[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 09:15:16 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Most improved player  (Read 2217 times)

CTWarrior

• All American
Most improved player
« on: February 27, 2010, 01:06:09 PM »
I'm probably in the minority, but I don't think Butler has improved as much between seasons as everyone seems to think he has.  I think he improved a ton from Oct 2008 to March 2009, but mostly I think he's just getting the playing time and more responsibility.  I expected 13 & 7 from him this year and he's doing better than that, but not light years better.

My point isn't that he isn't really good, it was that he was really good at the end of last year, too. 

To me, the revelation on this team is Acker.  Last year, I really disliked Acker's game because he provided no defense and was just a position holder on offense.  Mainly, he hardly ever turned the ball over but did nothing else helpful, including run or initiate ANY offense.

This year he has done a very good job running the offense.  Our offense noticeably suffers when he sits.  So I think he is the most improved player on the team.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Most improved player
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 03:54:02 PM »
Last year, I really disliked Acker's game because he provided no defense and was just a position holder on offense.  Mainly, he hardly ever turned the ball over but did nothing else helpful, including run or initiate ANY offense.

I'll agree that his game appears to have improved, however, I'm not sure it's all do to development.  I think it's at least 50% attributable to use.  His defense was great helping against Kyle McAlarney last year.  As for offense, he won MAC freshman of the year with some pretty incredible numbers.  I think he may have just been dissatisfied as a backup for his last 3 years of eligibility.  The opportunity to be "the man" brought of the best in him - which was visible his Frosh year at ball State.

http://ballstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14200&ATCLID=713543

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 03:59:35 PM »
I agree that Jimmy was certainly great at the end of last year, but the fact that he was able to continue the things he did best last year while having an increased role in the offense  is huge.  Without the big 3 and a Burke at center, Jimmy has been able to step up on both sides of the court.  Before he was more of a clean-up guy down low, and showed some flashes that he could drive, but now it is clear he is very gifted on offense.

Plus, he plays out of position most of the time and thrives anyway.  I suppose his slashing on offense is what really beats the bigger defenders.  Props to Acker though, I don't know where we would be without him back.

Chicagobball

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 04:10:44 PM »
Some players arent good being a "back up player" like Acker was for two years behind Neek. This is a player who started on every team he has played for (Hillcrest, Meanstreets, and Ball State) so I dont think he knew how to accept that role. Now this year we can finally see what made him the MAC's freshmen of the year and why Crean decided to bring him here. Jimmy is having a great year also but with no "true" point guard we would have alot more losses on the season.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 09:53:19 PM »
If the implication is true that Acker has always been a starter and struggled for 2 years because he was a back-up, then one of two things was going on--either he was delusional to think he'd beat out D James for the starting PG role (sure Acker was Freshman of the Year in the MAC, but James was the same, but in the BEast). Or, Acker and others (probably including Jerel and Crean) expected James to be gone after his sophomore year.

NCWarrior85

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 05:57:44 AM »
James leaving early  might have come true if James had only improved his shooting skills as much as we have seen overall improvement in Maurice Acker from last year to this year.  I always felt James was over-hyped, and to a certain extend McNeal as potential NBA players whereas Matthews flew under the radar in the shadow of the other two.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 08:10:30 AM »
This is Jimmy Butler hands down.  Mo Acker has had a great year, but Butler has been phenomenal.

feedback