[May 03, 2024, 08:27:54 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Darling of the Bubble Teams  (Read 4350 times)

radome

• Team Captain
Darling of the Bubble Teams
« on: February 25, 2010, 07:43:33 PM »
Why has the media made us the darling of the bubble? Do you think it is the close games? Maybe the feeling that we are undersized but hanging in there?  It started with Lunardi, did everyone else pile on?  We are on darn near every site, now the cbssports.com bubble watch video.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: Darling of the Bubble Teams
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 07:46:39 PM »
Why has the media made us the darling of the bubble? Do you think it is the close games? Maybe the feeling that we are undersized but hanging in there?  It started with Lunardi, did everyone else pile on?  We are on darn near every site, now the cbssports.com bubble watch video.

It was my assumption that it's because of our win streak.  Out of the bubble teams we've been the safe choice thus far, especially with the teams that we had left on our schedule. 

I have no *actual* clue, though.  Just guesses. 

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 09:06:53 PM »
This is interesting, because I was just thinking the same thing... This "darling" persona may lead many of us, including myself, into a false certainty of an NCAA berth.

Looking at ESPN's bubble watch, its clear that MU doesn't have the best RPI compared to some of these others. While Im aware that the RPI isnt the end-all of the decision process, it scares me because many of the categories used are based on it... for example record against top 50, top 100, etc. So in the end it is a HUGE factor in the process

That said, conference record is also huge and 11-7 in the BE cant really be overlooked. However, if we finish 10-8 i think we have work to do in the conf tourney because of our weak computer numbers

Lastly, our best win against G'Town isnt as good as some of the other bubble teams best wins against Cuse, Nova, WVU, etc and our bad losses are worse in many cases.

The wildcard in all of this is that EYE TEST and all those close losses, but that was a long time ago and I am weary about how that would hold

In other words, lets win 11 so that selection sunday doesnt have the opportunity of being a heartbreaker

GregClausenForever

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 09:23:10 PM »
F that.  Let's just win out.  We seriously can.  It's not the most likely outcome, but we can, and we should want to.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 11:24:11 PM »
Hopefully being a darling means we won't be playing at 11:00 AM on the first day of the tournament again (though I'd gladly take that over being in the NIT).  It always winds up being a long lunch.  Would rather have a night game.  Last night first rounder I remember was vs. MSU, I think. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 11:31:48 PM »
the best reason I can come up with is because as of right now, we add some simplicity to the bubble scene.  despite our lack of great success against higher echelon teams, we have taken care of business against other bubble teams. with all the confusion and factors that go into who's in and who's out, i think our success against fellow bubble teams both in conference and out (xavier) is refreshing head to head. it allows pundits to set aside the locks and we come out on top when you start sifting the bubble teams.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 09:58:49 AM »
F that.  Let's just win out.  We seriously can.  It's not the most likely outcome, but we can, and we should want to.

Thank you!!  Why is it so out of the question that Marquette finishes 12-6.  They're better than Seton Hall, Louisville, and ND.  I was starting to think I was crazy thinking that MU could win out.  Maybe i'm just overly optimistic, but i think we have a good shot at doing it.  12-6 would be ridiculous and would definitely throw Buzz's name into a serious BE COY conversation.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 10:21:41 AM »
+1. This team now knows how to win games. No reason why we can't expect them to continue their winning ways. They had a horrid night from beyond the arc (their greatest strength) against a surging St. Johns team and still won. They're finding ways to win, or avoid losing--something they could not not find earlier in the year. 3-0 is definitely attainable.  The toughest game will be this Sunday. Win that one and we'll take care of business at home.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 12:09:40 PM »
I have heard it mentioned twice already on ESPN that the committee does take into account close losses.  I would think that losing 4 games to teams in the top 10 by only a few points puts us in a better light.  Also, that those losses happened early on and now we are winning the close ones has to help. 

As of right now, I don't think we are on the bubble.  I think we are sitting really good in that 8-9 seed range.  Probably need 2 wins out of 3 regular season and Big East tourny to be a lock.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
If we win 2 of our last 3 regular season games, we're a lock--regardless of what happens in New york.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 12:58:11 PM »
If we win 2 of our last 3 regular season games, we're a lock--regardless of what happens in New york.

Losing the first game against St. John's/USF (the matchup based on standings right now) wouldn't be a good thing, though.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 02:07:50 PM »
Losing the first game against St. John's/USF (the matchup based on standings right now) wouldn't be a good thing, though.

Yes.... but win 2 of the last three, and the committee will likely already have MU in the field before their first game (assuming a bye), making the results relevant only for seed.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 07:27:11 PM »
Part of what created the "darling" status was what caused Andy Glockner to start calling MU "Team Bubble Watch."  After watching MU barely lose to top 10 teams, when they were 2-5, he predicted that as long as Buzz could keep the team's chin up, and they kept playing that hard every night, they'd go 11-7.

And when one guy starts talking us up because we're making him look smart, everyone else runs to jump on the bus to look smart as well.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 10:14:50 PM »
Sunday is going to be a big game. If we lose we are by no means done(we are far enough in as a 10 seed right now that we wont even move to last 4 in) so the pressure isnt on. We just need to go out feeling loose and if we win this game there is no way we will be left out. Not only would we already have wins against bubble teams Uconn, USF, Cincy and Seton Hall but 3 would be on the road and we would have 5 straight road wins. Most teams dont have more than 2 road wins.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 02:13:26 AM »
Not only would we already have wins against bubble teams Uconn, USF, Cincy and Seton Hall but 3 would be on the road and we would have 5 straight road wins. Most teams dont have more than 2 road wins.

I was just looking at Lunardi's rundown to see how many road/neutral wins it takes to get a mention (11), and noticed that ND is tied for the worst road team being considered (1-6) and Louisville is tied for the 6th worst (3-6).

So we got that going for us.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

MU83

• Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 12:04:24 PM »
I think we are the darling of the bubble teams because we play extremely hard every game.  Coaches and former players who make up a large percentage of announcers really appreciate this as well, so they continue to mention it.  The fact that we recovered from the difficult Big East start is known by everyone.

As an aside, does anyone else want to kill the next announcer who tells us how hard the Indiana kids are playing?  What a joke.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2010, 12:12:12 PM »
Sunday is going to be a big game. If we lose we are by no means done(we are far enough in as a 10 seed right now that we wont even move to last 4 in) so the pressure isnt on. We just need to go out feeling loose and if we win this game there is no way we will be left out. Not only would we already have wins against bubble teams Uconn, USF, Cincy and Seton Hall but 3 would be on the road and we would have 5 straight road wins. Most teams dont have more than 2 road wins.

I don't know if I agree with if we win on Sunday there is "no way" we will be left out.  What if we win on Sunday, get blown out at home versus Louisville, lose at home versus N.D., and look bad in our first Big East tournament game versus a 9-16 seed?

We need to win 2 of the next 3 games for me to feel comfortable.  Even then, I wouldn't mind a win in the BET so that there is no nervousness on Selection Sunday.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2010, 06:45:27 PM »
I don't know if I agree with if we win on Sunday there is "no way" we will be left out.  What if we win on Sunday, get blown out at home versus Louisville, lose at home versus N.D., and look bad in our first Big East tournament game versus a 9-16 seed?

We need to win 2 of the next 3 games for me to feel comfortable.  Even then, I wouldn't mind a win in the BET so that there is no nervousness on Selection Sunday.

I don't think there will be very much nervousness on selection sunday if MU wins 2 of 3 and finishes 11-7. That would put us at a 5 or 6 seed in the conf tourney and our likely first opponent would still be a pretty good team

2 of the next 4 should be a lock. Hopefully we get one tomorrow and then need 1 of 3

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 07:22:07 PM »
and . . . we're downright exciting to watch - makes good for ratings!