Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Basketball Scoring Question  (Read 2077 times)

GGGG

• All American
Basketball Scoring Question
« on: February 25, 2010, 08:59:11 AM »
If a defensive player intercepts a pass, that is obviously a steal.  Is it also a turnover by the offensive team?

In other words, I know that every turnover isn't a steal...but can a steal also be a turnover...is every steal a turnover?

MUCrew

• All American
Re: Basketball Scoring Question
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 09:01:53 AM »
Yes that should be a turnover.

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 09:07:13 AM »
Yes, Every steal is a turnover.  Basically any possession that doesn't end in a made basket or defensive rebound (individual or team rebound if it went out of bounds) is a turnover.  That is the basis for Kenpom and other efficiency numbers.

Total Possessions = (Shots - Off. Rebounds) + Def. Rebounds + Turnovers.  Obviously there are a few exceptions such as the half expiring w/o a shot but for the most part that's pretty accurate.
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 10:18:35 AM »
Yes, Every steal is a turnover.  Basically any possession that doesn't end in a made basket or defensive rebound (individual or team rebound if it went out of bounds) is a turnover.  That is the basis for Kenpom and other efficiency numbers.

Total Possessions = (Shots - Off. Rebounds) + Def. Rebounds + Turnovers.  Obviously there are a few exceptions such as the half expiring w/o a shot but for the most part that's pretty accurate.

OK...thanks.  I was confused by this statement on CS:  "Marquette once again won the turnover battle decisively, turning it over only 8 times while forcing 15 by St. John’s. Perhaps more importantly, MU had 8 steals to only 2 for SJU."  I mean, MU had six more steals, so SJU having 7 more turnovers isn't all that surprising.

Also, that means Acker's only TO last night was when their big guy (luckily) picked his pocket and missed the lay up at the other end.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 10:41:07 AM »
I kind of remember a play where we lost the ball and the SJ's player dribbled the ball taking 1 or 2 steps and then we got it back but the shot clock was never reset. What are the rules for resetting the shot clock?

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 10:45:46 AM »
I kind of remember a play where we lost the ball and the SJ's player dribbled the ball taking 1 or 2 steps and then we got it back but the shot clock was never reset. What are the rules for resetting the shot clock?

I believe the rule is that the shot clock resets on a true change of possession between teams on a play like that.  I believe on the play you're talking about there was not really a change of possession, so there wouldn't be a steal or turnover.  Basically, that play had no effect on the box score.  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
Acker had a turnover--carrying the ball
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 10:54:26 AM »
In the second half, although it was hard to see, my computer didn't maximize compounded by the fact that Acker is 5 6

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 01:14:19 PM »
As long as we're asking how 'bout the following scenario...

Offensive player gets tied up with the defense player and the possession arrows points to defensive team.

Not a steal but it is a turnover?

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 01:23:37 PM »
I believe it's a turnover if arrow's with the defense (as you stated), and a complete non-stat if the arrow is with the offense.

disclaimer: I have almost zero knowledge of the actual rules of statkeeping.

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 01:28:16 PM »
As long as we're asking how 'bout the following scenario...

Offensive player gets tied up with the defense player and the possession arrows points to defensive team.

Not a steal but it is a turnover?

Yes, that would be a turnover.
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

feedback