'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Seton Hall pre-game discussion  (Read 3228 times)

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
Seton Hall pre-game discussion
« on: February 27, 2010, 08:05:22 PM »
So how does everyone feel about this game? I thought going into this 3-game road stretch that this game would be the toughest to win. Seton Hall has real good talent and depth - I actually think they've underacheived this year up to this point with the number of high-major players they have on their roster. Seton Hall is obviously still alive for a tourney bid so if they can beat us it will really help them out a lot because they close with Providence and Rutgers. If I'm not mistaken, I think they have a real good RPI and SOS relative to their overall record and conference record. Plus, they have wins over Pitt, Louisville, and Cornell on their resume with OT losses to WVU, South Florida, and Virginia Tech. If Hazell doesn't go off I think we have a good shot to beat them. When he's on fire from 3 land they're real tough to beat.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 08:12:16 PM by Doris Burkes Thong »

tower912

• All American
Re: Seton Hall pre-game discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 08:16:45 PM »
Deeper than we are.   Not significantly larger, for a change.   I wonder if Buzz is going to have DJO play Hazell like he did USF's Jones.  Sell out on D at the expense of O.  Hazell has more range.     Keep the TO's down, hold our own on the boards and I like our chances.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 08:19:59 PM »
I feel the same way I have felt before every game this year.  Nervous, expecting a dogfight and pretty much can guarantee I will not be sitting down with 2 mins left.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 08:24:38 PM »
This game is probably more important to Seton Hall than it is to MU. At the beginning of the road trip, I would have been happy with 2 and 1 after Seton Hall. So winning this game would be gravy.  If we lose, we are still in good shape as long as we take care of business at home. Having said that there is no reason we can't win all of the next 3 starting tomorrow, although Seton Hall will be the toughest of the 3  (IMHO.)  DJO and Lazar are due for a great shooting game.

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 08:30:36 PM »
I do remember Jimmy saying this week that DJO will defend Hazell and that he(Butler) may also guard him some.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 08:38:28 PM »
This game is probably more important to Seton Hall than it is to MU. At the beginning of the road trip, I would have been happy with 2 and 1 after Seton Hall. So winning this game would be gravy.  If we lose, we are still in good shape as long as we take care of business at home. Having said that there is no reason we can't win all of the next 3 starting tomorrow, although Seton Hall will be the toughest of the 3  (IMHO.)  DJO and Lazar are due for a great shooting game.

Gamemeans more to MU. We lose and the pressure is turned up a notch.Taking care of Biz at home is going to be a war.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 08:40:14 PM »
Deeper than we are.   Not significantly larger, for a change.   I wonder if Buzz is going to have DJO play Hazell like he did USF's Jones.  Sell out on D at the expense of O.  Hazell has more range.     Keep the TO's down, hold our own on the boards and I like our chances.   

Just abit larger with Pope at center.  Hazell is also a 6ft 5in SG.  That results in the two keys to the game with these SH players.

Lazar cannot pick up fouls early guarding Pope and MU must have a solution to guard Hazell.  Acker and Cubillian are not the answer for Hazell.  It should be interesting to see at the onset of the game who is actually guarding Hazell, whether it is DJO or even Buycks off the bench.  If he is on, Hazell is very dangerous, when he is off, they usually lose.  Lets hope SH is alittle nervous with all the hype for this game and it effects them in some manner.

After the last two games I am optimistic, but would not be suprised if MU had a letdown in this one.    

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 09:00:34 PM »
This is going to be a really tough one to win and i have said that for a while now. That said i have also said quite a few times that this game is more of a positive then a negative. We dont want to come out flat but we also dont need to come out thinking this game is make or break because it certainly isnt. If we lose this then the home games become real important as we are down near the pack of bubble teams. Win this and we are basically in the tourney. We got to go out their feeling like theres no pressure but at the same time not flat.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 09:06:38 PM »

If Seton Hall loses they are most likely done for a tournament bid, If Mu loses they are still alive with 1 or 2 more wins.
I do agree that a MU loss will turn up the pressure in the next two.

DJO did a nice job of slowing down the big mouth jones from South FLA, maybe he draws Hazell

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 09:10:44 PM »
I'm wondering how much of a focus MU will put on Hazell...from what I've seen of the kid, the only way he makes his teamates better is if the opponent places all their defensive emphasis on Hazell and someone else is able to step-up for SH.  Might be one of those games where you let the star do what he's going to do, and make sure that no one else has a big game???

syscokid

• Walk-On
  • Bo Cryan
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 11:06:58 PM »
I hope I am wrong, but I have a bad feeling about this one boys. Louisville and ND are starting to play well. After ND's big win today, I think that is a MUST win game next week. Loser goes to the NIT! Just my prediction.

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 12:25:00 AM »
I think I've had a bad feeling about MU going into every BE game this year it seems like....lol. I have a bad feeling about Seton Hall, Louisville, the ND games. Actually I feel the most confident in us beating ND of all our three remaining games and yes I know they're playing well.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 02:10:14 AM »
I think I've had a bad feeling about MU going into every BE game this year it seems like....lol. I have a bad feeling about Seton Hall, Louisville, the ND games. Actually I feel the most confident in us beating ND of all our three remaining games and yes I know they're playing well.

the real question is, how do you feel about doris' thong? sorry still have a difficult time getting over the quality of the name

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 07:36:46 AM »
This is going to be a tough game to win.  The kids have traveled alot this week.  Thinking that MU needs one of these next 2 before the big ND game next weekend.  I'd say from here through the BE tourney we'll go 3-2 (1-1 in NY).  That gets us in the 8-9 seed game in the NCAA.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 07:44:36 AM »
I'm not very confident.  I think SH feels like they're kind of our equal in the BE but have yet to be able to beat us even though they've been very close the past 3 years.  This is their big chance and I think they will really be juiced. 

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 07:56:23 AM »
It's a toss up game.  But, having won our last two games on the road, in OT, I like our chances.

MUWeb7

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 08:45:55 AM »
Seton Hall has been getting a bit of Vegas love...

Three sites...three different lines

SH -1.5
SH -2
SH -3

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 09:44:51 AM »
I'm queasy as well.

pulled 2 out of our arse at Cincy and SJ's...

either we show up big time and blow the doors off these guys-
or, I fear, it's another close one that JB's last second shot rattles out.

3 road in a row vs. 2 pretty good teams plus SJ is a tough stretch.

harryp

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 10:16:32 AM »
Please change that name (D B's Thong) -- it's insulting and degrading to a victim of sexual assault.

OhioGoldenEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 11:15:36 AM »

I think its ignorant to say any game is gravy at this point.  Both Louisville and Notre Dame are playing extremely well of late, and they are battling for a spot in the NCAA just like we are, so MU could easily lose both of those to close the season.  That being said, this game is extremely important.  There is going to be a large number of teams bunched up for an at large bid, so we need to win this game.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2010, 11:39:35 AM »

I think its ignorant to say any game is gravy at this point.  Both Louisville and Notre Dame are playing extremely well of late, and they are battling for a spot in the NCAA just like we are, so MU could easily lose both of those to close the season.  That being said, this game is extremely important.  There is going to be a large number of teams bunched up for an at large bid, so we need to win this game.

Gravy is a poor choice of words as is "ignorant".  My point was we could lose this game and still be in the tournament where as I am not sure Seton Hasll can lose and still get in. If I would have told you before the Cincy game that we would be 2 and 1 in the next 3 games, I bet you would have taken it. Of course every game is important, a win here and we are in really good shape but still may have some work to do. Like whats happening now hope we keep the foot on the throat.