collapse

* Recent Posts

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 06:36:07 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 06:25:35 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Pokemon GO  (Read 5816 times)

mueron

• Scholarship Player
Re: Pokemon GO
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2016, 07:05:34 PM »
Anyone play the new Doom 2016? What a blast! A little repetitive but the fast paced destruction combined with mêlée was a pleasure.

source?

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2016, 11:08:35 PM »
u want to sleep and play Pokemon Go and have no interest in the carnal knowledge of the opposite sex....I take everything back....clearly you're a 10 year old boy in real life ;)

In all seriousness, I'm a 35 year old that plays video games (XBox with the occasional laptop jaunts) so not unfamiliar with gaming and I don't have an F'ing clue why anyone would want to play Pokemon Go over the age of 16. I've seen it in action and once you get over the augmented reality function it's generally a time waste of a game (worse then most games which are by definition time wasters)

I'm all for grammar Nazi work but if you are going to call someone out at least make sure you get your own house in order.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 11:10:10 PM by source? »

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2016, 11:19:50 PM »
http://kotaku.com/pokemon-go-player-hits-cop-car-captured-on-camera-1783942861

I wonder if the family of the first person killed by a pokemon go driver can sue the hell out of Nintendo.    A family may have a big pay day coming.

"A driver was injured Tuesday night in Auburn after crashing while playing Pokémon Go.

Auburn Police responded to an accident around 10:45 p.m. ET to find a vehicle that had gone off the road and struck a tree. The driver admitted to actively playing the Pokémon Go game while driving, which caused him to be distracted."
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 11:25:52 PM by Blackhat »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2016, 06:51:35 AM »
I wonder if the family of the first person killed by a pokemon go driver can sue the hell out of Nintendo.    A family may have a big pay day coming.

"A driver was injured Tuesday night in Auburn after crashing while playing Pokémon Go.

Auburn Police responded to an accident around 10:45 p.m. ET to find a vehicle that had gone off the road and struck a tree. The driver admitted to actively playing the Pokémon Go game while driving, which caused him to be distracted."

I doubt that they would have much of a case against Nintendo. They didn't create the game.  They only  licensed the characters.
Have some patience, FFS.

mueron

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2016, 07:35:36 AM »
Pokemon GO doesn't kill people. People kill people. Seriously though no more liable than alcohol and firearm manufacturers.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2016, 07:38:34 AM »
I'm all for grammar Nazi work but if you are going to call someone out at least make sure you get your own house in order.

First, you are correct that I can't call others out for bad grammar if I don't have good grammar. Having said that there is a difference between mistaking then and than (or there, their, they're) and changing break to brake. My commentary was entirely around the current teenage culture of using wrong words intentionally in place of the right words (or so my brother who's a high school teacher tells me)
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2016, 07:39:31 AM »
I've been gaming since I was 5.  I was programming my own stuff on the Apple //c when I was 7.  I've been PC gaming since 10; I've been multi-player gaming over networks since high school (back when the "internet" was only found inside your swim trunks).  I have/had every Nintendo system beginning with the NES except the Virtual Boy and DS.  I've geocached on several occasions over the last decade or so.  I don't read instruction books, and technology isn't difficult for me.

I downloaded Pokemon GO last Thursday at around 6:30p.  It was deleted before 7:00p.

My take is that Pokemon Go is the soccer of video games... it's easy to learn and fun to play only for people who lack the talent and/or fortitude necessary for more complex games.  And you're looking down 95% of the time while playing.

This is outstanding, and I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only that finds this phenomenon stupid.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mueron

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2016, 08:26:50 AM »
First, you are correct that I can't call others out for bad grammar if I don't have good grammar. Having said that there is a difference between mistaking then and than (or there, their, they're) and changing break to brake. My commentary was entirely around the current teenage culture of using wrong words intentionally in place of the right words (or so my brother who's a high school teacher tells me)

How is that different? We both used words that sound the same but have different meanings. Anyway I'm sure you know the difference between then and than. I know the difference between break and brake. My fingers and your fingers typed out something out of muscle memory likely incorrectly. Who really cares I'm typing quickly on my phone? However if you swap are and our you are a scumbag.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2016, 08:54:58 AM »

How is that different? We both used words that sound the same but have different meanings. Anyway I'm sure you know the difference between then and than. I know the difference between break and brake. My fingers and your fingers typed out something out of muscle memory likely incorrectly. Who really cares I'm typing quickly on my phone? However if you swap are and our you are our a scumbag.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2016, 09:05:12 AM »

How is that different? We both used words that sound the same but have different meanings. Anyway I'm sure you know the difference between then and than. I know the difference between break and brake. My fingers and your fingers typed out something out of muscle memory likely incorrectly. Who really cares I'm typing quickly on my phone? However if you swap are and our you are a scumbag.

I am assured by my sources that there is a distinction for teenagers, but as I'm not a teenager I can't articulate them myself. It is now clear that you are not since you can't make the distinction....apparently you passed the Voight-Kampff, well done. I retract all previous accusations.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2016, 09:07:18 AM »
Checked it out briefly to see what the hype was about, but too much real world time needed for my taste. That said, I love that its popular. One more indicator that nerd culture is becoming acceptable in the mainstream. I grew up with Marvel Comics, AD&D, and my share of anime (I liked Ruruoni Kenshin more than the relatively plotless Pokemon). Nice to see the traditionally uncool things of my youth becoming cool.

Nerdry has been cool for at least the last 5 years. Once a bunch of hot girls in high school/early 20s started embracing nerd stuff the rocket ship took off. That's why the CEO of Snapchat is marrying a VS model.

PVMagic

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2016, 09:11:32 AM »
I work in a good sized trauma center ER and we are getting Pokemon Go injuries daily, including injuries severe enough to warrant trauma activations.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2016, 09:24:41 AM »
Nerdry has been cool for at least the last 5 years. Once a bunch of hot girls in high school/early 20s started embracing nerd stuff the rocket ship took off. That's why the CEO of Snapchat is marrying a VS model.

I think thats less about hot girls embracing nerd stuff and more that nerd stuff can bring you billions.  Thats why Spiegel is getting married to Miranda Kerr, he's not even a coding nerd.  He was a product design major.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2016, 09:33:20 AM »
Some friends had a man walk in front of their car while he was playing, they missed him but his comment was "Wow, that's the closest one yet today", Darwin's Law proves some folks never learn from their mistakes.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2016, 09:39:27 AM »
I miss Click Clacks and Jarts.

Better to get a concussion from the former or have my eye put out by the latter than to walk out into traffic trying to find Pokeymen and Pokeywomen.

Jarts - While cleaning her garage, my mom recently gave me a bin of old sports equipment that included the two rings from jarts but no jarts.  I was bummed!

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2016, 10:02:26 AM »
I think thats less about hot girls embracing nerd stuff and more that nerd stuff can bring you billions.  Thats why Spiegel is getting married to Miranda Kerr, he's not even a coding nerd.  He was a product design major.

It's a chicken or an egg thing. Nerd money comes as a result of nerd popularity because of nerds being accepted and in some cases preferred over "normal" culture i.e. jocks and BMOCs. I will say I believe this is a direct result of the pushing of STEM generally and to females in particular which is great.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2016, 10:17:33 AM »

Nerdry isn't cool, Money is cool. Get back to me when the organizer of your local Cosplay festival marries a V'S model.
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2016, 10:22:11 AM »
My 21 year old daughter just explained the appeal to me from a college student perspective.    She works in a coffee shop near campus that apparently is a 'stop'.     She says it may the greatest mixer she has seen.    Total strangers converging on the coffee shop and introducing themselves and teaming up while playing the game together.     Well, I guess it is better that sitting around in the basement or just bitching about everything on the internet. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2016, 10:28:30 AM »
Nerdry isn't cool, Money is cool. Get back to me when the organizer of your local Cosplay festival marries a V'S model.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree. Look at Big Bang Theory, Pokemon Go, Avengers or even Star Wars. Things that would have been a subculture 20 years ago are now mainstream, in fact, you can even be made fun of for not being involved in some of those things.

Money does tend to marry money, but nerd money was always a peg or two below more traditional forms of money. Now nerd money is on par with trust fund or acting or musician or sports money.

And if the local Cosplay leader has access to meet a VS model it could happen, just like if a low level marketing person at a fortune 500 company could meet and marry a VS model.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2016, 10:56:29 AM »
I think we'll have to agree to disagree. Look at Big Bang Theory, Pokemon Go, Avengers or even Star Wars. Things that would have been a subculture 20 years ago are now mainstream, in fact, you can even be made fun of for not being involved in some of those things.

Money does tend to marry money, but nerd money was always a peg or two below more traditional forms of money. Now nerd money is on par with trust fund or acting or musician or sports money.

And if the local Cosplay leader has access to meet a VS model it could happen, just like if a low level marketing person at a fortune 500 company could meet and marry a VS model.

Pokemon GO isn't nerd... nerds aren't going to waste time or space on Pokemon GO.

Sheldon will make some sort of analogy regarding Pokemon GO being to society what Scott Bakula was to the Star Trek franchise in the upcoming season... bank on it.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2016, 11:55:10 AM »
I work in a good sized trauma center ER and we are getting Pokemon Go injuries daily, including injuries severe enough to warrant trauma activations.

I know I'm not supposed to laugh at others' agony, but this is pretty effen funny.

So shoot me. Or, if you really want to punish me, make me play Pokeyman Go.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2016, 12:22:36 PM »

Some of the Cosplay folk look an awful lot like VS models. Jessica Nigri, Riddle, Vera Bambi, Monika Lee, the list goes on.

Now granted, not every cosplayer looks like Jess Nigri...
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2016, 12:30:49 PM »
I don't play but my kids do - probably because my kids aren't old enough to have their own phones so they are monopolizing ours.  Aside from my general 'to each his own' POV three things that i like about Pokemon Go are:

1 - Tower alluded to this but we are interacting with WAY more of our fellow Kansas City residence than we normally would.  Last Saturday on the street car, at the farmers market and at lunch we had pleasant conversations with others that started with Pokemon Go and most of those conversations were with 20 somethings that, for a variety of reasons, we never would have had interaction with. 

2 - As the first 'popular' augmented reality game it is pretty easy to see that in 5-10 years there will be some awesome adaptations/evolutions in both equipment and apps. 

3- google glass sales should benefit from Pokemon Go and would help ease peoples safety concerns.

brandx

« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2016, 12:54:50 PM »

Exactly.

Cool girls may embrace nerdy, but they still don't embrace nerds.