those other minutes come at the expense of other more talented guys...whether that be Carlino or Duane (this isn't/nor does it have to be about Dawson.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MU82

• All American
« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2014, 07:24:36 PM »
How good does Derrick have to be or how bad does Dawson have to be for you to admit you were wrong?

You're asking a lot.

Mr. Basketball Knowledge won't even admit he was wrong about saying it's a good thing to only have 8 players -- many of them young, unproven and untested -- for a road game against a top-20 team, especially given that Marquette's new coach wants to run and press.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2014, 07:26:29 PM »
As always it is so much fun to talk about one player rather than our team. Hey, let's face it, wouldn't it be more fun to talk about a team name change, new uniforms, the possibility of a new arena or some other lame topic? Folks the "Derrick Horse" has been beaten to death, please give it a rest.

Impossible with Ners on this board. The minute Derrick gets mentioned in any thread for nearly any reason, Ners will take the opportunity to remind everybody how bad he thinks he is. I know we could all ignore that, but his criticism of Ners is so over the top that many, myself included, get baited into defending him.

I wish I could tell you that I won't keep engaging Ners on this topic, but I just can't help it.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2014, 07:28:18 PM »
Here's a different question to ponder. If marquette wins somehow, does the praise go to Wojo or the players?

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2014, 07:30:13 PM »
I wouldn't have an issue with Derrick getting 10 minutes and have said that many times.  My assessment of Derrick and in turn Wojo - will be WAY wrong if Derrick ends up getting 20+ per night by mid January.  And as for Buzz last year - 30+ minutes was ridiculous.  Particularly when the team kept losing and Derrick wasn't improving and in many ways regressing.

My issue is if Derrick plays more than 10 per game - those other minutes come at the expense of other more talented guys...whether that be Carlino or Duane (this isn't/nor does it have to be about Dawson.

Why would you be okay with a player getting 10 minutes a game when we are a better team if he doesn't play at all.  I'm having a really hard time understanding your position here.  

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2014, 07:30:43 PM »
I am well aware of what opportunity cost is. I'm also aware that despite this "opportunity cost" two coaches in a row have chosen Derrick over Dawson.

So what you are saying is, that because of multiple factors including Derrick's experience, leadership, and defense that Wojo thinks Derrick is the better option? Seems pretty legit to me. I bet Buzz thought the same thing too.

It is still early. I hope that John Dawson comes out and lights the world on fire tomorrow. I would love for that to happen and I will happily admit that I was wrong about my predictions for PG playing time this season. I know what threshold I would need to see for me to change my mind about this topic. Do you? How good does Derrick have to be or how bad does Dawson have to be for you to admit you were wrong? I am not saying you are, because its too early for that. I'm just curious what proof you would need in order for you to change your mind?

At minimum I need to see Derrick make some 3 point shots, make at least 65% of his FTs, push the ball in transition and create some easy looks for his teammates...and see that as the season wears on, and if he continues to play 20+ minutes that teams are defending him with respect (unlike last year).  I'd like to see him average at minimum 7ppg if he is going to get 20+ minutes with per game with an O-Rating of 110+.

As for Dawson - it's hard to say.  As I said all last year, it is really hard to judge a player - particularly their ceiling - in such limited time.  He's gotten scrap minutes this year, so nothing to judge as of yet, other than Wojo hasn't felt he's earned more time...which says something in and of itself.  What I will say, is that the same standard I set for Derrick above, I have no doubt Dawson could achieve if given 20 per game night in and night out.

But again, I'm not surprised Wojo is giving Derrick all the chances in the world to prove he is worthy of 20+.  Senior benefit.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

Class71

• All American
« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2014, 07:31:08 PM »
Here's a different question to ponder. If marquette wins somehow, does the praise go to Wojo or the players?

Easy, both! Miracles can happen and that is why we watch.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2014, 07:34:24 PM »
Why would you be okay with a player getting 10 minutes a game when we are a better team if he doesn't play at all.  I'm having a really hard time understanding your position here.  

That's a fair question.  10 minutes is a small fraction of the available minutes in a game, and therefore only takes away 10 from guys I feel are more talented/the future of the program.

As it relates to this game, if Derrick is in fact out for it, Wojo will at least get a diagnostic as to what the team looks like without his services...and how some of the young guys play in a hostile environment against a high quality team.  They either sink or swim.  Yet again, when the bar is so incredibly low, it doesn't take a lot for improvement to be realized.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2014, 07:38:20 PM »
Does it really change the outcome?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2014, 07:39:52 PM »
Impossible with Ners on this board. The minute Derrick gets mentioned in any thread for nearly any reason, Ners will take the opportunity to remind everybody how bad he thinks he is. I know we could all ignore that, but his criticism of Ners is so over the top that many, myself included, get baited into defending him.

I wish I could tell you that I won't keep engaging Ners on this topic, but I just can't help it.

What I find so over the top are those who feel a guy at the most important position on the floor - PG - is an essential piece (particularly this year) when through the end of his junior year has made 2, 3pt FGs and shoots 43% from the FT line, never pushes tempo in transition, nor sees the floor very well.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2014, 07:40:22 PM »
That's a fair question.  10 minutes is a small fraction of the available minutes in a game, and therefore only takes away 10 from guys I feel are more talented/the future of the program.

As it relates to this game, if Derrick is in fact out for it, Wojo will at least get a diagnostic as to what the team looks like without his services...and how some of the young guys play in a hostile environment against a high quality team.  They either sink or swim.  Yet again, when the bar is so incredibly low, it doesn't take a lot for improvement to be realized.

Everyone who has visited this board in the last year knows you think Derrick is a waste of minutes.  You should stop commenting about him.  We know what you think.  You've made your point.  It is redundant.  You also let your emotions make insincere arguments. Additionally, when you comment about him, you really seem like a terrible human being. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2014, 07:42:37 PM »
Well Ners isn't getting his wish. Derrick is playing tomorrow.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2014, 07:45:48 PM »
What I find so over the top are those who feel a guy at the most important position on the floor - PG - is an essential piece (particularly this year) when through the end of his junior year has made 2, 3pt FGs and shoots 43% from the FT line, never pushes tempo in transition, nor sees the floor very well.

But see no one thinks that. Everyone knows Carlino is a better option. Most people think the same about Duane. You are still making last year's arguments.

Earth to Ners. It's 2014-15. We've moved on. Come join us. Or don't.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2014, 07:51:37 PM »
Does anyone have a good definition of obsessive compulsive?
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2014, 08:07:53 PM »
Yeah but as mentioned. On those teams we had options to bring in if there was foul trouble.

If vander picked up a couple quick ones. Enter Todd. If DJO also picked up a couple or Junior. Then theres Derrick or even Jamail.

Davante? Run small with Jamil. Jae picks up some quick ones? Jamil. Juan.

You see? there was depth everywhere.

With only 8 guys if a few people pick up two fouls they may have to stay out there because we don't have enough subs. It definitely matters having guys available for even a few minutes.

I mean if we get the Gophers/Lousiville refs...We'd be almost out of players at halftime.

The argument wasn't about having a winning lineup--it was about worrying that we may have to play with only four players.

That Indiana NIT game being cited as "evidence" that we could be in trouble was a double overtime game 29 years ago.

I would love for us to be close enough to Ohio State that the game has a chance to get to overtime (no less double overtime), but I suspect this will be a regulation game.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2014, 08:09:00 PM »
My long held view on Derrick is that he brings real value to the team as a 10-15 minute intense defensive oriented player. His strength and agility make him able to guard larger players.  His block against UTM was a thing of beauty. The 13 minutes he got in that game was optimal.  So not having him in the lineup against Ohio State will not help our interests.

On the other hand, I believe when his minutes go beyond that amount, our offense bogs down . He becomes a big liability down the stretch with his inability to shoot free throws at the requisite level for a high D-1 guard. Although I want his minutes moderated by the coach not an injury.

I hope he is well enough to give us a few hard minutes on Tuesday. We will need that from him.  

If he is not able to play, I think he will provide a lot of leadership from the bench.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2014, 08:56:08 PM »
Matt Velazquez ‏@Matt_Velazquez 1 hour ago

Derrick Wilson is expected to play Tuesday night at Ohio State after practicing on Monday, according to #mubb head coach @steve_wojo.

Apparently the "dressing 8" scenario is now moot.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2014, 09:24:37 PM »
My long held view on Derrick is that he brings real value to the team as a 10-15 minute intense defensive oriented player. His strength and agility make him able to guard larger players.  His block against UTM was a thing of beauty. The 13 minutes he got in that game was optimal.  So not having him in the lineup against Ohio State will not help our interests.

On the other hand, I believe when his minutes go beyond that amount, our offense bogs down . He becomes a big liability down the stretch with his inability to shoot free throws at the requisite level for a high D-1 guard. Although I want his minutes moderated by the coach not an injury.

I hope he is well enough to give us a few hard minutes on Tuesday. We will need that from him.  

If he is not able to play, I think he will provide a lot of leadership from the bench.

I agree with pretty much all of this. Derrick is a quality backup point guard. He plays that role very well. Now that we have Carlino and Duane, he shouldn't have to venture outside of that role very often.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2014, 09:50:58 PM »
Matt Velazquez ‏@Matt_Velazquez 1 hour ago

Derrick Wilson is expected to play Tuesday night at Ohio State after practicing on Monday, according to #mubb head coach @steve_wojo.

Apparently the "dressing 8" scenario is now moot.

Oh damn. Derrick isn't hurt!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

robertoc

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #96 on: November 19, 2014, 10:50:37 AM »
Not a typo, but it is your smug attempt to infer I do not know how to spell. I decided to change elite to elight to put a different perspective on his play.

Smug perhaps :-), but didn't think that you didn't know how to spell.  Thought you made up a new word, which it appears you did...

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #97 on: November 19, 2014, 11:27:41 AM »
Smug perhaps :-), but didn't think that you didn't know how to spell.  Thought you made up a new word, which it appears you did...
Not really. Have heard it pronounced that way before on several occasions. Cannot remember where. Thinking GD Spradlin--maybe in Godfather or North Dallas 40. Not sure--but, e-light it is.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

feedback