[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: SAGA Food Service  (Read 25022 times)

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
Re: SAGA Food Service
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2012, 09:25:21 AM »
Linda the card swipper at mccormick in the 90s was awesome.

I smoked pot with Linda; she let me get Grab and Go's sophomore year even though I no longer lived in McCormick.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2012, 11:50:00 AM »
I smoked pot with Linda; she let me get Grab and Go's sophomore year even though I no longer lived in McCormick.

you should change your board name to celebrate that.

there used to be a guy who used idrankwithmandyjohnson. he's gone now but that name will always be funny

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2012, 02:11:01 PM »
Negative on Al's. He divorced, and the ex ran it (down) as Jessica's. After a new owner's plans to reopen the place were announced, the building was demolished, and replaced with a concrete-block box. The first occupant was an Italian takeout business that had terrific pans of lasagna. Later users included a limo service and a car detailing place, the latter of which may still be there.

Just a block and a building to the east is the wonderful Nite Owl. A few more steps take you to the Packing House. Tonight's menu choices will be from the Bangkok House, a few more blocks east of the airport. We've come a way from the steam tables.

That's too bad about Al's. I think he was an former Army cook who opened the stand after getting out. His burgers were fantatstic. He called them butter burgers. Another example of a guy screwing up something good over a piece of tail.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2012, 09:06:12 PM »
We took advantage of the unlimited portions one evening having a floor challenge amongst the East Coast residents versus the Midwest residents over the consumption of pork chops and finished up with a food fight.  Hall Director Jack Lance and the food service manager were not pleased.

When mentioning establishments frequented by stoner's you would have to include the Blue Deli on 16Th.

I recall a food fight at McCormick that raged for almost 10 minutes. We had been subjected to a particulalrly cruel string of horrific offerings and quite frankly were fed up with being fed shyte. Not sure how it erupted but the pent up rage of about 600 freshmen males let loose in a mushroom cloud of mystery meat, soggy boiled vegetables, and whatever else SAGA was trying to pawn off as food. We were having a floor Mass/dinner in that side room - Fr Frank Majka lived on our floor in one of those suites. Fr Frank's presence prevented us from joining in but it was still a sight to behold. RA's were frantic and ineffective - the rage of insulted palates was not to be denied that evening. Walt, the Food Service Manager was running about too. I recall four guys pushing around the salad bar, flinging contents at whomever was in their field of view. It was a thing of beauty.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2012, 09:23:08 PM »
That's too bad about Al's. I think he was an former Army cook who opened the stand after getting out. His burgers were fantatstic. He called them butter burgers. Another example of a guy screwing up something good over a piece of tail.

Did he start Culvers?

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2012, 09:29:10 AM »
Did he start Culvers?

I never thought much of Culvers. I was in Co Springs and saw one so I stopped as it was the only wat I could get frozen custard west of the Missisippi

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2012, 06:27:04 PM »
The Culvers discussion rerminds me of the Auto Dog machines SAGA deployed. Many's the night we threw out the mystery meat and settled for a glass of Auto Dog. What a rip-off.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2012, 09:56:45 PM »
My SAGA ID, circa 1977. Man was I good looking!  ::)

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2012, 10:12:09 PM »
Al, the SAGA  manager in Schroeder, let us borrow the bug juice machine one weekend.  We had a can of bug juice concentrate.  Held a "bring your own half pint" party on 10 north in Schroeder.  Still remember a kid from California Ralphing in the urinal, and washing his mouth out with the urinal  water flow.  Can't make this crap up.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2012, 07:09:33 AM »
Worked in the McCormick cafeteria all 4 years.   You thought it was bad out front in the dining rooms.....
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2012, 07:41:28 AM »
Worked in the McCormick cafeteria all 4 years.   You thought it was bad out front in the dining rooms.....

For the love of God, PLEASE don't elaborate...
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2012, 08:01:37 AM »
I won't.    Statute of limitations hasn't passed yet for some of the stuff I saw.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2012, 08:52:53 AM »

I had a friend whose SAGA ID was so bad, he'd win bar bets with it. It looked like someone kicked him in the groin immediately before the photo was snapped.   He would challenge someone by saying "worst picture buys the beer", and he never lost.
Have some patience, FFS.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2012, 05:32:17 PM »

Details! And did you know Queenie, Homo Erotic food server and former Lit professor at Illinois State?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2012, 06:01:49 PM »
My favorite Saga dish was el Rancho, which we called el Rauncho.

It led to an affliction called Sagarhhea, which did awful things to Milwaukee's sewer system.

Gawd I forgot about Suburpia. Used to wreck Joe Cocker's "You are so beautiful" hit by injecting the word ....Submarine!!!!!!!

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2012, 06:21:24 PM »
Details! And did you know Queenie, Homo Erotic food server and former Lit professor at Illinois State?

SAGA was crap, was so glad to live off-campus and cook my meals. Since you are asking for details and I have to place a couple of steaks in the Barbie, I'm staying away from this topic for the night  :P
Goal is National Championship

tower912

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2012, 06:25:16 PM »

Picture the cook from "Up Periscope", mix it with "Waiting", add in the number of cooks on parole, square it, let your imagination go and you can probably imagine just about anything I can tell you. 

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2012, 06:27:18 PM »
Picture the cook from "Up Periscope", mix it with "Waiting", add in the number of cooks on parole, square it, let your imagination go and you can probably imagine just about anything I can tell you. 

How about Queenie?

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2012, 02:52:24 AM »
I had a friend whose SAGA ID was so bad, he'd win bar bets with it. It looked like someone kicked him in the groin immediately before the photo was snapped.   He would challenge someone by saying "worst picture buys the beer", and he never lost.
Wouldn't that mean he'd buy the beer each time?
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2012, 05:16:15 PM »
Wouldn't that mean he'd buy the beer each time?

That's what I thought. Then, the dude might be one of those guys who likes buying rounds

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2012, 07:23:37 PM »

Where do I collect!?!  ;D

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2012, 07:28:25 PM »

You need to update this with a "Today" photo

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2012, 07:54:40 PM »
Al, the SAGA  manager in Schroeder, let us borrow the bug juice machine one weekend.  We had a can of bug juice concentrate.  Held a "bring your own half pint" party on 10 north in Schroeder.  Still remember a kid from California Ralphing in the urinal, and washing his mouth out with the urinal  water flow.  Can't make this crap up.

God help us.  My daughter now lives in Schroeder.  I'll have to pass along your story real chili.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2012, 07:59:12 PM »
Al, the SAGA  manager in Schroeder, let us borrow the bug juice machine one weekend.  We had a can of bug juice concentrate.  Held a "bring your own half pint" party on 10 north in Schroeder.  Still remember a kid from California Ralphing in the urinal, and washing his mouth out with the urinal  water flow.  Can't make this crap up.

I was also on 10 North at Schroeder. My eyes watered as I read your post. The Floor's proud traditions of Overindulgence in Controlled Substances, Meaningless Sex, Vomit, and Malicious Vandalism carried on! Makes an Old Airman weep with pride. I think I was in Room 1010. Oh if those walls could talk...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 08:02:43 PM by warthog-driver »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2012, 10:04:39 PM »
I was also on 10 North at Schroeder. My eyes watered as I read your post. The Floor's proud traditions of Overindulgence in Controlled Substances, Meaningless Sex, Vomit, and Malicious Vandalism carried on! Makes an Old Airman weep with pride. I think I was in Room 1010. Oh if those walls could talk...

You were on 10 north.  We were on 10 south.  Rocky Rockenbach, our dear departed MU alum, was our Frosh RA.  We've also lost Greg Raffensperger...from White Folks Bay.  Greg had a VW bug that we would take up to Port Washington to to indulge in the double bubble happy hour at Sundance.

Sophmore year, the year of the bug juice machine incident was Tom K., the polish guy from northern Wi for our RA.  ;D  Tom married a wonderful MU gal, Jane.  

There was a guy on your section of the floor.  We called him Megaphone Mark.  When his mom would call him on a Saturday morning, he would answer "hello".  He had one of those voices...barritone (sp) that would carry down, and wake up the whole floor.

Anyone remember the great painting we did on 10 north of the album cover from Dark Side of the Moon?

« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 10:07:08 PM by real chili 83 »

feedback