[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Badgers MBB fall to Carlton (Canada)  (Read 24755 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
SS Marquette

GGGG

• All American
Re: Badgers MBB fall to Carlton (Canada)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 09:15:40 AM »
Carleton is by far the best team out of Canada.  They have gone something like 99-3 the past three years.

The Badgers should blow through the rest of them.  And yeah, Dekker is going to be real good.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 09:18:57 AM »
Freshman barely played, that is why you can never get to excited about freshman.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 09:21:55 AM »
Freshman barely played, that is why you can never get to excited about freshman.

Ehh....they've only been around for six weeks or so.  Way too early to tell what their role will be.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 09:23:57 AM »
Fire and ice.

Bo Ryan and his team had to play by FIBA rules, which includes a 24 second clock. That had to be the scariest thing Bo has ever experienced in his coaching career.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 09:26:03 AM »

Ehh....they've only been around for six weeks or so.  Way too early to tell what their role will be.

Agreed, but coaches like veterans, they will get there share of time, that is why you can never get to excited over frosh, talking about the MU frosh as well.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 09:30:25 AM »

Ford has Dekker at 18 on his first board for 2014.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 09:39:54 AM »
Draft Express has Dekker at #21 for 2014.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 09:53:16 AM »
Agreed, but coaches like veterans, they will get there share of time, that is why you can never get to excited over frosh, talking about the MU frosh as well.

There is truth to that statement, but there is a big difference between the three stars Bo picked up this year and the four stars we picked up. With the exception of Dawson, every one of our players is ranked higher than Bo's top recruit. Also, we are so shallow at point that we have no choice but to play frosh.

I am keeping my expectations in check, but I think all of our newcomers (save Dawson) will make an immediate impact. Not necessarily as starters but as key players off the bench.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 10:20:54 AM »
There is truth to that statement, but there is a big difference between the three stars Bo picked up this year and the four stars we picked up. With the exception of Dawson, every one of our players is ranked higher than Bo's top recruit. Also, we are so shallow at point that we have no choice but to play frosh.

I am keeping my expectations in check, but I think all of our newcomers (save Dawson) will make an immediate impact. Not necessarily as starters but as key players off the bench.

Agreed, that Duane Wilson has to step up, Burton is a nice player at the 3, and Johnson backing up Mayo, Dawson who knows.  But Wilson is the key to MU's success. 

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 10:33:15 AM »
Was Dekker a UW guy all the way, or did MU have a shot at some point?

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 10:34:01 AM »

I don't think Du. Wilson will be starting the UW game.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 10:43:38 AM »
It is not who starts but who finishes, I expect Derrick to start out, much like Juan did last year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 10:45:30 AM »
Regardless of who starts...Duane or Derrick....I bet Duane plays a good number of minutes unless Dawson comes in and really surprises people.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 10:49:02 AM »
Will this damage Wiscy's seed line as badly as reportedly losing a closed door scrimmage where a future lottery pick was supposed to have gone for 40?     ::)
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 10:59:35 AM »
These games do not count, so to me it is foolish to not give the newcomers a lot of playing time.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 11:04:10 AM »
So we have no excuse if we lose to them this year? 

No excuses left. Your boy (3-13 or 3-14 vs UW) has used them all up.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 11:06:10 AM »

I think his first for 2013 had Dario Saric at #18 (didn't stay in 2013 draft).. he was followed by #19 CJ Leslie (undrafted) and #20 Wayne Blackshear (nice role player last year for Louisville).

In other words... where Dekker is at on his board or where Dekker is on your board and probably about equally good predictors. So, how about your thoughts instead? Seems like a guy that would stick around longer than next year to me. Very good player though and may pull a ZFB after the season.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 11:19:46 AM »
No excuses left. Your boy (3-13 or 3-14 vs UW) has used them all up.

Not my boy....glad to see you made this thread about Crean...not sure why...I'm sure thousands of posters will come down on you for it.  ::)

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2013, 11:20:08 AM »
Will this damage Wiscy's seed line as badly as reportedly losing a closed door scrimmage where a future lottery pick was supposed to have gone for 40?     ::)

Beat me to it!  That will never not be funny.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2013, 11:26:28 AM »
Not my boy....glad to see you made this thread about Crean...not sure why...I'm sure thousands of posters will come down on you for it.  ::)

After you (in typical passive aggressive Chicos fashion) turned the game into a no win proposition for MU I thought it only fair to point out that UW isn't an automatic W for everyone.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2013, 11:26:47 AM »
I think his first for 2013 had Dario Saric at #18 (didn't stay in 2013 draft).. he was followed by #19 CJ Leslie (undrafted) and #20 Wayne Blackshear (nice role player last year for Louisville).

In other words... where Dekker is at on his board or where Dekker is on your board and probably about equally good predictors. So, how about your thoughts instead? Seems like a guy that would stick around longer than next year to me. Very good player though and may pull a ZFB after the season.

I think he's a huge talent and I think that 15-25 in the draft seems reasonable and I think if you're a Soph you jump at that.

I didn't mean to imply that Ford's word is absolute, it's interesting to note where the writers have him right now.  I know you take exception to experts rankings, but for most of us, it's the easiest way to gather information and get a pulse on rising talent whether those rankings are for High School, JUCO, or College.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2013, 11:31:25 AM »
Dekker may just hang around to play with Looney and Stone and cut the nets down, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2013, 11:33:00 AM »
If he's drafted 15-25 in next years draft that's saying something, the draft class is loaded.
Bring back FFP!!!

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2013, 11:52:03 AM »
After you (in typical passive aggressive Chicos fashion) turned the game into a no win proposition for MU I thought it only fair to point out that UW isn't an automatic W for everyone.

Christ.

What a unnatural carnal knowledgeing clown show.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2013, 11:52:52 AM »

Not only that but some coaches are more willing to play freshman than others. Buzz is ranked as one of the coaches least likely to give freshman playing time even when taking into account the recruiting rankings and other factors in the second article:

http://basketball.realgm.com/article/228645/Freshmen-Playing-Time-Part-1

http://basketball.realgm.com/article/228847/Freshmen-Playing-Time-Part-2

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2013, 11:53:27 AM »

Jeez, enough with the Decker worship. He's a talented player, but he's not going to reinvent the game.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2013, 02:01:50 PM »
Christ.

What a unnatural carnal knowledgeing clown show.

Sarcasm is lost on him, G.A. 

As if I was really guaranteeing a win.   ::)  Of course UW is a tough game, am I not accused by some of being a UW-madison fan here by some so why would I think the would be a pushover.  They have a great coach, great system, and have been the best program in the state (arguably) for the last 15 years.  They will be a tough out, always are.  A loss in Canada in August means nothing.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2013, 02:08:02 PM »
A loss in Canada in August means nothing less than a loss in Green Bay in November.

FTFY

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2013, 02:28:03 PM »
Three easy steps to beating Bucky:

1.) Be more athletic than them
2.) F*ck with them
3.) Profit

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2013, 02:28:47 PM »
Sarcasm is lost on him, G.A. 

They have a great coach, great system, and have been the best program in the state (arguably) for the last 15 years. 

Best program in the state for the first 10 of the last 15 years. Last 5 years, no.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2013, 02:29:26 PM »
Beat me to it!  That will never not be funny.
It could.  You never know what the committee uses as a tie breaker

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2013, 02:47:55 PM »
It could.  You never know what the committee uses as a tie breaker

High comedy!

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2013, 02:54:44 PM »
have been the best program in the state (arguably) for the last 15 years. 

No

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2013, 06:12:02 PM »

Jeez, enough with the Decker worship. He's a talented player, but he's not going to reinvent the game.

This is one of the more ridiculous answers to an honest valid question I have seen here in a while. 

I don't remember his recruiting either but am curious, were we ever in the hunt for him?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2013, 06:21:19 PM »
Best program in the state for the first 10 of the last 15 years. Last 5 years, no.

What I said isn't  incorrect...last 15 years encompasses the 10 plus the 5.  Maybe it would have more eloquent to say this century.   

UW is a tough out, that was the point.  Very good coach, solid players, solid fan support, good system.  Always a tough out.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2013, 06:21:56 PM »
Not really...he committed early and blew up in AAU ball after his junior year

IIRC grew up a Badger fan......unlike Cohen, Duane Wilson and Noskowiak

This is one of the more ridiculous answers to an honest valid question I have seen here in a while. 

I don't remember his recruiting either but am curious, were we ever in the hunt for him?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2013, 06:22:38 PM »
No

Undeniable....almost laughable for you to say no.  Wins, conference titles, conference tournament titles, NCAA wins, NCAA appearances, head to head, etc, etc. 

MattyWarrior

• All American
Badgers MBB fall to Carlton (Canada)
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2013, 06:24:06 PM »
My left nut hurts when you bring up Big State University and there superior athletes

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2013, 06:40:21 PM »
What I said isn't  incorrect...last 15 years encompasses the 10 plus the 5.  Maybe it would have more eloquent to say this century.   

UW is a tough out, that was the point.  Very good coach, solid players, solid fan support, good system.  Always a tough out.

Chicos--this at least the second time, if not the the eighth time, that you have brought this up.  I think the last time, you actually said in the last 20 years. We get it already.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2013, 07:50:50 PM »
Chicos--this at least the second time, if not the the eighth time, that you have brought this up.  I think the last time, you actually said in the last 20 years. We get it already.

He's gotta get attention somehow.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2013, 07:53:00 PM »
Undeniable....almost laughable for you to say no.  Wins, conference titles, conference tournament titles, NCAA wins, NCAA appearances, head to head, etc, etc. 

The problem with this is that Wisconsin has had the same coach for the last 15 years, while Marquette just got a huge upgrade in the coaching position going on 6 years ago now.  So since all of the pieces to the puzzle have been put into place, Marquette has been the superior basketball program.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2013, 07:57:48 PM »
The problem with this is that Wisconsin has had the same coach for the last 15 years, while Marquette just got a huge upgrade in the coaching position going on 6 years ago now.  So since all of the pieces to the puzzle have been put into place, Marquette has been the superior basketball program.

Actually, over the past 15 years, MU and UW have both had three head coaches.  (If you count Soderburg as a real head coach and not just an interim.)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2013, 08:12:01 PM »

Actually, over the past 15 years, MU and UW have both had three head coaches.  (If you count Soderburg as a real head coach and not just an interim.)

Fair enough, should've checked the facts first.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2013, 09:33:39 PM »

Just giving your comments some much needed context. You're right about the Crean era. Wisconsin was better by every measure - regular season winning %, head to head and NCAA tournament success. In the Buzz era, however, Marquette has been better by every metric. And momentum is firmly on our side in spite of question marks due to the new conference.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2013, 09:40:11 PM »
I'd say Bo still owns Coach Clover's crimson heine, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2013, 11:25:45 PM »
I'd say Bo still owns Coach Clover's crimson heine, hey?

alright, WTF is the "coach clover" $hit?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2013, 06:54:23 AM »
alright, WTF is the "coach clover" $hit?

Here I thought you were a hip and trendy cat. But, I see I have to map it out for ya. Tommy James and the Shondells recorded the hit song, "Crimson and Clover." T-Cubed thought he'd be clever and use a play on words to mark his memorable presser at I4. Hence, the grassy nickname. Got it?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2013, 08:46:20 AM »
Here I thought you were a hip and trendy cat. But, I see I have to map it out for ya. Tommy James and the Shondells recorded the hit song, "Crimson and Clover." T-Cubed thought he'd be clever and use a play on words to mark his memorable presser at I4. Hence, the grassy nickname. Got it?

Hip and trendy for 4never = 1968 hit songs.

PS - ARO available for $9.09 at the moment. Probably will jump in (once again). Not a fan of the company short or long term, but I've ridden this one for short term glory ($$$$$$) several times before. I may be able to buy some of you Christmas gifts this year after the gains I'll see by then.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2013, 08:55:32 AM »

Uhhh...no.

IU's colors are "crimson and cream."  The saying has nothing to do with the song.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2013, 09:03:11 AM »

Tommy James and the Shondells were a really bad pop/rock group (Hanky Panky, Mony, Mony) who morphed into a really bad psychedelic pop group (Crimson and Clover, Crystal Blue Persuasion). I'm sure T-Cubed is a big fan.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2013, 04:53:00 PM »

PS - ARO available for $9.09 at the moment. Probably will jump in (once again). Not a fan of the company short or long term, but I've ridden this one for short term glory ($$$$$$) several times before. I may be able to buy some of you Christmas gifts this year after the gains I'll see by then.

From the naive young dude who doesn't follow stocks whatsoever, I Googled ARO...Aeropostale?  You'd recommend buying?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2013, 06:56:25 PM »

Save the bread and send some free professional samples.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2013, 07:04:42 PM »

When someone says no, they clearly don't get it....I'm here to educate.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2013, 07:05:12 PM »

Except you would be wrong....  ::)

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2013, 07:18:36 PM »
From the naive young dude who doesn't follow stocks whatsoever, I Googled ARO...Aeropostale?  You'd recommend buying?

Probably not for you. The stock is a turd, but it reached $8.59 today and I was compelled to buy it. Have played it for quick gains in the past. Their next quarter is going to be horrid as well, but I think that's in the price and then some. Looking for a relatively quick double-digit gain and then I'll hop out that sucker again.

Quote from: ChicosBailBonds
When someone says no, they clearly don't get it....I'm here to educate.

But not to learn!

Quote from: 4everwarriors
Save the bread and send some free professional samples.

I'd send some gloves, but am afraid it would go to personal use.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2013, 07:36:50 PM »
TCU also lost to Carlton and Syracuse is down at the half.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2013, 08:06:21 PM »
Dekker may just hang around to play with Looney and Stone and cut the nets down, hey?

I know that Looney has never said he was going out of state, but good sense says that he's not going to go out of his mind (playing for Bo).
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2013, 08:08:07 PM »

A UW guy all the way.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2013, 06:16:13 AM »
A UW guy all the way.

I remember looking at his page on one of the recruiting sites and his only other offers were from (I think) Northern Iowa and UW-GB.

Dude must have been not even taking calls from anyone else once Bo was interested.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2013, 08:59:46 AM »
I remember looking at his page on one of the recruiting sites and his only other offers were from (I think) Northern Iowa and UW-GB.

Dude must have been not even taking calls from anyone else once Bo was interested.

I think he committed in June after his sophomore year. A day or days after uw-madison offered. Was making people notice early on that spring, but things would have really heated up. May have been uwmilwaukee vs. uwgb. Bradley & Northern Illinois also in there, I think.

Basically uw-madison was the first big school to offer and he took it quickly. Otherwise many would have been after him. Good move by Bo Ryan.

Manifest Destiny

• Walk-On
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2013, 12:42:00 PM »
I think he committed in June after his sophomore year. A day or days after uw-madison offered. Was making people notice early on that spring, but things would have really heated up. May have been uwmilwaukee vs. uwgb. Bradley & Northern Illinois also in there, I think.

Basically uw-madison was the first big school to offer and he took it quickly. Otherwise many would have been after him. Good move by Bo Ryan.

His dad was his high school coach and had some sort of connection with Bo as well.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2013, 01:19:29 PM »
TCU also lost to Carlton and Syracuse is down at the half.

I want MU to play these guys!
SS Marquette

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2013, 01:45:45 PM »

cuse ended up winning in OT
Maigh Eo for Sam

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2013, 08:37:32 PM »

Canadian universities aren't governed by the NCAA, obviously. They practice year round together. Carleton has won 9 of the last 11 championships. Last year they beat a team by over 40 in the championship game.

Last year, Louisville beat them by 1...and then they won the 'ship.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2013, 09:31:23 AM »
Probably not for you. The stock is a turd, but it reached $8.59 today and I was compelled to buy it. Have played it for quick gains in the past. Their next quarter is going to be horrid as well, but I think that's in the price and then some. Looking for a relatively quick double-digit gain and then I'll hop out that sucker again.

ARO at $10.01. 16.5% with ease.

Get at me.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2013, 09:42:00 AM »
ARO at $10.01. 16.5% with ease.

Get at me.

Just curious, what do you use for trading? Was thinking about setting up an account to dabble. Are there minimums you had to invest?

Sounds like you'd have to plow a lot of money into that stock to see much of a gain off a 16% return in the short run.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love 16% (or even 10%) annually. But if you are playing the market month to month, how much do you have to invest to make it worth the fees?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 09:49:43 AM by Bleuteaux »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2013, 09:51:58 AM »
Just curious, what do you use for trading? Was thinking about setting up an account to dabble. Are there minimums you had to invest?

Sounds like you'd have to plow a lot of money into that stock to see much of a gain off a 16% return in the short run.

I use several platforms for trading. For someone dabbling, E*Trade is actually pretty easy to use / has what you'll probably need. But I'd look at comparisons you can find online.. there are different minimums, but I don't think they're very high.

Some brokers will give you a discount or other incentives if you have $X amount with them (including bank accounts, credit cards, other products, etc)... for example, "if you have $50k with us, then trades are $9.99 instead of $13.99".. just making those numbers up, but that's an example of the setup you might see.

As for 16%.. depends on what "much of a gain" is to you... 16% in less than a month works for me.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2013, 09:54:18 AM »
I use several platforms for trading. For someone dabbling, E*Trade is actually pretty easy to use / has what you'll probably need. But I'd look at comparisons you can find online.. there are different minimums, but I don't think they're very high.

Some brokers will give you a discount or other incentives if you have $X amount with them (including bank accounts, credit cards, other products, etc)... for example, "if you have $50k with us, then trades are $9.99 instead of $13.99".. just making those numbers up, but that's an example of the setup you might see.

As for 16%.. depends on what "much of a gain" is to you... 16% in less than a month works for me.

Thanks, was actually already considering E*Trade, as we use it for our company ESPP.